As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The Zune Thread: 64GB Zune HD Coming in April. $350 is the MSRP. Other Models -$20.

• DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    It's been out for a while now, but the Stopwatch app has a pretty refreshingly awesome UI for such a simple function. I really like how they implemented it.

Dehumanized on
  • Dark ShroudDark Shroud Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Dragon6860 wrote: »
    Sadly true, but I think it would only be to MS's advantage to push this, or at least don't shut it down. Apple is losing it's image of indi/anti-man, and while it would be nice to see the Zune take it's spot, it probably won't happen. On that note, however, I am really looking forward to WinMo 7 :-D Finally getting a Zune Phone.

Technically it would be WinPho 7.

But yes I hope they update the Zune HD to run the same Silverlight & XNA apps as Windows Phone 7. So it's a pair like the iPhone & iPod Touch.

Unless HTC releases some awesome Windows Phone 7 handset I'll be getting a Dell Lightning at launch. That is one slick looking phone and it seems to have everything I want. I was going to buy a ZuneHD but now I'm waiting. I seriously hope there is a Skype and/or Vonage app for the Windows Phone platform.

Dark Shroud on
  • EvanderEvander Disappointed Father Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I'm betting against the HD being updated to WinPho7 (minus the Pho). I went aherad and sold my HD to my brother for $200 (keeping my 120, I'm not Zuneless). I'll just go ahead and buy a WinTouch when it eventually comes out.

Evander on
  • JokermanJokerman Everything EverywhereRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Jokerman on
  • noir_bloodnoir_blood Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Is anyone having issues with music being downloaded into their zune? Mainly that it randomly seems to put new music into the unknown artist category.

It's weird because it shows up under my collection, but under my device collection, as well as with the zune itself, it all just gets grouped under unknown artist. Seems to happen a lot more with comedy albums.

noir_blood on
  • SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Every so often, this happens (very, very rarely, for me).

I find it helps to delete the song off the Zune and reload it. Sometimes I'll get a song left in 'unknown genre', even though the Zune data is correct.

Synthesis on
  • LeCausticLeCaustic Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Sadly true, but I think it would only be to MS's advantage to push this, or at least don't shut it down. Apple is losing it's image of indi/anti-man, and while it would be nice to see the Zune take it's spot, it probably won't happen. On that note, however, I am really looking forward to WinMo 7 :-D Finally getting a Zune Phone.

But yes I hope they update the Zune HD to run the same Silverlight & XNA apps as Windows Phone 7. So it's a pair like the iPhone & iPod Touch.

Unless HTC releases some awesome Windows Phone 7 handset I'll be getting a Dell Lightning at launch. That is one slick looking phone and it seems to have everything I want. I was going to buy a ZuneHD but now I'm waiting. I seriously hope there is a Skype and/or Vonage app for the Windows Phone platform.

Have they said where these phones are going (Verizon, att, etc)?

LeCaustic on
    Your sig is too tall. -Thanatos
    kaustikos.png
  • ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I believe I saw that all of the Dell devices are currently going to AT&T. I'm guessing because they are also developing these for worldwide use, which is the same/similar network at AT&T. I think the only carrier that uses CDMA/EVDO outside of Verizon/Sprint is Vodafone, iirc.

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
    edited May 2010
    LeCaustic wrote: »

Have they said where these phones are going (Verizon, att, etc)?

All major networks will get some version of a Win7 Phone, even in Europe on Orange. But yeah the Dell Lightning will most likely be AT&T. And since I'm not in San Francisco or L.A. I don't have an issue with that.

Dark Shroud on
  • PhotosynthesisPhotosynthesis Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Recently I've been having a rather aggravating problem with my Zune HD, being that when I turn it on and start to listen to music, after about a minute of playing a song it will reset itself, turning off entirely and then having to boot up again. After it's reset, it sometimes does it again (I've had it reset 5 times in a row) and sometimes it'll be ok for a while.

I've googled around a bit and seen people talking about how it shuts off due to static electricity, but there doesn't seem to be much evidence of it, just speculation.

If anybody knows if it's repairable or if I should just replace it that'd be great.

Photosynthesis on
  • DixonDixon Screwed...possibly doomed CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    ArcSyn wrote: »
    I believe I saw that all of the Dell devices are currently going to AT&T. I'm guessing because they are also developing these for worldwide use, which is the same/similar network at AT&T. I think the only carrier that uses CDMA/EVDO outside of Verizon/Sprint is Vodafone, iirc.

Bell and Telus up in Canada use the CDMA technology too, but are in the process of switching to HSPA+
    They still get new phones that are CDMA though ala Storm 2 or Curve 8530.

Dixon on
    edited May 2010
    anyone know a brick and morter place to buy a 64gb?

Jokerman on
    edited May 2010
    Jokerman wrote: »

I'm pretty sure that model is only sold directly by MS.

Dark Shroud on
  • Lucky CynicLucky Cynic Registered User regular
    edited May 2010

Yep, gotta go through Zune Originals for now.

Lucky Cynic on
    edited May 2010

Well that's a load of bullshit. Good job Microsoft, you've now left me to either buy your product online, and wait for it to be delivered, or go to Walmart and buy an Ipod touch for 50 bucks more and use it now.

Awesome...good job...

Jokerman on
  • TheUnsane1TheUnsane1 PhiladelphiaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010

Well that's a load of bullshit. Good job Microsoft, you've now left me to either buy your product online, and wait for it to be delivered, or go to Walmart and buy an Ipod touch for 50 bucks more and use it now.

Awesome...good job...

To be fair to my knowledge only Best Buy really carries zunes in brick and mortar as far as national chains go.

TheUnsane1 on
    steam_sig.png
    edited May 2010
    TheUnsane1 wrote: »

Awesome...good job...

To be fair to my knowledge only Best Buy really carries zunes in brick and mortar as far as national chains go.

Walmart caries them as well, just not in 64gb capacity.

Jokerman on
  • TheUnsane1TheUnsane1 PhiladelphiaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010

I haven't seen them at local walmarts ever I'll have to take a look next time I go.

TheUnsane1 on
    steam_sig.png
    edited May 2010

I haven't seen them at local walmarts ever I'll have to take a look next time I go.

yeah man, and I live out in the boonies, you should definantly be able to find it there.

Jokerman on
  • prfntbtrprfntbtr Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    So, my birthday recently passed and I am lucky enough that my wonderful girl has ordered me a Zune HD original, hope to have it in the next week or however long it takes to get here. Pretty damned excited despite all the HD2 hocus pocus talk. Apps schmapps, what I truly want first and foremost is a slick mp3 player and this obviously fits the bill. I had just been holding off for something with more than the 32 gigs of storage and the 64 certainly is that. Anyway, what are you guys using for screen and or full body protectors for your HD's? I am thinking that a case would be pretty dumb since I would not be able to see the art on the back, plus adding bulk to the amazing smallness that is the HD would be terrible. I guess I am just worried that applying one of those sticker type protectors would make it look or feel less awesome. Suggestions?

prfntbtr on
  • ImpersonatorImpersonator Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    See through case?

Impersonator on
  • Ghostly ClockworkGhostly Clockwork Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    To be honest, I don't use a case. I'm careful not to put it in the pocket with my keys, but other than that, holds up great :) I've dropped it, tossed it around, held up no problem, it's a durable little bugger.

Ghostly Clockwork on
    FTC: honk.
    FTC: HONK.

HLRpxno.png
    PAX Prime 2014 Resistance Tournament Winner
  • ImpersonatorImpersonator Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Well, it's better to be safe than to be sorry. You never know when something bad might happen, so if a $5 case can save your +$200 gadget, I say it's a good investment.

Impersonator on
  • Commander 598Commander 598 Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    My Zune Premium headphones are losing volume in one ear, anybody know any cheap substitutes that can manage it's "cancel noise" and "not fall the fuck out of my ear" features since you apparently have to pay Amazon almost $60 to get new ones now?

Commander 598 on
    edited May 2010
    I own a case for my ZHD but don't use it, because every case option I've come across blocks the sync port. Maybe half of my listening is in the car using that port. I just have a screen protector on, though I don't really think I need it. After 6 months of ownership the only blemishes that have shown up is a slight bit of scoring on the face of the device, next to the side control button.

The only real precautions I bother with is that the device doesn't get put in the same pocket as anything else I happen to be carrying (cell phone, keys, wallet, etc.)

Dehumanized on
    edited May 2010
    If you want something that won't block the art on the back, look into the bestskinsever stuff. It'll keep it from scratching up if you do ever put it in the same pocket as your keys. I have it on my 120, but I don't know if you would want to put it on a touch screen. It's not a terrible feel, but it's not as smooth as glass. You could put the back on first and then see if that texture would be something you want on the front too.

Anyway, I've put it on a few devices of mine and I love it.

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • prfntbtrprfntbtr Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Thanks for the ideas. If I put my OG Zune 30 in a pocket it is usually my back pocket, and hey, no keys there. There are plenty of scratches on the plastic body there, but I guess that the metal on the HD would just plain hold up to more stress. Maybe I don't need a protector? The bestskinever looks interesting, somebody mentioned them making everything they are applied to super shiny so I wasn't sure if that would be weird...

prfntbtr on
    edited May 2010
    Not really super shiny, but it's like a semi-gloss plastic-like coating. Less shiny than a sheet of glass or polished aluminum, but more shiny than matte metal or plastic.

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    prfntbtr wrote: »
    So, my birthday recently passed and I am lucky enough that my wonderful girl has ordered me a Zune HD original, hope to have it in the next week or however long it takes to get here. Pretty damned excited despite all the HD2 hocus pocus talk. Apps schmapps, what I truly want first and foremost is a slick mp3 player and this obviously fits the bill. I had just been holding off for something with more than the 32 gigs of storage and the 64 certainly is that. Anyway, what are you guys using for screen and or full body protectors for your HD's? I am thinking that a case would be pretty dumb since I would not be able to see the art on the back, plus adding bulk to the amazing smallness that is the HD would be terrible. I guess I am just worried that applying one of those sticker type protectors would make it look or feel less awesome. Suggestions?

I use an Incipio Feather case, which is basically just a hard backing that comes with a clear plastic screen you can stick on as well.

Very minimal, but quite tough. Covers my customized text on the back though (so it will cover any art you have too).

Synthesis on
    edited June 2010
    I'm sorry, but does anyone have any renders or articles talking about this supposed HD2?

LeCaustic on
    kaustikos.png
  • Lucky CynicLucky Cynic Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I'm sorry, but does anyone have any renders or articles talking about this supposed HD2?

You mean the ZuneHD2 that only Gizmodo has mentioned once and nobody from MS has even hinted at?

Lucky Cynic on
    edited June 2010
    The HD2 is just an assumption that when WP7 comes out, they'll make similar models without the phone as the HD2 because WP7 is increasing the minimum specs for the devices and will have Zune capabilities.

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
    edited June 2010
    It seems kind of inevitable for there to be a Tegra 2 based Zune device sometime, but it could be a loooong ways off.

Dehumanized on
  • EvanderEvander Disappointed Father Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    ArcSyn wrote: »
    The HD2 is just an assumption that when WP7 comes out, they'll make similar models without the phone as the HD2 because WP7 is increasing the minimum specs for the devices and will have Zune capabilities.

It is an assumption that has unofficial confirmation from microsoft retail reps

of course, that was before management changes

Evander on
    edited June 2010
    I'm not paranoid. There is a cap on data downloads with ATT. Does that mean I'd be capped on marketplace downloads via Zune for WM7 if it comes out?!

LeCaustic on
    kaustikos.png
  • AyulinAyulin Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Probably. Isn't that the point of a data cap? :P

Ayulin on
    steam_sig.png
  • Ghostly ClockworkGhostly Clockwork Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Hmm...looks like Hulu is gonna start a subscription service on the 360 among other things. I really think this is leading up to a "all access" Pass. one subscription, and you get Zune pass, Xbox Live, Netflixs, Hulu and whatever else. MS already HAS the infrastructure to work in the "cloud" and with something like that, if all the devices can talk to each other, could be really awesome.

Ghostly Clockwork on
    FTC: honk.
    FTC: HONK.

HLRpxno.png
    PAX Prime 2014 Resistance Tournament Winner
    edited June 2010
    Hmm...looks like Hulu is gonna start a subscription service on the 360 among other things. I really think this is leading up to a "all access" Pass. one subscription, and you get Zune pass, Xbox Live, Netflixs, Hulu and whatever else. MS already HAS the infrastructure to work in the "cloud" and with something like that, if all the devices can talk to each other, could be really awesome.

I'd die of happiness. Seriously, if that worked out, WHY buy iphones?

LeCaustic on
    kaustikos.png
    edited June 2010

I'd die of happiness. Seriously, if that worked out, WHY buy iphones?

Because MS despite having the best hardware and infrastructure doesn't have celebrities using their products to give an appearance of cool.

The Dell Lightning can't come out soon enough.

Dark Shroud on
  • amnesiasoftamnesiasoft Thick Creamy Furry Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Seriously, if that worked out, WHY buy iphones?
    Because MS despite having the best hardware and infrastructure doesn't have celebrities using their products to give an appearance of cool.
    I'd say it's more a case of "They don't have Steve Jobs." I'm rather fearful of what happens the day Steve Jobs is no longer a part of Apple. Just think of all the anti-monopoly stuff that will be thrown against Microsoft and probably destroy all their good services.

amnesiasoft on
    steam_sig.png
This discussion has been closed.