As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Hope & Hate (Ghostcrawler promised me a pony!)

• Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    riz wrote: »
    Hate: Quick recap, I got laid off a few months ago and am now living with my parents again to save money while looking for a new job, cos god knows how long that's going to take. Anyway this is going okay so far, I get free dinner and my parents don't bug me too much, except: Last night my mother apparently saw a Dr. Phil special about "gamers" and now keeps asking me these retarded questions, like I was in a raid last night and people were talking on Vent, and she was like, all concerned, "Do you think those people are real?" /facepalm

Just don't mention you're level 80 to her, since the level cap in that episode was 70. She'll think you're really having problems :lol:

Naphtali on
    Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    rizriz Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Apparently upgrading your computer is a bad sign according to Dr. Phil as well.

riz on
  • Options
    HalfmexHalfmex I mock your value system You also appear foolish in the eyes of othersRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Dr. Phil needs to be held underwater until he stops kicking.

Halfmex on
  • Options
    PierceNeckPierceNeck Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I want to see this episode.

PierceNeck on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    FreakinchairFreakinchair Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Naphtali wrote: »
    Hate: Quick recap, I got laid off a few months ago and am now living with my parents again to save money while looking for a new job, cos god knows how long that's going to take. Anyway this is going okay so far, I get free dinner and my parents don't bug me too much, except: Last night my mother apparently saw a Dr. Phil special about "gamers" and now keeps asking me these retarded questions, like I was in a raid last night and people were talking on Vent, and she was like, all concerned, "Do you think those people are real?" /facepalm

Just don't mention you're level 80 to her, since the level cap in that episode was 70. She'll think you're really having problems :lol:

Holy shit, my parents did the same thing last night. She watched the episode and started threatening to turn off the internets (moot point since I'll be switching to cable and I will be paying for it). Because you know, its SO much worse than sitting in front of the TV during your non-working hours.

Honestly, its like they dont understand that despite everything is polygons and make-believe that we are socializing and talking to REAL PEOPLE. Thats what makes these games fun. Of course, there are those people who don't work, don't go to school and just play all day - thats a little different.

Freakinchair on
    I'd construct a situation such that everyone died at the exact same moment so that we could attack whatever afterlife there happens to be en masse and so take it over and create a perfect unending afterlife existence. Also, everyone who wanted one would have an afterlife pony.
  • Options
    CowSharkCowShark Registered User regular
    edited June 2009

Well of course. God knows people can't have their machines working well.

CowShark on
  • Options
    PoketpixiePoketpixie Siege Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Hate: I was having no luck finding them on my own so I went ahead and bought the tiny emerald whelpling and the captured firefly pets. If I had waited I could have gotten the whelpling for less but oh well.

Happy: I don't have to camp for those two pets anymore and I'm only one away from having 75 pets and the getting the fawn. Yay!

Poketpixie on
  • Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Halfmex wrote: »

You'll want to hold him down for a few more mins after that. He's has a low cunning and may attempt to fake you out.

Thomamelas on
  • Options
    SegSeg Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    CowShark wrote: »

Well of course. God knows people can't have their machines working well.

Yup, a few people throw their lives away because of an addiction to video games and that ruins it for everyone else.

Seg on
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    The whole are these people "real" raises questions
    Did I really join a guild ran by a drunk New Zealander once? the same man who had a fit over the fact he could not taunt the lava?
    The tank of the same guild in a AB game said cover me I have to go kill a kangaroo.

Back when you could see in google image search a pig cartoon that did not feature a pig and I told someone in China to look with the comment I am surprised it's not blocked

I could go on and on with the people I have talked to over the years in on line games but it's strange to talk about them in real life to people

Brainleech on
  • Options
    Beyond NormalBeyond Normal Lord Phender Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Thomamelas wrote: »

You'll want to hold him down for a few more mins after that. He's has a low cunning and may attempt to fake you out.

The best method involves encasing his feet in cement blocks and dumping him in the East River. Bonus points if you can frame Johnny the Rat.

Beyond Normal on
    Battle.net: Phender#1108 -- Steam: Phender -- PS4: Phender12 -- Origin: Phender01
  • Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    edited June 2009

The best method involves encasing his feet in cement blocks and dumping him in the East River. Bonus points if you can frame Johnny the Rat.

Yes but then I might run into Victoria Gotti's brats and then I'll have to murder three people that night. I'm getting too old for multiple homicides.

Thomamelas on
  • Options
    Beyond NormalBeyond Normal Lord Phender Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    No worries, I know people that can help with this whole thing.

Italian pro tip: Italians don't like Olive Garden.

Beyond Normal on
    Battle.net: Phender#1108 -- Steam: Phender -- PS4: Phender12 -- Origin: Phender01
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    No worries, I know people that can help with this whole thing.

Italian pro tip: Italians don't like Olive Garden.

The quality of the craftsmanship of subcontractors has gone way down. If I put Dr. Phil into the East River, I want it to be years before his ass is found. But these modern guys have no respect for craftsmanship. With their shoddy concrete work the body comes up in a week or so.

Thomamelas on
  • Options
    TheTishTheTish Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Honestly, its like they dont understand that despite everything is polygons and make-believe that we are socializing and talking to REAL PEOPLE. Thats what makes these games fun. Of course, there are those people who don't work, don't go to school and just play all day - thats a little different.

I think that basically sums it up. People seem to think that playing WoW a lot somehow detracts from your social life. On the other hand, WoW is a method of socializing in itself.

I mean... I'm sure we've all spent time just sitting around ironforge talking in trade chat. Hmm... maybe that's not the best example. Or the times we've gone into the tram, and uhhh... ok... not a good example either.

TheTish on
    sig-1117080.jpg
    -- Gnome mage enchantress and inscriptionologist... er scribbler --
    sig-1497520.jpg
    sig-1497534.jpg
  • Options
    Thomase1984Thomase1984 Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Metacortex wrote: »
    Annoyed: 10 man ulduar we get nothing but prot tokens. PROT TOKENS RAIIINING from the skies. I think we've gotten 3 of the others total.

How many shamans/warriors/hunters? 1 hunter... sometimes, hardly often... so dumb.

You need to diversify your raids.
    278.jpg

Warrior showed up twice: 4/5 first run
    Hunter shows up once every two weeks: 4/5 second run

We've never even had a shaman or a paladin... no hero's and no melee buffs other then LoTP hurts =/ and we can't diversify or the leader of the downy group who hoardes the best ret pally and resto shaman to her group pitches a fit whever one of them even thinks of coming with our group.

Its annoying as shit.

Thomase1984 on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    TheTish wrote: »

I think that basically sums it up. People seem to think that playing WoW a lot somehow detracts from your social life. On the other hand, WoW is a method of socializing in itself.

I mean... I'm sure we've all spent time just sitting around ironforge talking in trade chat. Hmm... maybe that's not the best example. Or the times we've gone into the tram, and uhhh... ok... not a good example either.

Well, I mean, I can admit that I have skipped out on RL friends socializing times due to not wanting to miss a particular raid. Which is questionable behavior. But whether or not WoW friends are real people/real friends is a whole other debate, and people on one side of it are stupid.

riz on
  • Options
    DecoyDecoy Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Yeah, sometime during my 2nd resubbing into WoW I fully realized that all WoW really is, is a chat room with an RPG themed GUI element added to it.

I'm still waiting for a WoW addon that allows you to twitter in-game.

Decoy on
  • Options
    tallgeezetallgeeze Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Decoy wrote: »
    Yeah, sometime during my 2nd resubbing into WoW I fully realized that all WoW really is, is a chat room with an RPG themed GUI element added to it.

it's called [2.Trade]

tallgeeze on
  • Options
    DecoyDecoy Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    tallgeeze wrote: »
    Decoy wrote: »

it's called [2.Trade]

Really? In my realm it might as well be called:

Anal [Trade]

That's really all its used for.

Decoy on
  • Options
    Paradox ControlParadox Control Master MC Registered User regular
    edited June 2009

Well, I mean, I can admit that I have skipped out on RL friends socializing times due to not wanting to miss a particular raid. Which is questionable behavior. But whether or not WoW friends are real people/real friends is a whole other debate, and people on one side of it are stupid.

The thing about Socializing with people in WoW is that you really only know them from a vary narrow perspective. I think that changes a lot about how you react and treat a person. When you start to think about the relationships you gain in game, and think about how much you know about the person, you realize that its actually vary little. This obviously changes from person to person. But I think for the most part, people in game are more interested in getting shit done, then making long lasting friendships over the internet.

Paradox Control on
    \
  • Options
    edited June 2009

The thing about Socializing with people in WoW is that you really only know them from a vary narrow perspective. I think that changes a lot about how you react and treat a person. When you start to think about the relationships you gain in game, and think about how much you know about the person, you realize that its actually vary little. This obviously changes from person to person. But I think for the most part, people in game are more interested in getting shit done, then making long lasting friendships over the internet.

It's why you need to spend time socializing with them out of WoW.

Thomamelas on
  • Options
    SegSeg Registered User regular
    edited June 2009

One of my best memories of playing Asheron's Call is the weekend several of us spent at our Monarchs house in Oregon. She had a decent sized yard so we had 6 or 7 tents set up so we stayed over night and got to hang out with her husband and mother.

Seg on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Seg wrote: »
    One of my best memories of playing Asheron's Call is the weekend several of us spent at our Monarchs house in Oregon. She had a decent sized yard so we had 6 or 7 tents set up so we stayed over night and got to hang out with her husband and mother.

Those kinds of events are fun. You get to learn which guildies are lightweights and which ones can hold their booze.

Thomamelas on
  • Options
    Fatty-McPhatFatty-McPhat Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Happy: First raid ever! OS25 pug as my dps offspec. Which is the reason I dual specced in the first place really, since as prot I didn't think I'd get a chance to raid because my playing times change so much. Didn't win anything but it was fun and we only had like 4 deaths because we pulled the first boss during a trash pull by mistake.

Happy 2: Since I'm playing on a laptop I figured I'd lag a bit, but didn't notice any lag at all.

Meh: Don't think I did as much dps as I could have. Not used to my arms spec yet.

Hate: Still wearing like 6 pieces of defense gear in my dps set >.<

Fatty-McPhat on
  • Options
    BeastehBeasteh THAT WOULD NOT KILL DRACULARegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I met a friend from wow of 3 years in person last year after finding out she lived a county away from me

We are now happily dating and I'm typing this at her place after seeing Drag Me To Hell (holy goddamn a decent Raimi cult horror flick, I've glad he's churning them out again)

And she's actually a beautiful, smart, funny person! Always fun to tell people "We met through World of Warcraft"

Beasteh on
  • Options
    Kipling217Kipling217 Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    People just dont understand that Wow is really a chat engine with pretty graphics. Half the reason people go online is to shoot the breeze or bitch with people. It sure as hell aint the game itself.

Pet Hate: So just went on a Ulduar 25 raid, took down Leviathan and hunter gloves drop. 3 hunters in Raid and I roll highest. Raid leader wont give them to me because I rarely raid. WTF? I dont mind losing them because of DKP, but a raid attendance requirement? Old school was, you showed, your rolled, DKP was added and you won fair and square. Yes, equiping main raiders is okay, but what you going to do if Main raiders go elsewhere? Buncha guys in blues doing diddly squat.

Spread the wealth is the operative word. Give the Hardcore DKP by all means(extra for being loyal even), but let the casuals get some too. Didn't care personaly because I am not a loot whore, but thats the kind of attitude that breaks guilds

Kipling217 on
    The sky was full of stars, every star an exploding ship. One of ours.
  • Options
    TheTishTheTish Registered User regular
    edited June 2009

Yep... I definitely agree. Although it might not be possible to do it incredibly often when you have guildmates spread all over the place, at least try to organize something outside of WoW. One thing that drew me to the guild I'm in is that they organize a trip to Vegas every year. Every guild should do something like that.

TheTish on
    sig-1117080.jpg
    -- Gnome mage enchantress and inscriptionologist... er scribbler --
    sig-1497520.jpg
    sig-1497534.jpg
  • Options
    LouieLouie Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Hate: Freya 25 hardmode.

That is all

Louie on
    camo_sig.png
    Twitter - discolouie PSN - Loupa Steam - Loupa
  • Options
    edited June 2009

Yep... I definitely agree. Although it might not be possible to do it incredibly often when you have guildmates spread all over the place, at least try to organize something outside of WoW. One thing that drew me to the guild I'm in is that they organize a trip to Vegas every year. Every guild should do something like that.

Vegas is a great gathering point. I have a picture of myself and the members of my former guild all hanging out in front of the Star Trek experience. There is a Klingon in the picture. It doesn't get much nerdier.

Thomamelas on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    A bunch of people from my last guild get together regularly, and still do it now that everyone split up. I'm too poor to fly to TX though, so I can never join in.

EDIT: TX because about 50% of the people live in Austin or Dallas.

PierceNeck on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Louie wrote: »
    Hate: Freya 25 hardmode.

That is all

This, so hard.

Dhalphir on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    PierceNeck wrote: »
    A bunch of people from my last guild get together regularly, and still do it now that everyone split up. I'm too poor to fly to TX though, so I can never join in.

EDIT: TX because about 50% of the people live in Austin or Dallas.

Yeah most of my guild lives very spread out and very few are even out of college, never mind those of us currently without jobs.

riz on
  • Options
    EndEnd Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Hate: Terrible raid tonight. People have no situational awareness at all.
    Hope: Monday is better.

End on
    I wish that someway, somehow, that I could save every one of us
    zaleiria-by-lexxy-sig.jpg
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    The people in my guild are my brother whom I live with, a woman in Canada, and a guy in Australia so I highly doubt we will ever get together other than online

Brainleech on
  • Options
    SkeithSkeith Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Hate: Six healers couldn't show up tonight, not counting our hybrids.

Happy: Rune Edge get!

Skeith on
    aTBDrQE.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Hate: I didn't go to the first two raid nights this week, but I guess they didn't go great. And a lot of people weren't around tonight. So tonight wasn't going so hot either, and a bunch of people were just getting mad at each other really easily. I wanted to sign off of vent just so I didn't have to hear it.

Happy: My friend got to come in on his rogue, his first raid! And he's still got a lot of gearing up in heroics to do haha. But he got some new boots and I was excited for him even though his dps was crap.

PierceNeck on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    FightTestFightTest Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Happy: Now seen all the content I really cared to see. At this point it's coasting as I don't care enough about the game to care about grinding gear.

Amused: Doing a guild HHoL with people I've been doing heroics with many a time for the past couple weeks. I nearly die on a double vyrkul pull when they run in and both hit me with harpoons. After the fight I say, "I nearly died. That was terrifying." Tank mentions charge, I say it was just the double harpoon thing. He says they're random, nothing to be done. I reply with "No. You control those fucking harpoons. Do your job." He apparently takes me seriously and pops a nerd vessel and is like, "talk to me like that again and you'll be out on your ass."

On the one hand it's never nice to have people upset with you, but on the other hand taking a goofy comment about controlling a random target really seriously is beyond my capacity to coddle someone's desire to be offended. Especially in a PA guild where 99% of the shit people say is in jest. Whose first inclination is to take something seriously to be offended?

I sent him a tell about 30 awkward seconds later when I finally realized that he might have been serious but got no response. Ah well. That's inexplicably sandy vaginal canals for you.

FightTest on
    MOBA DOTA.
  • Options
    SoundwaveSoundwave Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Congratulations, you're now guildless.

Soundwave on
  • Options
    TyberiusTyberius Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Did this really need to spread to the forums? Really?

Hate: Resto Druids in PvP. I'm now giving it a shot and man, it's not even difficult. Ferals get no love in PvP or even PvE for the amount of work we do to do comparable DPS (Feral Cats that is).

Tyberius on
This discussion has been closed.