As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

LOST - SEASON 5 FINALE TONIGHT - It will eat your soul

mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
edited May 2009 in Debate and/or Discourse
lostbanner.jpg

Lost is here, and it's pretty fuckawesome.

Next *new* episode: "Follow The Leader" airs 5/6/09 at 9PM
ABC Promo for "Follow The Leader": Use spoiler tags when discussing things from: "The Variable"

The Spoiler Policy:
ElJeffe has laid out this spoiler rule. Read it, and abide by it, or you will be forced to turn the donkey wheel and be banished from the thread.
mod edit: Nothing from seasons 1-4 needs to be spoilered in here; if you haven't seen those and don't want to have them spoiled, this is not the thread for you. Speculation about what might happen during season 5 does not need to be spoiled. Rumors or confirmed knowledge of upcoming season 5 happenings should obviously be spoilered, as well as discussion of the current week's events. Episodes more than one week old may be discussed without spoiler tags.
I'd just like to add to please use your judgement when it comes to some of the giant story arc's now that we're getting some answers on the show. If all the sudden, out of nowhere, you start asking specific questions about old episodes, even if you spoil the new parts, it could tip those of us who want to be suprised off that an episode will be dealing with something.
Also - please use spoiler tags for upcoming episode titles beyond the next one to air, and cast lists.

Stuff You Should Know:

- Be smart in here. This show is extremely easy to spoil, because of the way it tells it's story. So when in doubt please spoil, and don't ever be afraid to explain what's beyond the spoiler tag. Nothing is worse than thinking you're clicking on spoiler tag that's going to be the punchline of a joke, and finding out accidentally that Nikki and Paulo are going to die. For real severe spoilers (Season finales, major deaths), you could even throw the offer to PM someone with that info out there. It's always nice to give everyone a heads up as to what they'll get beyond the spoiler tag, so keep that in mind.

- LOSTpedia is the greatest asset you'll have in your quest to solve the mystery of the island. While it may seem like everyone in this thread is either blessed with a photographic memory or obsessed to the point that every episode has been watched thousands of times, the truth is a couple minutes on Lostpedia goes a real long way. If you have any theories, ideas, or just can't remember something that we're discussing, hit up Lostpedia and you'll be on your way. They have the same exact spoiler policy we do (EXCEPT on the forums they have!), so don't worry about stumbling on things. They do however, list the cast for upcoming episodes if you click on them, so be aware.

- They haven't told us what the smoke monster is yet.

PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
mxmarks on

• Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited March 2009
    Here is your new Lost thread, courtesy of mxmarks, more or less.

Monsieur Marks, you may edit the OP as you see fit; just leave the spoiler rule intact.

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    When I go crazy I plan on having a beard just like Jack's.

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • Options
    ZeroCowZeroCow Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    To add to the thread and mark it as well, I think we'll find out about the polar bears this season. I won't spoil the title of the upcoming episodes, but one of them that mxmarks posted really made me think that we find out about da' bears.

:edit:
    I think it'll be the episode with Hoth in the title.

I'm also really starting to hop on board of the idea that the island is Atlantis. I think the end of the show will be the producers coming on and laughing at America about how they get everyone to watch a sci-fi show.

ZeroCow on
    PSN ID - Buckeye_Bert
    Magic Online - Bertro
  • Options
    BladeXBladeX Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Malkor wrote: »
    When I go crazy I plan on having a beard just like Jack's.

I too would like to join the plan of growing an epic JackBeard when I go crazy. Although I will have to start growing the beard now as I can can get away with shaving once a week...

BladeX on
  • Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    OP needs more http://www.jackfaces.com
    wiigirl wrote: »
    I am wondering how Aaron will play a role in all of this.

Spoiler for speculation based on casting notes
    It seems very likely we'll see teenage Aaron and SunJin at some point.

Sir Carcass on
  • Options
    clsCorwinclsCorwin Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    So, next week is the clip show, right? I hate that.

clsCorwin on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Oooh, that sounds intriguing.

Also, hooray for
    more young Ben.

clsCorwin on
  • Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    clsCorwin wrote: »
    So, next week is the clip show, right? I hate that.

Actually, next week is a rerun of this week's episode. Clip show is April 22nd.
    jack_giddy.gif

Sir Carcass on
  • Options
    TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Speculation on how this season will end:
    The season will end with Widmore and his force arriving at/on the island (at the very end of the last episode), marking the start of the "war" that he promised was coming.

Tomanta on
  • Options
    MYTHOS20000MYTHOS20000 Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I don't believe anyone brought up the theory a few episodes back about the orginal recording that Rosseau's group came across upon arriving on the island being Hurley's voice? Here is a link to the recording:

http://www.sl-lost.com/2009/02/12/radio-transmission-hurley/

What do you think? The last couple numbers really do sound like him, and it makes sense now that we know the O6 ended up in '77. If it is Hurley, why would he have made that recording?

MYTHOS20000 on
    Six men, six giant..... voices.
    Up 'til 2 Vocal Band
    www.uptil2music.com
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    I don't believe anyone brought up the theory a few episodes back about the orginal recording that Rosseau's group came across upon arriving on the island being Hurley's voice? Here is a link to the recording:

http://www.sl-lost.com/2009/02/12/radio-transmission-hurley/

What do you think? The last couple numbers really do sound like him, and it makes sense now that we know the O6 ended up in '77. If it is Hurley, why would he have made that recording?

That would be another delicious paradox.

Edit: That totally sounds like Hurley.

Sir Carcass on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    So I just refreshed D&D.

I was pretty convinced that future me had time travelled and started this thread, and I didnt remember starting it because I haven't yet.

Thanks very much Jeffe - I'll edit some pics and stuff in today!

Also, the recording sounds like MINKOWSKI to me...

mxmarks on
    PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    That totally sounds like Hurley.

Given Hurley's hatred/fear of the numbers, I'm especially curious to know what would prompt him to record that.

clsCorwin on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    mxmarks wrote: »
    Also, the recording sounds like MINKOWSKI to me...

Yeah, that's possible too. The more I listen to it, the more I go back and forth.

Sir Carcass on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    I think the first half was kinda iffy, but the second half definitely sounded like Hurley. Ionno, we'll see

clsCorwin on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    To me, 23 sounds like Hurley and 42 sounds like Minkowski.

Sir Carcass on
  • Options
    MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I'm sure Hurley will be tricked. That's one damn thing I'm sure of.

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Do we know of a time when Minkowski was on the island? From what I remember, he was headed to the island in the Zodiac but turned around when his partner started going nuts, and the nosebleeds started when they got back to the freighter.

MYTHOS20000 on
    Up 'til 2 Vocal Band
    www.uptil2music.com
  • Options
    DesertBoxDesertBox Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    So here's my own crazy theory on the possible Charlotte age discrepancy. Charlotte and her mom leave the island via the time wheel room and skip ahead a few years. When they got back to the mainland, they just adjusted her birth certificate ~5 years to reflect her current age. Ben obviously got the info from her birth certificate or else he would've known she was born on the island not in Essex.

Facts to support this theory

1) Charlotte was the one that told Locke to go down the well in episode 'This Place is Death.' Cos the Orchid wasn't built yet, but that well was

2) Dharma was training bears to turn the time wheel. That was what the cages were for. So they knew of the wheel

3) They obviously succeeded since Charlotte found polar bear skeleton in Tunisia in the episode she was introduced. I also don't think Dharma time-skipped/nose bled themselves to death since they were there until the Purge

4) Why the hell would Charlotte know to look in Tunisia of all places, if she didn't have some memory of being there before? Her mother wouldn't tell her. I also don't recall her being the least bit surprised that she found a polar bear skeleton in Tunisia

Huh? Anyone?

DesertBox on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Damn. That sounds good. Locke skipped ahead 3 years, so we know that it's possible. Well played!

MYTHOS20000 on
    Up 'til 2 Vocal Band
    www.uptil2music.com
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    The only problem I have is why would Charlotte's mother have access to the FDW?

Sir Carcass on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    The FDW (Frozen Donkey Wheel for those who would have to look it up like I did) is at the bottom of the well. Obviously, it would've been wise for Dharma to restrict access, but someone in Dharma had access to get the bears there.

That someone could've been Charlotte's mom.

DesertBox on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    The more I think about it, though.... If that was indeed Charlotte that Dan saw, then in 1974 she looked at least 4 or 5 years old. For her to have foggy memories of the island due to being young, they would have had to leave in the next couple years or so. So for it to look about right that she was "born" in 1979, they would have had to time jump from roughly 1976 to 1985 or so. That seems like a pretty big jump. Not impossible, but a little weird.

MYTHOS20000 on
    Up 'til 2 Vocal Band
    www.uptil2music.com
  • Options
    DalbozDalboz Resident Puppy Eater Right behind you...Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Tomanta wrote: »
    The season will end with Widmore and his force arriving at/on the island (at the very end of the last episode), marking the start of the "war" that he promised was coming.

Wait, is there only one more season, or two more? I can't remember now. That may make a difference.

Dalboz on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    The next season (six) is the last one.

BladeX on
  • Options
    TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Dalboz wrote: »
    Tomanta wrote: »

Wait, is there only one more season, or two more? I can't remember now. That may make a difference.

One more.

Tomanta on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    The more I think about it, though.... If that was indeed Charlotte that Dan saw, then in 1974 she looked at least 4 or 5 years old. For her to have foggy memories of the island due to being young, they would have had to leave in the next couple years or so. So for it to look about right that she was "born" in 1979, they would have had to time jump from roughly 1976 to 1985 or so. That seems like a pretty big jump. Not impossible, but a little weird.

When Ben pushed the time wheel he jumped forward 9 months or so. When Locke did it, it was 3 years. I don't think there's any standard for the time forward jump

DesertBox on
  • Options
    mystikspyralmystikspyral Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I know this is kind of old news, but...

When I watched The Life and of Jeremy Bentham I was amped afterwards. It felt like the re-birth of old school Lost.

mystikspyral on
    "When life gives you lemons, just say 'Fuck the lemons,' and bail" :rotate:
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    DesertBox wrote: »

When Ben pushed the time wheel he jumped forward 9 months or so. When Locke did it, it was 3 years. I don't think there's any standard for the time forward jump

I totally agree, and think your theory is awesome sauce, I just wanted to estimate the time jump.

MYTHOS20000 on
    Up 'til 2 Vocal Band
    www.uptil2music.com
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    I dont know about the bears being used to push the wheel. It seems kinda excessive.

On one hand, it was cold down there, so polar bears would be able to live down there, I guess. It didn't look very roomy, but I guess you could have one down there.

But I feel like that would just be a giant waste of everyone's time. Both Locke and Ben pushed the wheel with very little problem - Locke with a compound fracture. It was tiring, but they both did it just fine.

I love having ideas AS I'm typing - but I just realized something! I was about to say turning the wheel isn't something you'd want to be doing often, so they wouldn't need bears for that on call. But then I realized -- what if you want to turn the wheel to move the island in time, but you yourself don't want to leave? SEND A BEAR DOWN! Bear gets dropped in Tunisia, and you're fine.

I still don't really understand why POLAR BEARS were used - hell, when Locke was down there it wasn't even cold at that time. But I went from disagreeing to agreeing in the course of 2 paragraphs.

mxmarks on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    I was just thinking about how the O6 basically all came back because Locke told them they had to because bad, terrible, awful things happened and they wern't supposed to leave.

They finally came back, and Sawyer and Juliet are the happiest they've ever been, Miles seemed content, Jin is doing fine...

I don't think the island needed them back at all. I think Ben did.

mxmarks on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    When Ben went down it was all frozen over. But you're right, when Locke went it didn't seem as cold.

As for the polar bears being trained to turn the wheel, that isn't my theory. That one has been batted around since the finale last year. To the point that it's accepted as true by some people. I agree it seems like an impractical way to do it, but people on the Island don't seem too concerned with practicality. It could be automated (but you could say that about the Button. Let's not start that argument again)

DesertBox on
  • Options
    deowolfdeowolf is allowed to do that. Traffic.Registered User regular
    edited March 2009

Narnia time.

deowolf on
    [SIGPIC]acocoSig.jpg[/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    When Ben went down it was all frozen over. But you're right, when Locke went it didn't seem as cold.

As for the polar bears being trained to turn the wheel, that isn't my theory. That one has been batted around since the finale last year. To the point that it's accepted as true by some people. I agree it seems like an impractical way to do it, but people on the Island don't seem too concerned with practicality. It could be automated (but you could say that about the Button. Let's not start that argument again)

Well, I am guessing when DHARMA happened upon the wheel, they either had a person turn the wheel first and freaked out when that person disappeared (and then trained strong, cold-resistant animals to do it to study WTF happens when its turned), or it was so difficult to move due to lack of use they had to use an animal large enough to turn it (that is smart enough to train and take commands and resisant to cold).

Question is: if they knew that whatever turns the wheel disappears, why does it have to be a cold weather animal? Obviously the animal won't be down there for long...

MYTHOS20000 on
    Up 'til 2 Vocal Band
    www.uptil2music.com
  • Options
    DeadfallDeadfall I don't think you realize just how rich he is. In fact, I should put on a monocle.Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Yeah, I just don't buy the polar bears being trained for the wheel theory at all.

How did they get the bears down there? That rickety little elevator thing? How were the bears pushing or pulling this wheel? It wasn't that big. Are the bears turning it with a harness? It didn't look like there was enough room for that. By standing up and literally pushing it? There was nothing in the bear cages from season 3 that would suggest they were being trained to turn a wheel of any kind.

I think the bears were brought over by Dharma just to "see if they could do it."

But then there was the polar bear skeleton in the desert. So, well, I could be totally wrong.

Deadfall on
    7ivi73p71dgy.png
    xbl - HowYouGetAnts
    steam - WeAreAllGeth
  • Options
    LineNoizLineNoiz Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Based on the polar bear in Tunisa, I'm going to go out on a limb here and say at least once, a polar bear turned the wheel. That may not have been the "intention" of bringing the polar bears in, but it did happen.

Perhaps this is the elusive "incident." Maybe Faraday sees this room, sees some smarty-pants polar bears that do tricks for fish biscuits and says to himself "I'll make a polar bear turn the wheel so we can all go Back to the Future!" Then boom, incident.

LineNoiz on
  • Options
    FireflashFireflash Montreal, QCRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    For some reason I didn't like the pregnant woman in this week's episode. Her acting felt weird to me. I think it's the faces she made sometimes.

Fireflash on
    PSN: PatParadize
    Battle.net: Fireflash#1425
    Steam Friend code: 45386507
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Fireflash wrote: »
    For some reason I didn't like the pregnant woman in this week's episode. Her acting felt weird to me. I think it's the faces she made sometimes.

But.. But.. Michelle from 24!

BladeX on
  • Options
    FireflashFireflash Montreal, QCRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    BladeX wrote: »
    Fireflash wrote: »

But.. But.. Michelle from 24!

I've never seen a single episode of 24!

Fireflash on
    PSN: PatParadize
    Battle.net: Fireflash#1425
    Steam Friend code: 45386507
  • Options
    DeadfallDeadfall I don't think you realize just how rich he is. In fact, I should put on a monocle.Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I couldn't believe Juliet fell for the "put in fake code, physically open up the code box, and slip in earplugs" bit.

Juliet, in season 3, was this cold, calculating woman who seemed pretty aware of what was going on. And she didn't see the lady actually open the box and hide something in her hand? Did the Others remove that little feature in the future?

Don't get me wrong, fantastic episode, but I just thought Juliet should have seen that coming a mile away.

Deadfall on
    7ivi73p71dgy.png
    xbl - HowYouGetAnts
    steam - WeAreAllGeth
This discussion has been closed.