As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Pro Wrestling]ZZ TOP HOSTS RAW NEXT WEEK! Night of Champions July 26th!

• JustinSane07JustinSane07 Really, stupid? Brockton__BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2009
    Freddie Blassie was a bastard until 3 weeks before his death.

Bischoff: I've got a great idea, why don't you two meet me in side just as quick as you can.
    Blassie: What are you gonna do, hang yourself?

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x70m64_the-dudley-boyz-returns-to-raw_sport

"A living legend", huh JR? Good timing.

JustinSane07 on
    edited March 2009
    Fuck, I've lost like the last hour to DailyMotion now.

I can't believe in 2003 we lost Blassie, Stu Hart*, Crash Holly, Ms. Elizabeth, Hawk and Mr. Perfect.

* - In the video I watched, there's a picture of Stu and Bret with HBK. HBK is holding a signed picture of Stu. It's an amazing photo to me.

JustinSane07 on
  • KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Speaking of Brock, something that always stuck with me was the way he took a sick chair shot from Jeff after his debut.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ejpBMwSQxm8

That just makes me cringe.

Kyougu on
  • David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Way on the other end of the Lesnar scale, I just watched (woo, DailyMotion!) the Goldberg/Lesnar WM match. Talk about a crowd turning. If, two minutes into the match, Austin had just stunnered both and counted his own pin, he'd have been crowned King of WrestleMania in an impromptu ceremony.

David_T on
    euj90n71sojo.png
  • PunkBoyPunkBoy Thank you! And thank you again! Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Oh man, I forgot Crash Holly died. For some reason I also thought I heard Molly Holly died as well. Or did I just imagine that?

PunkBoy on
    Steam ID:
    steam_sig.png
    The Linecutters Podcast: Your weekly dose of nerd! Tune in for the live broadcast every Wednesday at 7 PM EST, only at www.non-productive.com!
  • MyNameIsWalrusMyNameIsWalrus Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Molly Holly is alive.

MyNameIsWalrus on
    edited March 2009
    Yeah, I have no idea why I thought I heard she was dead.

Watching through more Daily Motion videos, I'm sad I missed out on The Hurricane persona. He's pretty awesome.

PunkBoy on
    Steam ID:
    steam_sig.png
    The Linecutters Podcast: Your weekly dose of nerd! Tune in for the live broadcast every Wednesday at 7 PM EST, only at www.non-productive.com!
  • The JudgeThe Judge The Terwilliger CurvesRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Reznik wrote: »
    Oh god. The Catchphrase War promo. That's one of the Jericho's best, right up there with The Man of 1001 Holds.

I really prefer the Ayatollah of Rock n' Rollah Jericho over this current Jericho.

ARMBAR!

Whups. I said it wrong. Jericho's the master of 1004 holds.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x37gh6_chris-jerichos-1004-holds-funny_fun

I miss that one - it had such the supreme payoff. Jericho rags on Malenko for months while he's not on tv. And then the fun starts. This video does it nicely:

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2nph4_jericho-in-wcw-vol-4

IT"S DEAN MALENKO IN MOTHERFUCKING DEATH-TO-ANYTHING-THAT-MOVES MODE!!! The pop when he grabs a stunned Jericho wearing an epic 'Oh fuck me' face and stomps a hole through him was spectacular. Me and about eight people were marking like little girls.

The Judge on
    Last pint: Turmoil CDA / Barley Brown's - Untappd: TheJudge_PDX
  • SkittlebrauSkittlebrau Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    PunkBoy wrote: »

Watching through more Daily Motion videos, I'm sad I missed out on The Hurricane persona. He's pretty awesome.

Man, seeing quotes like that just bewilders me. I don't understand how someone who hasn't been watching wrestling long enough to have seen the Hurricane is even watching wrestling, since the product on TV now is so incredibly mediocre compared to that stuff.

Yeah, I watch wrestling nowadays, but it's mostly out of habit. Ten years ago, I watched it because it was exciting and fun. Fifteen years ago, I started watching it because WWF Superstars came on after my Saturday morning cartoons. But to see someone just getting into it now, it's like, why? What have the wrestling promotions fortunate enough to have national television exposure done recently to attract any new fans?

Skittlebrau on
    edited March 2009
    Wait wait wait... are we posting awesome Chris Jericho videos? How about the time he announced all the competitors for the Cruiserweight Battle Royal at Slamboree?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L4jhnFhp8DQ Jericho is great. Wacky Jericho was awesome, and I like new serious Jericho, too. The fact that he can get people to actually want to beat him up in real life is testament to his talent.

Skittlebrau on
  • redfield85redfield85 Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Kyougu wrote: »
    Speaking of Brock, something that always stuck with me was the way he took a sick chair shot from Jeff after his debut.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ejpBMwSQxm8

That just makes me cringe.

His face! Oh God, his face. Ouch.

redfield85 on
    bYf6vNQ.png
    Tumblr | Twitter | Twitch | Pinny Arcade Lanyard
    [3DS] 3394-3901-4002 | [Xbox/Steam] Redfield85
  • kdrudykdrudy Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Yea, I'd have to say sarcastic jackass Jericho is my favorite Jericho.

kdrudy on
    tvsfrank.jpg
    edited March 2009

Man, seeing quotes like that just bewilders me. I don't understand how someone who hasn't been watching wrestling long enough to have seen the Hurricane is even watching wrestling, since the product on TV now is so incredibly mediocre compared to that stuff.

Yeah, I watch wrestling nowadays, but it's mostly out of habit. Ten years ago, I watched it because it was exciting and fun. Fifteen years ago, I started watching it because WWF Superstars came on after my Saturday morning cartoons. But to see someone just getting into it now, it's like, why? What have the wrestling promotions fortunate enough to have national television exposure done recently to attract any new fans?

I haven't sat down and watched wrestling in years. The only time I actually saw The Hurricane was when he was still a heel. I think I stopped watching it regularly around there. This thread got me back onto a wrestling kick, and I just decided to browse Daily Motion and came across his matches.

PunkBoy on
    Steam ID:
    steam_sig.png
    edited March 2009

I haven't sat down and watched wrestling in years. The only time I actually saw The Hurricane was when he was still a heel. I think I stopped watching it regularly around there. This thread got me back onto a wrestling kick, and I just decided to browse Daily Motion and came across his matches.

The Hurricane was awesome. He had that goofy charisma that made you cheer for him, and his mini feud with The Rock was made of pure hilarity.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XAFAilMhQiA

EDIT: I miss The Rock..

Kyougu on
    edited March 2009
    Haha, that's amazing. I guess The Rock went back to semi-heel during that time?

PunkBoy on
    Steam ID:
    steam_sig.png
    edited March 2009
    Yeah, he came back as heel to feud against Austin leading up to Wrestlemania 19.

He also had the most awesome titantron video ever made.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8RDLXDNbuA

Kyougu on
    edited March 2009
    Just simmed a 8 man battle royal in Fire Pro. Austin, The Rock, Mankind, Psycho Sid, Kane, C.M. Punk, Christian, and Taz.

Final three were Kane, Punk, and Mankind. Mankind made Kane submit to the mandible claw. Punk hit the GTS. Mankind kicked out and they swapped a few moves. Punk hits another GTS. Mankind kicks out again. They swap a few more shots. Punk gets him up for a third GTS and criticals (aka KO) Mankind. Was a pretty good ending. I am pretty sure I have Punk's A.I. setting for heavy damage GTS at 8, so him hitting three toward the end like that so close together was pretty impressive.

When I edit my edit's logic, I make sure they have 2-3 ways to finish a match. I need to fix up a few of the finished edits though. I think the way I have some edit's logic makes matches go a little too long or just gives them a disadvantage since they won't be ending a match unless they hit their finisher.

redfield85 on
    bYf6vNQ.png
  • Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Rock the heel was the best because the audience didn't quiiiiiite know what to do with it.

edit: also, the People's Palm Pilot? fantastic

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • KurnDerakKurnDerak Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I think that segment with the rock and hurricane is great simply because The Rock did the almost the whole thing yet it didn't seem like it was almost entirely him. I mean, the hurricane had what, 8 sentences in like 4 or 5 minutes? I miss both the Rock and Hurricane. I think Helms is on SmackDown, but they haven't done anything with him since he came back from his injury, really.

Also, there is not enough working the crowd from backstage in wrestling now.

KurnDerak on
    edited March 2009
    I don't understand why Helms felt the need to get "HELMS" tattooed in huge letters across his back. Is it in case he's ever found wandering around without ID?

Also, I like that when Shane Helms came to the WWE from WCW, he had to change his name to Gregory Helms, because WWE didn't think we were smart enough to differentiate him from Shane McMahon. And Steve Regal had to change his name to William Regal because we'd confuse him for Steve Austin.

Skittlebrau on
    edited March 2009
    Same thing happened to Mr. Kennedy, since I believe his real name is Kennedy Anderson. They didn't want him unjustly associated with the Anderson wrestling family which he isn't a part of so they just named him Kennedy Kennedy, and toyed with him maybe being Vince's iligitimate son during that whole stupid storyline.

Although, sitting there for around 10 minutes thinking Triple H was his iligitimate son was funny, mainly because of the fact that he is married to Stephanie.

KurnDerak on
    edited March 2009
    When I was thinking of WWE name changes, I got to thinking about how Steve Regal had to change his name because it was too close to Steve Austin, but when they brought in "Dr. Death" Steve Williams, which is Steve Austin's real name, he didn't have to change.

Then that made me think of heel Jim Ross, who managed Dr. Death at the time, and that was funny. Heel JR was pure Wrestlecrap.

Skittlebrau on
    edited March 2009
    KurnDerak wrote: »
    Same thing happened to Mr. Kennedy, since I believe his real name is Kennedy Anderson. They didn't want him unjustly associated with the Anderson wrestling family which he isn't a part of so they just named him Kennedy Kennedy, and toyed with him maybe being Vince's iligitimate son during that whole stupid storyline.

Although, sitting there for around 10 minutes thinking Triple H was his iligitimate son was funny, mainly because of the fact that he is married to Stephanie.

That story line was fine until Kennedy went and got himself suspended for the wellness policy. It was supposed to be Kennedy's push to the top but he fucking ruined his push and the storyline.

But yes, I remember the moment when the lawyer guy was like "Your son likes to play games" and Vince and Triple H looked at each other. "Hey, I don't like this anymore than you do. I-" and the guy cut him off to list some childish games.

JustinSane07 on
  • noir_bloodnoir_blood Registered User regular
    edited March 2009

That story line was fine until Kennedy went and got himself suspended for the wellness policy. It was supposed to be Kennedy's push to the top but he fucking ruined his push and the storyline.

Plus he ended up looking like a hypocrite because just before he got suspended he went on a news show talking about how the wwe didn't have a drug problem and such.

Frankly, I never seen the appeal of him. On the ring he's incredibly bland, and I never really seen a great match out of him.

noir_blood on
  • David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    noir_blood wrote: »

Plus he ended up looking like a hypocrite because just before he got suspended he went on a news show talking about how the wwe didn't have a drug problem and such.

Frankly, I never seen the appeal of him. On the ring he's incredibly bland, and I never really seen a great match out of him.

"KENNEDYYYY!"

"Oh you didn't know?"

"Arrrrrrmando..."

Give the people something they can chant along with and they'll start looking forward to it. Start looking forward to that, they'll start getting excited when you show up. If people are excited when you show up, you become popular. It's almost Pavlovian. They had to stop Armando Estrada from doing the "Arrrrrmando" bit because he started getting Umaga over as a face just from doing that.

"HOOOOOOOOOOO!"

Worked for both Duggan and the Godfather.

David_T on
    euj90n71sojo.png
    edited March 2009
    The appeal was partly because of his mic skills. I thought his matches were okay, but some of his promos and stuff could be pretty decent. I did enjoy his "feud" with... tony chimmel I think his name is, at least used to be the ring announcer for smackdown. I've honestly paid so little attention I don't know who announces contenders and winners on smackdown anymorel.

Why did I enjoy it? Because its so absurd to have a fued with the ring announcer.

KurnDerak on
  • kdrudykdrudy Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    David_T wrote: »

"KENNEDYYYY!"

"Oh you didn't know?"

"Arrrrrrmando..."

Give the people something they can chant along with and they'll start looking forward to it. Start looking forward to that, they'll start getting excited when you show up. If people are excited when you show up, you become popular. It's almost Pavlovian. They had to stop Armando Estrada from doing the "Arrrrrmando" bit because he started getting Umaga over as a face just from doing that.

"HOOOOOOOOOOO!"

It's such a simple idea but it's surprising how few guys can get it to work. When they can get it to work though you can take something ridiculous, well like the Godfather, and run with it and stay popular a long time.

kdrudy on
    tvsfrank.jpg
    edited March 2009
    kdrudy wrote: »
    David_T wrote: »

"KENNEDYYYY!"

"Oh you didn't know?"

"Arrrrrrmando..."

"HOOOOOOOOOOO!"

It's such a simple idea but it's surprising how few guys can get it to work. When they can get it to work though you can take something ridiculous, well like the Godfather, and run with it and stay popular a long time.

It is sort of sad when a characters phrase like that becomes more or less character defining, like "DAMN!" with Ron Simmons.

KurnDerak on
    edited March 2009
    I looked up the whole Lita/Edge/Matt Hardy debacle and watched Matt Hardy's "re-signing" shoot, and man, that was was uncomfortable to watch. I wondered how much was part of the shoot, and how much that was actually him speaking. It's a shame. Team Extreme was one of my favorite groups when I was younger, and I thought Matt and Lita made a good couple. Still, apparently Matt and Lita are now back to being friends, and at least it seems Matt's willing to work with Edge.

I kind of can't believe the WWE actually worked this into a storyline angle. Well, I guess I can, but still, just seems this thing reeked of awkwardness for the parties involved.

PunkBoy on
    Steam ID:
    steam_sig.png
  • noir_bloodnoir_blood Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I looked up the whole Lita/Edge/Matt Hardy debacle and watched Matt Hardy's "re-signing" shoot, and man, that was was uncomfortable to watch. I wondered how much was part of the shoot, and how much that was actually him speaking. It's a shame. Team Extreme was one of my favorite groups when I was younger, and I thought Matt and Lita made a good couple. Still, apparently Matt and Lita are now back to being friends, and at least it seems Matt's willing to work with Edge.

I kind of can't believe the WWE actually worked this into a storyline angle. Well, I guess I can, but still, just seems this thing reeked of awkwardness for the parties involved.

If you were watching wrestling while that whole thing was going on, you might have understood why WWE did the angle. See, when Matt was relased from the company, it becamed well known in the net that it was partly due to Edge and him having friction over Edge going behind his back with Lita. Before long, any time Lita or Edge showed up, they would get heckled with "slut" chants or "matt" chants. This went on for a while, with it first only being the smart fans, and before long even the regular fans were chanting it, to the point where WWE just couldn't ignore it.

I gotta hand it to the WWE, cause when Matt did a run in on Edge, it was an honest 'holy shit' moment. They pulled off the ambiguity of whether this was fake or not, going as far as allowing Matt to scream out "ROH", as he had already been scheduled for a match in that promotion.

noir_blood on
  • ANTVGM64ANTVGM64 Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I think it was also because Matt and Lita where together, and Edge was the one who broke them up.

yet they go ahead and fire Matt because he was less of the draw. That's what got people hot.

ANTVGM64 on
    edited March 2009
    To be fair, they didnt fire Matt until he went to whine about it on his blogs.

Kyougu on
  • LuxLux Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I tried to youtube some Matt/Edge stuff on TV, and instead found Paul London ragging on Matt Hardy for ten minutes: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x2LxKnQUnxE
    Which I think is actually pretty funny.

Lux on
    edited March 2009
    Heh. I enjoyed that interview.

redfield85 on
    bYf6vNQ.png
    edited March 2009
    To be fair "Oh you didn't know? Well your ass betta callllll soooommmeeeboooddyyy" was pretty awesome.

But yes, it did cause the New Age Outlaws to go from heels to faces because crowds started looking forward to chanting for them. But it worked, because at the time Austin was ushering in the anti-hero thing, so they were able to turn DX face one night after WM14 and bring in NAO to be faces that very night too, when they were heel that night too.

JustinSane07 on
  • LockedOnTargetLockedOnTarget Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Anyone watch the ROH TV debut? It was a fun, solid show. 30+ minutes of wrestling in an hour-long wrestling show? Yes please.

LockedOnTarget on
  • VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Anyone watch the ROH TV debut? It was a fun, solid show. 30+ minutes of wrestling in an hour-long wrestling show? Yes please.

yeah I enjoyed it.

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I watched almost the first half. Pretty interesting. Should sit down and finish it soon. Some of the interviews were a little uncomfortable. Is the ring smaller than normal? Or is it just shot differently?

Reynolds on
    uyvfOQy.png
  • VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    it's smaller than a wwe ring which I assume is the standard, yes.

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • LockedOnTargetLockedOnTarget Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    From what I understand, the WWE ring is actually bigger than the standard.

But yeah, the ROH ring definately stands out, and takes getting used to.

I liked some of the promos. ROH isn't the best place for great promos...though they have some good guys, too. I liked the Kenny King and Jimmy Jacobs promos the most on the show, I think. Kenny makes me think of what Shelton Benjamin could be like if he had more charisma.

LockedOnTarget on
This discussion has been closed.