Club PA 2.0 has arrived! If you'd like to access some extra PA content and help support the forums, check it out at patreon.com/ClubPA
The image size limit has been raised to 1mb! Anything larger than that should be linked to. This is a HARD limit, please do not abuse it.
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

[D&D 4E] Legacies (Game Thread)

11718192022

Posts

  • cytorakcytorak Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Adrik decided this was as good a time as any to try out his new weapon. Pointing the rod at the dogs, he shouted a battle cry and loosed an attack from the magic item. A crystalline sphere bloomed from the rob and crashed into the pack of curs. The orb shattered on impact, splintering into the creatures paws. They’d certainly think twice about moving quickly towards the group.

    “Let’s see you charge us now, mutts!”
    Standard: Grasping Shards vs W1(14), and H(14),(1d20+7=17, 1d20+7=17)

    Both creatures take 7 damage and are slowed until the end of my next turn.

    Edit: I rolled my stuff before I realized Traehern killed the two minions. I hit on all of them anyway, and the damage is static. If I need to reroll, let me know.

    cytorak on
  • ThemindtakerThemindtaker Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    If you want to shift the burst, feel free, but I think the most you can hit is two regardless. If you're okay with it, it's fine as-is.
    Next Up: Oren!

    Themindtaker on
    Horseshoe wrote: »
    Once a terrifying monarch, now my tiny arms can only twitch uselessly as I look skyward, awaiting the cataclysm.
  • RiusRius Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Heh, didn't think I'd get a chance to try this so soon. Here goes...

    Oren pulls one of the vials of water from his pouch and hurls it into the clearing. It lands between two of the wild canines, and a surge of primal magic causes the tiny amount of water to exponentially expand. The vast majority of the surge crashes against the Hyena, knocking it down for good.

    Not bad, not bad. Need to aim better next time, though. With a smile, he shifts into his beast form, stalking off through the grasses.
    Standard: Grasping Tide @I4 vs H and W2 (1d20+7=14, 1d20+6=8) Hit vs H and Miss vs W2.

    Damage: 1d6+6=9 Hyena is down for the count.

    Minor: Wild Shape into beast form.

    Move: to K12

    Next Up: Darrak!

    Rius on
  • ArkanArkan Registered User
    edited May 2009
    Darrak jumps into the air at the sudden exchange of attacks... and abruptly vanishes into thin air, reappearing a short distance into the clearing. He looks around shocked... and then embarassed. "Oh... right... forgot I could do that..." he mumbles.

    He then turns to one of the larger wolves. A shadowy curse falls upon the nearby wolf skulking in the shadows, then the same baleful light he's cast before shines down on one of the ones further away. It yelps, abruptly; despite no apparent harm it begins clawing at the ground furiously in an attempt to escape it, clearly harmed in some way.
    Move: Ethereal Stride to J9 (gives me +2 bonus to my defenses)
    Minor: Curse on Shadow Wolf
    Attack: Dire Radiance with Prime Shot on W2 (total mod +8) 22 is a HIT! Damage: 1d6 + 6: 8 damage, and if it moves closer to Darrak at all it takes 1d6+6 again.

    Arkan on
    Big, honkin' pile of WoW characters
    I think it's hard for someone not to rage at mario kart, while shouting "Fuck you Donkey Kong. Whose dick did you suck to get all those red shells?"
  • ThemindtakerThemindtaker Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Round 1.something!

    The cursed Wolf growls and whimpers, glaring at Darrak but either unwilling or unable to strike, while the other lopes toward the group, the shards embedded in its paws leaving it also whimpering, but this one in physical pain.
    W1: Move (2x) to G6
    W2: Growl.
    Map:
    clearing2.jpg
    Encounter Information:
    Initiative:
    Shadow Wolf: 38/38, AC 17, F 15, R 16, W 14, Concealment, Cursed
    Trahearn: 31/31 HP
    Adrik: 33/33 HP
    Oren: 30/30 HP
    Darrak: 35/35 HP, +2 to defenses
    Gray Wolf 1: 19/38 HP, AC 16, F 14, R 14, W 13, Slowed
    Gray Wolf 2: 30/38 HP, AC 16, F 14, R 14, W 13,
    Dire Radiance
    Sorych: 34/37 HP
    Kalim: 40/41 HP
    Starved Dog 1, 2, 5: 1/1 HP, AC 15, F 10, R 13, W 11


    Notes:
    • Some of you hadn't updated your HP to level 2 on Mythweavers and I'm AFCB (away from character builder) so I don't know what your new HP is. I guessed and added 5 on everyone who hadn't updated. Kalim, I assume you used the appropriate number of surges (4) to heal yourself after getting knocked out again. let me know if any of those values are incorrect.
    • Grass is difficult terrain.
    • Concealment is -2 to melee and ranged attacks, but is similar to invisibility in that Blast and Burst (or more generally: Area) attacks suffer no penalty.
    As always, let me know if I've forgotten anything.
    Next Up: Sorych!

    Themindtaker on
    Horseshoe wrote: »
    Once a terrifying monarch, now my tiny arms can only twitch uselessly as I look skyward, awaiting the cataclysm.
  • robp85robp85 Registered User
    edited May 2009
    Sorych growls in anticipation. "Kalim, draw the attention of the dog in front of us."
    I delay until after Kalim.

    robp85 on
    Skard, Shifter Warden
    Basic Attack +26 vs AC -- Damage 1d10+19 (+5 if enemy is prone) (+2 if Longtooth Shifting is active)
  • UEAKCrashUEAKCrash heh Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Kalim grins wickedly at the Shadow Wolf, staring it down. He lashes out with his sword, connecting solidly with the beast. A wave of energy envelops the two, locking them into place.

    Kalim motions to Sorych to move in.
    Whoops, sorry for how long I took to get this up.

    Minor action to mark SW (-2 to any attacks not me, I can teleport anywhere adjacent to it if he hits an ally and make a MBA)

    Standard action to Booming Blade Shadow Wolf
    1d20+8=22-2= 20 vs. ACHit!

    Shadow Wolf takes 1d10+5=14 Damage
    Also, if the target is adjacent to Kalim at the start of its next turn and moves away during that turn, it takes 1d6 + Constitution modifier thunder damage. (1d6+2=6 if he moves away)

    SW is at 24/38

    Free action to make fun of how readied actions work.

    Readied actions are lame.

    UEAKCrash on
  • RiusRius Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    It costs a standard action to ready an action, unfortunately =( You can't generally attack and then ready something else in the same turn unless you action point to do it.

    Rius on
  • UEAKCrashUEAKCrash heh Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Rius wrote: »
    It costs a standard action to ready an action, unfortunately =( You can't generally attack and then ready something else in the same turn unless you action point to do it.
    I thought it was you could ready the action, it just cost that action to do so. So, if the trigger never occurs, you lose the action all together. I'll look it up.

    edit: Well balls. I like my version better. I'll change it.

    UEAKCrash on
  • ThemindtakerThemindtaker Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Hey guys, I just found out (as in, my boss just walked away from telling me about 3 minutes ago) that I'm gonna be manning a booth for my Engineering firm at the UC energy conference tomorrow, so I'm not gonna be able to maek with the posting too much. hopefully I'll be able to hop on at least once in the course of the day, and I'll make sure to get on in the evening, but I don't know how the day will go and just wanted to give you a heads-up. I will make sure to post, if it's warranted, this weekend to compensate.

    Next Up: Sorych!

    Themindtaker on
    Horseshoe wrote: »
    Once a terrifying monarch, now my tiny arms can only twitch uselessly as I look skyward, awaiting the cataclysm.
  • ThemindtakerThemindtaker Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Another somewhat off-topic thing: I finally found a good source of images for the shimmery weird fabric:
    morphotex.jpg
    via io9.com

    Now, in this adventure the fabric colors are a little more subdued than that butterfly, but this is the shine and the sorta shifting-with-the-light effect that I've been trying to convey. I've also seen it in car paint - I've seen an orange-green combo on some ricers in the last decade, and a blue-purple one that was popular on corvettes back in the '70s.

    Next up: Sorych!

    Themindtaker on
    Horseshoe wrote: »
    Once a terrifying monarch, now my tiny arms can only twitch uselessly as I look skyward, awaiting the cataclysm.
  • robp85robp85 Registered User
    edited May 2009
    Sorry for being so slow, all....

    Sorych nods to Kalim and steps forward. While the shadow wolf is focussed on Kalim, Sorych brings his axe down on the spine of the animal. The axe easily rips through the body of the wolf and it falls lifeless to the ground.

    Sorych's lust for blood still rages inside him, though, and he charges the next nearest wolf. With a howl, he swings his axe across the side of the wolf's body, cutting a deep gash into it.
    Shift to H9
    Avalanche Strike vs AC of Shadow Wolf (1d20+8-2=24) Hit!
    Damage: 28
    All attacks against me are +4 to hit until the end of my next turn.
    Shadow wolf is dead!

    SWIFT CHARGE!

    Charge to H7
    Charging Howling Strike vs AC of Gray Wolf 1 (1d20+8=20) Hit!
    Damage: 13
    W1 is at 6/38 HP and is bloodied!

    robp85 on
    Skard, Shifter Warden
    Basic Attack +26 vs AC -- Damage 1d10+19 (+5 if enemy is prone) (+2 if Longtooth Shifting is active)
  • ThemindtakerThemindtaker Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Round 2!

    The Starved Dogs lope into the melee, biting wherever they can but only managing to nip at Sorych and Kalim's heels.
    D1: Move to G9
    Bite: 18+5=23, Hit!
    2 Damage

    D2: Move to G8
    Bite: 14+5+4=23, Hit!
    2 Damage

    D5: Move to I6
    Bite: 9+5+4=18, Hit!
    2 Damage

    Map:
    clearing2-1.jpg

    Encounter Information:
    Initiative:
    :arrow:Trahearn: 31/31 HP
    Adrik: 33/33 HP
    Oren: 30/30 HP
    Darrak: 35/35 HP, +2 to defenses
    Gray Wolf 1: 6/38 HP, AC 16, F 14, R 14, W 13, Slowed, Bloodied
    Gray Wolf 2: 30/38 HP, AC 16, F 14, R 14, W 13,
    Dire Radiance
    Sorych: 30/37 HP
    Kalim: 38/41 HP
    Starved Dog 1, 2, 5: 1/1 HP, AC 15, F 10, R 13, W 11


    Notes:
    • Some of you hadn't updated your HP to level 2 on Mythweavers and I'm AFCB (away from character builder) so I don't know what your new HP is. I guessed and added 5 on everyone who hadn't updated. Kalim, I assume you used the appropriate number of surges (4) to heal yourself after getting knocked out again. let me know if any of those values are incorrect.
    • Grass is difficult terrain.
    • Concealment is -2 to melee and ranged attacks, but is similar to invisibility in that Blast and Burst (or more generally: Area) attacks suffer no penalty.
    As always, let me know if I've forgotten anything.

    Next Up: Trahearn!

    Themindtaker on
    Horseshoe wrote: »
    Once a terrifying monarch, now my tiny arms can only twitch uselessly as I look skyward, awaiting the cataclysm.
  • simonwolfsimonwolf there was a silence you took to mean somethingRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    "<Brace yourself, Nido!>"

    Perplexed, Nido starts to ask, "<Brace myself for wh->" - but he's cut off by the pair's sudden removal from that plane of existence. Travelling in the Feywild for a few moments, Trahearn asks his familiar if he'd thought of anything inspirational to say. "<Nothing much,>" came the impish reply, "<Though you could try to say this...>"

    Appearing back in the real world with a shimmer, Trahearn raised his crossbow to bear and shouted out to all, "Victory to us in the Heavens, peace with blood regardless of status!"

    The bolt flies, glowing with energy, and skewers the neck of the grey wolf, bringing the beast down to the ground. Reloading quickly, Trahearn turns his head to Nido and asks, "<You're certain that was a quote from Aeronwy?>"

    "<Eh, Aeronwy or Asmodeus,>" Nido replies, "<I've always had trouble with those two.>"
    Move: Fey Step to C8.

    Standard: Magic Weapon with +1 Quick Crossbow on W1. (1d20+9;1d8+5 = 19, 13) - HIT, W1 takes 13 damage and is killed!

    Minor: Reload crossbow.

    simonwolf on
  • cytorakcytorak Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Adrick claps his hand to the new arcane implement and fires a concussive thunderblast at the nearest dogs. The tangible sound deafens the beasts even as their lifeliess bodies fall to the ground.

    The invoker stared down at his new weapon of choice. "I could get used to this," he mused, grinning wildly.

    cytorak on
  • RiusRius Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Emerging from the grasses, the primal beast quickly identifies the sole remaining feral wolf and locks eyes with it. Oren's commanding howl, tinged with primal power, cuts straight through the wolf's defenses and forces it nearer to him. Badly shaken by the attack, the wolf sways as Oren returns to his human form and takes a step back.

    "It's almost down... Darrak, be kind and put it out of it's misery."
    Move: to L9

    Standard: Cull the Herd vs W2 Will (1d20+6=21) Hit!

    Damage: 2d8+6=20 20 Psychic damage.

    Hit: W2 is pulled to K7 and is at 10/38, Bloodied!

    Minor: Wild Shape into human form, shift to M9

    Up Next: Darrak!

    Rius on
  • ArkanArkan Registered User
    edited May 2009
    Dire Radiance only lasts until the monster's turn, by the way.

    Darrak sighs. "As you wish." He looks at the dog darkly as he approaches it slowly. "Why does this burden always fall to me?" he mutters.

    He chants an incantation.

    The unearthly light shines on the wolf one last time. It coughs and sputters... then collapses.

    Then something odd happens. All the color drains from its corpse, leaving it a flat, grayscale thing, lifeless in every sense of the word... and then, abruptly, with no noise at all, it crumbles to ash.

    Darrak grimaces. "Poor beast."
    I'm a bit lost and not sure exactly where everyone / the wolf is now. If it is possible to move close enough to the wolf to gain Prime Shot without provoking an OA, do so.

    Beyond that, curse it, then Dire Radiance with Fate of the Void (and if applicable Prime Shot- if not, subtract 1):

    15 is a hit even without Prime Shot, for 14 damage. Wolf dies. Encounter over. Darrak = very yes.

    And finally some success in combat!
    Also, The Colour Out of Space references FTW.

    Arkan on
    Big, honkin' pile of WoW characters
    I think it's hard for someone not to rage at mario kart, while shouting "Fuck you Donkey Kong. Whose dick did you suck to get all those red shells?"
  • RiusRius Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Poor wolves... They never stood much of a chance. I wonder if there's time to bury them? Although, perhaps there is a better way...

    Pulling one of his red seeds from a pocket, he looks at it thoughtfully for a few seconds before looking up from his reverie.

    "If nobody objects, I'd like to spare a moment to gather them together for a pyre."

    Rius on
  • robp85robp85 Registered User
    edited May 2009
    Sorych puts his axe back onto his belt.

    "Do what you must, Oren. They died in battle and deserve proper burial."
    Spend a healing surge to bring me back up to full.

    robp85 on
    Skard, Shifter Warden
    Basic Attack +26 vs AC -- Damage 1d10+19 (+5 if enemy is prone) (+2 if Longtooth Shifting is active)
  • ArkanArkan Registered User
    edited May 2009
    Darrak nods. He says "Aye. Do what you will, lad." before moving to the edge of the clearing and looking contemplative... and just a bit morose.
    Perception for the hell of it: Critical failure! I guess he was contemplating his navel, eh guys? Ha... hahaha... heh... heh... huh.

    Also, you could stand to up the difficulty a bit, TMT. It seems like we're smashing these mooks into a fine paste, which is fine and dandy, if a bit... anticlimactic?

    Arkan on
    Big, honkin' pile of WoW characters
    I think it's hard for someone not to rage at mario kart, while shouting "Fuck you Donkey Kong. Whose dick did you suck to get all those red shells?"
  • UEAKCrashUEAKCrash heh Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Kalim drops his sword arm to his side, looks around at the dead wolves, and proclaims "whoops."

    UEAKCrash on
  • simonwolfsimonwolf there was a silence you took to mean somethingRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Trahearn swings his crossbow over his shoulder and looks over at Kalim. "Next time," he says with a touch of humour, "I think we might leave the scouting to Nido. Though your voice can move a lot further away, I think my familiar might be a little less noticable."

    That said, Trahearn and Nido begin examining the bodies, trying to see if there was some reason such a motley collection of canines was banded together. Both of them get distracted, however, when Nido's tattoo shifts into passages from the Infernma Sutra - Trahearn had no idea before now that Succubi were that flexible.
    Arcana: 15
    Perception: 14


    Oh man I critically failed my best skill check. Damn it, Nido!

    simonwolf on
  • ArkanArkan Registered User
    edited May 2009
    simonwolf wrote: »
    Arcana: 15
    Perception: 14


    Oh man I critically failed my best skill check. Damn it, Nido!
    SUFFER AS I HAVE, WHELP!

    Arkan on
    Big, honkin' pile of WoW characters
    I think it's hard for someone not to rage at mario kart, while shouting "Fuck you Donkey Kong. Whose dick did you suck to get all those red shells?"
  • cytorakcytorak Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Adrik takes in everything that just happened and opens up his mystical eye to see what information he can gleam from the arcane.
    Perception/Arcana (1d20+4=24, 1d20+7=26)

    Critical Perception and Near-Critical Arcana...I'm blowing my own mind!

    cytorak on
  • UEAKCrashUEAKCrash heh Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Kalim does a quick glance around the area.
    I was going to leave the looking to you guys, but, I decided to go for it.

    Perception 1d20+6=21

    Not bad.

    UEAKCrash on
  • ThemindtakerThemindtaker Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Arkan wrote: »
    Also, you could stand to up the difficulty a bit, TMT. It seems like we're smashing these mooks into a fine paste, which is fine and dandy, if a bit... anticlimactic?

    This encounter was meant to be easy; just a way of cutting your teeth on your newly retrained powers, new feats, and in your case, the ability to hit things.

    The last encounter, had I actually been able to hit you guys, should have had Sorych and Kalim unconscious within the second round. Had Willmore's daily hit, it woulda knocked any of you below 0 HP in one hit with only average rolls.

    But having said that...ask and you shall receive. I've been hesitant to ramp up the difficulty because had I before it would have either meant just a ton of easy baddies or guys with more defense than you could hit; but that problem has recently been rectified.

    Also, Everyone? Please make sure your HP/HS's are recorded on your sheet. I'm trying to keep track of them, but it makes my job much easier (and thus my posting much faster) if you guys can keep that stuff straight.
    Kalim is looking over the collection of canines and sees that they are wearing collars, suggesting some sort of domestication.

    Adrik peeks through the grass around some of the domiciles in the clearing and finds them all to be empty, though his Arcana tells him that the fire in the clearing was created and extinguished using magic.

    Themindtaker on
    Horseshoe wrote: »
    Once a terrifying monarch, now my tiny arms can only twitch uselessly as I look skyward, awaiting the cataclysm.
  • RiusRius Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Gathering the bodies of the wolves in the firepit, Oren whispers a silent prayer, asking the Primal Beast to safeguard their spirits. His request complete, he casts the red seed amongst them and they are consumed by flame.

    Watching for a moment, he turns to the rest of the group.

    "Someone trained them and used them for this purpose; I take a great deal of offense at that. Let's find out who it was and have a talk with them, shall we?"

    Rius on
  • cytorakcytorak Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    "Hmm...there's magic afoot, boys. Those fires weren't natural, and somebody put 'em out with magic too."

    Adrik nods at Oren. "I'm always up for 'talking,'" he says, twirling his warhammer.

    cytorak on
  • ArkanArkan Registered User
    edited May 2009
    This encounter was meant to be easy; just a way of cutting your teeth on your newly retrained powers, new feats, and in your case, the ability to hit things.

    Well played.

    Darrak rolls his eyes at Adrik's comment. "Oh, can you ever hold a conversation in any other manner?"

    Arkan on
    Big, honkin' pile of WoW characters
    I think it's hard for someone not to rage at mario kart, while shouting "Fuck you Donkey Kong. Whose dick did you suck to get all those red shells?"
  • ThemindtakerThemindtaker Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    So, which way are you guys heading then?

    Sorry for the delay this weekend - it's been an interesting couple of days.

    Themindtaker on
    Horseshoe wrote: »
    Once a terrifying monarch, now my tiny arms can only twitch uselessly as I look skyward, awaiting the cataclysm.
  • RiusRius Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    The domiciles are empty, is there anything useful inside of them? Passive perception is fine for me for searching purposes.

    I'm for going up into the mountains after this.

    Rius on
  • ThemindtakerThemindtaker Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Searching the domiciles you find mundane weapons and a 100 Gold-value Ruby.
    As per the norm, I'll wait for 3+ votes before shipping you off one way or another.

    Themindtaker on
    Horseshoe wrote: »
    Once a terrifying monarch, now my tiny arms can only twitch uselessly as I look skyward, awaiting the cataclysm.
  • RiusRius Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Sweet! Totally swiping that.

    how are we doing milestone-wise?

    Edit; oh yeah, how much experience?

    Rius on
  • simonwolfsimonwolf there was a silence you took to mean somethingRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Trahearn would like to head up into the mountains and clear out that potential nest o' banditos.

    Whatever direction we end up going in, Nido will turn invisible and, while hovering, scout 100 feet ahead of the party, with him coming back to alert the group if he spots anything unusual or dangerous.

    simonwolf on
  • robp85robp85 Registered User
    edited May 2009
    To the mountains to kill the bandits sounds good to me.

    robp85 on
    Skard, Shifter Warden
    Basic Attack +26 vs AC -- Damage 1d10+19 (+5 if enemy is prone) (+2 if Longtooth Shifting is active)
  • cytorakcytorak Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Bandito smashing sounds good to me.

    cytorak on
  • RiusRius Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    We never had confirmation of the bandit location, mind you, but mountains are as good as anything =)

    Rius on
  • ArkanArkan Registered User
    edited May 2009
    My vote is irrelevant! We already have a majority! *overdramatic sobbing*

    Arkan on
    Big, honkin' pile of WoW characters
    I think it's hard for someone not to rage at mario kart, while shouting "Fuck you Donkey Kong. Whose dick did you suck to get all those red shells?"
  • RiusRius Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Arkan: "Well I'm going to vote for a third party!"

    Kodos: "Go ahead, throw your vote away! Hahahahahahahaha!"

    Rius on
  • UEAKCrashUEAKCrash heh Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I vote for Kalim.

    Wait... what?

    UEAKCrash on
Sign In or Register to comment.