Options

[WAR] It was the best of times- It was the WAAAAGH of times. <<Closed>>

• Options
    vonPoonBurGervonPoonBurGer Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    zilo wrote: »
    Anyone play a Knob? How're they? Twisty like Chosen?
    I'm playing a 29 Knob currently. Yes, they are twisty if you want 'em to be. They're pretty much like Chosen but with a few weird differences. From a damage perspective, the Knob's 13-point ability in their DPS tree is utter crap compared to what Chosen get, and the Knob's Wounds debuff requires a great weapon whereas the Chosen version doesn't. Meanwhile, the latest patch has given a lot of good stuff to the Chosen that used to be unique to the Knight (e.g. a tactic to make their knockback longer and have a shorter cooldown). The Knight has a few benefits over the Chosen though, so I think it balances out. For example, the buffing effect of Knight auras extends to groupmates within 150 feet whereas Chosen auras only buff groupmates within 30 feet. Or at least that's how the tooltips read, I haven't tested it extensively.

I'm having fun with my Knight, at least. I play him mostly for group support with a little bit of DPS so I'm not a complete wet noodle when beating on a squishy. I'm currently specced 11 points in Glory for the cone knockdown and Focused Mending tactic. I've got my three extra points in Conquest right now, and once I ding 30 I'll pick up the Slice Through tactic which makes my snare a three-target AoE (very handy, often overlooked, and something unique to the Knight I think).

The usual group I run with is myself, a Warrior Priest, a Bright Wizard specced for Reign of Fire and an Engineer specced Grenadier. I try to focus on protecting my squishies from melee DPS, or on offense I try to knock down and disrupt enemy healers so the BW/Engie combined AoE can drop people. At the same time, I'm buffing my group's resists by ~270 and debuffing enemy resists by the same amount (which the casters love), and increasing the Warrior Priest's healing by 15% (I usually twist Gather Your Resolve and Stay Focused in RvR). I don't kill much on my own, but I'm pretty sure I'm making a significant contribution.

One note on twisting. I thought I would hate it. When I rolled the toon, I said "I'm only going to roll this toon to level up with friends, then I'm switching to my 30 IB". Then I downloaded Twister and played around with it, and now I'm fine with twisting two auras in RvR, or three in PvE. And given that my IB is knockback-heavy and my Bright Wizard friend hates it when knockbacks punt enemy targets out of his circle of fiery doom, I think I'll stick with the Knight.

vonPoonBurGer on
    Xbox Live:vonPoon | PSN: vonPoon | Steam: vonPoonBurGer
  • Options
    DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2009
    So is levelling a lot less boring these days than it was at launch?

I quit because I hated spending hours at a time levelling my shaman (and he was only level 14!), but I got an email from the WAR folks today asking me to resubscribe
    on the one hand, I think they've improved the game a lot
    however, it sounds like you just don't enjoy the core gameplay and probably wouldn't find it any more enjoyable if you considered it a grind before

you could always do a 10 day trial

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    Hiryu02Hiryu02 Registered User regular
    edited March 2009

I quit because I hated spending hours at a time levelling my shaman (and he was only level 14!), but I got an email from the WAR folks today asking me to resubscribe

Sounds like you played before the experience buffs.

They've buffed exp gain from around rank 12-32. Assuming you do quests in your proper level range, and switch pairings in order to not run out of quests, you should be fine. If you do scenarios a lot while questing that's a big boost to your exp gain as well. I think as it stands now it takes roughly the same amount of time to hit 40 that it takes to hit 60 in WoW. Perhaps a bit less.

Hiryu02 on
    Sev: Your gameplay is the most heavily yomi based around. Usually you look for characters that allow you to force guessing situations for big dmg. Even if the guess is mathematically nowhere near in your favor lol. You're happiest when you have either a 50/50, 33/33/33 or even a 75/25 situation to go crazy with. And you will take big risks to force those situations to come up.
  • Options
    SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Druhim wrote: »

on the one hand, I think they've improved the game a lot
    however, it sounds like you just don't enjoy the core gameplay and probably wouldn't find it any more enjoyable if you considered it a grind before

you could always do a 10 day trial

My problem is that I think I have a generic aversion to pve in this game, and pvp if played with stupid people. The game is pretty darn fun when played with PAers.

Septus on
    PSN: Kurahoshi1
  • Options
    INeedNoSaltINeedNoSalt with blood on my teeth Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Hiryu02 wrote: »

They've buffed exp gain from around rank 12-32. Assuming you do quests in your proper level range, and switch pairings in order to not run out of quests, you should be fine. If you do scenarios a lot while questing that's a big boost to your exp gain as well. I think as it stands now it takes roughly the same amount of time to hit 40 that it takes to hit 60 in WoW. Perhaps a bit less.

Probably. I found myself spending several days of grinding quests + doing scenarios to get from like 12 to 13 and 13 to 14

and then i quit because I wasn't going to spend months of playing to keep up with the scenario queues >>

Edit: the problem wasn't that i wasn't having fun with the fun parts (pvp, mostly), it's that the amount of solo grinding really slowly far outweighed doing scenarios, world pvp, or the big pve event things.

INeedNoSalt on
  • Options
    SaammielSaammiel Registered User regular
    edited March 2009

TBH the greatest thing they did for sub-32 levelling was adding in ORvR rewards. You can just do ORvR and progress on a populated server. It will be slower than PvE grinding, but a lot more fun.

Saammiel on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Septus wrote: »
    My problem is that I think I have a generic aversion to pve in this game, and pvp if played with stupid people. The game is pretty darn fun when played with PAers.
    The PvE in this game is the same as it ever was, it's just a lot easier now to never do PvE unless you really want to (for an item reward, for example).

As for avoiding stupids in PvP, the key is to have a good group to run with. I run with a group of four other guys, we'll start an open warband and do what we want to do, and usually pull in plenty of random help. If anybody doesn't like what we choose to do, they can go start their own crew. If there's an existing warband pointlessly humping an overly well-defended keep, we'll form our own group and go take an objective or move to a different pairing. You just need to have that group of like-minded folk who'll say "nuts to these chuckleheads, let's go do our own thing". If you rerolled now on a PA server, with all the people coming back for Slayers and Choppas, I think you'd make out Ok.

vonPoonBurGer on
  • Options
    edited March 2009

Probably. I found myself spending several days of grinding quests + doing scenarios to get from like 12 to 13 and 13 to 14

and then i quit because I wasn't going to spend months of playing to keep up with the scenario queues >>

Edit: the problem wasn't that i wasn't having fun with the fun parts (pvp, mostly), it's that the amount of solo grinding really slowly far outweighed doing scenarios, world pvp, or the big pve event things.

Yeah, it's nothing like that now. On my last alt, I hit 20 in less than three weeks of play. Only playing 1-2 hours a day. Not every day either. If you got down to it, you can probably hit Rank 12 in less than three days. And hit 20-21 perhaps a week later. Getting to 30/32 should take no more than a month of consistent play.

Hiryu02 on
    Sev: Your gameplay is the most heavily yomi based around. Usually you look for characters that allow you to force guessing situations for big dmg. Even if the guess is mathematically nowhere near in your favor lol. You're happiest when you have either a 50/50, 33/33/33 or even a 75/25 situation to go crazy with. And you will take big risks to force those situations to come up.
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Open RvR influence rewards really have fixed this. I'm on Ostermark, which is one of the lower-population servers out of the 18 they're sticking with, and it's rare to log on at peak times and not find a warband active in each tier. If there isn't an active warband, starting one up is usually pretty easy. You get a tank, a healer, and a DPS class and you go flip one BO, and allies (and enemies!) tend to start coming out of the woodwork pretty quick.

vonPoonBurGer on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    What day exactly do slayers/choppas open to everyone else?

Septus on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    What day exactly do slayers/choppas open to everyone else?

The 17th. Should be Tuesday.

Hiryu02 on
  • Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    So has the Black Guard gone in to general release yet? No stupid quest to do? Was thinking about re-subbing for some PVP action in my spare time, and wanted to go Black Guard.

GnomeTank on
    Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    zilozilo Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I'm playing a 29 Knob currently. Yes, they are twisty if you want 'em to be. They're pretty much like Chosen but with a few weird differences. From a damage perspective, the Knob's 13-point ability in their DPS tree is utter crap compared to what Chosen get, and the Knob's Wounds debuff requires a great weapon whereas the Chosen version doesn't. Meanwhile, the latest patch has given a lot of good stuff to the Chosen that used to be unique to the Knight (e.g. a tactic to make their knockback longer and have a shorter cooldown). The Knight has a few benefits over the Chosen though, so I think it balances out. For example, the buffing effect of Knight auras extends to groupmates within 150 feet whereas Chosen auras only buff groupmates within 30 feet. Or at least that's how the tooltips read, I haven't tested it extensively.

I'm having fun with my Knight, at least. I play him mostly for group support with a little bit of DPS so I'm not a complete wet noodle when beating on a squishy. I'm currently specced 11 points in Glory for the cone knockdown and Focused Mending tactic. I've got my three extra points in Conquest right now, and once I ding 30 I'll pick up the Slice Through tactic which makes my snare a three-target AoE (very handy, often overlooked, and something unique to the Knight I think).

The usual group I run with is myself, a Warrior Priest, a Bright Wizard specced for Reign of Fire and an Engineer specced Grenadier. I try to focus on protecting my squishies from melee DPS, or on offense I try to knock down and disrupt enemy healers so the BW/Engie combined AoE can drop people. At the same time, I'm buffing my group's resists by ~270 and debuffing enemy resists by the same amount (which the casters love), and increasing the Warrior Priest's healing by 15% (I usually twist Gather Your Resolve and Stay Focused in RvR). I don't kill much on my own, but I'm pretty sure I'm making a significant contribution.

One note on twisting. I thought I would hate it. When I rolled the toon, I said "I'm only going to roll this toon to level up with friends, then I'm switching to my 30 IB". Then I downloaded Twister and played around with it, and now I'm fine with twisting two auras in RvR, or three in PvE. And given that my IB is knockback-heavy and my Bright Wizard friend hates it when knockbacks punt enemy targets out of his circle of fiery doom, I think I'll stick with the Knight.

Thanks for the input. I played a Black Orc at launch and liked it a lot but the things I liked the most were tank-specific and not class-specific so I think I'll broaden my horizons a bit and give the Knight a try.

75% of what I base my class choices around is looks and the Knight looks the coolest of all the Order tanks, imo.
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    So has the Black Guard gone in to general release yet? No stupid quest to do? Was thinking about re-subbing for some PVP action in my spare time, and wanted to go Black Guard.

Yep, Black Guards are open to all. I played with one a bit, they're fun. Their class mechanic is kind of generic but that's not necessarily a bad thing.

zilo on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Yes, the BG has been generally available for a month or two. Only the Slayer and Choppa are currently limited, and that only until this coming Tuesday.

vonPoonBurGer on
  • Options
    edited March 2009

Yes, it has. I'm surprised, Gnome. I thought you were still playing quite recently on your BO.

Hiryu02 on
  • Options
    Lucky CynicLucky Cynic Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Yeah BGs and Knights of the Blazing Sun have been released for quite a while now. Did you need a reinvite for 10days so you can try em out?

Lucky Cynic on
  • Options
    chasehatesbearschasehatesbears Registered User regular
    edited March 2009

Yeah, you can just roll one out of the blue now.

I've been playing a BG to T3 now and it's a blast. Doesn't seem to be quite as tough as the other tanks, but it deals some great "AOE"* damage and has lovely anti-caster utility.

*Damage in an arc or cone of fire.

chasehatesbears on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    75% of what I base my class choices around is looks and the Knight looks the coolest of all the Order tanks, imo.
    Yeah, my Knight feels more badass than my IB ever did, but I think that's the pimp-helmet and the codpiece talkin'.

vonPoonBurGer on
  • Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009

Yes, it has. I'm surprised, Gnome. I thought you were still playing quite recently on your BO.

I don't have a Black Orc, I have a Disciple of Khaine. That was my highest level character (high 20's)

GnomeTank on
    Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    edited March 2009

I don't have a Black Orc, I have a Disciple of Khaine. That was my highest level character (high 20's)

Doh! I mistook you for someone else. I'm sorry for the confusion. In any case welcome back. BTW, DoKs/WPs are pretty badass now. Good ones are damn near unkillable when played smart.

Hiryu02 on
  • Options
    zenpotatozenpotato Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Is there a go-to site for reading up on class guides and theoryhammer? Something like Elitist Jerks, where I can read up on the what's what and parse through some math?

I know my way through T1-2, but other than a long stretch as a Zealot in beta, I didn't really get to know any of the other classes.

zenpotato on
  • Options
    tyrannustyrannus i am not fat Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    dammit. morninglord needs to log on so he can answer all my questions about chosen.

tyrannus on
  • Options
    DroolDrool Science! AustinRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    So can someone run down how the Warrior Priest turned out as far as mid-late game stuff? During the beta I enjoyed mine because he could take a beating and dish out a little hurt as well, all while healing my friends.

I liked that they weren't a back line caster, but they weren't constantly in the front line either. Is it still that way after you level for awhile or do you end up sitting in the back throwing heals and kneeling down to pray constantly? Like oh say a WoW Paladin.

Drool on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    As far as I've heard, at least until this latest patch, they remain very unkillable for basically the entire game. I think their healing abilities are pretty good but not great, but being very hard to kill seems like it's own separate value, as far as distraction factor.

And, I'm talking very hard to kill in terms of small skirmishes, like 1-3 people. I think even tanks now go down very quickly to focused assaults.

Septus on
  • Options
    zenpotatozenpotato Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    From the reading I've been doing this afternoon, it sounds like the way to be an unstoppable WP in RVR is to equip a book and stand back and throw heals.

I plan on smacking faces instead.

zenpotato on
  • Options
    DroolDrool Science! AustinRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Do the books still clip through your hands instead of actually looking like the dude is holding them? I thought that was so lazy and it bugged the hell out of me.

Luckily I liked my big damn hammer better anyway.

Drool on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    zenpotato wrote: »
    From the reading I've been doing this afternoon, it sounds like the way to be an unstoppable WP in RVR is to equip a book and stand back and throw heals.

Oh? I kept getting told(and my very limited low level experience kind of reflected this) that grace WPs could be very hard to kill, through melee-generated healing. So, wielding a big hammer in someone's face.

Septus on
  • Options
    tyrannustyrannus i am not fat Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    how are chosen in terms of tank survivability and just overall goodness

like, I would always roll with a shield, but auras are kinda a new thing to me.

tyrannus on
  • Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I do believe the Inevitable City is short for "Inevitable City of BOREDOM" if waiting outside in a fucking queue is any indication. Hour and counting.

Glal on
  • Options
    DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2009

Oh? I kept getting told(and my very limited low level experience kind of reflected this) that grace WPs could be very hard to kill, through melee-generated healing. So, wielding a big hammer in someone's face.
    yeah, doks and wps will do better one on one without their trinket out and using their respective melee heals to dam the target while healing them self

but if you're healing in a group or wb, then it often makes more sense to have your trinket out so you can keep your healing going without having to melee

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    Lucky CynicLucky Cynic Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    tyrannus wrote: »
    how are chosen in terms of tank survivability and just overall goodness

like, I would always roll with a shield, but auras are kinda a new thing to me.

Try and twist auras if possible. The new patch makes this a bit easier, and in RvR I would almost always recommend the Shield. It just adds so much to your survivability unless you are beating down a door or something. Then you can switch to 2h for added DPS.

Chosen survive pretty well, especially when you use the right auras. If you have a sword master beating on you, throw up the toughness aura and the strength, or even the 2second ability build up timer if you are specced into that one. If you are chasing down Bright Wizards though or there are some firing down on you, swapping to the resistance aura really does help cut back on how badly you are burned.

Lucky Cynic on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Druhim wrote: »

yeah, doks and wps will do better one on one without their trinket out and using their respective melee heals to dam the target while healing them self

but if you're healing in a group or wb, then it often makes more sense to have your trinket out so you can keep your healing going without having to melee

I used to team up with melee DoKs (as a Black Orc) and cause some havoc. We were a pretty sweet defensive team. Then again I never got to the end of T2 so maybe that changes, but there seems to be a niche for melee healers.

zilo on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Glal wrote: »
    I do believe the Inevitable City is short for "Inevitable City of BOREDOM" if waiting outside in a fucking queue is any indication. Hour and counting.

Shit, what server?

Hiryu02 on
  • Options
    ProfessorPolycarpProfessorPolycarp Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    eelektrik wrote: »

edit to septus: yeah, you and I are in the same boat. I love love LOVE the RvR. Unfortunately I'm Pacific time and I'm rarely home before 9pm, so that kind of puts a damper on my weeknight play. I think I'm gonna roll with the 'mancers and try to get a bit of a head start over the weekend so I don't get left too far in the dust by the mass of slayers.

Knights are probably the least played class in the Candymancers right now, I don't play one myself so I don't know why exactly other than not being available at launch. I know I didn't make one because I already had a level 40 tank on Order and didn't feel like making another.
    Personally I think the 'least played class' award for the Candymancers these days goes to Archmage. We've actually had a number of people try Knobs out, it's just that only Strangefish has made it past the mid 20s for whatever reason. Dahmoon still seems to be making progress though.

I like the Knob, now that twisting has no AP cost it should make levelling one easier. In 1.1 they tended to run out of gas a lot in PvE until the 31 tactic that put Perseverance on a shorter cooldown.

ProfessorPolycarp on
  • Options
    chasehatesbearschasehatesbears Registered User regular
    edited March 2009

What's the queue for? I don't know anything about city seiging.

chasehatesbears on
  • Options
    SaammielSaammiel Registered User regular
    edited March 2009

There was a bug with queues, may need to relog, since it looks like 1.2 didn't fix it.

Saammiel on
  • Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Shit, what server?
    Burlok, EU. I wonder if the recent merges of others servers into ours had anything to do with this.
    By the way, after getting into the queue, can one just fuck off and go questing in other zones? The queue doesn't appear to go away. Of course, you can't leave the queue either it seems. Also, any way to get the city siege queue status up after already being queued? Would be nice to know why it's not popping after joining also.

chasehatesbears: don't know much about them either, except I ran there, got queued up, then stood there for an hour killing random Destro players trying to enter the city through the doors, clueless as to what magic ritual I should be performing to get inside.

Glal on
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited March 2009

Chosen buffs are 150 feet.

edit: oh and to the other guy: knights are ponces chosen look awesome. They don't even look emo awesome, they're just straight out fucking awesome.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    I like the fact that knights look sort of fruity, with the feathers and stuff. They're sort of "yeah, I'm all dolled up. What of it? I'll cut you!" whereas Chosen are mostly "I'm so angry at my dad you guys, he never lets me do anything! I'll cut myself!"

zilo on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    I like the fact that knights look sort of fruity, with the feathers and stuff. They're sort of "yeah, I'm all dolled up. What of it? I'll cut you!" whereas Chosen are mostly "I'm so angry at my dad you guys, he never lets me do anything! I'll cut myself!"

I like the way you think.

Hiryu02 on
This discussion has been closed.