Options

[WAR] It was the best of times- It was the WAAAAGH of times. <<Closed>>

• Options
    AxonAxon Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Okay, just resigned up. I can't seem to make a slayer or choppa....am I doing something wrong, or do you have to achieve something in game to get one?

Axon on
  • Options
    BlueDestinyBlueDestiny Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Axon wrote: »
    Okay, just resigned up. I can't seem to make a slayer or choppa....am I doing something wrong, or do you have to achieve something in game to get one?

Only people who did a bunch of stuff last week are able to make the new classes now. I think next week is the open release.

BlueDestiny on
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    A duck! wrote: »
    Saammiel wrote: »
    And tanks get to play with themselves outside the postern door :P

Or do they get a differently named skill? Not that it really matters, this skill seems kind of situational at best.

The skill is excellent for mopping up lightly defended keeps. No more dealing with one guy trying to farm RP using oil while you steamroll a keep. I don't think it is that useful on keeps that have actual defense, since MDPS gets melted pretty easy. If you were really coordinated you could probably make a pretty sweet 4 MDPS, 2 Pocket Healers group though.

And tanks don't need to sit at the postern. They have an actual role, in that they can beat on the keep door and man rams far easier than MDPS since they have Big Boy Mitigation. I die a little inside whenever I see a WH trying to beat on a door with oil up. I just know he will die sooner or later.

On a happy note, I just got my last Anni piece after acheiving RR44 and almost maxing all my ORvR influence bars.

I know they don't, I was just making a snarky comment about the lack of a postern door invading skill. I'd much rather have the door healing one though.

Uh, oil is not physical damage.

Tanks suffer the same resist cap as everyone else. All they get is a shield. How many tanks with shields do you see beating on the average door?

(Oil can be blocked AND dodged, so hold the line affects it. If you had a few shield tanks spamming hold the line right at the front of the door you could have tones of wh pounding on it, it'd be fine)

Yes, but they do have tons more HP, and resist the other AoEs that you usually see a lot better, so they don't get spiked nearly as often. Come on, man.

I'm pretty sure almost every single sizeable aoe in the game is now a resistance based item.

All they have is hitpoints and a shield. It really is not that big of a difference anymore man. I don't have to come on, that's just how the game is atm!

The reason the tanks that are doing well are doing well is because they have parry and or block bonuses. Other than, I think choppas/slayers, hardly anything does sizeable physical damage except autoattack and another tank.

And even if all that was not true I still think giving meleedps 45% dodge to the oil and every aoe that could ever be thrown at them (three stacked hold the lines) and they would bring the door down really, really fast.

Just nobody wants to coordinate that. Like, at all. Ever.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    vonPoonBurGervonPoonBurGer Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    All they have is hitpoints and a shield.
    You're forgetting toughness, which is a pretty major oversight. I went from a high-strength / medium-toughness setup on my Knight to one that was much more balanced between Str and Tough. With ~250 Tough before, oil was hitting me for something like 800 a tick. I'm at ~450 Tough now after hitting 28 and equipping all my oRvR gear and Devastator pieces, and oil ticks for more like 550 now. That's a pretty big difference, especially when you consider that nearly a third of the oil ticks don't actually hit me thanks to block (23% chance) and dodge (6% chance). It's still not worth having tanks beating on the door, especially high-defense tanks with their meager DPS, but those are definitely the people you want to have running the ram when assaulting a defended keep.

vonPoonBurGer on
    Xbox Live:vonPoon | PSN: vonPoon | Steam: vonPoonBurGer
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I wasn't forgetting toughness, because I was only talking about hitting the door.

Those fully toughness dudes? Yeah they should be doing hold the line because they're wasting their time otherwise. It's what I do on my chosen at keep sieges. I also throw that 50% damage reducing morale onto the oil.

I got no beef with tanks on the ram at all I mean, that's common sense.

This is a pet rant with me, so I'm more worked up than I should be. Hold the line is probably one of the most powerful core skills I've ever seen a tank have in a pvp game but I rarely see it get used.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    BlueDestinyBlueDestiny Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    A fun thing to do is stand facing backwards a ways behind the RDPS death line and use hold the line. They get all the benefits and you get none of the risk!

BlueDestiny on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Haha I didn't think of that. Still it's only 15% unless you convince a couple other tanks to hang out with you at the back, chatting and chillin. I like it because if another tank isn't doing it with me, at least at the front someone (stupid) is going to target me because I'm in front so I'm tanking at the same time. :P

Morninglord on
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited March 2009
    Has the whole Destro server thing settled, or is PA doomed to be scattered across the game?

I'd totally roll a Black Orc for the new Choppas.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    DetharinDetharin Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Hold the line rocks, ideally you would have 7 tanks on a door. 4 running the ram and 3 doing hold the line. The more people you add, the more people you need to heal, and frankly keep those 7 alive against any kind of decent defense is a pain in the ass currently.

High toughness rocks, but take my advice and at least toss your renown points in initiative. At RR 34 that extra 102 initiative is going to drop you from 26% chance to be crit to around 13%, and your unlikely to get much on any of your gear.

Detharin on
  • Options
    Lucky CynicLucky Cynic Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Dis wrote: »
    https://accounts.eamythic.com/war/reactivate
    Guess I will be reactivating 8-)

But did you get a friend invite from someone to come back so that one of us could get a free 30 days of game time? o_o;

Lucky Cynic on
  • Options
    SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    Has the whole Destro server thing settled, or is PA doomed to be scattered across the game?

Yeah. I'm pretty sure now that I can't play this game without a good dedicated guild.

Septus on
    PSN: Kurahoshi1
  • Options
    DisDis Registered User regular
    edited March 2009

But did you get a friend invite from someone to come back so that one of us could get a free 30 days of game time? o_o;

(?_?)
    The friend invite code works for ex-subscribers too?
    I thought only for trial folks?
    Anyway I only reactivate for that free 10 days not pay for a new month.
    *is waiting for cross servers scenarios
    Going to lv up my lv 36 Chosen to 40 in this 10 days.

Dis on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    I was planning on coming back soon, but I don't think it's been 60 days for me.

Septus on
  • Options
    edited March 2009

(?_?)

I directly replied to you on the top of this page. >_>;

Lucky Cynic on
  • Options
    MadnessBAMadnessBA Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Well, Triskel will finally be returning to the fields of way : D. rested experience from november built up is just too awesome.

Also slayers.... Slayers...

: D. Anyways I'll probably try to message someone to rejoin the guild even though nobody probably remembers me. I'm a 23 maurader

MadnessBA on
  • Options
    DisDis Registered User regular
    edited March 2009

(?_?)

I directly replied to you on the top of this page. >_>;

1) It's not been 60 days since my account expire. Only around 45 days.
    2) I am not resubbing, only reactivating for the 10 free days.

Dis on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    MadnessBA wrote: »
    Well, Triskel will finally be returning to the fields of way : D. rested experience from november built up is just too awesome.

Also slayers.... Slayers...

: D. Anyways I'll probably try to message someone to rejoin the guild even though nobody probably remembers me. I'm a 23 maurader

Were on Iron Rock right now. Best mosie on over if you haven't already. Welcome back.

Lucky Cynic on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Hmm, chosen get -10% to crits tactic too. So they'd have 3% chance?

Morninglord on
  • Options
    übergeekübergeek Sector 2814Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    So I'm going SH, I just spent lv 9 until I dinged 10 in some epic Khaine's Embrace rounds and a few Ekrund where I was top 3 for damage, top kills, top killing blows, practically no deaths, and point blank is -fun-.

übergeek on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    zilozilo Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Septus wrote: »

Yeah. I'm pretty sure now that I can't play this game without a good dedicated guild.

I'm waitin' for Choppas to open up to the masses since that's what I wanted my Blorc to be from the beginning.

What's up with the server? Did the old Destro guild just up and die?

zilo on
  • Options
    DroolDrool Science! AustinRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I played in the beta, but didn't buy the game. So is there a way to get a 10 free trial without having to sign up a new account? I seem to only have the option to "reactivate" but I don't have a cd key. Did you guys get keys for the recruit a friend thingy?

Drool on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Gimme yer email in a pm and I'll send you one? Or have you already got one?

Morninglord on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Yeah drool, just PM someone and they can send you a friend trial and you can then apply it to your old account which still exists. Or you can make a new one, but there is nothing wrong with an account from beta.

Lucky Cynic on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    OK cool, sent a PM to Morninglord.

Drool on
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Sad to see the Candymancers so buried in the OP when they're still doing quite well.

Darkewolfe on
    What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    That's good to know I'll probably make another Warrior Priest, or maybe mess with the Knight of the Blazing Sun.

There isn't too many games on the near horizon I'm dying to play so I might actually buy it. I'd probably save money paying a $15 fee rather than buying full retail games at the rate I've been going lately.

Drool on
  • Options
    hazywaterhazywater Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Candymancers are going quite strong actually. If you want to play order, Badlands is where you need to be.

hazywater on
    Hrin - Eve Online
  • Options
    DetharinDetharin Registered User regular
    edited March 2009

Base yes, to be further modified by their -crit change vs enemy + crit chance.

Detharin on
  • Options
    zilozilo Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I may join you dudes in Candymancers for some goofing around sometime this weekend. For some reason I thought you were on Iron Rock and spent tonight figuring out that Witch Hunters are pretty cool, but on the wrong server.

zilo on
  • Options
    WolveSightWolveSight Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I think the Candymancers just broke the 140 character level again, so I'll have to cull out the inactives. Probably only be 20 or so. I did a re-hash of how we're situated with alts and all, and we're pretty well balanced. For some odd reason we're considered one of the top rvr guilds on Badlands, even though we generally don't run with the big groups or get into the bitch-fest that is the regional chats. While everyone else is talking, we're out killing people and enjoying it. :)

Drool, if you jump in pretty soon you'll probably be able to ride the leveling curve with everyone re-rolling with the slayers. It'll probably take some time to level up, but remember to enjoy it. Some of the quests, pqs, scenarios and such were just kickass awesome while leveling.

WolveSight on
    253J736.png
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Detharin wrote: »

Base yes, to be further modified by their -crit change vs enemy + crit chance.

I redid my renown today and I got 13% crit + flawless armor making it 3%. I didn't get to do any rvr to test it though, but I did have the most fucked up gunbad pug I've ever been in. This one tank took offense to not being main tank and started ping ponging around collecting monsters because he could "Take the most damage" and then abused the one healer I begged and scrimped to get in when he didn't get healed.

And then I had to go because my gf walked in the door with the flu I've had the last few days and practically collapsed so I had to play nurse. :( Poor thing.

Man I feel like I need a wash just thinking about that dungeon mess.

In other news, I got within 200 inf of my Quaysh Chalice for my Dok! One more bo and I can focus on t4. I've already respecced to DR, and man, it's a lot more fun than I thought!

Bonus points is my sac spells still do tons because I'm still wearing the strength gear I had, and I can keep up a warband effortlessly with the DR points, so I haven't bothered changing it around too much.

I set up the guy to be well rounded in the first place, seems to still work with DR. I don't really think Dok's should min max for one thing just because they take a particular tree. I was kicking ass still using my heals and wearing some willpower gear/tactics on my sac dok, and I'm still kicking ass with DR and some strength gear. *shrug*

Morninglord on
  • Options
    DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2009
    hey, at least you took care of your lady when she wasn't feeling well :)

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Are there any decent WAR-dedicated fora where one could read up the current ramblings about class builds? This place is great and all, but there aren't really like a dozen rank 40 WLs who've tried multiple gear variants over the months and figured out what difference different stat focuses make in that level range, at what point dropping strength for toughness/wounds makes you less survivable simply because you don't kill stuff fast enough, etc.

Glal on
  • Options
    darkmayodarkmayo Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    PM me for free trials , have 5 to give away and I think you should play destruction on Phoenix Throne :P

darkmayo on
    Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • Options
    Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Arkady wrote: »
    So I've got a couple friends starting this game, one of em is going choppa and the other is doing shaman. Naturally, I am inclined to pick up tanking, but I can't decide for shit.

Black orc

Pro's: ORKZ IZ BEST.

Con's: Not a fan of the combo system. I like being able to use abilities when I need them. Are situational things like silences and stuns, the kind of thing I'd want to use at precise moments tied to building up to da best plan or are they generally free of the system?

Chosen

Pro's: Looks totally fucking badass.

Con's: Twisting is shit. I wasn't a fan of it in EQ and I doubt I will be now. Are the auras at least off the gcd? I heard something about them being usable any time between attack animations?

Blackguard

Pro's: Hate is an easy and straightforward mechanic and I've seen crazy fucking blackuards top the damage charts with their nutbar AE attacks. This probably makes it sound like I care about my damage, but I don't. It was just something I've noticed and that seems like a perk to me.

Con's: Epic blackguard looks stupid as fuck.

Also, what's up with tanking? There was some rumbling that generating threat is broken?

For Destruction Tanking it goes Chosen>>Black Orc>>BlackGuard

1) Chosen: Suppression (+25% parry), Crippling Strikes tactic (-25% damage on target after crit for 10s), Oppression (increase armor, -15% damage taken for 10s/20s cd), Mixed Defenses Tactic (+25% parry after block), Flawless Armor tactic (-10% chance to be crit)

2) Black Orc: Tuffer N Nails (increase armor), Savin me Hide (increase toughness), Ya Missed Me (-20% damage on target after block for 10s/20s cd), Da Greenest Bellow (25% chance to proc armor or resist when hit), Good Wif Shield tactic (+10% block), I'm Da Biggest tactic (+160 wounds)

3) Black Guard: Terrifying Foe tactic (increase toughness by 15/30/45% based on hatred), Force of Fury (increase armor, and reduce chance to be crit by 15/30/45% based on hate, 10s/20s cd), Anger Drives Me tactic (+3-30% parry based on hate), Crush The Weak (reduce targets crit chance by 5/10/15% based on hate), Dark Blessing tactic (incoming heals are 10% more effective), Elite Training (parry 4 attacks for the next 10s/30s cd)

Gnome-Interruptus on
    steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
  • Options
    Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    manji wrote: »
    for things to do with a blackguard right now, snb aoe spam into the slayer throng with a couple of other tanks to get their attention, and then gratuitous use of hold the line whilst your rdps burn them down is gonna be the way to go. just pray someone bothered to roll a healer.

Hold the Line is useless when facing off with a bunch of Slayers / Choppas.
    Hold the Line is for Dodge&Disrupt. Neither of which will let you avoid melee attacks.

HtL is for leading the charge to reach the BW/SW/Engineers. Once you have reached melee range, HtL is not a skill you should be using.

Gnome-Interruptus on
    steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
  • Options
    MorskittarMorskittar Lord Warlock Engineer SeattleRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    zilo wrote: »
    Septus wrote: »

I'm waitin' for Choppas to open up to the masses since that's what I wanted my Blorc to be from the beginning.

What's up with the server? Did the old Destro guild just up and die?

We're back to status quo on Iron Rock. Dark Crag didn't have enough interest to get more than three or four on at any time, Iron Rock (with a bit of random help) is up and running.

That said, we're back to where we were before; scattered across time zones and tiers, so there aren't any events going on. We're shopping for a new alliance too, which may help for those interested in organized, regular stuff.

Morskittar on
    snm_sig.jpg
  • Options
    meekermeeker Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    With my DoK hot on the heels of RR30, I wanted to find out what keep skill he gets. Unfortunately I have not had good luck finding a complete list of the skills granted. Am I right in thinking that there is another skill granted at RR45?

meeker on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    If the Iron Rock guild doesn't have a consistent population playing across the tiers, does the Order guild have that?

Septus on
This discussion has been closed.