As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[WoW]Warlocks - Patch 3.1: Fun removed, Angst now a base ability

• Options
    Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Jubal77 wrote: »
    PierceNeck wrote: »
    No he really does hate the T9 set.

Yah I guess a flat 10% increase in damage to some of your lowest overall dmg spells is pretty shitty.

o_O

I'm going to assume you're Destruction.

When im afflict the spells usually break down to 1) SB 2/3) UA 2/3) Haunt 4) Cor on the normal afflict rotation in terms of overall dmg with SB running away with it unless its a fight like Morrowgar. Does that sound right? So the 4 piece is affecting the second and fouth dmging spell in your rotation. For destro its always been teh suck but its not huge for afflict either. The 10% increase in dmg amounts to below a 5% increase in total dmg.

Lets say you do 6kdps the increase would be very roughly 300dps. Nothing overly spectacular. And the incrase would be most likely a little bit less.

Jubal77 on
  • Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Corruption shouldn't be that low. If anything, Corruption should be competing with SBolt for damage done. Haunt shouldn't even be on the list of top 4.

http://worldoflogs.com/reports/c9ejszk1nq99qo8y/details/3/?s=3518&e=3757
    Here's our Afflock's Deathbringer Saurfang this week. Corruption's 35%, SBolt's 33%, and the next highest damage is UA at 11%. This warlock doesn't have much that he can roll his Corruption with either, which means it's lower than usual.

I needed anime to post. on
    liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    Elessar ElfstoneElessar Elfstone Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    PierceNeck wrote: »
    No he really does hate the T9 set.

Yah I guess a flat 10% increase in damage to some of your lowest overall dmg spells is pretty shitty.

o_O

I'm going to assume you're Destruction.

When im afflict the spells usually break down to 1) SB 2/3) UA 2/3) Haunt 4) Cor on the normal afflict rotation in terms of overall dmg with SB running away with it unless its a fight like Morrowgar. Does that sound right? So the 4 piece is affecting the second and fouth dmging spell in your rotation. For destro its always been teh suck but its not huge for afflict either. The 10% increase in dmg amounts to below a 5% increase in total dmg.

Lets say you do 6kdps the increase would be very roughly 300dps. Nothing overly spectacular. And the incrase would be most likely a little bit less.

Ya like name said, thats way out of whack. You must be misinterpretting your recount or something because Corruption competes with SB for #1 and then eclipses it when you get to better gear levels. I'll post my Marrowgar numbers in a couple minutes (if this pug run doesnt suck ass).

Elessar Elfstone on
    Tobias: Or it could be your colon. I'd want to get in there and find some answers.

Forsake, Warlock of Stonemaul
  • Options
    Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Corruption shouldn't be that low. If anything, Corruption should be competing with SBolt for damage done. Haunt shouldn't even be on the list of top 4.

http://worldoflogs.com/reports/c9ejszk1nq99qo8y/details/3/?s=3518&e=3757
    Here's our Afflock's Deathbringer Saurfang this week. Corruption's 35%, SBolt's 33%, and the next highest damage is UA at 11%. This warlock doesn't have much that he can roll his Corruption with either, which means it's lower than usual.

So according to those numbers 4p t9 would increase dmg by ~4.6%.... right around what I was expecting. I just had em swapped I just checked some WoL of mine and yeah I was mistaken I havent been on in a couple weeks.

Jubal77 on
  • Options
    Kevin CristKevin Crist I make the devil hit his knees and say the 'our father'Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    So when i was in VoA25 on Tuesday with a few other 'locks I noticed their Imps were very chatty, and I had no idea why.

And this morning I'm browsing through EJ and see this "firebolt macro" thing. Basically:
    #showtooltip Immolate
    /petattack
    /use [target=pettarget,harm] Firebolt
    /use Immolate

and replace immo with incen/Conflag/CB in other macros. This causes the imp to cast firebolt more often. Has anyone else tried this yet? Reading back in the "simple Q&A" thread it comes up in mid december so I'm probably just late to the party. I'll give it a go when I log in later tonight.

Just wish we can shut the stupid thing up.

Kevin Crist on
    acpRlGW.jpg
    Steam: YOU FACE JARAXXUS| Twitch.tv: CainLoveless
  • Options
    DranythDranyth Surf ColoradoRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Is, this, really necessary?

Dranyth on
  • Options
    fodderboyfodderboy Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    So when i was in VoA25 on Tuesday with a few other 'locks I noticed their Imps were very chatty, and I had no idea why.

And this morning I'm browsing through EJ and see this "firebolt macro" thing. Basically:
    #showtooltip Immolate
    /petattack
    /use [target=pettarget,harm] Firebolt
    /use Immolate

and replace immo with incen/Conflag/CB in other macros. This causes the imp to cast firebolt more often. Has anyone else tried this yet? Reading back in the "simple Q&A" thread it comes up in mid december so I'm probably just late to the party. I'll give it a go when I log in later tonight.

Just wish we can shut the stupid thing up.

I don't think it casts more often, just sooner.

You cast immo, you get your cast time, mob gets hit. When the spell lands, your imp (if set to defensive) attacks.

The macro since you are specifically commanding the imp to attack, he starts casting when you do and you get his chattiness every time you hit that macro.

I'm sure its a DPS increase using the macro, just not a whole lot.

If the voice is really annoying you can turn off pet sounds in the options, but then you would miss this when you dismiss your imp:

"You know, we've had a lot of fun together, it's been really special, but I think it's time I should start seeing other warlocks. Just a little on the side. No no no it's not you, it's not you, it's me. I just need my space, it's nobody's fault."

fodderboy on
  • Options
    fortyforty Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    So does that macro not make the imp switch targets if you cast on a different target?

forty on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Dranyth wrote: »

The imp doesn't queue up spells like players do. Forcing him to via the macro makes him cast more frequently, increasing both his damage, and the rate at which you get Empowered Imp procs.

I don't quite recall how much DPS EJ calculated it out to be. It certainly wasn't 1k, but I think it was something sizeable, 400-600.

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    fodderboyfodderboy Registered User regular
    edited February 2010

The imp doesn't queue up spells like players do. Forcing him to via the macro makes him cast more frequently, increasing both his damage, and the rate at which you get Empowered Imp procs.

I don't quite recall how much DPS EJ calculated it out to be. It certainly wasn't 1k, but I think it was something sizeable, 400-600.

Oops, disregard most of what i said.

Esson (on the wow forums)
    There is soemthing called the spellqueue system in wow, or at least thats what I call it. This only effects spells with a greater than 1second cast time. Basically in the last .2-.4seconds of a cast if you click on another spell to cast the server will queue it up to be cast immediately afterwards with no delay. This means that as long as your latency < than that segment of time allowed to queue the next spell you are almost as efficitent as you can be.

There are two problems to watch out for though, first this does not work on spells with a lower than 1second casttime (AKA below the min GCD) which means that a spell with a 1sec cast time can be cast more rapidly than one with a .9second cast time, since you can't queue up the next spell serverside.

The second is pets do not take advantage of this system, so they cast, when the server reports them as finished casting then they begin another cast, this delays the next fire bolt by about twice whatever your latency happens to be. The way around this is by macroing his firebolt it adds it to the spell queue like a normal spell would be.

fodderboy on
  • Options
    DranythDranyth Surf ColoradoRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010

Apparently I *should* have kept it quoted.

Come on people, how long have you been Warlocking? (though I suppose it's possible I've misheard him all these years)

Dranyth on
  • Options
    Kevin CristKevin Crist I make the devil hit his knees and say the 'our father'Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Don't worry Dran, I got it. :^:

Kevin Crist on
    acpRlGW.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2010

Apparently I *should* have kept it quoted.

Come on people, how long have you been Warlocking? (though I suppose it's possible I've misheard him all these years)

Well played...

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    fodderboy wrote: »

Oops, disregard most of what i said.

Esson (on the wow forums)
    There is soemthing called the spellqueue system in wow, or at least thats what I call it. This only effects spells with a greater than 1second cast time. Basically in the last .2-.4seconds of a cast if you click on another spell to cast the server will queue it up to be cast immediately afterwards with no delay. This means that as long as your latency < than that segment of time allowed to queue the next spell you are almost as efficitent as you can be.

There are two problems to watch out for though, first this does not work on spells with a lower than 1second casttime (AKA below the min GCD) which means that a spell with a 1sec cast time can be cast more rapidly than one with a .9second cast time, since you can't queue up the next spell serverside.

The second is pets do not take advantage of this system, so they cast, when the server reports them as finished casting then they begin another cast, this delays the next fire bolt by about twice whatever your latency happens to be. The way around this is by macroing his firebolt it adds it to the spell queue like a normal spell would be.

I was not aware of this. Would be nice if this could be done with GCD-based abilities as well, though.

forty on
  • Options
    EWomEWom Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Is there a haste cap for destro locks, and if so what is it? Asking because my haste seems really high but my crit seems really, really low (19.99%). Course I'm coming from a hunter who was at 48% crit unbuffed.. so that may skew my idea of good crit, but still 20% seems low to me.

EWom on
    Whether they find a life there or not, I think Jupiter should be called an enemy planet.
  • Options
    GreenPowerRangerGreenPowerRanger Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    EWom wrote: »
    Is there a haste cap for destro locks, and if so what is it? Asking because my haste seems really high but my crit seems really, really low (19.99%). Course I'm coming from a hunter who was at 48% crit unbuffed.. so that may skew my idea of good crit, but still 20% seems low to me.

How much haste do you have? as a lock in any spec, you can neglect crit btw.

Theoretically the haste cap is when all your spells have a 1 second cast time however this is pretty unreachable and will likely only happen when you BL. However this doesn't mean you stop gearing for haste when you hit the cap with BL since you wanna be casting at that speed for the whole fight ideally for maximum dps.

Just don't forget Hit > SP > Haste.

GreenPowerRanger on
  • Options
    Minerva_SCMinerva_SC Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    my lock affliction lock has 820 haste with a spellstone. Now I just need a DFO....

Minerva_SC on
    "If a cherry pie filled cape is wrong, I don't want to be right.
    I'm dead serious."
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Minerva_SC wrote: »
    my lock affliction lock has 820 haste with a spellstone. Now I just need a DFO....

DFO?

Yeah I do hate the tier nine set it's not the great
    Checking between my 7.5 and it I gained spell power {not that much} and crit
    I lost health, mana and hit

Brainleech on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Dislodged Foreign Object

155Haste equip and a stacking spellpower buff.

Kevin Crist on
    acpRlGW.jpg
  • Options
    MuppetmanMuppetman Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    As a destruction lock sitting at roughly 2800SP, 482 Hit Rating, 724 Haste Rating, 24% Crit I'm getting about 6K dps in raids and 4K in Heroics. Are these numbers reasonable for my gear levels? I'm following advice from EJ for spec, glyphs etc but thought I'd be doing better by this point.

I know the hit rating is overboard but I suck at getting trinkets. I am the only raiding lock in my guild so don't have anyone else to compare myself to.

I'm about 30 Frost short of 4pc T10 and am hoping that might help somewhat but do I in fact just need to accept that I suck?

Muppetman on
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Muppetman wrote: »
    As a destruction lock sitting at roughly 2800SP, 482 Hit Rating, 724 Haste Rating, 24% Crit I'm getting about 6K dps in raids and 4K in Heroics. Are these numbers reasonable for my gear levels? I'm following advice from EJ for spec, glyphs etc but thought I'd be doing better by this point.

I know the hit rating is overboard but I suck at getting trinkets. I am the only raiding lock in my guild so don't have anyone else to compare myself to.

I'm about 30 Frost short of 4pc T10 and am hoping that might help somewhat but do I in fact just need to accept that I suck?

I would say a tentative yes, you could maybe squeeze a little more out of yourself though... 6.5 - 7kish?

Unbuffed I have 3020 sp, 864 Haste, 26.24% crit and I do 7 - 8k in raids. Sometimes more. I have some better gear which I wear for affliction, that gives me some extra haste and sp but I loose crit. However I down gear for the T9 2pc when playing destro.

GreenPowerRanger on
  • Options
    MuppetmanMuppetman Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    OK thanks for the reply I just thought I'd be doing better by now, guess I'll need to raid more for extra upgrades :)

Muppetman on
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Should note that that's in 10m raids. I do 8.5-9ish+ in 25m, on some fights touching 10k.

GreenPowerRanger on
  • Options
    XArchangelXXArchangelX Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    So, I am going to be taking my lock from 70 -> 80 in the near future, and the OP doesn't mention anything about leveling. Demonology still the best for that purpose?

XArchangelX on
    Eve Online is a terrible game, but I used to play, for the lulz!
    Steam
    Only the strong can help the weak.
  • Options
    JJJJ DailyStormer Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    So, I am going to be taking my lock from 70 -> 80 in the near future, and the OP doesn't mention anything about leveling. Demonology still the best for that purpose?
    affliction. You can go through whole packs of mobs all at once just by dotting and siphoning life and then finish up with full mana and health. I dual specced destro for dungeons because it's more bursty.

JJ on
  • Options
    XArchangelXXArchangelX Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Well, one of my primary concerns was the ability to solo the elites that end a lot of the good questlines, and I was presuming the felguard was necessary for this.

Also, the turning into a demon thing looks pretty cool.

XArchangelX on
    Eve Online is a terrible game, but I used to play, for the lulz!
    Steam
    Only the strong can help the weak.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Yeah, demonology is the best for soloing group quests, unless the mob is fearable or not that fast + snareable.

forty on
  • Options
    PierceNeckPierceNeck Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Soloing elites isn't difficult as Aff.

Especially if there's a tree or big rock you can kite them around.

PierceNeck on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    EndEnd Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    CoEx is win for kiting elites around.

I don't really remember very many that couldn't be snared or feared.

End on
    I wish that someway, somehow, that I could save every one of us
    zaleiria-by-lexxy-sig.jpg
  • Options
    GnutsonGnutson Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I remember most 'end quest elites' as un-fearable.. but they were all snarable.

Gnutson on
    Erai - Operative <--Imperial Double Agent--> Sniper - Eari
    SW:Tor - Tao - Kryatt Dragon Server
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    There are plenty of unsnareable quest elites that pretty much make affliction a no-go. And ones that are snareable but move too fast to be kited even with CoEx's meager 30% snare up.

forty on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Warlock (Forums / Talent Calculator)

* Immolate: The damage-over-time component of this spell can now produce critical strikes.

Demonology

* Demonic Pact: This effect now has a 45-second duration, up from 12 seconds, and a 20-second internal cooldown.

Yay on Immo buff, Not sure on DP though.

Kevin Crist on
    acpRlGW.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    The DP change is basically just an attempt to give it 100% uptime, I think.

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    EndEnd Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Warlock (Forums / Talent Calculator)

* Immolate: The damage-over-time component of this spell can now produce critical strikes.

Demonology

* Demonic Pact: This effect now has a 45-second duration, up from 12 seconds, and a 20-second internal cooldown.

Yay on Immo buff, Not sure on DP though.

Should increase uptime on DP. Before you'd have 12 seconds to refresh before it runs out, and now you have 25 seconds.

Usually uptime on DP shouldn't be a problem (you'd see, what, like high 90's?), except if you're having to not have your pet attack for short periods of time, which this would probably help a lot with.

End on
    I wish that someway, somehow, that I could save every one of us
    zaleiria-by-lexxy-sig.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Ah, I just never noticed DP fall off. My pet has enough crit to refresh it before it runs out.

I was reading it as saying it has a 20 second CD after the 45 second duration.

Kevin Crist on
    acpRlGW.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    DP change is good. You won't have it dropping off all the time (even if it's only for the first few seconds of engagement) during phase changes or unattackable periods (worms burrowing, etc.). Also means there should be no problem with the buff staying up if the pet happens to die and need to be re-summoned. Hell, it should even be up full time for trash clearing unless there's too much downtime in between pulls. I like it.

forty on
  • Options
    Minerva_SCMinerva_SC Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    immolate critting is nice for destro and demo. I've been playing demo for the last day or 2 and actually enjoying it as much as affliction, might just stick with it with this buff.

Minerva_SC on
    "If a cherry pie filled cape is wrong, I don't want to be right.
    I'm dead serious."
  • Options
    Jason036Jason036 Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    My warlock just hit 70 so I'm coming in for some fresh advice. I've really been enjoying Destro in 5 mans and Afflication in PvP. The instant fears is just to glorious in PvP, hehe. So here goes:

Destruction

1. What should be my damage rotation on trash pack pulls? Currently I Immolate, Conflagrate, Shadowfury, Choas Bolt, Icinerate, Icinerate, Icinerate, Conflagrate.... I just got Seed, and haven't had a chance to play with it yet.
    2. What should be my damage rotation on bosses?
    3. Now that I have Seed of Corruption, is Rain Of Fire obsolete?
    4. What glyphs should I be using to help maximize dps in 5 mans?
    5. Am I the only one who thinks Shadowfury is awesome? Man that spell is fun.
    6. On bosses, I toss up Curse Of Elements. Is that right? and do warlocks always do this in raids?
    7. I'm using my imp 100% of the time, that correct?

Affliction

1. I'm not longer the top 2-3 dps in BGs anymore, but I'm kinda spec'ed for CC, which for the crew I run with (a healing priest and a hunter) it works out well. That make sense?
    2. What's the best damage rotation for 1v1s in BGs?
    3. What's the best damage rotation for when there a lot people in range in BGs? I ask this because it seems casting Haunt and Unstable Affliction in this cases is almost pointless since I can cast more DoTs on more targets by sticking to the instant cast spells. Not to mention I'm usually watching my healer and CCing anything that touches him.
    4. I'm using my fel hunter 100% of the time, that correct? P.S. His silences are great.

K, that's enough questions for now. Thanks for taking the time to help me, you guys are great.

My armory link is below

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Nathrezim&cn=Nauticus

Jason036 on
    Jason036
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I can talk about affliction in battlegrounds as I don't know much about the tres chic spec
    Just dot everyone if you have to stop for unstable or haunt then you better be running again

A fel hound or imp are you freinds in battlegrounds
    A succubus is good but she is made of glass

1vs1 is fear light them up fear again till dead

Brainleech on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Jason036 wrote: »
    My warlock just hit 70 so I'm coming in for some fresh advice. I've really been enjoying Destro in 5 mans and Afflication in PvP. The instant fears is just to glorious in PvP, hehe. So here goes:

Destruction

1. What should be my damage rotation on trash pack pulls? Currently I Immolate, Conflagrate, Shadowfury, Choas Bolt, Icinerate, Icinerate, Icinerate, Conflagrate.... I just got Seed, and haven't had a chance to play with it yet.
    2. What should be my damage rotation on bosses?
    3. Now that I have Seed of Corruption, is Rain Of Fire obsolete?
    4. What glyphs should I be using to help maximize dps in 5 mans?
    5. Am I the only one who thinks Shadowfury is awesome? Man that spell is fun.
    6. On bosses, I toss up Curse Of Elements. Is that right? and do warlocks always do this in raids?
    7. I'm using my imp 100% of the time, that correct?

K, that's enough questions for now. Thanks for taking the time to help me, you guys are great.

My armory link is below

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Nathrezim&cn=Nauticus

1) Immo, Conflag, Chaos Bolt, Incinerate until Conflag/Chaos light up again on 2 or less mobs. 3 or more just tab target Seeds.

2) Same as above, but throw a curse in there somewhere.

3) All signs point to 'Yes'. Though sometimes I've had my target die before I got a seed off in 5mans, this might not be a problem at 70 though.

4) Conflag is mandatory. Incinerate is a good buff to your main filler. and at 80 pick up Immolate. It buffs both itself and Conflag's damage. Plus Immo will become better with the next patch's buff.

5) It's situational, but a dps loss if you try to fit it in a rotation. If you're going to use the
    Brainleech wrote:
    tres chic spec
    you can drop a point from Backlash to fit it in.

6) If you're the CoE bitch, yes. But if you have an Unholy DK/Boomkin/Other Warlock you can switch to using Doom if the boss will live more then a minute and Agony otherwise.

7) Correct, Impowered Imp is a great dps boost.

Kevin Crist on
    acpRlGW.jpg