As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Lets go on down to South Park! WTF!

• Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    Aistan wrote: »
    Funniest part about it, in my opinion:
    Watching on the south park website and constantly getting 30 additional seconds put onto the ad timer because the site couldn't load the ad in the video and instead brought up a message asking me to disable my adblocker.

A refresh as soon as they start fixed that for me.

• Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    season 20 starts tomorrow, and the show is 19 years old. Which is just, I mean, that's when you realize you're getting old *cue Landslide being played*

But a little teaser for tomorrow dealing with a stunning and brave backup QB:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U-zJL9JuOLQ

• Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    I hope Mr Garrison is still Donald Trump

• Options
    CokomonCokomon Our butts are worth fighting for! Registered User regular

Don't worry, he is.

https://youtu.be/757jBhfRcn0

post.png
    Twitter: Cokomon | dA: Cokomon | Tumblr: Cokomon-art | XBL / NNID / Steam: Cokomon
  • Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    Cokomon wrote: »

Don't worry, he is.

And how!

H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    That was one of the first times they went all set-up for an episode to pay off later. And it was good as always. Member Berries are exactly what everyone in Hollywood eats, Cartman's whole passive aggressive PC thing while making fun of girls was top shelf, and Matt and Trey's response to the National Anthem was simple and nice.

And the twist ending, wowzers!

• Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    Damn, forgot to watch this. DVR hopefully caught it at least.

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    Wow:
    http://kotaku.com/isaac-hayes-son-says-someone-else-made-his-dad-quit-sou-1786664396
    Hayes III: Isaac Hayes did not quit South Park; someone quit South Park for him. What happened was that in January 2006 my dad had a stroke and lost the ability to speak. He really didn’t have that much comprehension, and he had to relearn to play the piano and a lot of different things. He was in no position to resign under his own knowledge. At the time, everybody around my father was involved in Scientology — his assistants, the core group of people. So someone quit South Park on Isaac Hayes’ behalf. We don’t know who.

Stone: We sort of figured out the whole picture a bit later, but that’s totally what happened.

Hayes III: My father was not that big of a hypocrite to be part of a show that would constantly poke fun at African-American people, Jewish people, gay people — and only quit when it comes to Scientology. He wouldn’t be that hypocritical.

Stone: It really sucked, the whole thing. This statement put out that he was quitting, it kind of called us bigots.

Parker: But we knew in our hearts there was something way more rotten going on.

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    I think that puts into context what they did with Chef's character in the video game.

• Options
    CokomonCokomon Our butts are worth fighting for! Registered User regular
    edited September 2016
    Member Berries are also a preferred snack of people who like to discuss video games, especially Nintendo.

Cokomon on
    post.png
    Twitter: Cokomon | dA: Cokomon | Tumblr: Cokomon-art | XBL / NNID / Steam: Cokomon
  • Options
    Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    The anthem thing was complete Trey and Stone. Solid opener. Liked it better than the Slurs one last season.

• Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    It's good to know that Isaac Hayes wasn't a cheesefucker after all, it was just those Scientologists.

• Options
    reVerse wrote: »
    It's good to know that Isaac Hayes wasn't a cheesefucker after all, it was just those Scientologists.

Yeah, makes me feel a lot better about the whole thing.

• Options
    BolthornBolthorn Registered User regular
    I really liked this as a season opener. Looking forward to where things develop from here. Loved the Member Berries stuff. Especially the turn they took.

The article about Isacc Hayes is rather eye opening. It really bothered me when all that went down back then. Glad to read it wasn't the man himself that made those calls.

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Hey guys think Matt and Trey were Bernie supporters?

Past that just a boring episode all around and a retread of their stupid both sides are the same crap. I expected a lot more honestly

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    Making fun of both sides doesn't mean that they think both sides are the same.

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    I like that it looks like they're going for another continuity heavy season, even building off the continuity of the last season (and earlier seasons where they brought in the Douche v. Turd Sandwich debate).
    On the down side, that tends to mean some bad episodes early on so they can build the jokes up over the course of the season.

• Options
    Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    I personally like that they show the hypocrisy of both sides. It is very Southpark. Like to the core.

• Options
    edited September 2016

Past that just a boring episode all around and a retread of their stupid both sides are the same crap. I expected a lot more honestly

They absolutely did not do both sides are the same

The episode posits that Hillary is unlikable and Trump is literally trying to throw the election by being biggoted but everyone loves it

Yes yes, the media constructed persona of Hillary is total bullshit, but that is how most people see her

override367 on
  • Options

Nope. I think they're fans of shitting on whoever's running and on the election process in general. If Bernie was still in, he'd be wearing the turd sandwich badge in this episode.

• Options
    I mean, they are Libertarians so if anything they probably support Gary Johnson.

• Options
    143999143999 Tellin' ya not askin' ya, not pleadin' with yaRegistered User regular
    reVerse wrote: »
    It's good to know that Isaac Hayes wasn't a cheesefucker after all, it was just those Scientologists that fruity little club.

8aVThp6.png
  • Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    ObiFett wrote: »
    I think that puts into context what they did with Chef's character in the video game.

What did they do?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    AlphaRomeroAlphaRomero Registered User regular
    What happened to the "Cops are Pigs" anthem from the promo?

• Options

50/50 odds between "it was a red herring" and "it's coming later after someone else tries to reboot Abrams rebooted album".

• Options

What did they do?
    They resurrected him for a boss fight as Zombie Chef. I believe at the end of it when you beat him he regains his senses and basically becomes normal Chef (albeit still a zombie) which is probably what ObiFett was referring to. I forget what happens, I think he gets re-killed after that.

• Options

What did they do?
    Chef was brought back by alien slime that turned him into a nazi zombie, but throughout fighting him the real good guy chef kept trying to come through and protect the children.

In light of the new information and what Stone and Parker had to say on it, I think that was their way of saying they knew that Isaac Hayes was a good duder but was being controlled/misrepresented by Scientology assholes.

• Options
    Yeah, that makes sense looking back at it.

Maybe fractured but whole will bring him back, since no one stays dead in playing superheroes

• Options
    The more I read about the implications, ramifications, and meanings of Member Berries the more I realize how genius they are

• Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    The more I read about the implications, ramifications, and meanings of Member Berries the more I realize how genius they are

Absolutely, it hit when Randy was having his share.
    Looking forwards to hearing what other stuff they ask people to remember from the 'good old days'.

They look weird and creepy though.

H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    I lost it when the member berries started to advocate for
    racist america

override367 on
  • Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    I lost it when the member berries started to advocate for
    racist america

Yea That and the national anthem were my favorite things.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    edited September 2016

No.

edit: They may like Trump*, and they definitely should like Gary Johnson.

* they are contrarian trolls who "tell it like it is"

Harry Dresden on
  • Options
    Jubal77 wrote: »
    I personally like that they show the hypocrisy of both sides. It is very Southpark. Like to the core.

True. However, it's not always equal. I remember one interview they did, for Reason or something, where they admitted they hated liberals/the left more than the Republicans. There's a reason this show is known for creating South Park Republicans and not South Park Democrats.

• Options

True. However, it's not always equal. I remember one interview they did, for Reason or something, where they admitted they hated liberals/the left more than the Republicans. There's a reason this show is known for creating South Park Republicans and not South Park Democrats.

South Park Republicans?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    South Park Republicans?

Yup. It's a thing or it used to be.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/South_Park_Republican
    In an online forum (South Park Studios Chat, 10 May 2001),[4][5] Parker and Stone responded to a participant's question:

Q: Are you two guys liberal or conservative? Me and my friends have had debates about this.
    Parker: We avoid extremes but we hate liberals more than conservatives and we hate them [conservatives].
    Stone: I hate conservatives but I really fucking hate liberals.
    In 2006, Parker, Stone, and Sullivan headlined a conference in Amsterdam hosted by the libertarian monthly magazine Reason. During an on-stage interview with Reason editors Nick Gillespie and Jesse Walker, Stone and Parker reaffirmed their discomfort with labels while acknowledging that their political views could be described most accurately as libertarian and rejected the direction of the Republican Party that they described as "more government and more Jesus".[6] John Tierney documented the declaration on the pages of The New York Times a few days later in a column called "South Park Refugees".[7] "South Park Libertarians," an edited version of the interview, appeared in the December 2006 issue of Reason.[6][7]

Trey Parker was asked about the term in an interview for his film Team America: World Police and what he thought about it:[8]

Q: I don't know if you've heard about this, but there have been essays written about the concept of the "South Park Republican."
    Parker: Yeah, we have seen that. What we're sick of—and it's getting even worse—is: you either like Michael Moore or you wanna fuckin' go overseas and shoot Iraqis. There can't be a middle ground. Basically, if you think Michael Moore's full of shit, then you are a super-Christian right-wing whatever. And we're both just pretty middle-ground guys. We find just as many things to rip on on the left as we do on the right. People on the far left and the far right are the same exact person to us.

Harry Dresden on
  • Options
    South Park Republicans?

In an online forum (South Park Studios Chat, 10 May 2001),[4][5] Parker and Stone responded to a participant's question:

Q: Are you two guys liberal or conservative? Me and my friends have had debates about this.
    Parker: We avoid extremes but we hate liberals more than conservatives and we hate them [conservatives].
    In 2006, Parker, Stone, and Sullivan headlined a conference in Amsterdam hosted by the libertarian monthly magazine Reason. During an on-stage interview with Reason editors Nick Gillespie and Jesse Walker, Stone and Parker reaffirmed their discomfort with labels while acknowledging that their political views could be described most accurately as libertarian and rejected the direction of the Republican Party that they described as "more government and more Jesus".[6] John Tierney documented the declaration on the pages of The New York Times a few days later in a column called "South Park Refugees".[7] "South Park Libertarians," an edited version of the interview, appeared in the December 2006 issue of Reason.[6][7]

Trey Parker was asked about the term in an interview for his film Team America: World Police and what he thought about it:[8]

Q: I don't know if you've heard about this, but there have been essays written about the concept of the "South Park Republican."
    Parker: Yeah, we have seen that. What we're sick of—and it's getting even worse—is: you either like Michael Moore or you wanna fuckin' go overseas and shoot Iraqis. There can't be a middle ground. Basically, if you think Michael Moore's full of shit, then you are a super-Christian right-wing whatever. And we're both just pretty middle-ground guys. We find just as many things to rip on on the left as we do on the right. People on the far left and the far right are the same exact person to us.

i'm so confused. it never actually describes what that is.

did the word moderate not exist at the time? the republican association doesn't seem to make sense but okay that's a 15 year old term.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    South Park Republicans?

did the word moderate not exist at the time? the republican association doesn't seem to make sense but okay that's a 15 year old term.

W. is technically a modern Republican, then and now. That last quote? Implied to be about moderate Republicans. I don't see why their view should have altered much up till now, there is moderate wing in the party - they're just been losing grip on the leadership. I would be very surprised if they didn't vote or liked McCain or Romney, who were both moderates.

edit: Why do you think it didn't make sense? Libertarians have been a long time voting bloc in the GOP.

Harry Dresden on
  • Options
    JeedanJeedan Registered User regular
    edited September 2016

If you watch the "7 days to air" documentary Matt and Trey are totally winging it in terms of finishing the episode right up until the deadline. Sometimes they come up with a funny scene first and then write the rest of the episode later. I reckon the national anthem thing was an early riff on the idea that got cut later on.

The episode already has a tonne of shit going on and it was spoiled in the preview so it isnt a great punchline. Also the "cops are pigs" joke in the preview is a totally different angle to the one they ended up taking.

Jeedan on
  • Options
    South Park Republicans?

W. is technically a modern Republican, then and now. That last quote? Implied to be about moderate Republicans. I don't see why their view should have altered much up till now, there is moderate wing in the party - they're just been losing grip on the leadership. I would be very surprised if they didn't vote or liked McCain or Romney, who were both moderates.

edit: Why do you think it didn't make sense? Libertarians have been a long time voting bloc in the GOP.

I don't see anything where they espouse a particular viewpoint. They just said they don't like liberals and they don't like conservatives. Granted they were speaking with a libertarian magazine.

The only thing I picked up was that they don't like extremes.

steam_sig.png