As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The Zune Thread: 64GB Zune HD Coming in April. $350 is the MSRP. Other Models -$20.

• ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    jonxp wrote: »
    ArcSyn wrote: »
    Lord Yod wrote: »
    Fun new Zune Marketplace policy:
    You receive an error message when you try to repurchase, redownload, or restore content from the Zune Marketplace

Symptoms
    When you try to redownload, to restore, or to repurchase tracks from the Zune Marketplace, you receive one of the following error messages:

[quote=Error message displayed in the Zune software:
    Error Code: C00D12EA An error occurred while communicating to Zune Marketplace. Make sure the date and time settings on your computer are not set to a future date, then try again.
    [quote=Error message displayed on the Zune device:
    Zune Marketplace is temporarily unavailable, please check back soon.

Cause
    The error occurs because you are trying to redownload, to repurchase, or to restore an MP3 track in the Zune software or on the Zune device. As the Zune Marketplace continues to push toward offering its complete music catalog in a digital rights management (DRM)-free MP3 format, we've made a change to our music recovery feature that aligns with many other online music retailers. MP3 tracks that are purchased from Zune Marketplace are not eligible for redownload, repurchase, or restore.

We strongly recommend that you make a backup copy of any MP3s that you purchase to make sure that your content will remain available for you to enjoy.[/quote][/QUOTE]

That's what actually made the Zune marketplace GOOD!! I hate that iTunes (and now Zune, I guess) and all these digital download places expect you to keep your own files backed up. What's the point of paying to download these things if they aren't going to let me redownload them if I lose them? The Steam model is what everything should be moving towards.[/QUOTE]

You're paying for the music, if I'm not mistaken.[/QUOTE]

I believe I'm also paying for a license to listen to said music. Losing the file doesn't mean I've lost the license, if I'm thinking straight.

Anyway, it's a shame to see Microsoft go this way, and I'm wondering if the labels have forced it?

Either way, all of my music comes from CDs still since I despise policies like this and prefer to have an excellent "backup" copy. If I were to do anything, it'd be getting a Zune Pass where the policy doesn't matter anyway (except for the 10 downloads a month).

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • AggroChanAggroChan __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2009
    Just made this Zune BG, Scott Pilgrim fans might like :D
    scottzune.jpg

AggroChan on
    PSN + Zune :>
    Sillender.jpgSillender.png
  • SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    That's what actually made the Zune marketplace GOOD!! I hate that iTunes (and now Zune, I guess) and all these digital download places expect you to keep your own files backed up. What's the point of paying to download these things if they aren't going to let me redownload them if I lose them? The Steam model is what everything should be moving towards.

Reasons like this I avoid digital distribution in all forms (Steam included, if I can help it). I've been extremely pleased with my Zune 80 for the past almost two years, but I've yet to actually purchase anything from the Zune marketplace (much less iTunes).

That being said, it's too bad that's now the case.

Synthesis on
  • DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Here's another Zune wallpapers I made, I just cropped a photo I found on deviantart:

zunewall1.jpg

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • spookymuffinspookymuffin ( ° ʖ ° ) Puyallup WA Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I put this in the last thread, reposting it here. My Zune walls Flickr album, updated whenever I feel like: Check it out!

spookymuffin on
    PSN: MegaSpooky // 3DS: 3797-6276-7138
    Wii U NNID: MegaSpooky
    edited March 2009
    Is there an easy way to update tags?

Here's what I'm doing and an explanation for the above question:
    I discovered that most of these programs (iTunes, Zune) do not immediately update the tags on the files when you change them in the program. They merely update their own databases because it's faster and less "in-your-face". After some time or after so many tags stack up, they do it in the background, but it's unreliable. So I recently went through my entire collection over the course of a few days, and tagged all my music using Foobar, which immediately applies the changes to the files.

Now that I've finished there, I imported all my music into the Zune software and iTunes. Now I'm going through and making sure all my changes are correct and see if anything got missed (like multiple artist albums that I may have forgotten to set an album artist so it doesn't show up in 10 different locations). I've found a few problems, so I loaded up foobar to make the changes. Neither Zune or iTunes recognizes the changes immediately. Do I have to delete and re-add the files to get the changes to show up? Or will they eventually see the tag changed?

And is there an easier way to get album art in there? Most of these folders have the folder.jpg art, but Zune didn't pick up on them, and I haven't gotten around to iTunes yet. It's annoying that when I click "Add Album Art" is starts in "My Pictures" rather than the folder the music is in because I then have to navigate to my external drive, music, artist, album to find the image. Drag and drop didn't seem to work unless I did something wrong.

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
    edited March 2009
    And is there an easier way to get album art in there? Most of these folders have the folder.jpg art, but Zune didn't pick up on them, and I haven't gotten around to iTunes yet. It's annoying that when I click "Add Album Art" is starts in "My Pictures" rather than the folder the music is in because I then have to navigate to my external drive, music, artist, album to find the image. Drag and drop didn't seem to work unless I did something wrong.

I've tried to figure this out for quite a while....to my best knowledge, there's no way to alter the default path or get it to save it based on the last location. The closest things I could figure out were moving my album art to the 'My Pictures' directory temporarily (it doesn't need to remain there), or using the Zune's own album art finder. At least with American music, it does a good job.

Thankfully, the Zune software can read the included album art/tag information in American, Japanese, and Taiwanese CDs (recent ones anyway). Won't display the characters properly, but still a nice change.

Synthesis on
  • AggroChanAggroChan __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2009
    Is there an easy way to update tags?

Here's what I'm doing and an explanation for the above question:
    I discovered that most of these programs (iTunes, Zune) do not immediately update the tags on the files when you change them in the program. They merely update their own databases because it's faster and less "in-your-face". After some time or after so many tags stack up, they do it in the background, but it's unreliable. So I recently went through my entire collection over the course of a few days, and tagged all my music using Foobar, which immediately applies the changes to the files.

Now that I've finished there, I imported all my music into the Zune software and iTunes. Now I'm going through and making sure all my changes are correct and see if anything got missed (like multiple artist albums that I may have forgotten to set an album artist so it doesn't show up in 10 different locations). I've found a few problems, so I loaded up foobar to make the changes. Neither Zune or iTunes recognizes the changes immediately. Do I have to delete and re-add the files to get the changes to show up? Or will they eventually see the tag changed?

copy the album art and right click the album, there'll be a paste option

AggroChan on
    PSN + Zune :>
    Sillender.jpgSillender.png
  • RCagentRCagent Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Holy Shit. So after using a guitar pick and fucking around with the sync port on my zune, and it still not working I decided in my frustration to throw and slam my Zune onto the floor.

Somehow this fixed the sync port. And My Zune is now charging.

Holy shit. Abuse works apparently.

EDIT: Okay nevermind. Now it's not charging or syncing, but alteast its now being recognized as everytime I connect my sync cable in there it tries to turn on. But it doesn't charge. Perhaps more slams onto the floor.

RCagent on
  • ArrathArrath Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    RCagent wrote: »
    Holy Shit. So after using a guitar pick and fucking around with the sync port on my zune, and it still not working I decided in my frustration to throw and slam my Zune onto the floor.

EDIT: Okay nevermind. Now it's not charging or syncing, but alteast its now being recognized as everytime I connect my sync cable in there it tries to turn on. But it doesn't charge. Perhaps more slams onto the floor.

Gotta love electronics that do that.

Arrath on
  • RCagentRCagent Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Arrath wrote: »

Gotta love electronics that do that.

No kidding. This is confusing as hell. So now it's teasing me by atleast charging up to the point where the operating system on the ZUNE turns on, but from there on it stops charging and doesn't send anything to my computer. Beautiful.

Okay, so bending the top part of the sync port with a guitar pick seems to make it charge at the beginning. I should probably go this route. Either way I'mm probably going to need a new Zune thanks to a crappy sync cable which got jammed.

RCagent on
  • drunkenpandarendrunkenpandaren Slapping all the goblin ham In the top laneRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    drunknpandaren.png

Mmm, that's delicious. I kinda wish that they would merge Zune with wmp while keeping Zune like interface but I'm crazy and rabid and I have no idea what I'm talking about.

drunkenpandaren on
    Origin: HaxtonWasHere
    Steam: pandas_gota_gun
  • Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    well, Microsoft has the problem that if they integrate Zune with Windows Media Player and their marketplace then there's another antitrust suit on their hands

it's unfortunate, but I'm pretty sure that's why we'll never see the level of interoperability of Windows with Zune that Apple has with iStuff

Centipede Damascus on
    edited March 2009
    well, Microsoft has the problem that if they integrate Zune with Windows Media Player and their marketplace then there's another antitrust suit on their hands

it's unfortunate, but I'm pretty sure that's why we'll never see the level of interoperability of Windows with Zune that Apple has with iStuff

They couldn't "include" it with Windows, but if they made a separate "media package" (Zune/WMP, Movie Maker, Songsmith trial, etc) that shipped out to all OEMs for PCs sold, or offered it as a free online downloadable, they could achieve the same interoperability.

It's how Apple bundles so much into their computers. They give you iLife with it, but it's technically not part of OSX.

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
    edited March 2009
    I added about 50 new walls to my Flickr album, check it out. Nice little gems like these:

3346478972_8cf11b1e47.jpg3345644471_2b167f12cf.jpg

3346478776_78e537339b.jpg3345644783_f0f9ce3408.jpg

I got bored.

spookymuffin on
  • Lucky CynicLucky Cynic Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Man my Zune 30 is fuuucked. And I called up tech support which they said it would run me $130 to get a fresh one...

Does this sound right? Is it really that expensive to replace something out of warranty? =/

Lucky Cynic on
  • Mmmm... Cocks...Mmmm... Cocks... Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Man I love the Zune software so much but I get so many random errors sometimes that won't let me log in or listen to music in the store.

They always resolve themselves in a couple hours to which I think pisses me off more that it's something I can't fix.

Edit: Right now I'm recieving "Unknown Error" :|

Edit 2: Anyone else not use their pass right now? It's killing me.

Mmmm... Cocks... on
  • risumonrisumon Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Man my Zune 30 is fuuucked. And I called up tech support which they said it would run me $130 to get a fresh one...

Does this sound right? Is it really that expensive to replace something out of warranty? =/

What is fuct with it?

risumon on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited March 2009
    When my Zune turns on, it gets stuck on the Zune logo loading thing and the HD just makes loud and noticeable clicking sounds.

Thats not good. :<

Lucky Cynic on
    edited March 2009
    When my Zune turns on, it gets stuck on the Zune logo loading thing and the HD just makes loud and noticeable clicking sounds.

Thats not good. :<

That is not good. Given the clicking noise (is the regular?), I suspect it could be bad sectors or something else with the hard drive. Given the Zune's software, I can see why it would obstruct loading entirely, rather than just come at a certain point.

Synthesis on
    edited March 2009
    The hard drive on the little fucker is fucked. No ways around it. QQ

Lucky Cynic on
  • risumonrisumon Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Upgrade to 40gb

Refurb Drive $60

If you are comfortable with tinkering with it, I would say give it a shot. Otherwise I would say get a new flash one or 120gb and have a warranty again. At $130 it doesn't seem worth it to just repair, unless you have some emotional attachement to that particular guy. Of course if it is something more than just the HD you could still be fuct anyways.

risumon on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited March 2009
    I'd agree with Risumon....unless you're emotionally attached to your current unit, you might want to consider getting a new one.

Of course, if you're familiar with tinkering, you might to consider it. There's a surprising number of DYI-plans for the Zune.

Synthesis on
  • LegacyLegacy Stuck Somewhere In Cyberspace The Grid(Seattle)Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2009
    jonxp wrote: »
    Lord Yod wrote: »
    Fun new Zune Marketplace policy:
    You receive an error message when you try to repurchase, redownload, or restore content from the Zune Marketplace

Symptoms
    When you try to redownload, to restore, or to repurchase tracks from the Zune Marketplace, you receive one of the following error messages:

[quote=Error message displayed in the Zune software:
    Error Code: C00D12EA An error occurred while communicating to Zune Marketplace. Make sure the date and time settings on your computer are not set to a future date, then try again.
    [quote=Error message displayed on the Zune device:
    Zune Marketplace is temporarily unavailable, please check back soon.

Cause
    The error occurs because you are trying to redownload, to repurchase, or to restore an MP3 track in the Zune software or on the Zune device. As the Zune Marketplace continues to push toward offering its complete music catalog in a digital rights management (DRM)-free MP3 format, we've made a change to our music recovery feature that aligns with many other online music retailers. MP3 tracks that are purchased from Zune Marketplace are not eligible for redownload, repurchase, or restore.

We strongly recommend that you make a backup copy of any MP3s that you purchase to make sure that your content will remain available for you to enjoy.
    [/QUOTE]

That's what actually made the Zune marketplace GOOD!! I hate that iTunes (and now Zune, I guess) and all these digital download places expect you to keep your own files backed up. What's the point of paying to download these things if they aren't going to let me redownload them if I lose them? The Steam model is what everything should be moving towards.[/QUOTE]

You're paying for the music, if I'm not mistaken.[/QUOTE]

I believe I'm also paying for a license to listen to said music. Losing the file doesn't mean I've lost the license, if I'm thinking straight.

Anyway, it's a shame to see Microsoft go this way, and I'm wondering if the labels have forced it?

Either way, all of my music comes from CDs still since I despise policies like this and prefer to have an excellent "backup" copy. If I were to do anything, it'd be getting a Zune Pass where the policy doesn't matter anyway (except for the 10 downloads a month).[/QUOTE]

Yeah, that's bullshit, but it seems like it might just apply to the DRM-Free MP3 tracks. You can still buy regular tracks that aren't DRM-Free, right? Or is that just the Zune Pass music you don't buy?

It's fucking bullshit to think you can only download it once and if something happens you'll have to buy it again. Digital information shouldn't have policies like that. It's one of the reasons I stopped using iTunes and one of the reasons I actually buy things on the 360 and on Steam. It doesn't make any damned sense other than for bandwidth reasons.

Legacy on
    Can we get the chemicals in. 'Cause anything's better than this.
  • Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    i remember when i was on zune pass, therandom songs i couldn't get as they were 'buy only'
    granted this was back before the massive update so it could be different now.

Local H Jay on
  • bobAkirafettbobAkirafett Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Also, can't you sort your songs by sync status in the software by clicking on the sync status column?

I can click on that header until the end of time, but it does not sort it in any view mode that I can find.

bobAkirafett on
    akirasig.jpg
  • DorkaliciousDorkalicious Registered User regular
    edited March 2009

I don't know whether to laugh or scream in terror. Maybe you stripped the port or something when you originally yanked the first cable out of your player? Is your player still under warranty?

Dorkalicious on
    edited March 2009
    So uh, two questions guys, does anybody care about the zune.net social and how cool it is and how like a mini facebook it is? or should I just eh, and say to hell with it?

Btw guys, the new John Legend album is awesome. He's so cool and has such class and skill. :D

Lucky Cynic on
    edited March 2009
    It need a couple more features, but it's decent for what it is.

spookymuffin on
    edited March 2009
    I haven't hardly even looked at it, I don't use facebook or myspace or any of that faggot social networking stuff. :P

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • bentbent Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I liked the Zune social but it doesn't really do anything that last.fm hasn't already been providing to me for aaaages.

I'm also slightly jaded as the Zune 30 I got off eBay has the dodgiest of batteries.

bent on
    sig1.png
  • LegacyLegacy Stuck Somewhere In Cyberspace The Grid(Seattle)Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2009
    bent wrote: »
    I liked the Zune social but it doesn't really do anything that last.fm hasn't already been providing to me for aaaages.

I'm also slightly jaded as the Zune 30 I got off eBay has the dodgiest of batteries.

Yeah, I'm tempted almost every other day to buy a newer Zune because I got a refurbed 30 with a crappy battery. I just wish that they made a new model that was as big and sturdy as the original. If I could get one of the new 8GB or 16GB versions that weren't tiny as all hell, I'd have one now. I always hate when they make the reliable solid-state-drive MP3 players and then make them so small, they should be prizes at the bottom of a box of cereal. Small electronics shouldn't be too small. Things that can survive a 6-foot-drop or being stepped on are great. Oh well. I'm sure I'll cave soon and buy a 120GB one. :\

Legacy on
    Can we get the chemicals in. 'Cause anything's better than this.
  • bentbent Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I think if I buy a new MP3 player it's going to have to be an iPod - the second I can get an actual warranty on a zune in the UK I will.

bent on
    sig1.png
    edited March 2009
    I added about 50 new walls to my Flickr album, check it out. Nice little gems like these:

I got bored.

I don't suppose I could get that flickr album in a zip could I? I'm too lazy to look at and dl them, but there were some nice ones on there.

bobAkirafett on
    akirasig.jpg
  • CrashtardCrashtard Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    risumon wrote: »
    Upgrade to 40gb

Refurb Drive $60

If you are comfortable with tinkering with it, I would say give it a shot. Otherwise I would say get a new flash one or 120gb and have a warranty again. At $130 it doesn't seem worth it to just repair, unless you have some emotional attachement to that particular guy. Of course if it is something more than just the HD you could still be fuct anyways.

You definitely want to go this route. My dad and I both have Zune 30's, and the HD recently died in his and he replaced it with a 60GB HD. From what he said it sounded pretty easy, and he doubled the storage. If I get to a point where I actually sync mine full I'll definitely go that route too.

In other news, I love my Zune. I had a 5th gen ipod classic, and I love my Zune so much more. I think the best thing about it is that I was finally able to get rid of stupid itunes finally. Good riddance.

Crashtard on
    I pinky swear that we will not screw you.

Crashtard.jpg
  • CrashtardCrashtard Registered User regular
    edited March 2009

I got bored.

I don't suppose I could get that flickr album in a zip could I? I'm too lazy to look at and dl them, but there were some nice ones on there.

Are you using Firefox? If so just install the Downthemall extension and snag them in bulk if you can't get a zip file of them all.

Crashtard on
    I pinky swear that we will not screw you.

Crashtard.jpg
    edited March 2009
    Crashtard wrote: »

I got bored.

Are you using Firefox? If so just install the Downthemall extension and snag them in bulk if you can't get a zip file of them all.

Ok, I really don't know how to get it to just dl the images when they're full size. I need a walk through because apparently I'm retarded.

It opens each thumbnails link ok, and saves the page that the fullsize pic is on, but I just want to save the full size pictures not the .htm page that it's on.

bobAkirafett on
    akirasig.jpg
    edited March 2009
    You guys want to start talking about music and stuff in this thread a bit too? I mean, lots of us have the zune pass so mingling and trying each other's songs could be rather fun. :3

Lucky Cynic on
  • Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    look, everybody should just download everything by Johnny Cash, Joe Cocker, and Tom Waits

there's nothing more you need

Centipede Damascus on
    edited March 2009
    You guys want to start talking about music and stuff in this thread a bit too? I mean, lots of us have the zune pass so mingling and trying each other's songs could be rather fun. :3

I would but I listen to almost nothing except awful, awful music. And my roommate sometimes uses my Zune pass so then it looks like I listen to even worse shit. :D

Seriously, I think the things I've listened to the most are the Conan the Barbarian soundtrack, Static-X, Marilyn Manson, Hatebreed, Otep, Korn, Mindless Self Indulgence, Orgy, and Gogol Bordello.
    edit: oh, and lots of video game soundtracks but none of those are from the Zune marketplace.

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
This discussion has been closed.