As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

June or September LSAT & Prep Class

John MatrixJohn Matrix Registered User regular
edited March 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
Quesiton for those of you in the know regarding this, I hear that the June LSAT is "easier." I'm sure there is little truth to this, but I am curious to know if they usually mix-up the formatting a little in June rather than September. i.e. fewer logic games in the experimental sections, etc.

I'm probably going to be taking the June LSAT and taking the prep class from scoreperfect beginning in April (I'm in Dallas). I've heard good things about it and I don't like Kaplan - took their GRE class and was less than impressed. Anyone heard good/bad things about scoreperfect?

John Matrix on

• Options
    QinguQingu Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I seriously doubt any LSAT is "easier" than any other. If it is, it's going to be weighted out anyway.

I've never heard of scoreperfect. I did a weekend course with Testmaster, which I thought was pretty good and not too expensive. I have also heard bad things about Kaplan.

Regardless of who you do test-prep with, here's something I did that probably helped a lot: every day, to and from work, I would do one practice section on my ~40 minute bus ride. Don't know if you work/ride a bus or whatever, but if you can force yourself to practice regularly under non-ideal conditions, it might help you, too.

Qingu on
  • Options
    John MatrixJohn Matrix Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Testmaster is the same as scoreperfect. In Texas they have to operate as scoreperfect to avoid copywrite issues.

John Matrix on
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    The experimental section isn't scored, and is timed separately from all the other sections, so why would you care if it's easier?

Thanatos on
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Thanatos wrote: »
    The experimental section isn't scored, and is timed separately from all the other sections, so why would you care if it's easier?

Since you don't know which section is the experimental one, you have to sweat both of them just in case; some people find the logic games section (or any section style, really, depending on your tastes) more draining than the other kinds. I think people would just rather do an extra reading section or whatever instead of an extra logic game section.

KalTorak on
  • Options
    QinguQingu Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Testmaster is the same as scoreperfect. In Texas they have to operate as scoreperfect to avoid copywrite issues.
    Ah, I see. Yeah, I'd recommend them (again, though, my only experience was with the weekend course).

It's kind of hilarious how litigious all the LSAT-prep companies are. Whatever you do, don't show your copyrighted Testmaster prep book to anyone!

Qingu on
  • Options
    A BearA Bear Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I've heard the same rumors about June, and the February one also sometimes carries the same "easier" or perhaps just "different" title. For what its worth normally June has a smaller pool of people taking the test.

I know little about Scoreperfect, but I figure you are paying a good deal of money to be enrolled in the class so make the most of it. A lot of getting ready for the test can (and should) be done on your own through running full-length official practice tests, and to use the resources and focus a structured class gives you to really polish up the trouble spots on your performance. Do not let the prep course be your only prep method.

A lot of what these courses sell is confidence and at a high price. I personally never found one that was worth its money but others swear by them. A lot of the usefulness of prepping for the LSAT rests in your personal prep habits and goals.

A Bear on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]