As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Suspended from school over faith update

• Options
    HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Bandetta wrote:
    The Cat wrote:
    Has anyone pointed out yet that Bob Averill is/was Rambozo? Because he is, and this is ten kinds of hilarious. My day is made.

Was Rambozo. I learned a thing or two from you Cat. Specifically that arguing like an asshole gets me nowhere, which (as I explained) I was so careful to be inoffensive when discussing spirituality with that girl.

Christ, this is going to go south quickly. I guess you should know that I have changed since then, which is probably why you haven't re-banned me. I was a contentious prick, I understand that, and I changed my attitude accordingly in order to better fit in here.

Haven't I?
    Not really.

Hacksaw on
  • Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited November 2006
    The Cat wrote:
    Has anyone pointed out yet that Bob Averill is/was Rambozo? Because he is, and this is ten kinds of hilarious. My day is made.
    :lol:

Mine is, too.

Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    BandettaBandetta Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Hacksaw wrote:
    Not really.

Oh, okay. :(

Well jesus, I've honestly been trying. My efforts not to offend the girl with whom I had the discussion were part of a new strategy on my part called "Not being a massive Dawkins-esque asshole".

If this isn't enough, I'd like to know.
    Elkamil wrote:
    Mine is, too.

Because you've always been kind and reasonable, and never wanted for a second chance with anyone. Am I right? It's been years, dude. I hope you haven't branded me for life.

Bandetta on
  • Options
    sanstodosanstodo Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Bandetta wrote:
    Hacksaw wrote:
    Not really.

Well jesus, I've honestly been trying. My efforts not to offend the girl with whom I had the discussion were part of a new strategy on my part called "Not being a massive Dawkins-esque asshole".

Elkamil wrote:
    Mine is, too.

Because you've always been kind and reasonable, and never wanted for a second chance with anyone. Am I right?

I don't think you've been bad here. I honestly think that you don't understand how you come across, which is fixable.

I am similarly interested in the previous incidents since, due to my skepticism of announcements by schools, I wonder if they are actually severe/applicable to this situation or convenient items to trot out to justify their apparently unreasonable actions.

sanstodo on
  • Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    sanstodo wrote:
    Bandetta wrote:
    Hacksaw wrote:
    Not really.

Elkamil wrote:
    Mine is, too.

Because you've always been kind and reasonable, and never wanted for a second chance with anyone. Am I right?

I don't think you've been bad here. I honestly think that you don't understand how you come across, which is fixable.

I am similarly interested in the previous incidents since, due to my skepticism of announcements by schools, I wonder if they are actually severe/applicable to this situation or convenient items to trot out to justify their apparently unreasonable actions.
    I have difficulty imagining how you could ever possibly get "numerous" out of a topic like this, to the point that people make complaints. Are my worst fears true, is the level of discourse people are capable of alternately dealing with and responding to as low as my online Gen Eds have led me to believe?

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    JinniganJinnigan Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    i believe "smarmy" is the adjective i am looking for

Jinnigan on
    whatifihadnofriendsshortenedsiggy2.jpg
  • Options
    Hi I'm Vee!Hi I'm Vee! Formerly VH; She/Her; Is an E X P E R I E N C E Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Bandetta wrote:
    All I can say for sure is that I was indeed intent on being gentle and inoffensive precisely because I had learned in the past that one gets more flies with honey than vinegar.

What exactly do the "flies" represent in this analogy? I mean, specifically about this situation with the leprechaun girl.

Hi I'm Vee! on
    vRyue2p.png
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    sanstodo wrote:

On these forums? Actually yes I have. Perhaps you're not familiar with the little outburst that got me banned the first time. Not one of my prouder moments.

I deserved the knife in the eye that Cat gave me and I only snuck back in because I missed the sense of community and general reasonability that I used to shit all over.

It's gonna be hard to buy for alot of people I offended before, but I learned alot from my ban.

Actually the previous cases were unrelated to religion entirely. They involved me arguing over grades. It often didn't even matter because I was already passing, I've just never been able to let go when it comes to academic stuff. Most recently my portion of a group project, (the final assembled art book) was rejected because Kinkos had botched the page order and I hadn't thought to check. My fault? Sure, I should have given it more than a cursory look-over before handing it in. It was still worth haggling for a chance to redo the booklet, but in my desperation to improve my grade I apparently pissed off the professor.

So yeah, the "past incidents" had nothing to do with religious argument. I can see how people might assume that, though.

Bandetta on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Bandetta wrote:
    Elkamil wrote:
    Mine is, too.
    Because you've always been kind and reasonable, and never wanted for a second chance with anyone. Am I right? It's been years, dude. I hope you haven't branded me for life.
    Nah, I've been bad, too. But c'mon, this is hilarious. And I'll bet you don't remember why you pissed me off. Hint: It's not religion. Hint 2: "I'm a devil's advocate!"

But seriously, that's hilarious. I hope you find a better school. Also, I've always enjoyed your stories; they were awesome.

Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    sanstodosanstodo Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Bandetta wrote:
    sanstodo wrote:

On these forums? Actually yes I have. Perhaps you're not familiar with the little outburst that got me banned the first time. Not one of my prouder moments.

I deserved the knife in the eye that Cat gave me and I only snuck back in because I missed the sense of community and general reasonability that I used to shit all over.

It's gonna be hard to buy for alot of people I offended before, but I learned alot from my ban.

Actually the previous cases were unrelated to religion entirely. They involved me arguing over grades. It often didn't even matter because I was already passing, I've just never been able to let go when it comes to academic stuff. Most recently my portion of a group project, (the final assembled art book) was rejected because Kinkos had botched the page order and I hadn't thought to check. My fault? Sure, I should have given it more than a cursory look-over before handing it in. It was still worth haggling for a chance to redo the booklet, but in my desperation to improve my grade I apparently pissed off the professor.

So yeah, the "past incidents" had nothing to do with religious argument. I can see how people might assume that, though.

I was only referring to the recent topics. I wasn't around earlier.

Anyway, thanks for the clarification on the previous incidents. My best guess is that you are more aggressive than you think you are and others are either intimidated by it or pissed off by apparent challenging of authority.

Maybe I'm more sympathetic than others because I tend to be this way myself. I just turned it off when I got to college because there was very little reward for a lot of risk. That doesn't help now, but oh well 8)

sanstodo on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Elkamil wrote:
    Nah, I've been bad, too. But c'mon, this is hilarious.

Well yeah, probably a bit easier to appreciate when you're not me. The reason I'm furstrated is that the juxtaposition of this current situation with my past behavior....well, it looks pretty fucking bad for me. I feel like that guy in the intro to every Matlock episode ever made: All hunched over a body with a bloody knife in-hand, stammering to the police "It's not what it looks like!"
    And I'll bet you don't remember why you pissed me off. Hint: It's not religion. Hint 2: "I'm a devil's advocate!"

Man, don't ask me why I offended you. You were one of thousands that I shot my mouth off to. I was young, dumb, and the anonymity of the internet made it way too easy for small disagreements to escalate. All I can say is that whatever I did was probably retarded and I wouldn't do it again.
    But seriously, that's hilarious. I hope you find a better school. Also, I've always enjoyed your stories; they were awesome.

Well thanks, one of the reasons I came back is that I wanted to start contributing such material again. I was, however, a bit apprehensive about outing myself as someone who was deservedly banned years prior.

Bandetta on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    I....actually have newer stories, as well as some older ones I never published.

I just don't know if they'd go over well, considering what people seem to think of me lately.

Bandetta on
  • Options
    HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Bandetta wrote:
    I....actually have newer stories, as well as some older ones I never published.

I just don't know if they'd go over well, considering what people seem to think of me lately.
    Post them. We demand it.

Hacksaw on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    I don't anticipate any problems. Great stories are great stories.

Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Well shit, I guess I will then. I'll go see what I can dig up.

[edit] Here, let's see how it goes.

Bandetta on
  • Options
    ZsetrekZsetrek Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    The Cat wrote:

Oh snap!

Zsetrek on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Zsetrek wrote:
    The Cat wrote:

Oh snap!

See:
    Bandetta wrote:
    sanstodo wrote:

I know I was a dick. I'm attempting to redeem myself with better behavior and awesome stories.

Bandetta on
  • Options
    tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Personally I dont think its OK to throw people out of school for engaging in debate about any issue, no matter how provocative or offensive it may be to the participants. If she had demanded he leave, and he had refused, then tried to leave, and he had follwed her still being rude about her beliefs then he could be disciplined for harasing her.

Not allowing any religious discussion in a school is absurd.

tbloxham on
    "That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    ZonkytonkmanZonkytonkman Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    oh shits, i just saw this on fark and came here to see if this was teh same thing.

expelled? wow.

Zonkytonkman on
  • Options
    itylusitylus Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Bandetta wrote:
    I know I was a dick. I'm attempting to redeem myself with better behavior and awesome stories.

Well, it probably means nothing to you coming from me, but although I'm one of the ones who argued the case that you had done something wrong, in the previous version of this thread, I will say that you've been very disciplined and restrained in your response to all the stuff that's been said about you in both that thread and this. That's a lot harder to do than many people realise, especially if you're naturally combative, so, yeah. As we say here in Oz, goodonya. ;) Keep doing what you're doing, and people will get over whatever it was, way back when.

itylus on
  • Options
    FunkyWaltDoggFunkyWaltDogg Columbia, SCRegistered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Bandetta wrote:

That's a great story, which I expected, having read the old ones a few months ago. Keep it up.

FunkyWaltDogg on
  • Options
    ZoolanderZoolander Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    The Cat wrote:
    Oh dear lord hahahaha

Zoolander on
  • Options
    DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2006
    Zoolander wrote:
    The Cat wrote:
    Oh dear lord hahahaha
    Yeah, I did already. I knew I recognized those ears from that picture. Go me!

Dynagrip on
  • Options
    Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Oh god, my sides, the chest burster story.

All is forgiven.

Gabriel_Pitt on
  • Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Zoolander wrote:
    The Cat wrote:
    Oh dear lord hahahaha

Indeed. My day has been made as well, and it's not even lunch yet. This sure does suck, rambozo, but goddamn is it funny.

moniker on
  • Options
    DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2006
    Bandetta wrote:
    Elkamil wrote:
    Nah, I've been bad, too. But c'mon, this is hilarious.

Well yeah, probably a bit easier to appreciate when you're not me. The reason I'm furstrated is that the juxtaposition of this current situation with my past behavior....well, it looks pretty fucking bad for me. I feel like that guy in the intro to every Matlock episode ever made: All hunched over a body with a bloody knife in-hand, stammering to the police "It's not what it looks like!"
    And I'll bet you don't remember why you pissed me off. Hint: It's not religion. Hint 2: "I'm a devil's advocate!"

Man, don't ask me why I offended you. You were one of thousands that I shot my mouth off to. I was young, dumb, and the anonymity of the internet made it way too easy for small disagreements to escalate. All I can say is that whatever I did was probably retarded and I wouldn't do it again.

Well thanks, one of the reasons I came back is that I wanted to start contributing such material again. I was, however, a bit apprehensive about outing myself as someone who was deservedly banned years prior.
    heh, I remember PMing you while I was a mod trying to get you to chill out but somehow you saw that as a dueling glove slap.

You reap what you sow, I suppose.

Dynagrip on
  • Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Bandetta wrote:

Its funny how you give your own good advice;
    Joking around until whoever was picking on me decided I was a funny guy, and that they liked me. It's hard to hate a guy who makes you laugh, I guess.

;)

Aldo on
  • Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Bandetta wrote:
    Did I get in her face? Was I abusive or insulting? Did I yell at her, or even raise my voice? No. All that I did was run her through a few reasons why her "scientific explanation" of the supernatural didn't cut the mustard. I meant to correct her erroneous assumptions regarding quantum theory and ended up shattering her apparently delicate emotional equilibrium, something that I can assure you I regret for reasons unrelated to my expulsion. It was the conversational equivalent of accidentally stepping on a kitten.

Well, if you stomp around enough without giving a crap about where you're stepping, you're bound to run across a kitten or two eventually. Hence the reason most people don't. Or, to put it another way, to the atheist with a hammer everything looks like a nail.

mcdermott on
  • Options
    CheezyCheezy Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    hangingmonkey.gif

Cheezy on
  • Options
    YarYar Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Holy shit. Rambozo. I want dancing monkey.

But this changes nothing.

Yar on
  • Options
    SenjutsuSenjutsu thot enthusiast Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Yar wrote:
    Holy shit. Rambozo. I want dancing monkey.

But this changes nothing.
    I disagree.

Based on previous experiences, it increases the likelihood that he was kicked out for being a strident douche rather than an poor put-upon atheist from "probable" to "certain".

I mean, the man has a manifesto.

Senjutsu on
  • Options
    YarYar Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Senjutsu wrote:
    I disagree.

Based on previous experiences, it increases the likelihood that he was kicked out for being a strident douche rather than an poor put-upon atheist from "probable" to "certain".

It changes nothing for me. Though I never consciously made the comparison until now, I had already determined that Bandetta's douchosity was at least equivalent to rambozo's. I guess "certain," or a reasonable approximation thereof, was already in the cards for me.

Yar on
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Yar wrote:
    Senjutsu wrote:
    I disagree.

It changes nothing for me. Though I never consciously made the comparison until now, I had already determined that Bandetta's douchosity was at least equivalent to rambozo's. I guess "certain," or a reasonable approximation thereof, was already in the cards for me.

Bandetta: great douche, or greatest douche?

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited November 2006
    I like his stories. And if he sticks around without getting banned, maybe we can create a stickied "Rambozo and Loren High Five Each Other Forever" thread.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    MikeManMikeMan Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    ewwwwwwwwww

MikeMan on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    itylus wrote:
    Bandetta wrote:

Well, it probably means nothing to you coming from me, but although I'm one of the ones who argued the case that you had done something wrong, in the previous version of this thread, I will say that you've been very disciplined and restrained in your response to all the stuff that's been said about you in both that thread and this. That's a lot harder to do than many people realise, especially if you're naturally combative, so, yeah. As we say here in Oz, goodonya. ;) Keep doing what you're doing, and people will get over whatever it was, way back when.

Well hey, thanks. I'm doing my best.
    Oh god, my sides, the chest burster story.

All is forgiven.

I still have the puppet. Depending on offers, it may end up on EBay.
    mcdermott wrote:
    Well, if you stomp around enough without giving a crap about where you're stepping, you're bound to run across a kitten or two eventually. Hence the reason most people don't. Or, to put it another way, to the atheist with a hammer everything looks like a nail.

This is probably the most useful advice I've gotten out of this thread.

Bandetta on
  • Options
    RandomEngyRandomEngy Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Rambozo! I missed you, buddy. Sucks that you got expelled. Be warned, however: if you bring back the monkey he's going to get adblocked.

RandomEngy on
    Profile -> Signature Settings -> Hide signatures always. Then you don't have to read this worthless text anymore.
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    But the monkey defines me. :x

Bandetta on
  • Options
    Loren MichaelLoren Michael Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Irond Will wrote:
    I like his stories. And if he sticks around without getting banned, maybe we can create a stickied "Rambozo and Loren High Five Each Other Forever" thread.

i'd heard so much about rambozo, but to be honest, i'm not all that impressed. no offense intended to bandetta/rambozo, but i have the wisdom to act radically different in person than i do on the internet.

the stories are niftysauce, though.

and jesus, getting banned? wtf happened?

Loren Michael on
    a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
This discussion has been closed.