As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Street Fighter IV! I want to be the very best, like noone ever was!

• Options
    ArdeArde Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Does anyone have tips for landing FA's? I know that Fei Long is supposed to have a crazy good FA, but the only time I can pull it off is after knocking the other guy down. Also, is there a way to stun someone without charging the FA up the whole way?

You only have to charge to level 2 - once you see the black outline come out when charging FA, that's lvl 2.

It's blockable, but on hit it will stun.

Arde on
    Wii code:3004 5525 7274 3361
    XBL Gametag: mailarde

Screen Digest LOL3RZZ
  • Options
    TheOne(AndOnly)TheOne(AndOnly) Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    The medium one will stun on hit which is barely charged at all, and any counter with it will stun.

TheOne(AndOnly) on
    BNet USEast: Lampley | PKBlack FC:1850-1035-3335 | LoL PATheOneAndOnly
    PSN: Lqmpley | Steam: TheOne(AndOnly)
  • Options
    TheUnsane1TheUnsane1 PhiladelphiaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    StokedUp wrote: »
    TheUnsane1 wrote: »
    TheUnsane1 wrote: »
    GGs Stoked up! I really need to learn my elf normals a bit better.

Very good matches TheUnsane, especially considering the lag that I was inducing. We definitely have to rematch another day when my internet is up to my average 4 bars.

Yeah your elf is waaaay better than 99.9% of the ranked ElFs Ive played (ive actually never lost a match against Fuerte with Abel or Sagat) so that was fun. Definitely explore your normals more since its easy to predict the run and jump or jump off the wall moves. I definitely Hate el fuertes ultra! lol It seems almost unavoidable and pretty high damaging. I love using falling sky as well versus el fuerte because the second youd run or jump off a wall it would work, lol.

*oh yeah and my mic was at a friends house, i wasnt trying to be anti-social! Till next time Fuerte

Yea it confuses me that my Elf is way better vs Sagat then my Abel, I get zoned way worse as Abel I guess and Elf has tons of movement options. I have a hard time thinking to use my focus attacks and things with him too (this will change once I get my modded stick or TE stick and I put time into learning the RSF

Your Abel was getting zoned? His roll to me is pretty much his anti-zone tool, which is why i like him. He can play keep away so damn easily.
    Yea, roll into poke from full screen>block it get chipped by a light tiger knee or if closer I roll then get thrown all the time.

TheUnsane1 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    StokedUpStokedUp Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Arde wrote: »
    Your Abel was getting zoned? His roll to me is pretty much his anti-zone tool, which is why i like him. He can play keep away so damn easily.

Doesn't Sagat's crouching LK zone Abel pretty easily from doing his rolls?
    Wait, his EX roll has invincibility to hit, right?

All his rolls are invincible to everything except for throws and certain ultras. His ex-roll is just very quick and quick recovery.

StokedUp on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Gamertag(SSF4/MW2)StokedAidzzzSC2 ID Stoked.655
    Uploaded SC2 Replays
  • Options
    Page-Page- Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    For to play Akuma.

Looking forward to finally trying this game on the weekend. Just wondering who I should use in the tourney. O_o

Page- on
    Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    Anyone want to beta read a paranormal mystery novella? Here's your chance.
    stream
  • Options
    SabreMauSabreMau ネトゲしよう 판다리아Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Does anyone have tips for landing FA's? I know that Fei Long is supposed to have a crazy good FA, but the only time I can pull it off is after knocking the other guy down. Also, is there a way to stun someone without charging the FA up the whole way?
    If you expect a sweep or other non-breaking single attack, focus absorb it and hit them on recovery.

SabreMau on
  • Options
    RockinXRockinX Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Do we know how many units are they going to stock on the regular FightSticks when they are re-released? I want one, but I don't know if I can pay more than the 80 dollars it was worth when it was announced.

RockinX on
  • Options
    MasumeMasume Creator Caprica, FloridaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Alright, I'll be on for a bit if anyone wants to fight in the streets with me, Bison on head style!

Masume on
    3DS Code - 5370-0463-9307
    Wii U - 'Nocero'
    XBox ID - therealmasume
    PS4 ID - realmasume
  • Options
    AuburnTigerAuburnTiger Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    After I finish my lesson plans and summaries, I'm going to hop on and give Vega's third normal training challenge a try.

I'm going to need some help; I can't land the first move.

AuburnTiger on
    XBL: Flex MythoMass
  • Options
    JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Page- wrote: »
    For to play Akuma.

Looking forward to finally trying this game on the weekend. Just wondering who I should use in the tourney. O_o

that video is 7 and a half minutes of "wait till they are falling, then super/ultra"

oh and dont play akuma in the tourney, even if hes allowed

because then you'll be "that guy"

Joolander on
  • Options
    king awesomeking awesome Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Joolander wrote: »

This.

king awesome on
    Bigsushi.fm
    Listen to our podcast, read our articles, tell us how much you hate it and how to make it better ;)
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Wait playing the classic glass cannon of street fighter makes you "that guy"??? I'd rather face akuma then sagat...

TheUnsane1 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I wouldn't mind someone using Akuma, if not to finally show me someone using him correctly.

It's become a serious laughfest to see these players use his Raging Demon offensively, especially as a wakeup technique. If they knew to use it as a reversal like in that video, I'd have something to worry about.

I'm more concerned with Sagat and Guile players. I know what I'm getting into, and I don't like it.

Professor Snugglesworth on
  • Options
    FreddyDFreddyD Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    SabreMau wrote: »
    If you expect a sweep or other non-breaking single attack, focus absorb it and hit them on recovery.
    FAs can also be devastating against people who abuse deep jumping RH -> sweep.

FreddyD on
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Nice job, Feels Good Mang. I only really got wise to some of your trickiness towards the end. You were landing some insane combos with your C. Viper against my Chun; if they had given her a little more power you would have bested me handily.

Most of the time I'm really happy to leave with win/loss 50/50 because I don't like people to get discouraged, but I also don't like to be completely owned.

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    Page-Page- Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    What? Why wouldn't Akuma be allowed? We're running a tourney here.

I think I'll have to decide on the day, depending on who's stick I can practise on. Otherwise it'll be whoever I feel I can play with just normals and throws. Although, the sooner I get knocked out, the sooner I can go back to SC4 and recording matches.

Also, Raging Demon punishment is the surest way to land those things. The fact that you can land one on Ken's hurricane kick ON HIT is worth the price of admission alone.

Page- on
    Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    Anyone want to beta read a paranormal mystery novella? Here's your chance.
    stream
  • Options
    Feels Good ManFeels Good Man Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    hahah bizaz I'm sorry. I got owned. Never really fought too many Bisons and I want to use El Fuerte but I don't think I'll ever be good with him

Thanks josh, C Viper is a duder I really wanna play but I dunno if I can handle her yet, just know a few things

Feels Good Man on
  • Options
    Dr Mario KartDr Mario Kart Games Dealer Austin, TXRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Ryu Super/Ultra after a weak dragon punch is broke as hell, and you are a bad person if you do it, and I hate you.

Dr Mario Kart on
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Feels, you kicked my ass with Fuerte. I think if you give it some time you'll be just fine, Elf just seems to be about mind games and you'll pick those up with practice.

Also, my mom lives in Denton. Say hi to her for me. :winky:
    :|

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Meh...not as broke as Balrog's headbutt to Ultra.

Also...does anyone else have trouble doing their Ultra consistently online? I can do them fine offline but online I get a EX shoryuken motion most of the time.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Yep, I have trouble pulling them off online too. Even with a fightpad.

Some people are raving about the netcode. I'm not terribly impressed, myself. I'm not a huge fan of trying to enter a lobby 18 times before it works, or input lag that produces terrible shoto wankers with 2000 BP.

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Feels, you kicked my ass with Fuerte. I think if you give it some time you'll be just fine, Elf just seems to be about mind games and you'll pick those up with practice.

Also, my mom lives in Denton. Say hi to her for me. :winky:
    :|

OH I WILL

Feels Good Man on
  • Options
    aBlankaBlank Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Arde wrote: »

You only have to charge to level 2 - once you see the black outline come out when charging FA, that's lvl 2.

It's blockable, but on hit it will stun.

Level 1 will also cause crumple stun on counterattack. Level 2 will always cause crumple stun (assuming it hits/target isn't airborne). Level 3 is unblockable.

You'd be surprised how many level 1 counter attacks you can probably pull off on people. It's all about conditioning your opponent. Some people get way too poke happy which is probably the best time to throw out FA's. You can bait a lot of people into jumping (for crossup) or trying an armor break move to counter a FA, then backdash -> something.

In regards to FA's, anyone have a good chun li follow up to a FA? I don't use mine much, but when I do, I'd sure like to do something other than throw. I'll sometimes cr.sh -> legs but I'd rather look for something that doesn't use meter or deals more damage. I was thinking about her back medium auto-combo... can you only follow that up with EX SBK/Legs in corner?

aBlank on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Oh yea Zangief player rage quit because I beat him on time up playing keep away with El lol.

TheUnsane1 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DerigorDerigor Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    you know after supafly kicked my ass repeatedly, I played some ranked matches and I'm on a friggin win streak. I beat some 1300BP ken by jumping straight up over hadokens until time out. That raises my self esteem after Supafly destroyed it.

Derigor on
    PSN: Derigor
    A hulk's power is jumping.
  • Options
    MasumeMasume Creator Caprica, FloridaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Goddamn Sol, playing you is like an exercise in annoyance. Jab x 15 into throw, jump cross up, rinse repeat arghhhh!!

Anyways, good matches though, I have to work on finding out a way around mass jab/throw strat, I mean, I thought I jabbed like hell. You had a good way around the stomps though after a few matches so I had to work those into combos, but halfway through I was just getting annoyed. I need to work on dashing out of those cross up traps. The grabs just tick me off, their priority is sometimes retarded, but the chain off the blocked jabs into throw is almost abusive.

I really wish they left the throws like the old SF, where they couldn't freakin grab you unless you were standing (Minus certain special throws). The throws from blocked crouch with their priority is such a pain.

Looking forward to more.

Masume on
    3DS Code - 5370-0463-9307
    Wii U - 'Nocero'
    XBox ID - therealmasume
    PS4 ID - realmasume
  • Options
    Blitz RawketBlitz Rawket Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Ryu Super/Ultra after a weak dragon punch is broke as hell, and you are a bad person if you do it, and I hate you.
    Ryu's Ultra juggles off of fucking everything. Let's see, just off the top of my head--

jab shoryu -> Ultra
    any shoryu FADC -> Ultra
    jumping MP juggle -> Ultra
    any shoryu -> super cancel -> Ultra (fucking seriously)
    EX fireball in corner -> Ultra
    EX tatsu into corner -> Ultra

And I'm pretty sure I'm missing some.
    Dragkonias wrote:
    Meh...not as broke as Balrog's headbutt to Ultra.
    you are so crazy.
    Joolander wrote:

you mean "that guy who uses characters that people think are broken even though he has like six characters above him"

no, if there were a "that guy" it would be whoever's using Ryu, Sagat or Zangief. except there won't be a "that guy" because this game isn't broken (yet, anyway).

Blitz Rawket on
  • Options
    TransporterTransporter Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    hahah bizaz I'm sorry. I got owned. Never really fought too many Bisons and I want to use El Fuerte but I don't think I'll ever be good with him

Thanks josh, C Viper is a duder I really wanna play but I dunno if I can handle her yet, just know a few things

C. Viper is all about knowing your opponents tendency's better then they do and guessing correctly. I see why all the Japan player's love the shit out of her.

Getting in close and making a good string of good guesses wins you the match handily. And brutally. There is no better feeling then C. Viper completley breaking someone in half.

However if you fail you are brutally raped in the butt.

With a steak knife.

Transporter on
  • Options
    JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular
    edited March 2009

i thought perhaps it was one of those tourneys where you can only use out of the box characters, as in one you dont have to unlock

and by "that guy" i mean that guy that picks akuma so people think that hes trying to intimidate them and is not actually good, only to be genuinely good at using akuma

you know, like when somebody picks ken, you go "really?" whether they turn out to be flowcharts or not

you know

that guy

Joolander on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    So, my SE fightstick just shit itself. I lost to a 0BP Ryu because the stick decided that no matter what I do it wont register a change from side to side. awesome. lol no more blocking and no more special moves. that said I just destroyed some "even skilled" dictator only using heavy punch and medium kick and no special moves. (I got lucky and he did win one round but he was destroyyyyed). I also broke my light punch button from smashing the shit out of it trying to get lightning out.

SE default parts = not as good as my fingers.

Derigor on
  • Options
    TransporterTransporter Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Derigor wrote: »
    So, my SE fightstick just shit itself. I lost to a 0BP Ryu because the stick decided that no matter what I do it wont register a change from side to side. awesome. lol no more blocking and no more special moves. that said I just destroyed some "even skilled" dictator only using heavy punch and medium kick and no special moves. (I got lucky and he did win one round but he was destroyyyyed). I also broke my light punch button from smashing the shit out of it trying to get lightning out.

SE default parts = not as good as my fingers.

So goddamn fucking true.

It is hard to learn a stick when it ignores your inputs half the time.

And mine ain't even broke.

Transporter on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Joolander wrote: »

i thought perhaps it was one of those tourneys where you can only use out of the box characters, as in one you dont have to unlock

and by "that guy" i mean that guy that picks akuma so people think that hes trying to intimidate them and is not actually good, only to be genuinely good at using akuma

you know, like when somebody picks ken, you go "really?" whether they turn out to be flowcharts or not

you know

that guy
    makes sense. sorry.

The best thing about those guys is how they hover over other dudes for a second at a time like, "ooh, wait, am I gonna pick this guy? or THIS GUY? oh man, you don't know! I'M PSYCHIN YOU OUT"

even though the first thing they did on character select was move straight to Ken and stay there for 3 seconds

Blitz Rawket on
  • Options
    ToefooToefoo Los Angeles, CARegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I'm thinking I'll just pick up a Real Arcade Pro 3 instead of the TE stick now...they sell for $96 and have that palm space that I desperately need in a stick. I'm so tired of having to play with the D-Pad THEN having to switch to the analog when I need to do anything more than a 360 rotation. My poor thumb has a big callous now D:

OH! I almost forgot. I made my weekly trip to Little Tokyo on Sunday and stopped by the arcade (haven't been in there in who knows how long) and they had 3 sit-down SFIV cabinets, and only ONE person was using them. I think I've found a new secret lair to train in.

Toefoo on
    PSN: Soultics
    Weaboo List
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    I am so going to lose in next round of the tourny without my arcade stick working lol. I went from being decent at fighting supafly to being horrible.

Just ordered a sanwa stick and 6 buttons... I'll see those in a month lol. I guess killzone until then?

Edit: I just spend 50 bucks on parts for my stick toefoo, I should have bought the HRAP for 100 bucks off amazon when I first ordered the game. Oh well. Atleast mine will have a big picture of Blanka on it soon.

Derigor on
  • Options
    Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Another night of rage for me. I lost more BP than I gained.

This "more skilled" filter is a crock of shit. It really messes up my game when I'm pitted against pathetic, 0 BP players in one match, but 3k plus players right after. Or, someone who seems like an easy fight in round 1, but because I lower back my game a bit, he turns it around the next two rounds.

There's absolutely nothing I hate more than losing to people I should have no right losing to. Once again I fall victim to Madskillz25 or whatever the hell that asshole is named. He's the worst kind of Ken player-the turtling kind.

Professor Snugglesworth on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    I just came into some money and want to buy a stick (I'm not a craftsman and I don't trust myself to make it)

So come on MadKatz.........

make some more shit

Feels Good Man on
  • Options
    ToefooToefoo Los Angeles, CARegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Derigor wrote: »
    Edit: I just spend 50 bucks on parts for my stick toefoo, I should have bought the HRAP for 100 bucks off amazon when I first ordered the game. Oh well. Atleast mine will have a big picture of Blanka on it soon.

You must show me a picture once it's complete. And also, one of youse talented gentlemen will have to help make an awesome Gief picture for my stick. I am turrible with Photoshop...might as well be using MS Paint.

Toefoo on
    PSN: Soultics
    Weaboo List
  • Options
    SkutSkutSkutSkut Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    So MadCatz is still synonomus with shit for quality? guess I'm glad I didn't get a stick then. I has no soldering equipment or anything, not to mention the skill, what's a good stick for the 360?

SkutSkut on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Another night of rage for me. I lost more BP than I gained.

This "more skilled" filter is a crock of shit. It really messes up my game when I'm pitted against pathetic, 0 BP players in one match, but 3k plus players right after. Or, someone who seems like an easy fight in round 1, but because I lower back my game a bit, he turns it around the next two rounds.

There's absolutely nothing I hate more than losing to people I should have no right losing to. Once again I fall victim to Madskillz25 or whatever the hell that asshole is named. He's the worst kind of Ken player-the turtling kind.
    a lot of people don't try as hard in the first round so they have a chance to read their opponent. then they defuse the other dude's game. works wonders. they're not scrubs--a lot of good players do this.

Blitz Rawket on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    I downloaded Paint.net (google it, it's free) and downloaded the photoshop plugin for it.

You just load the madcatz template, then find something High res and past it into another layer on the template. if you want to get fancy then yea, ask for help... but for basic stuff it isnt too hard. I'm trying to figure out how to do the splatter effect around my buttons, but they keep making me do work at work so I havnt had time.

I know on SRK there are some bad ass gief ones already.... I think I downloaded them, lemme see.

Edit: you dont need to solder to upgrade the madcatz SE stick, and all the good parts are drop right in. It's a good stick, I think I was just a bit rough on it... or alot rough on it.

Derigor on