Options

[WAR] It was the best of times- It was the WAAAAGH of times. <<Closed>>

• Options
    Mnemon-CorbantisMnemon-Corbantis Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Avynte wrote: »
    The tank RR45 skill is bolster - which heals 5 percent back to a doors damage on a 3 minute cooldown.

That seems a bit more useful.

It's pretty funny during fortress fights if the defenders have a bunch of high RR tanks and the attackers don't assign enough RDPS on the door. You'll see all of them dealing damage and the door just keeps repairing and repairing.

btw i think its bulwark not bolster. wrong misc. b word lol.

its a great tool for foiling the guys who think they'll be cute and knock a door down to 10 percent so they can come back later. A few times I've repaired a low door on a keep every time I passed it while pvping, and after encouraging others to do it as well, brought a door from 10 back to 100 over the course of like an hour.

Destro were surprised a couple of hours later to come back to a fully restored door and at that point just fucked off to another zone.

Mnemon-Corbantis on
    logo.png
    Empire - Veela Server
  • Options
    MorskittarMorskittar Lord Warlock Engineer SeattleRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Avynte wrote: »
    The tank RR45 skill is bolster - which heals 5 percent back to a doors damage on a 3 minute cooldown.

That seems a bit more useful.

It's pretty funny during fortress fights if the defenders have a bunch of high RR tanks and the attackers don't assign enough RDPS on the door. You'll see all of them dealing damage and the door just keeps repairing and repairing.

btw i think its bulwark not bolster. wrong misc. b word lol.

its a great tool for foiling the guys who think they'll be cute and knock a door down to 10 percent so they can come back later. A few times I've repaired a low door on a keep every time I passed it while pvping, and after encouraging others to do it as well, brought a door from 10 back to 100 over the course of like an hour.

Destro were surprised a couple of hours later to come back to a fully restored door and at that point just fucked off to another zone.

I've never seen anyone do that. I thnk most tanks have written off and ignored the skill.

Morskittar on
    snm_sig.jpg
  • Options
    Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Alright, so I've been recruited and I'm pretty much sold on the game. Thing is, when I go to the account page to upgrade it, I don't the option to do it anywhere. There's activate key, change billing information, and that's pretty much it. Damn you Mythic, let me give you my money!

also I'm on IR right now, rockin' it as a chosen (though one stuck at level 10).

Indie Winter on
    wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    zenpotatozenpotato Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I went and resubbed.

Aside from a pretty great WoW expansion, the thing that didn't grab me about WAR was the community. I enjoyed TSM throughout the beta, but come launch, all of a sudden it was hundreds of people I didn't know and who didn't know me. Compared to playing WoW with 10 or 12 guys from work who I saw all the time, it just couldn't compete.

I definitely miss the RvR though, so I'm going to give it another shot. I was hoping there'd be a smaller, more close knit group around. I know it doesn't happen over night, but after the years of beta-wait, I was really surprised how TSM felt like a bunch of strangers.

Anyways, time to either dust off my zealot, or give something else a try. I'm trying to peer pressure some work folks into a trial. WAR is the kind of game that really shines with a small, regular group of people to play with.

Soloing as a pure healer class probably wasn't the smartest thing to do either. I may end up just going my own way and doing a WP, since I enjoyed that playstyle a lot at one point. Time to read up on the state of the game and figure out what kind of niche would be the most enjoyable to me I guess.

zenpotato on
  • Options
    eelektrikeelektrik Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    zenpotato wrote: »
    I went and resubbed.

Aside from a pretty great WoW expansion, the thing that didn't grab me about WAR was the community. I enjoyed TSM throughout the beta, but come launch, all of a sudden it was hundreds of people I didn't know and who didn't know me. Compared to playing WoW with 10 or 12 guys from work who I saw all the time, it just couldn't compete.

I definitely miss the RvR though, so I'm going to give it another shot. I was hoping there'd be a smaller, more close knit group around. I know it doesn't happen over night, but after the years of beta-wait, I was really surprised how TSM felt like a bunch of strangers.

Anyways, time to either dust off my zealot, or give something else a try. I'm trying to peer pressure some work folks into a trial. WAR is the kind of game that really shines with a small, regular group of people to play with.

Soloing as a pure healer class probably wasn't the smartest thing to do either. I may end up just going my own way and doing a WP, since I enjoyed that playstyle a lot at one point. Time to read up on the state of the game and figure out what kind of niche would be the most enjoyable to me I guess.

You should come play with the Candymancers on Badlands. We aren't as big as The Six Mouths were at the start, but we are bigger than TSM is at this point.

eelektrik on
    (She/Her)
  • Options
    OatsOats Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    More organized too.

Oats on
  • Options
    Hiryu02Hiryu02 Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Hey Zen good to see you again. TSM right now seems to be split: Morsk and some others are on Iron Rock, while Xzean and a lot of guys are on Volkmar. I honestly don't know what happened. I transferred my toons to IR, since it was the "official" new TSM server, so I don't know what's up on Volkmar. I guess there was some miscommunication regarding that.

I didn't even know about the Volkmar TSM til I randomly looked up TSM on the realmwar page. :/

Hiryu02 on
    Sev: Your gameplay is the most heavily yomi based around. Usually you look for characters that allow you to force guessing situations for big dmg. Even if the guess is mathematically nowhere near in your favor lol. You're happiest when you have either a 50/50, 33/33/33 or even a 75/25 situation to go crazy with. And you will take big risks to force those situations to come up.
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    No miscommunication... more lack of. TSM at launch was just too big and without any central focus to have a shot at staying together. Most of the original guild was gone within a month or so of launch, as we had a few dozen *rabid* beta testers that burnt out quick (especially considering the launch performance issues). Zen hit the nail on the head - a huge miscalculation on my part for how we recruited (or didn't. "All PAers freely welcome" didn't work so well).

Personally, I prefer where it is now. I actually recognize people who are on and we're not too far from having a regular T4 crew. A good reset, though it would be nice to bring a few back into the fold who strayed.

Morskittar on
    snm_sig.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    My toon was automagically transferred to Volkmar, while my fledgling Order alts where transferred to Iron Rock from the Candymancer's original server. I guess I'll have to sort it out later.

I think I'm going to just focus on finding a class I really like. I loved the Archmage in beta, and even though I went Zealot, I always tried to replicate that playstyle (much to my frustration). Aside from hating elves, I wonder if I should go back that way. And like I mentioned, the WP was always fun.

The biggest thing I think is to find people to play with. Aside from a few memorable sessions with TSM folks (2manning a PQ with Ash at one point was awesome, as was steamrolling T2 PQs with a full raid) I never really hooked up with TSM folks to play.

It's a real bummer to me, because I think I would really really enjoy this game if I could just find the right crowd to play with.

zenpotato on
  • Options
    SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    But...the newbies have no one to play with at the lower levels. Abloo.

Septus on
    PSN: Kurahoshi1
  • Options
    OatsOats Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    They have choppas to play with.

Choppas and Slayers as far as the eye can see.

Oats on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Yeah Zen, there were a few good points, but even in beta, it was a group united by interest in the game rather than any *actual* shared play styles, times, or personalities. I'd always played with the idea of trying to split into Roleplay, West/East, Hardcore, or other divisions (kind of the thought with the DC thing, but again, Open RvR != people on at the same time or leveling at the same speed).

Morskittar on
    snm_sig.jpg
  • Options
    vonPoonBurGervonPoonBurGer Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Alright, so I've been recruited and I'm pretty much sold on the game. Thing is, when I go to the account page to upgrade it, I don't the option to do it anywhere. There's activate key, change billing information, and that's pretty much it. Damn you Mythic, let me give you my money!
    I'm pretty sure Activate Key is what you're looking for. You need to give it a CD key from a full copy of the game to upgrade from trial to full. You can buy it online from the EA store if you'd rather avoid going to a brick 'n mortar store. It's on sale right now too, $20 off currently.

vonPoonBurGer on
    Xbox Live:vonPoon | PSN: vonPoon | Steam: vonPoonBurGer
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Yeah, I was quickly outlevelled by the play all day crowd and then never found enough people for my log in at 9EST and want to kick some ass style of play. I'm sure it didn't help that I picked the absolute worst soloing class around, but still. I was hoping to get more out of it.

Would you say the Dark Crag or Iron Rock is the better place to be? I've got no qualms about ORVR; I just want a semi-regular group of people to get to know and play with.

zenpotato on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Morsk, I'm not talking about the post launch TSM, I was referring to REM TSM, shortly before the server transfer was offered off REM. Just clarifying.

Hiryu02 on
    Sev: Your gameplay is the most heavily yomi based around. Usually you look for characters that allow you to force guessing situations for big dmg. Even if the guess is mathematically nowhere near in your favor lol. You're happiest when you have either a 50/50, 33/33/33 or even a 75/25 situation to go crazy with. And you will take big risks to force those situations to come up.
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Yeah, I was quickly outlevelled by the play all day crowd and then never found enough people for my log in at 9EST and want to kick some ass style of play. I'm sure it didn't help that I picked the absolute worst soloing class around, but still. I was hoping to get more out of it.

Would you say the Dark Crag or Iron Rock is the better place to be? I've got no qualms about ORVR; I just want a semi-regular group of people to get to know and play with.

DC is pretty much stillborn, as far as PAers go. I'll be sticking with my 7:00 PST Sunday and random other days on Iron Rock, but I don't envision a regular full group then for some time. We have at least two that can commit to that after school is done.

Both DC and IR are active.

I can't speak to the Candymancers, but they've been way more coherent from the start.

Most everyone still in the Mouths on Iron Rock are more casual; the more hardcore people are in other guilds on IR or Volkmar.

Morskittar on
    snm_sig.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    I'm not particularly picky about being hardcore; I just want to have some fun. I'll give IR a try and see if I can find some people to play with there. Judging from the Realm War site, TSM there has a serious lack of M/RDPS and Dark Elves (for those interested in checking out IR).

I'll probably give both TSM and Candymancers some playtime over the next couple of weeks and see if either one clicks this time around.

zenpotato on
  • Options
    TetraRayTetraRay Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Morskittar wrote: »

DC is pretty much stillborn, as far as PAers go. I'll be sticking with my 7:00 PST Sunday and random other days on Iron Rock, but I don't envision a regular full group then for some time. We have at least two that can commit to that after school is done.

Both DC and IR are active.

I can't speak to the Candymancers, but they've been way more coherent from the start.

Most everyone still in the Mouths on Iron Rock are more casual; the more hardcore people are in other guilds on IR or Volkmar.

Candymancers just got lucky from the get go in that most who played had similar play styles. There were a couple people in the guild who did the mad dash to 40 but they quickly left for greener lands, which left the majority of the guild as a more casual feel that seemed to level at about the same speed.

And some how this has let us become successful. We have a group now who can clear LV (even when they take a gimp White Lion with em). East/West coast groups clearing the crypts with no problems, and some how we end up considered as a big factor in RvR still.

I give credit to wolvesight who from the beginning tried his best to make sure everyone knew they were invited to whatever cookie jar the candymancers were currently trying to steal. But it wasn't just wolve who did it either, pretty much every person in t4 has this mindset as well. It makes being the guild leader cake.

TetraRay on
    Steam ID: TetraRay
  • Options
    DroolDrool Science! AustinRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Wait this game has like dungeons and stuff? I figured it was all just RvR once you hit max level.

Drool on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    What's the class balance for mains in the Candymancers like? Or on Badlands in general? Is there a WAR census site?

Edit: Answered my own question. Warheap.com seems pretty decent for stats.

zenpotato on
  • Options
    zilozilo Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Septus wrote: »

You can play with me, Septus.

You can play with me all you want.

zilo on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    The Choppa and Slayer open up next week?

zenpotato on
  • Options
    DetharinDetharin Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I played a witchhunter in beta, so figured id give one a shot with everyone leveling lowbies. Do the Candymancers still have any kind of no alt policy?

Detharin on
  • Options
    TetraRayTetraRay Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Drool wrote: »
    Wait this game has like dungeons and stuff? I figured it was all just RvR once you hit max level.

They have a total of 2-4 depending on how you want to look at it. Their ward system some what requires you to run them a bit and many players complain about the fact it is bullshit and needs a complete revamp away from the WoW clone that it is. Not that we define ourselves as a "raiding guild".

What's the class balance for mains in the Candymancers like? Or on Badlands in general? Is there a WAR census site?

Edit: Answered my own question. Warheap.com seems pretty decent for stats.

Candymancers has a healthy mix atm with lots of level 40 alts, we need warm bodies more then anything :winky: Badlands needs more tanks/healers

TetraRay on
    Steam ID: TetraRay
  • Options
    edited March 2009

Yes, general release. So expect another wave of T1 action.

Hiryu02 on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Drool wrote: »

Theres a few, and another being added in June that is unlocked through RvR.

eelektrik on
    (She/Her)
  • Options
    skippymchaggisskippymchaggis Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    i think the general consensus if you want to play order with the 'Mancer's, is "run what ya brung."

we want you to enjoy what you're doing, and have fun. we have people in all the tiers, and have all the classes represented. we can get you the right information, support, and in some cases, gear (boots and belts, anyone?) to have fun. if you're nice, we've even been known to drag unwarded dead-weight through dungeons to get em geared up. (and i mean dead-weight in the nicest way. no wards means you're a healing liability and a dps loss, but we can still get things done. cause that's how we roll.)

speaking as one of the T4 healers, i would suggest if you like healers to feel free to grind one up. order is way behind the healer curve. i don't mean that as doom and gloom, but just as fact. from our experience, you can do a lot more with more healers than less, as well.

my first trip through T4 was with "team brick" (a WP, 2 RP's, an IB, a BW, and an AM) and we did a whole lot more than a lot of people thought we could get away with. we first learned to clear all the city dungeons with one tank, and one dps. now we have more t4 people and we have alts to put together any sort of group composition, but i still feel that more healers equals more possibilities. you just have to like green numbers more than tan.

funny thing about those green numbers though...they make the purple numbers fountain in rvr...

skippymchaggis on
  • Options
    SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    zilo wrote: »
    Septus wrote: »

You can play with me, Septus.

You can play with me all you want.

You and what army?

But seriously, an army would be cool.

I'm basically looking to do ORvR, and scenarios, the vast majority of the time, and basically never group with random dudes. That's a hard feat to pull off.

Septus on
    PSN: Kurahoshi1
  • Options
    zilozilo Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Anyone play a Knob? How're they? Twisty like Chosen?

edit to septus: yeah, you and I are in the same boat. I love love LOVE the RvR. Unfortunately I'm Pacific time and I'm rarely home before 9pm, so that kind of puts a damper on my weeknight play. I think I'm gonna roll with the 'mancers and try to get a bit of a head start over the weekend so I don't get left too far in the dust by the mass of slayers.

zilo on
  • Options
    KainyKainy Pimpin' and righteous Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    What classes are going to be the counter to Slayers/Choppas?

Ranged DPS?

I think it'd be an absolute blast to make a bunch of their counter classes and level up with them, giving them a hard time :twisted:

Kainy on
    IcyLiquid wrote: »
    There's anti-fuckery code in there now :) Sorry :)
  • Options
    DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2009
    Hiryu02 wrote: »

I actually think they're won't be nearly as many new slayers/choppas next week simply because most of those who were most interested did the live event (which was hella easy)

also, I just want to say that Wilted Wild Weeds fucking piss me right off!
    gah, so many times I've had a batch of four level 200 seeds end up in two or even three wild weeds

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Kainy wrote: »
    What classes are going to be the counter to Slayers/Choppas?

Ranged DPS?

I think it'd be an absolute blast to make a bunch of their counter classes and level up with them, giving them a hard time :twisted:

Tanks with s/b. And ranged dps as well. They are real squishy, so they drop fast. The main thing to remember is that when they put out the most damage is when they are most vulnerable. They will drop you fast if given the chance, though.

Hiryu02 on
  • Options
    skippymchaggisskippymchaggis Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Druhim wrote: »

I actually think they're won't be nearly as many new slayers/choppas next week simply because most of those who were most interested did the live event (which was hella easy)

gah, so many times I've had a batch of four level 200 seeds end up in two or even three wild weeds

i haven't done any serious study, but haven't seen that dirt, water, and nutrients actually help the process, either. can anyone contradict me?

skippymchaggis on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    zilo wrote: »
    Anyone play a Knob? How're they? Twisty like Chosen?

edit to septus: yeah, you and I are in the same boat. I love love LOVE the RvR. Unfortunately I'm Pacific time and I'm rarely home before 9pm, so that kind of puts a damper on my weeknight play. I think I'm gonna roll with the 'mancers and try to get a bit of a head start over the weekend so I don't get left too far in the dust by the mass of slayers.

Knights are probably the least played class in the Candymancers right now, I don't play one myself so I don't know why exactly other than not being available at launch. I know I didn't make one because I already had a level 40 tank on Order and didn't feel like making another.

But as far as late night pacific goes, we have a group consistently doing dungeon runs at around 10:30-11:30pm, usually 3-4 regulars and then we pick up a couple random people to fill out the group and its been going well(Other than gear for my classes never dropping). Would definitely like to see more late night Pacific players though, as the less puggies we need to bring the better.

eelektrik on
    (She/Her)
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Druhim wrote: »

i haven't done any serious study, but haven't seen that dirt, water, and nutrients actually help the process, either. can anyone contradict me?
    oh they definitely help
    you need to get the crafting tooltip addon
    it tells you exactly what each crafting mat adds to a potion/plant/talisman
    for instance, one may increase the crit chance by 4%
    or for potions, it may show that it increases the stability by +9
    so you probably haven't noticed because you had no idea of how exactly a certain mat affected the outcome

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Have professions gotten any more interesting? I mostly remember them as unmemorable. :)

I think I'm going to start out with a new WP on Badlands tonight, and then maybe a Magus on Iron Rock this weekend. I like the vibe I'm getting from the Badlands forums.

zenpotato on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Have professions gotten any more interesting? I mostly remember them as unmemorable. :)

I think I'm going to start out with a new WP on Badlands tonight, and then maybe a Magus on Iron Rock this weekend. I like the vibe I'm getting from the Badlands forums.

They've gotten a lot better. Much more streamlined, and each production craft now has a gathering skill assigned to it, making it so that you don't need 2 characters and three professions to get the most out of your crafting.

Hiryu02 on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    I won't go into how exactly they changed gathering and crafting professions in 1.2, but in general they made the gathering professions more focused so that they pretty much support just one crafting profession
    and some crafting items are now optional instead of necessary, so it makes leveling them easier

but really if you want to get into crafting at all, you must get the crafting tooltip addon so you can actually see exactly what each mat contributes instead of just guessing

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    INeedNoSaltINeedNoSalt with blood on my teeth Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    So is levelling a lot less boring these days than it was at launch?

I quit because I hated spending hours at a time levelling my shaman (and he was only level 14!), but I got an email from the WAR folks today asking me to resubscribe

INeedNoSalt on
  • Options
    Niceguy MyeyeNiceguy Myeye Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Yeah, I was quickly outlevelled by the play all day crowd and then never found enough people for my log in at 9EST

I work until 9 pm EST and am a Candymancer! I finally reached level 40 about a month ago. There's room for you on the badlands.

Niceguy Myeye on
This discussion has been closed.