As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[D&D 4E] Legends Lost (Game Thread)

• DortmunderDortmunder Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    RE: the map. Braelani shifted to J6 on her previous turn.

Dortmunder on
    steam_sig.png
  • DajianDajian Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    “Nasty indeed Eyes, though not too much for us to handle I think.”
    Pip gives the Elf a wink and steps forward playing a soft twittering note. Alaen’s mind wanders slightly causing him to step closer to the Halfling in an almost drunken state and as he moves his wounds begin to mend themselves.

Pip then changes the note to a high pitched shrill and the Halfling assailant still standing drops his weapon and grabs his head screaming, falling to the ground, blood running from his nose and ears.
    Move: F5
    Minor: Majestic Word on Alaen, Alaen can use a Healing Surge and gain its value plus 5 HP
    Alaen is slid to I4

Standard: Vicious Mockery versus S2(W: 12) (1d6+5=9, 1d20+5=25)
    S2 – Crit for 11 Damage - DEAD

Dajian on
  • ThemindtakerThemindtaker Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Round 3!

Seriously, it's only round 3?

You can tell that this group is one of well-trained, battle-ready soldiers. The last man doesn't give any ground or turn tail, but instead grits his teeth and readies himself to go down fighting.

Map:
    bridge4.jpg

Encounter Information:
    Initiative:
    Eyes - 13/22 HP
    S1 - Human Soldier 1- 16/37 HP - AC 16, F 12, R 14, W 12
    Cain - 28/28 HP
    Braelani - 22/27 HP
    Alaen - 29/30 HP
    Niltsiar - 20/20 HP
    Pip - 23/23 HP

• The blue on the map is water. It's also a 50 foot drop to the water, which is very likely to kill any of you (or them).
    • The sides of the bridge are raised 5 feet up but otherwise are normal terrain (costs you and extra square of movement to hop up there
    • The squares with flames in them are on fire, so anyone who goes into them takes 5 fire damage, and catches fire, taking an ongoing 5 (save ends).
    • The messy squares down in the 10th and 11th rows are difficult terrain.
    • WHEN S1 DIES, IT WILL TRIGGER AN EVENT. so don't post any actions after that until I get a chance.

Next up: Eyes!

Themindtaker on
  • ArasakiArasaki Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Alaen is at 29/30 HP

Arasaki on
    edited March 2009
    Pip stepped foward to F5 (not that it will really matter but he had to move up to be able to reach Alaen with his healing)

Dajian on
    edited March 2009
    Dajian wrote: »
    Pip stepped foward to F5 (not that it will really matter but he had to move up to be able to reach Alaen with his healing)
    Yeah, I noticed that. I thought I had updated it but I musta either failed to save it properly or uploaded one iteration prior to that. I'll make sure I fix it when i get home from work.

Themindtaker on
  • RainfallRainfall Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Eyes dashed across the bridge, sliding behind the last standing soldier with a burst of speed. Her dagger hit nothing but air, though.
    Move - 6 squares to I6
    Standard - Deft Strike, move two squares to K4
    Deft Strike w/ Dagger vs. S1 (1d20 10=12) Miss.

Rainfall on
  • DVGDVG No. 1 Honor Student Nether Institute, Evil AcademyRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Got my turn so ready to go whenever the baddies go

DVG on
    Diablo 3 - DVG#1857
    edited March 2009
    The Soldier grits his teeth and swings his mace against the ranger, braining him and leaving him dazed yet again.
    S1: Standard: Dazing Strike on Alaen: 17 v. AC - Hit! 6 damage, dazed until end of next turn.
    No Map update.

Themindtaker on
  • DVGDVG No. 1 Honor Student Nether Institute, Evil AcademyRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Cain whirls directs his staff towards the one remaining foe. "Fight's over, son. Best stop this now."

An intense maelstrom of wind encircles the foe, bringing water from 50 feet down along with it, freezing the foe in place and leaving him looking distinctly poorer off.
    Frost Flash
    Wisdom vs. Fortitude, 1d6+7 Damage (extra +3 because of Primarl Guardian Class Feature), Target is Immobilized till end of my next turn.
    1d20+4=12 HIT! (just barely)
    1d6+7=12.
    Target takes 12 Damage and is immobilized.

S1 - Human Soldier 1- 4/37 HP - AC 16, F 12, R 14, W 12

DVG on
    Diablo 3 - DVG#1857
    edited March 2009
    "Drop your weapon! You won't get a second warning."
    Minor: Sheath greatspear. 2 hands free.

Move: Move to K4 in a non-OA-provoking way.

Standard: Grab vs S1. Strength vs Reflex (+2 for flanking)
    1d20+5=16 = HIT!

S1 is now immobilized.

You guys think we can get some information out of this guy? I figure it's worth a shot...

Dortmunder on
    steam_sig.png
    edited March 2009
    "Do what you will, you cretin! You can't stop the Legion of the Eye. You won't survive the day." He spits in your face.
    Since speaking a few sentences is a free action, I went ahead and responded.

Themindtaker on
  • ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    When you guys move in a "non-OA provoking way" what do you mean? I know shifting doesn't provoke OA, but regular movement does. Is there something I'm missing on how movement and shifting works?

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
    edited March 2009
    ArcSyn wrote: »
    When you guys move in a "non-OA provoking way" what do you mean? I know shifting doesn't provoke OA, but regular movement does. Is there something I'm missing on how movement and shifting works?
    It just means that we're aware certain paths would provoke OA but we found a path that circumvents that. For the record, I don't really need you guys to say that; I assume that if there is a path you can take to avoid OA, you take it.

Themindtaker on
    edited March 2009
    So do we just kill this creature or try to get information? I only ask because I have about an hour to post in before I won't be able to roll until tonight.

Arasaki on
    edited March 2009
    Delaying my turn until the end of the round - I don't have a good intimidate score so the only thing I can do is kill the soldier.

Arasaki on
    edited March 2009
    Ok, since Alaen is delaying for the interrogation, it's to Niltsiar. When your turns come up, for the purposes of this little interrogation and since he's the last enemy left right now, I recommend you do one of the following, or else delay:

Roll an Intimidate, Diplomacy, or Bluff check, with appropriate RPing to describe the information/result you're trying to obtain (surrender, who're you working for, yadda yadda yadda).
    Roll any other check that you think may be applicable, with justification and proper narrative so I know what you're trying to accomplish (history to figure out when this is, insight to see if this is an illusion we can shake off, you get the idea)
    (Try to) Kill the Soldier.
    Delay with a readied action (e.g. if he escapes Braelani's grab, I punch him in the face at the next possible turn [insert appropriate rolls here])

Themindtaker on
    edited March 2009
    For a 3'10" Halfling carring around a flute I can be very persuasive... just saying.

Dajian on
    edited March 2009
    Niltsiar approaches the human being held and simply asks, "Out of curiosity, what year is it?"
    Move: G3

Diplomacy (1d20+6=8)
    History (1d20+13=14)
    Insight (1d20+5=13)

COME ON!! A 2, a 1, and an 8?! I have a +13 in HISTORY and I GET A 1?! ARGHHHH....

Yeah, Pip, take your turn and I hope you get better rolls than I did...

Pip!

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
    edited March 2009
    Oh, yeah, I meant to specify: In-combat checks are a minor action, but since this isn't really fast-paced fighty-action, just lump all (knowledge) checks into one minor action. Persuasive checks should still be done one at a time unless you can convince me otherwise. Example:
    Move
    History+Insight+Religion
    Bluff
    would be a permissable round since you're theoretically checking your entire base of knowledge at the same time and there's not exactly the usual 6-second-per-round thing in place (or else you're all be talking over eachother). Also,
    Move
    Bluff
    Intimidate
    or
    Diplomacy
    Bluff
    Intimidate
    are kosher. Though in those cases, the RPing and the order of skills will matter.

Which means ArcSyn's turn is fine, I just wanted to specify for future turns.

Themindtaker on
    edited March 2009
    Pip lowers the flute from his lips and strides forward to the now restrained human.

Flashing a brief smile the Halfling says,
    “I am a kind hearted fellow you see, but when someone attempts to harm one of my friends I tend to get a bit… vicious.”

Pip pulls three small toothpicks from a small pouch on his belt.
    “I keep these on hand in case I need to be… vicious. You see these two slide under your finger nails while this third one… well it slides under one of your eyes.
    As I said I am a kind hearted fellow so I’ll let you pick the eye.”

As he steps forward with the toothpicks in hand he adds
    “Unless of course you want to cooperate and give us the information we are looking for.”
    Intimidate (1d20+10=17)
    Intimidate to surrender vs Will of 12 (+ or – whatever bonuses the DM feels appropriate)

Dajian on
    edited March 2009
    Intimidate (1d20+10=17)
    Intimidate to surrender vs Will of 12 (+ or – whatever bonuses the DM feels appropriate)

His face doesn't even flash fear. He repeats what he said earlier, word for word. "Do what you will, you cretin! You can't stop the Legion of the Eye. You won't survive the day."

Now that you're close, you can tell pretty plainly that it's more than his armor - the soldier's under the effect of a curse of some sort. You begin to doubt that he's even capable of providing further information.

Themindtaker on
    edited March 2009
    Can I use my remaining standard action to make an arcana check to dispell the curse?

If not I'll probably attack him.

Dajian on
    edited March 2009
    Can I use my remaining standard action to make an arcana check to dispell the curse?

If not I'll probably attack him.
    As an addendum to the previous result, to clarify:

You doubt your skills in arcana or religion are sufficient to dispel the curse; it seems to not only be deeply ingrained in the fellow Braelani's grasping, but it seems to still have a link with the bodies littered around your feet. Though you aren't sure what that means, your lack of knowledge in the matter makes you pretty sure the skill to remove it is outside your ability.

Niltsiar's Passive result:
    After hearing the fellow repeat that phrase again, you also notice the curse.
    You can discern it from the armor and key into its arcane flows well enough to sense not only its continued presence in the lifeless bodies but also sense it stringing along into the distance, among the fires, cries, and explosions on the other side of the bridge. The strength of a curse with that level of interconnectivity is something you've only heard mention of in Tomes that predate the Last War.

Themindtaker on
    edited March 2009
    “I see… then I guess we will just have to destroy you then.”
    The human’s eyes roll back in his head from the pain of the Halflings words and after a moment his dead eyes are left fixed on Alaen.
    Assuming I can still take my Standard then:

Standard: Misdirected Mark versus S1(Will: 12) (1d8+5=8, 1d20+5=16)
    S1 – Hit for 8 Damage and is marked by Alaen. - EDIT: aslo... DEAD

Dajian on
    edited March 2009
    He only had 4 HP, so that should have killed him.

Arasaki on
    edited March 2009
    I'll post the narrative text now, with a map to follow during my lunch break (~1.5 hours from now):
    The world flickers, then retreats as you find yourselves back in the cavern below the dig site. The bridge has given way to a hallway. You see that the hallway you're all standing in is just past the door that started this whole experience. You all quickly realize that you aren't alone in the hall. The soldiers you had killed are still with you, but are now skeletons...and they're not staying down.
    We're going to maintain initiative order; this is the same encounter.
    Braelani still has one of the Soldiers in a grab.
    The skeletons don't maintain any of their status effects or marks.
    It's either going to be Eyes's turn or Alaen can un-delay.
    Please refrain from beginning until I have the map up. To try and make sure that happens, I'll wait to post the statuses until then too.

Themindtaker on
    edited March 2009
    Round 4!

Map - Apparently a couple of us missed Eyes's move at the end of her past turn, so I moved Braelani and Pip to the only squares that made sense:
    basement2.jpg
    Encounter Information:
    Initiative:
    Eyes - 13/22 HP
    S1 - Skeletal Trooper 1- 29/29 HP - AC 16, F 14, R 14, W 14
    S2 - Skeletal Trooper 2- 29/29 HP - AC 16, F 14, R 14, W 14
    S3 - Skeletal Trooper 3- 29/29 HP - AC 16, F 14, R 14, W 14
    S4 - Skeletal Trooper 4- 29/29 HP - AC 16, F 14, R 14, W 14

Cain - 28/28 HP
    Braelani - 22/27 HP
    Alaen - 23/30 HP
    Niltsiar - 20/20 HP
    Pip - 23/23 HP

Themindtaker's tricks and treats
    • The white on the map are walls, for the most part. Except the Left and Bottom-Left of the map, where, as you know, the giant room extends.
    • The black is covering where you can tell there's a room but you cant see into it yet (it's dark, far away, all that)
    • Whenever Alaen takes his turn is where he will then be in the initiative order, so keep that in mind.
    • All skill checks are minor actions once again.
    • That final spot on the initiative order means something may or may not happen then, just don't skip over it by going within 15 minutes of eachother.

Next up: Eyes! (Unless Alaen goes)

Edit: On a completely unrelated note, I already updated everyone's mythweaver's sheets in the OP, in case you care.

Themindtaker on
    edited March 2009
    Alaen blinks rapidly as the surrounding change, and he swiftly takes in the scene. Still disorientated from the blow he suffered, he lunges forward at the closest skeleton, lashing out with his axes.

Arasaki on
  • RainfallRainfall Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Eyes lashes out with her dagger, jamming it into the skeletal soldier's armor before pulling back, spinning it around her finger. "What, you couldn't let us leave without a goodbye party? I'm flattered!"
    Standard: Sly Flourish vs. Soldier 1 (1d20 10=18)
    Sly Flourish damage v. Soldier 1 (1d4 6=7, 2d6=7)
    That puts Soldier 1 at 13/29 HP, and he is bloodied.
    Move: Shift to L4
    Minor: I've got nothing.

Rainfall on
    edited March 2009
    The Skeletons spring into action and surround the Fighter that had detained their ally, lashing out each in turn but only managing to get through her armor and her quick reflexes twice while the already injured skeleton breaks free of her hold.
    Skeleton Trooper 1: Move: Acrobatics to escape grab: 12+3 =15 - Success! - No longer grabbed
    Longsword at Braelani: 6+6+2(CA) = 14 v. AC - Miss!

Skeleton Trooper 2: Longsword at Braelani: 15+6+2(CA) = 23 v. AC - Hit!
    7+2 = 9 damage
    Move: Shift to I6

Skeleton Trooper 3: Longsword at Braelani: 8+6 = 14 v. AC - Miss!
    Move: Shift to K5

Skeleton Trooper 4: Move: to J6
    Longsword at Braelani: 12+6+2 = 20 v. AC - Hit!
    4+2 = 6 damage

Map:
    basement3.jpg

Encounter Information:
    Initiative:
    Alaen - 23/30 HP
    Eyes - 13/22 HP

S1 - Skeletal Trooper 1- 13/29 HP - AC 16, F 14, R 14, W 14, Bloodied
    S2 - Skeletal Trooper 2- 29/29 HP - AC 16, F 14, R 14, W 14
    S3 - Skeletal Trooper 3- 29/29 HP - AC 16, F 14, R 14, W 14
    S4 - Skeletal Trooper 4- 29/29 HP - AC 16, F 14, R 14, W 14

Cain - 28/28 HP
    Braelani - 7/27 HP, Bloodied
    Niltsiar - 20/20 HP
    Pip - 23/23 HP

Themindtaker's tricks and treats
    • The white on the map are walls, for the most part. Except the Left and Bottom-Left of the map, where, as you know, the giant room extends.
    • The black is covering where you can tell there's a room but you cant see into it yet (it's dark, far away, all that)
    • All skill checks are minor actions once again.
    • That final spot on the initiative order means something may or may not happen then, just don't skip over it by going within 15 minutes of eachother.

Next up: Cain!

Themindtaker on
    edited March 2009
    Shit, sorry, thought I went earlier.

Chill Wind
    Yadda yadda yadda
    Roll Lookup

Vs s2 1d20+4 = 11, MISS

Vs s4 1d29+4=20, HIT!
    s4 takes 4 Damage and is slid to K7.

DVG on
    Diablo 3 - DVG#1857
    edited March 2009
    Ouch! Damn it girl - you should know better. Don't give up. You can get out of this.

Minor: Draw Greatspear (was sheathed for Grab)

Move: Shift to K4

Standard: Second Wind! +6 HP +2 to all defenses until start of her next turn.

Braelani - 13/27 HP, still Bloodied, AC 20, Fort 17, Ref 16, Will 14

Dortmunder on
    steam_sig.png
    edited March 2009
    Niltsiar retreats from his position that was too close to comfort and begins to form a ball of fire in his mind. Thinking of the space between three of the skeletal warriors he unleashes a burst of flames from that space, cascading outward and over the skeletons as well as Pip. I must still be a bit disoriented from the time shifting.. Niltsiar thinks as he sees the wall of flame fizzle before it harms the warrior closest to him as well as Pip. But not too disoriented as he smirks when the furthest two skeletons light up with the magical flame.
    Move: B8
    Standard: Scorching Burst: J6 burst 1
    Pip: 1d20+5=6 MISS! (Yay!)
    S2: 1d20+5=9 MISS! (BOO!)
    S3: 1d20+5=15 HIT!
    S4: 1d20+5=17 HIT!

Damage:
    S3: 1d6+5=9
    S4: 1d6+5=9

S3 - Skeletal Trooper 3- 20/29 HP
    S4 - Skeletal Trooper 4- 20/29 HP

Map:
    basement3.jpg

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
    edited March 2009
    TMT If it's cool with you, by your "until you use it you can retrain it rule", I'm going to swap Linguist II for Implement Focus or whatever it's called from PHB2 (+1 to attack rolls with implement). Since taking a background will give me an extra language anyway, and then I won't get full action from the Linguist feat.

DVG on
    Diablo 3 - DVG#1857
    edited March 2009
    DVG wrote: »
    TMT If it's cool with you, by your "until you use it you can retrain it rule", I'm going to swap Linguist II for Implement Focus or whatever it's called from PHB2 (+1 to attack rolls with implement). Since taking a background will give me an extra language anyway, and then I won't get full action from the Linguist feat.
    Fine by me. I know there are a lot of cool feats in the new book (even though I havent seen them first-hand yet *shakes fist at B&N for breaking street date with 4 measly copies*) so I kinda expected as much this week. Same goes for powers if there are any new ones, or even if you wanna switch a feat to multiclass one of the new ones (but again, please only do so if your feat hasnt come into play, like our linguists, or some OA stuff that I dont think has triggered yet). Basically, my rule is Schrodinger's Daily Power: if we havent seen you use it yet, we can't prove it hasnt always been this way.

Themindtaker on
    edited March 2009
    Pip steps away from the guard that has turned into a skeleton.
    Pip’s eyes glaze over and bolt of silver energy strikes out at one of the skeleton’s but misses its mark.
    Frustrated Pip lifts his flute and plays a soothing set of notes once more. This time Braelani feels a since of calm comfort as her wounds begin to mend themselves.
    Move: Shift to H4
    Standard: Spiteful Glamor versus S2(Will: 14) (1d12+5=16, 1d20+5=6)
    S2 - Miss
    Minor: Majestic Word on Braelani who can spend a healing surge and gain its value plus 5 HPs (will not slide since she is where she wants to be I think).

Dajian on
    edited March 2009
    Nothing (that you all know of) happens during my "tricks and treats" this round.

Themindtaker on
    edited March 2009
    Braelani spends a healing surge and regains 11 HP (6+5) - Thanks Daijan!

Braelani - 24/27 HP, AC 20, Fort 17, Ref 16, Will 14

8 / 10 healing surges remain.

Dortmunder on
    steam_sig.png
    edited March 2009
    Alaen brutally swings his axes into the skeleton next to him, smashing through the creatures ribs and leaving it a pile of bones upon the floor. He swiftly moved towards his next target, determined to destroy all of the undead he could see.
    Minor: Hunters Quarry S1

Standard: Twin Strike (CA) (1d20+8=28, 1d20+8=10)

Damage: 10+ Quarry Damage (1d6=5) = 15 damage

Move: To H7 without provoking OA

S1 is dead

Arasaki on