As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

I'm sorry. It's these [CHAT]yons. They're muddling things up.

• Options
    GrennGrenn Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    1. Fix kerning
    2. Choose school
    3. ?????
    4. Profit

Grenn on
  • Options
    bombardierbombardier Moderator mod
    edited March 2009
    So I'm looking up wiring LEDs to the eyes of my sculpture once I'm all done sculpting and painting it... anyone have any experience with it? I wasn't sure if I should just buy a LED computer fan and gut it or start from scratch.

LEDs are terribly, TERRIBLY simple to setup. Most run on 5 volts, and will accept lower voltages as well (so you could use 3 1.5V AA/C/D batteries in series to get 4.5V). To wire more than one, you'll have to choose between running them in a parallel or series circuit. Series will divide the voltage from your source by how many LEDs you have, so you'd need a 9V battery to adequately power two LEDs. Parallel will allow you to use a lower voltage source, but will also require more wiring (houses are wired in parallel). You'll also need some resistors too so you don't blow the LEDs.

Check this out: http://www.techdose.com/electronics/simpleled/

bombardier on
  • Options
    FlayFlay Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Aw crap. It's 4:30 in the morning and I'm still nowhere near finishing my uni work.

Looks like this'll be my first night ever without sleep.

Flay on
  • Options
    NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I would guess that whatever you do, coming to the states may be too expensive to be worth it. I figure you could probably learn the same stuff somewhere in Canada...and even if the instruction or the school IS of a slightly lesser quality than one of the really-good-places to learn in the states, I would imagine the thousands and thousands of dollars you'd save would still make it the better option.

Either that, or maybe try to find a good atelier outside of California?

I'm honestly just giving you advice based off of my own realization that I probably would've improved SO MUCH if I had never gone to college as a degree-seeking student....and instead just found ateliers, and 3D modeling workshops, and whatnot....and taught myself that way - getting the specific classes I needed to improve, while passing over all the pointless parts.

Of course, you're not going to go to an American *college*, so you should be safe. :P

NightDragon on
  • Options
    beavotronbeavotron Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I would guess that whatever you do, coming to the states may be too expensive to be worth it. I figure you could probably learn the same stuff somewhere in Canada...and even if the instruction or the school IS of a slightly lesser quality than one of the really-good-places to learn in the states, I would imagine the thousands and thousands of dollars you'd save would still make it the better option.

Either that, or maybe try to find a good atelier outside of California?

I'm honestly just giving you advice based off of my own realization that I probably would've improved SO MUCH if I had never gone to college as a degree-seeking student....and instead just found ateliers, and 3D modeling workshops, and whatnot....and taught myself that way - getting the specific classes I needed to improve, while passing over all the pointless parts.

Of course, you're not going to go to an American *college*, so you should be safe. :P

i may be completely wrong here, but i think the only ateliers that offer classic representational art training alongside the more marketable skills used in the entertainment industry are in california

cause if it just comes down to choosing any old atelier, florence is totally the one i'm going with.
    but i'd like that added bonus i guess?
    i think i'm asking too much, i think i'll probably get some really well-needed foundation training in italy that i can later apply to my own work and just...keep working my ass off

i mean, i've made it this far on my own, training, no matter where i get it from is only going to help i think.

beavotron on
  • Options
    ProspicienceProspicience The Raven King DenvemoloradoRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    bombardier wrote: »
    So I'm looking up wiring LEDs to the eyes of my sculpture once I'm all done sculpting and painting it... anyone have any experience with it? I wasn't sure if I should just buy a LED computer fan and gut it or start from scratch.

LEDs are terribly, TERRIBLY simple to setup. Most run on 5 volts, and will accept lower voltages as well (so you could use 3 1.5V AA/C/D batteries in series to get 4.5V). To wire more than one, you'll have to choose between running them in a parallel or series circuit. Series will divide the voltage from your source by how many LEDs you have, so you'd need a 9V battery to adequately power two LEDs. Parallel will allow you to use a lower voltage source, but will also require more wiring (houses are wired in parallel). You'll also need some resistors too so you don't blow the LEDs.

Check this out: http://www.techdose.com/electronics/simpleled/
    Awesome, thanks bombs that'll help a lot.

I had heard they were pretty easy which is why I planned on doing it. Thanks again!

Beavs: I would definitely go with florence if you can afford it (which you seem to be able to). Not only would it give you a great foundation, like you mentioned, but just an overall awesome experience (I mean... ITALY... a..and art!).

Prospicience on
  • Options
    TamTam Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Yeah beavo, the Italians might smell like garlic, but they know a thing or two about scribblins

Tam on
  • Options
    MetalbourneMetalbourne Inside a cluster b personalityRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Fuck that. Move to california and shack up with me!

Metalbourne on
  • Options
    edited March 2009

i'd totally sleep on your floor with your puppy
    you live in california?
    i thought you lived in like...oregon?

beavotron on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    beavotron wrote: »

you live in california?

I did until I lost my job in January. Now I live in SoCal.

Metalbourne on
  • Options
    edited March 2009

you live in california?

I did until I lost my job in January. Now I live in SoCal.

oh snaps
    need a roomie for about a year?
    cause if i go to one of those schools, i might be begging around for roomies. that seems to be the most expensive part. room and board.

beavotron on
  • Options
    PROXPROX Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I keep forgetting metal lives in SoCal now. Where are you metal? We should meet up. Don't take my lunch money.

Beavo: You seem to be doing really well by yourself. I don't think you need student loans on top of everything else. You know McGibs' school seems pretty good. why not go there?

Btw if you want to spend about $14,000 US Artcenter has the most solid foundation training this side of California. They have night classes which cost less but are of the same caliper. No degree. Which you don't need.

PROX on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    PROX wrote: »
    I keep forgetting metal lives in SoCal now. Where are you metal? We should meet up. Don't take my lunch money.

Beavo: You seem to be doing really well by yourself. I don't think you need student loans on top of everything else. You know McGibs' school seems pretty good. why not go there?

Btw if you want to spend about $14,000 US Artcenter has the most solid foundation training this side of California. They have night classes which cost less but are of the same caliper. No degree. Which you don't need.

prox if you can find me a bit more info on that, i would be interested as art center seems to have some solid instructors and student work.

i'm about to freak out at a freelance client who thinks it's cool to suddenly add 10 additional illustrations to a project that is due on the 16th of this month
    he seemingly messed up when explaining it to me.
    fucccccckkkk
    people are retarded.

beavotron on
  • Options
    edited March 2009

prox if you can find me a bit more info on that, i would be interested as art center seems to have some solid instructors and student work.

i'm about to freak out at a freelance client who thinks it's cool to suddenly add 10 additional illustrations to a project that is due on the 16th of this month
    he seemingly messed up when explaining it to me.
    fucccccckkkk
    people are retarded.

I will send you a PM. Also stop reminding me that I have freelance work too!

PROX on
  • Options
    winter_combat_knightwinter_combat_knight Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    5:52am, just woke up...

jack black was at my house doing dishes, selling coke/pepsi cans from a sink of ice, but giving away free solo drinks
    he did a painting of some dude sitting down on a chair
    i told him it was really expressive

then im at m y computer listening to music and i hear the escape from l.a tune on my computer

*end dream*

turns out my phones alarm with the (escape LA theme was going off.

winter_combat_knight on
  • Options
    edited March 2009

I live in Bakersfield.

Also, I'd love to have you, Beav, but I've already got five roommates and four dogs living here, and it's not my house to invite people into in the first place :)

Metalbourne on
  • Options
    wakkawawakkawa Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    The problem I have with the school I'm going to is that the first 2 years are really kind of crappy. That, and a bunch of the new teachers aren't that experienced.

It really is probably the best school for illustration though. Don't know about the other majors though.

wakkawa on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    wakkawa wrote: »
    The problem I have with the school I'm going to is that the first 2 years are really kind of crappy. That, and a bunch of the new teachers aren't that experienced.

It really is probably the best school for illustration though. Don't know about the other majors though.

how do you guys afford those places though?
    are you rich or something?
    i mean, 30k a year?
    seriously?

that's unbelievable

beavotron on
  • Options
    wakkawawakkawa Registered User regular
    edited March 2009

i mean, 30k a year?
    seriously?

that's unbelievable

Lots and lots of loans. I'll be in debt for the rest of my life.

The trick is alcohol.

wakkawa on
  • Options
    edited March 2009

i mean, 30k a year?
    seriously?

that's unbelievable

The trick is alcohol.

ahh see and that's where being a canadian studying in the states becomes a problem
    cause we can't get american student loans and we also can't get canadian student loans to study in america

shitty deals for us canadians.

beavotron on
  • Options
    edited March 2009

i mean, 30k a year?
    seriously?

that's unbelievable

The trick is alcohol.

ahh see and that's where being a canadian studying in the states becomes a problem
    cause we can't get american student loans and we also can't get canadian student loans to study in america

shitty deals for us canadians.

Everyone at my school ends up with loans up the wazoo as well. That's why i recommend the night program, which isn't at night at all most of the time. You can go to workshops and draw and get critiques all you want. All you need are basic drawing and painting classes to get you started. Unfortunately the best foundation teachers are in the degree program. Maybe you can cram them all into one semester, but unfortunately when enter the degree program you have to take a bunch of required courses.

PROX on
  • Options
    winter_combat_knightwinter_combat_knight Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Not that it relates at all, but in Australia, for university degree (for my course anyway) its about $5000 a year (only there 16 hrs a week). But for the international students, for the same thing, its around 20-30k. It's crazy!

winter_combat_knight on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    That was actually one of the main reasons I didn't bother applying to Sheridan - I wouldn't have been able to get any loans to go there. :\

NightDragon on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Sheridan seems like a good school, and has more positive points then negative. Do they have required courses for each semester wak? seems like the better choice to me then coming down to the states.

Beavo doesnt need a degree. It would be good for her to take the foundation courses and then attend figure drawing workshops to improve her technical skill. IF she wants to be a concept art, all that takes is presentation skills and how to properly show process. Which wak, gibs or me can teach her. if we are feeling so generous.

I think the digital stuff she has down.

PROX on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Holy pollen overload, Savannah!

NightDragon on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Sheridan seems like a good school, and has more positive points then negative. Do they have required courses for each semester wak? seems like the better choice to me then coming down to the states.

Beavo doesnt need a degree. It would be good for her to take the foundation courses and then attend figure drawing workshops to improve her technical skill. IF she wants to be a concept art, all that takes is presentation skills and how to properly show process. Which wak, gibs or me can teach her. if we are feeling so generous.

I think the digital stuff she has down.

wak goes to that one in florida
    i could apply to go to sheridan next september, not this september, registration is done.
    i could always contact them and beg them to accept my late registration haha.

beavotron on
  • Options
    edited March 2009

is it irony when someone is allergic to benedril?

Maybe...or maybe it's quite tragic because an allergic reaction to it would be fatal.

beavo: wak is in the states? damn didn't even know. Maybe it's McGibs that is up in the frozen north.

anyhow you don't really need to rush into things. you got street cred already.

PROX on
  • Options
    edited March 2009

is it irony when someone is allergic to benedril?

Maybe...or maybe it's quite tragic because an allergic reaction to it would be fatal.

beavo: wak is in the states? damn didn't even know. Maybe it's McGibs that is up in the frozen north.

gibs goes to sheridan :)

beavotron on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    You guys might think those prices for school are unfair, but they're not. How else is society going to breed the kind of misery and dread needed to produce great art?

See, this was President Bush's true plan. He looked out from his white throne with sadness at a world losing its artistry. So, he decided to create the sort of conditions that might envigorate again the artistic urge in people by plunging the world into catastrophe. Now I don't know about you, but I think that's worth hundreds of thousands of innocent lives and global economic upheaval.

Tam on
  • Options
    BetelgeuseBetelgeuse Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Wakkawa goes to Ringling in Sarasota.

Betelgeuse on
  • Options
    NibCromNibCrom Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I love that movie.

NibCrom on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Tam wrote: »
    You guys might think those prices for school are unfair, but they're not. How else is society going to breed the kind of misery and dread needed to produce great art?

See, this was President Bush's true plan. He looked out from his white throne with sadness at a world losing its artistry. So, he decided to create the sort of conditions that might envigorate again the artistic urge in people by plunging the world into catastrophe. Now I don't know about you, but I think that's worth hundreds of thousands of innocent lives and global economic upheaval.

fuck if I'm letting my master theory get botp'd

Tam on
  • Options
    VeritasVeritas Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Hey Guys speaking of California I might move out there this summer.

I'm also flying out there tomorrow to visit friends over spring break.

Regarding Tam's master theory: They should pardon Bernie Madoff as he was only fulfilling his patriotic duty by making people realize their true calling.

Veritas on
  • Options
    edited March 2009

fuck if I'm letting my master theory get botp'd

The funniest part of your theory is where you suggest that the current economic state is even remotely all the fault of Bush or his administration.

Betelgeuse on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    He used his political influence behind the scenes to get bankers to blindly give out loans and encouraged customers to take out loans they couldn't afford.

It's a work of genius
    also not serious

but I guess I might have over done the deadpan

Tam on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Serious or not, I'm pretty sure democrats bear most of the blame for pushing banks to give subprime mortgages. Either way, that was only one of many factors that led to the housing crash.

Man I hate politicians. And morons.

Betelgeuse on
  • Options
    earthwormadamearthwormadam ancient crust Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I just hate everyone. Except artists. They can stay.

earthwormadam on
  • Options
    KendeathwalkerKendeathwalker Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I saw a bum holding a

"Ninjas killed my family sign."

Brightened my day.

Kendeathwalker on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    "My family got ninja'd by medieval Japanese assassins"

Tam on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    For the past week or two (I guess the weather's finally warm enough?) there's been this old guy walking around town, who holds a "RENOUNCE SATAN" or "KNOW JESUS IS YOUR SAVIOR" sign and shouts into empty space.

NightDragon on
This discussion has been closed.