As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[WoW]Warlocks - Patch 3.1: Fun removed, Angst now a base ability

• Options
    fortyforty Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I don't think any mind-changing they'll be doing with shards will make it worse than it is now, so you can't really be apprehensive about that.

And I have no doubts the final form of the new shard system will be fairly close to what they revealed at Blizzcon. The system sounded far more interesting and fun and shouldn't cause any balance problems in PvP since they can always change what the empowered abilities do as problems crop up. I would suspect that the most iteration will occur on how, when, and at what rate the shard regeneration occurs.

forty on
  • Options
    EWomEWom Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Got 4pc t10 today, can't wait to see how it performs on decent fights, I'm hoping it'll be as sweet as it looks.

EWom on
    Whether they find a life there or not, I think Jupiter should be called an enemy planet.
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    So, Warlock changes being revealed tomorrow. Excitement, or apprehension?

Curiosity with bitterness and frustration

Brainleech on
  • Options
    BeezelBeezel There was no agreement little morsel..Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Brainleech wrote: »

*Fear duration in pve and pvp scenarios reduced to 3 seconds maximum.
    *Doomguard and Infernal removed from the game due to balance concerns

Speaking of bitterness and frustration, remember when the damage coefficient for corruption was nerfed without making it instant cast under the assumption that every lock took the five points to make it instant anyway? (which was blatantly false. Burn in hell, Kalgan)

Beezel on
    PSN: Waybackkidd
    "...only mights and maybes."
  • Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    To be fair, the data said that like 90% of warlocks did take that talent. :P

It's funny though. Ask a warlock and you'll say Kalgan hated the class. Ask someone else and they'll say warlocks got nothing but buffs because Kalgan's girlfriend played one.
    EWorm wrote:
    Got 4pc t10 today, can't wait to see how it performs on decent fights, I'm hoping it'll be as sweet as it looks.

It is glorious

I needed anime to post. on
    liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Beezel wrote: »
    Brainleech wrote: »

*Fear duration in pve and pvp scenarios reduced to 3 seconds maximum.
    *Doomguard and Infernal removed from the game due to balance concerns

Speaking of bitterness and frustration, remember when the damage coefficient for corruption was nerfed without making it instant cast under the assumption that every lock took the five points to make it instant anyway? (which was blatantly false. Burn in hell, Kalgan)

Is it up? the site will not load for me
    I agree they do a half ass job of research and everyone suffers
    RIP Siphon life as a cast

Brainleech on
  • Options
    Elessar ElfstoneElessar Elfstone Registered User regular
    edited April 2010

It's funny though. Ask a warlock and you'll say Kalgan hated the class. Ask someone else and they'll say warlocks got nothing but buffs because Kalgan's girlfriend played one.
    EWorm wrote:

It is glorious

Is it great but it takes a bit of getting used to cause now you have to do stuff like re-apply it when it procs a couple seconds into the fight, pop your NMIC at the same time, gotta keep it rolling....practice a bit on a dummy at first imo.

Elessar Elfstone on
    Tobias: Or it could be your colon. I'd want to get in there and find some answers.

Forsake, Warlock of Stonemaul
  • Options
    LockeColeLockeCole Registered User regular
    edited April 2010

EWorm wrote:

It is glorious

Is it great but it takes a bit of getting used to cause now you have to do stuff like re-apply it when it procs a couple seconds into the fight, pop your NMIC at the same time, gotta keep it rolling....practice a bit on a dummy at first imo.

I thought damage buffs don't roll with refreshing corruption anymore, just crit.

Also, yeah someone needs to post here when the put up the news, stupid work filter.

LockeCole on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    I don't see it yet but its not 9am on the west coast yet. I'm going to guess thats the earliest they'd post.

Elessar Elfstone on
    Tobias: Or it could be your colon. I'd want to get in there and find some answers.

• Options
    AriviaArivia I Like A Challenge Earth-1Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Adorable half-translated warlock notes behind the spoiler:
    In World of Warcraft: Cataclysm make many changes and additions of talents and abilities for each class. In this development, will have the opportunity to see some changes we have planned for a warrior, in addition, we will provide a summary of some of the new spells, abilities, talents, and an overview about the new Master System and how it will work with different talent specs.

New spells of the witch

"Fel Flame" (available at level 81): an instant spell that causes damage "shadowfire"She shall be similar to the spell of the magician Pirofrío, ie resistance to your goal is more vulnerable (in this case shadow and fire) will be used to calculate the damage. In addition, "Fel Flame" reset counter Immolate and Unstable Affliction. Our goal with "Fel Flame" is to provide a useful option to use wireless and the sorcerers of Destruction and Demonology, should be mentioned that this option will use light green and will be an instant spell.

"Dark Intent" (level 83): 3% increases the probability that its objective cause a critical hit with damage spells or healing regularly, if the aim to cause a critical hit, the warlock will receive a benefit that will increase your damage for 10 s, this effect stacks up to 3 sometimes.

"Demon Soul" (Level 85): merges the soul of the sorcerer with his demon "Demon Soul" will give the sorcerer a benefit will significantly increase your damage for a short period of time. The specific effects that are received by this authority will depend on the devil they have chosen. The duration of "Demon Soul" will depend on the daemon to use and based on a limited number of charges or until it expires (approximately 20 s) also have a recycling period of 2 minutes.

Review of the fragments of soul

The change of the fragments of soul was announced at BlizzCon 2009. The soul shard objects will no longer be staying in the inventory, but will become a new resource mechanic that is part of the user interface. Warlocks will have access to three pieces of soul that can be used during a fight and will not be necessary if they are not in combat. Soul Burn consume a resource fragment of soul thus enable them to use side effects of certain spells. Soul Burn is not cost mana or health, nor has an associated reuse period. Here we present a list of side effects that we plan to incorporate.
    Summon demon soul + Burn = invokes his demon instantly.
    Drain Life + Soul Burn = 60% decreases casting time of your spells.
    Cidemonic circle soul + Burn = 50% increases their movement speed for 8 s after being teleported.
    Burn Unstable Affliction + soul = inflicts damage equal to 30% instant of impact.
    Soul Fire + Burn = instant cast soul.
    Health + Stone Soul Burn = 20% temporarily increases your health for 8 s.
    Burn Pain hugger + soul = 100% increases the probability of getting a critical hit with scorching pain, also increases by 50% the probability of getting a critical hit with scorching pain subsequent applications for 6 s.

Changes in mechanical and power

All periodic damage spells witch statistics will benefit from crit and haste passively; haste and not reduce the length of the spell but will add additional tics, when re-apply another periodic damage spell no longer be able to "cut "the last tick, but increase the duration of the spell, similar to the operation of Everlasting Affliction.
    Curse of Agony and Curse of Doom will become Bane Bane of agony and fatality; Bane spells are treated as magic and not curses, ie Bane will cast a spell (eg "Bane of agony") and a Curse spell (eg Curse of the elements) on target.
    The Hellfire will no longer cause damage to the witch.
    The devil will not have the power to fire shield, however, receive a new call "Burning Ember", which will be a periodic damage spell.
    Increaseemos range combat Succubus's melee, it no longer has the option Soothing Kiss, but will have a new called "Whiplash"Who reject ("knockback") To the enemies that are at least 8 m away.
    Increaseemos damage Voidwalker Torment of the power and generate much of a threat to area of effect. Suffering becomes a power to challenge for a single purpose.

New talents and talent changes
    Pandemic Drain Soul will now reset the counter and Unstable Affliction Bane of agony on objectives that have less than 25% health.
    Fel Domination The power will be removed from the game and soul to burn work the same way.
    Demonology receive a new spell that will cause direct damage called "Demon bolt", which applied a prejudice on the target and that will improve your demon cause damage on it.
    We plan to incorporate a new talent called "Impending Doom", which will reduce the cooldown of certain spells like Metamorphosis and Bane of doom.
    Metamorfosis and not be subject to powers of crowd control. In addition, we modify the powers that are only available in Metamorphoses to focus more on the faculties of the warlock.
    Shadow Burn will cause as much damage to targets with less than 25% health.

Master Bond liabilities for talent trees

Affliction
    Spell Damage
    Spell Critical Hit
    Periodic damage of Shadows

Demonology
    Spell Damage
    Spell Haste
    Damage to Demons

Destruction
    Spell Damage
    Damage caused by spell critical hits
    Direct damage fire spell

Periodic damage of Shadows: Increased the damage caused by periodic damage spells of Shadows.

Damage to demons: Increased the damage caused by demons and Metamorphosis.

Direct damage fire spell: increases spell damage from direct fire.

We hope you enjoyed this breakthrough and look forward to reading your comments and suggestions. Please take note that this information is subject to change as further development of Cataclysm.

Arivia on
    huntresssig.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Arivia wrote: »
    Adorable half-translated warlock notes behind the spoiler:
    In World of Warcraft: Cataclysm make many changes and additions of talents and abilities for each class. In this development, will have the opportunity to see some changes we have planned for a warrior, in addition, we will provide a summary of some of the new spells, abilities, talents, and an overview about the new Master System and how it will work with different talent specs.

New spells of the witch

"Fel Flame" (available at level 81): an instant spell that causes damage "shadowfire"She shall be similar to the spell of the magician Pirofrío, ie resistance to your goal is more vulnerable (in this case shadow and fire) will be used to calculate the damage. In addition, "Fel Flame" reset counter Immolate and Unstable Affliction. Our goal with "Fel Flame" is to provide a useful option to use wireless and the sorcerers of Destruction and Demonology, should be mentioned that this option will use light green and will be an instant spell.

"Dark Intent" (level 83): 3% increases the probability that its objective cause a critical hit with damage spells or healing regularly, if the aim to cause a critical hit, the warlock will receive a benefit that will increase your damage for 10 s, this effect stacks up to 3 sometimes.

"Demon Soul" (Level 85): merges the soul of the sorcerer with his demon "Demon Soul" will give the sorcerer a benefit will significantly increase your damage for a short period of time. The specific effects that are received by this authority will depend on the devil they have chosen. The duration of "Demon Soul" will depend on the daemon to use and based on a limited number of charges or until it expires (approximately 20 s) also have a recycling period of 2 minutes.

Review of the fragments of soul

The change of the fragments of soul was announced at BlizzCon 2009. The soul shard objects will no longer be staying in the inventory, but will become a new resource mechanic that is part of the user interface. Warlocks will have access to three pieces of soul that can be used during a fight and will not be necessary if they are not in combat. Soul Burn consume a resource fragment of soul thus enable them to use side effects of certain spells. Soul Burn is not cost mana or health, nor has an associated reuse period. Here we present a list of side effects that we plan to incorporate.
    Summon demon soul + Burn = invokes his demon instantly.
    Drain Life + Soul Burn = 60% decreases casting time of your spells.
    Cidemonic circle soul + Burn = 50% increases their movement speed for 8 s after being teleported.
    Burn Unstable Affliction + soul = inflicts damage equal to 30% instant of impact.
    Soul Fire + Burn = instant cast soul.
    Health + Stone Soul Burn = 20% temporarily increases your health for 8 s.
    Burn Pain hugger + soul = 100% increases the probability of getting a critical hit with scorching pain, also increases by 50% the probability of getting a critical hit with scorching pain subsequent applications for 6 s.

Changes in mechanical and power

All periodic damage spells witch statistics will benefit from crit and haste passively; haste and not reduce the length of the spell but will add additional tics, when re-apply another periodic damage spell no longer be able to "cut "the last tick, but increase the duration of the spell, similar to the operation of Everlasting Affliction.
    Curse of Agony and Curse of Doom will become Bane Bane of agony and fatality; Bane spells are treated as magic and not curses, ie Bane will cast a spell (eg "Bane of agony") and a Curse spell (eg Curse of the elements) on target.
    The Hellfire will no longer cause damage to the witch.
    The devil will not have the power to fire shield, however, receive a new call "Burning Ember", which will be a periodic damage spell.
    Increaseemos range combat Succubus's melee, it no longer has the option Soothing Kiss, but will have a new called "Whiplash"Who reject ("knockback") To the enemies that are at least 8 m away.
    Increaseemos damage Voidwalker Torment of the power and generate much of a threat to area of effect. Suffering becomes a power to challenge for a single purpose.

New talents and talent changes
    Pandemic Drain Soul will now reset the counter and Unstable Affliction Bane of agony on objectives that have less than 25% health.
    Fel Domination The power will be removed from the game and soul to burn work the same way.
    Demonology receive a new spell that will cause direct damage called "Demon bolt", which applied a prejudice on the target and that will improve your demon cause damage on it.
    We plan to incorporate a new talent called "Impending Doom", which will reduce the cooldown of certain spells like Metamorphosis and Bane of doom.
    Metamorfosis and not be subject to powers of crowd control. In addition, we modify the powers that are only available in Metamorphoses to focus more on the faculties of the warlock.
    Shadow Burn will cause as much damage to targets with less than 25% health.

Master Bond liabilities for talent trees

Affliction
    Spell Damage
    Spell Critical Hit
    Periodic damage of Shadows

Demonology
    Spell Damage
    Spell Haste
    Damage to Demons

Destruction
    Spell Damage
    Damage caused by spell critical hits
    Direct damage fire spell

Periodic damage of Shadows: Increased the damage caused by periodic damage spells of Shadows.

Damage to demons: Increased the damage caused by demons and Metamorphosis.

Direct damage fire spell: increases spell damage from direct fire.

We hope you enjoyed this breakthrough and look forward to reading your comments and suggestions. Please take note that this information is subject to change as further development of Cataclysm.

TELEMUNDO!

Beezel on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    I like the fact that they've increased the Succubus' emo range. Wonder how long that will take to get patched out.

Arivia on
    huntresssig.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    That's barely comprehensible.

Elessar Elfstone on

• Options
    SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Pirofrio has always been my warlock idol.

Septus on
    PSN: Kurahoshi1
  • Options
    GnutsonGnutson Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Arivia wrote: »
    I like the fact that they've increased the Succubus' emo range. Wonder how long that will take to get patched out.

I knew that bitch would /wrists one day on me.

Gnutson on
    Erai - Operative <--Imperial Double Agent--> Sniper - Eari
    SW:Tor - Tao - Kryatt Dragon Server
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    The devil will not have the power to fire shield,

Oh, I think he might have something to say about that...

Gnutson on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Seriously, why the hell does this stuff come out on non-english sites first :P.

Also, hilarious.

LockeCole on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    sounds like the imp is losing fire shield and gaining a fire dot to cast

I'm more intrigued about fel flame since it looks like it'll solve the problem of fire immune mobs for destro along with immolate management

Beezel on
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Actual English Post:
    In World of Warcraft: Cataclysm, warlocks will receive changes to their class talents and abilities. Outlined below are some of these changes. Keep in mind that this is an early preview and that these modifications are still under development, so you may see further adjustments to the listed changes as we get closer to launch. That said, here is a first look at these new warlock spells and abilities!

New Warlock Spells

Fel Flame (level 81): Quick-hitting spell dealing Shadowfire damage. This is similar to the mage ability Frostfire Bolt, in that the lower of the two resistances (in this case shadow and fire) on your target will be used for calculating its damage. Additionally, Fel Flame refreshes the duration of Immolate and Unstable Affliction. Our goal for Fel Flame is to provide a spell that's good for mobility and for use by Destruction and Demonology specs. Also, did we mention it uses green fire? Yep. Instant cast.

Dark Intent (level 83): Increases the target's chance for a critical effect with periodic damage or healing spells by 3%. When the target lands a crit, you get a buff to your damage for 10 seconds. This effect stacks up to three times.

Demon Soul (level 85): Fuses the warlock's soul with his or her demon. This provides warlocks with a self-burst cooldown to use. The specific effects granted by Demon Soul depend on the demon chosen. Demon Soul lasts for a certain number of charges or until it expires (around 20 seconds), depending on the demon used. 2-minute cooldown.

Soul Shard Overhaul

This major change regarding Soul Shards was previously announced at BlizzCon 2009. Soul Shards will no longer be inventory items, but instead a new UI resource mechanic. Warlocks will have 3 Soul Shards that can be used during a fight and will not be able to gain additional shards during combat. Soul Shards will not be required outside of combat. Soul Burn will consume a Soul Shard resource, thereby allowing you to use the secondary effects of some spells. Soul Burn has no mana or health costs and is off the global cooldown. Planned secondary effects are outlined here.

* Summon Demon + Soul Burn = summon the demon instantly.
    * Drain Life + Soul Burn = Reduces cast speed by 60%.
    * Demonic Circle + Soul Burn = Increases movement speed by 50% for 8 seconds after teleporting.
    * Unstable Affliction + Soul Burn = Instantly deals damage equal to 30% of its effect.
    * Soul Fire + Soul Burn = Instant cast.
    * Healthstone + Soul Burn = Increases total health by 20% for 8 seconds.
    * Searing Pain + Soul Burn = Increases the crit chance of Searing Pain by 100%, and subsequent Searing Pain spells by 50% for 6 seconds.

Next you will find a list of some of the warlock spell and talent changes for the release of Cataclysm. There will be further changes, but those revealed below should offer some insight into our goals.

Changes to Abilities and Mechanics

* All warlock damage-over-time (DoT) spells will benefit from crit and haste innately. Haste will no longer act to reduce the DoT's duration, but rather to add additional ticks. When reapplying a DoT, you can no longer "clip" the final tick. Instead, this will just add duration to the spell, similar to how Everlasting Affliction currently works.

* Curse of Agony and Curse of Doom will be converted into Bane of Agony and Bane of Doom. Bane spells are considered magic instead of curses. This means you will be able to cast one Bane (e.g. Bane of Agony) and one Curse (e.g. Curse of Elements) on a single target.

* Hellfire will no longer deal damage to the warlock.

* Imps will lose Fire Shield, but will gain a new ability, Burning Ember, which is a stacking DoT.

* The succubus melee range will be increased. The succubus will no longer have Soothing Kiss, but will instead have Whiplash, which knocks back all enemies within 8 yards.

* Voidwalker Torment will do increased damage and generate a lot of area-of-effect (AoE) threat. Suffering will become a single-target taunt.

New Talents and Talent Changes

* Pandemic will now cause Drain Soul to refresh Unstable Affliction and Bane of Agony on targets below 25% health.

* The ability Fel Domination will be removed (because Soul Burn accomplishes the same effect).

* Demonology will gain a new direct-damage spell, Demon Bolt. Demon Bolt will add a debuff that improves the damage done by the demon to the target.

* We plan to add a new talent, Impending Doom, which will give certain spells a chance to reduce the cooldown on Metamorphosis and Bane of Doom.

* Metamorphosis will no longer be subject to demonic crowd control. Furthermore, abilities available only while under the effects of Metamorphosis will be altered to put more emphasis on the warlock's own spells.

* Shadowburn will now do additional damage to targets below 25% health.

Mastery Passive Talent Tree Bonuses

Affliction
    Spell Damage
    Spell Crit
    Shadow DoTs

Demonology
    Spell Damage
    Spell Haste
    Demon Damage

Destruction
    Spell Damage
    Spell Critical Damage
    Fire Direct Damage

Shadow DoTs: The damage caused by Shadow damage-over-time spells is increased.

Demon Damage: The damage caused by pets and Metamorphosis is increased.

Fire Direct Damage: The damage caused by Fire direct damage spells is increased.

Finally, they are fixing the stupidity that is Curse of Agony!!!!!!!!!

shryke on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    A better solution to fire immune mobs is to not have anything be immune to fire. And by extension not have anything be immune to any school of magic (unless it's a specific full magic immunity/protection like Reanimated Adherents, obviously).

forty on
  • Options
    troublebrewingtroublebrewing Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    GREEN FIRE!

troublebrewing on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Beezel wrote: »
    sounds like the imp is losing fire shield and gaining a fire dot to cast

I'm more intrigued about fel flame since it looks like it'll solve the problem of fire immune mobs for destro along with immolate management

You know what the most giant dick move with that spell was?

On my mage, just getting frostfire bolt and heading to Borean Tundra. Diving into that trench to save some baby murlocs.

"Oh, the water elemental's immune to frost! Fine, I'll just use this newfangled frostfire bolt! ...It's immune to that too."

*cue untalented terribad arcane missiles spamming*

Arivia on
    huntresssig.jpg
  • Options
    X Equals LoserX Equals Loser Wilford Brimley Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Hey, look, they're making Weakness and Tongues valuable again!

X Equals Loser on
    xequalsloser.gif
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    shryke wrote: »
    Actual English Post:
    In World of Warcraft: Cataclysm, warlocks will receive changes to their class talents and abilities. Outlined below are some of these changes. Keep in mind that this is an early preview and that these modifications are still under development, so you may see further adjustments to the listed changes as we get closer to launch. That said, here is a first look at these new warlock spells and abilities!

New Warlock Spells

Fel Flame (level 81): Quick-hitting spell dealing Shadowfire damage. This is similar to the mage ability Frostfire Bolt, in that the lower of the two resistances (in this case shadow and fire) on your target will be used for calculating its damage. Additionally, Fel Flame refreshes the duration of Immolate and Unstable Affliction. Our goal for Fel Flame is to provide a spell that's good for mobility and for use by Destruction and Demonology specs. Also, did we mention it uses green fire? Yep. Instant cast.

Dark Intent (level 83): Increases the target's chance for a critical effect with periodic damage or healing spells by 3%. When the target lands a crit, you get a buff to your damage for 10 seconds. This effect stacks up to three times.

Demon Soul (level 85): Fuses the warlock's soul with his or her demon. This provides warlocks with a self-burst cooldown to use. The specific effects granted by Demon Soul depend on the demon chosen. Demon Soul lasts for a certain number of charges or until it expires (around 20 seconds), depending on the demon used. 2-minute cooldown.

Soul Shard Overhaul

This major change regarding Soul Shards was previously announced at BlizzCon 2009. Soul Shards will no longer be inventory items, but instead a new UI resource mechanic. Warlocks will have 3 Soul Shards that can be used during a fight and will not be able to gain additional shards during combat. Soul Shards will not be required outside of combat. Soul Burn will consume a Soul Shard resource, thereby allowing you to use the secondary effects of some spells. Soul Burn has no mana or health costs and is off the global cooldown. Planned secondary effects are outlined here.

* Summon Demon + Soul Burn = summon the demon instantly.
    * Drain Life + Soul Burn = Reduces cast speed by 60%.
    * Demonic Circle + Soul Burn = Increases movement speed by 50% for 8 seconds after teleporting.
    * Unstable Affliction + Soul Burn = Instantly deals damage equal to 30% of its effect.
    * Soul Fire + Soul Burn = Instant cast.
    * Healthstone + Soul Burn = Increases total health by 20% for 8 seconds.
    * Searing Pain + Soul Burn = Increases the crit chance of Searing Pain by 100%, and subsequent Searing Pain spells by 50% for 6 seconds.

Next you will find a list of some of the warlock spell and talent changes for the release of Cataclysm. There will be further changes, but those revealed below should offer some insight into our goals.

Changes to Abilities and Mechanics

* All warlock damage-over-time (DoT) spells will benefit from crit and haste innately. Haste will no longer act to reduce the DoT's duration, but rather to add additional ticks. When reapplying a DoT, you can no longer "clip" the final tick. Instead, this will just add duration to the spell, similar to how Everlasting Affliction currently works.

* Curse of Agony and Curse of Doom will be converted into Bane of Agony and Bane of Doom. Bane spells are considered magic instead of curses. This means you will be able to cast one Bane (e.g. Bane of Agony) and one Curse (e.g. Curse of Elements) on a single target.

* Hellfire will no longer deal damage to the warlock.

* Imps will lose Fire Shield, but will gain a new ability, Burning Ember, which is a stacking DoT.

* The succubus melee range will be increased. The succubus will no longer have Soothing Kiss, but will instead have Whiplash, which knocks back all enemies within 8 yards.

* Voidwalker Torment will do increased damage and generate a lot of area-of-effect (AoE) threat. Suffering will become a single-target taunt.

New Talents and Talent Changes

* Pandemic will now cause Drain Soul to refresh Unstable Affliction and Bane of Agony on targets below 25% health.

* The ability Fel Domination will be removed (because Soul Burn accomplishes the same effect).

* Demonology will gain a new direct-damage spell, Demon Bolt. Demon Bolt will add a debuff that improves the damage done by the demon to the target.

* We plan to add a new talent, Impending Doom, which will give certain spells a chance to reduce the cooldown on Metamorphosis and Bane of Doom.

* Metamorphosis will no longer be subject to demonic crowd control. Furthermore, abilities available only while under the effects of Metamorphosis will be altered to put more emphasis on the warlock's own spells.

* Shadowburn will now do additional damage to targets below 25% health.

Finally, they are fixing the stupidity that is Curse of Agony!!!!!!!!!

Seems like we will be gaining even more mobility, and less dot maintiance.

Meta sounds extremely powerfull witha reduced cooldown.
    Wonder if you'd be able to get it to a perma demon in combat..

Also.. No dot clipping.. wow.

Gnutson on
  • Options
    X Equals LoserX Equals Loser Wilford Brimley Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I also wonder why we're getting focus magic 2.0. Most of these changes (shards aside, obviously) are kinda underwhelming.

X Equals Loser on
    xequalsloser.gif
  • Options
    Mr Slippy FistMr Slippy Fist Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Nothing in this preview displeases me. Also, the Mastery stuff that got clipped from the original post:
    Mastery Passive Talent Tree Bonuses

Affliction
    Spell Damage
    Spell Crit
    Shadow DoTs

Demonology
    Spell Damage
    Spell Haste
    Demon Damage

Destruction
    Spell Damage
    Spell Critical Damage
    Fire Direct Damage

Shadow DoTs: The damage caused by Shadow damage-over-time spells is increased.

Demon Damage: The damage caused by pets and Metamorphosis is increased.

Fire Direct Damage: The damage caused by Fire direct damage spells is increased.

Mr Slippy Fist on
    Yes, I hate my username and wish I could sign up with a new one. Registration sucks.
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    shryke wrote: »
    About fucking time.

That plus this:
    Leads me to believe that they're going to have pretty much all DoTs and HoTs able to crit innately, which is good. Crit has become such a shit stat lately for everyone who isn't a physical DPS since a lot of things don't benefit from it.

forty on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Meh, nothing super crazy I guess. Even the Soul Burn stuff seems kinda boring. This is kinda cool though:

Elessar Elfstone on

• Options
    edited April 2010
    The Soul Burn effects shouldn't be too powerful, or it's just going to lead to problems like "warlocks are OP in short fights" which leads to nerfs which leads to "only 3 soul burns isn't enough for 10 minute fights." It's better to keep them as interesting, utility effects or subtle boosts than something you "can't live without."

forty on
  • Options
    EndEnd Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    My comments:

- Soul burn system: No way to get them back in combat. That's bad for any case where you might have an extended fight. Also, nothing on how fast they recover when you leave combat.
    - Pet changes: Some cool stuff. I expect nerfs.
    - Talent Mastery: Boring, but consistent and reasonable.
    - Dark Intent: Hm, interesting it only affects dots and heals.

End on
    I wish that someway, somehow, that I could save every one of us
    zaleiria-by-lexxy-sig.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Meh, nothing super crazy I guess. Even the Soul Burn stuff seems kinda boring. This is kinda cool though:

I think we were in a pretty good place anyway, so no need for too many drastic changes. 3 pretty distinct trees that were all useful.

I was a little underwhelmed at the soul burn stuff as well, but forty brings up a good balanacing point. I can see lots of fights ending with a shard left over that you were saving incase you needed the health stone pop, or to insta-cast a demon.

Gnutson on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    End wrote: »
    My comments:

- Soul burn system: No way to get them back in combat. That's bad for any case where you might have an extended fight. Also, nothing on how fast they recover when you leave combat.

Yeah - no recovery option is not good - I very much am afraid of nerfs - although I seem to recall there is a cooldown on activating soul burn right? so you can't just do 3 chain empowers in a 15 second pvp fight right?

LockeCole on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    I don't know if there's a cooldown or not. I don't think they mentioned one before, and there's no mention now.

They mentioned giving a way to recover shards in combat when they hinted at it months and months ago (they specificly compared such a way to evocate), but now they simply say "will not be able to gain additional shards during combat".

Edit: Frankly, I think it should be like something along the lines of "each shard recharges X minutes after it is used in combat. all shards recharge within Y seconds after leaving combat" would be fair, and simple, with some values for X and Y (I'd say 6 or 7 for X, and 10-20 for Y).

End on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    LockeCole wrote: »
    End wrote: »
    My comments:

Yeah - no recovery option is not good - I very much am afraid of nerfs - although I seem to recall there is a cooldown on activating soul burn right? so you can't just do 3 chain empowers in a 15 second pvp fight right?

aside from the health buff thing I'm not really seeing a lot of practical pve applications for the effects anyway.
    at least for the ones we see so far

Beezel on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    forty wrote: »
    The Soul Burn effects shouldn't be too powerful, or it's just going to lead to problems like "warlocks are OP in short fights" which leads to nerfs which leads to "only 3 soul burns isn't enough for 10 minute fights." It's better to keep them as interesting, utility effects or subtle boosts than something you "can't live without."

I never said they should be crazy powerful, I agree with you there. I said they were boring, which they are imo.

Elessar Elfstone on

• Options
    AfroJAfroJ Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Drain Life + Soul Burn = Reduces cast speed by 60%.

I don't really understand that one. How do you reduce the cast speed of a channeled spell? Maybe they have plans to make Drain Life a DoT with a casting time?

AfroJ on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    By the way, I can't recall for sure which is currently the case for corruption refreshes:

a) The duration only increased enough to handle the new dot ticks.
    b) The duration is refreshed to full duration. When there are no more dot ticks, the debuff lingers even though the spell is done dealing damage.
    c) The duration is refreshed to full duration. When there are no more dot ticks, the debuff suddenly vanishes.
    d) Something else!?!!?

I thought it was b, although maybe it's c. Anyhow, if it's not a, there would be some pretty important factors that you'll want to handle (probably by making your UI smarter). Assuming they don't fix it. :P

I just can't remember which, and of course, I'm at work. ;-)

End on
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited April 2010
    It uh...channels faster. Not that complicated.

And Blizzcon had a thirty second or so cooldown on Soul Burn. I'm guessing a 30-60 seconds cooldown will be on it as it is way too flexible and powerful to simply spam.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    AfroJ wrote: »
    Drain Life + Soul Burn = Reduces cast speed by 60%.

I don't really understand that one. How do you reduce the cast speed of a channeled spell? Maybe they have plans to make Drain Life a DoT with a casting time?

It channels faster. Duh.

reVerse on
  • Options
    PierceNeckPierceNeck Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I thought it was something like, increases how long a mobs cast time takes. For when you're draining enemy casters or something. Since it's reducing cast speed, not time.

Maybe I'm just being silly.

PierceNeck on
    steam_sig.png