As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[The Secret World] - Cthulhu is all over this

• Options
    CabezoneCabezone Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    It's the same engine but it's all new otherwise. I suspect this team is smaller than the Conan one.

Cabezone on
  • Options
    SquiddyBiscuitSquiddyBiscuit Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    One thing I forgot to mention is how nicely the UI blends into the game world.
    Like when you see a quest or a dialogue button, it's like an object in the world that expands to give you a tiny bit of info and the choice to accept (at which point you get a nice cut-scene):
    j8qyp.jpg
    WQKIi.jpg
    88Y7N.jpg

Anyway, some pics for people who don't care about trivialities like that:
    LJesG.jpg
    D1pch.jpg

9Eu79.jpg
    Tried to get a nice action shot

jsbDc.jpg
    Then I died

WmKRx.jpg
    So I did a corpse run

EGpiS.jpg

T2omF.jpg
    That jacket was really impressive.

I came across a lot of clones - this was my evil clone:
    hdRAK.jpg

SquiddyBiscuit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SpectrumSpectrum Archer of Inferno Chaldea Rec RoomRegistered User regular
    I may have just played this for 13 hours straight and gotten to the end of this phase of the beta

I regret nothing

XNnw6Gk.jpg
  • Options
    MasumeMasume Creator Caprica, FloridaRegistered User regular
    Arthil wrote: »
    Or if you've been pushing prntscreen, or tried to rebind it, that wont work. Gotta have the screenshot as F11.

...yeah I've been hitting prntscreen. WTF Funcom, is this the 90's still?

3DS Code - 5370-0463-9307
    Wii U - 'Nocero'
    XBox ID - therealmasume
    PS4 ID - realmasume
  • Options
    DelphinidaesDelphinidaes FFXIV: Delphi Kisaragi Registered User regular
    Spectrum wrote: »
    I may have just played this for 13 hours straight and gotten to the end of this phase of the beta

I regret nothing

Yeah...that was one hell of a game session.

First impressions:

Game is decent looking, no complaints.
    Combat is not amazing, but not bad either. It is serviceable and does not detract from the game.
    Story is phenomenal, I love having to use my head to think through the investigation missions and others. It was very refreshing to work things out and very satisfying when we got it right (And humiliating when we got stumped)
    There is a stupid amount of content, we aren't even DONE with this zone and spent literally the entire day playing.

Very impressed, very promising game so far. Lots of initial login bugs but it's day one on a big test so i'll give them that.

NNID: delphinidaes
    Official PA Forums FFXIV:ARR Free Company <GHOST> gitl.enjin.com Join us on Sargatanas!
    delphinidaes.png
  • Options
    Fist/Blood does like no damage at all whatsoever in a healing spec, but is pretty hard to kill and heals well.

AR/Blood does a little more damage, a little less healing (not entirely sure about that last part). AoE is alot more finicky since the resources are based on the enemy and you have to watch out for an enemy with low health and high resources dying before you trigger an AoE.

XNnw6Gk.jpg
  • Options
    ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    I like shotgun+more shotgun

reaping zombies like a whirlwind

fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    DetharinDetharin Registered User regular
    Elldren wrote: »

Shotgun is civilization. I didnt even have a point spent anywhere else, and once i maxed it trying to find something to pair it with is a bit of a challenge. It does everything you need it to do, and does it well. Trying to add more abilities just seemed like adding complications for complications sake.

Oh look a pack of zombies Builder Cone, Double Barrel and its dead. Single target your worried about? Spam Builder AOE to apply 30% damage debuff, buckshot, big attack. Repeat.

The only thing im confused on is if it is worth building to 5 stacks of the shotgun buff because aside from buckshot it didnt seem to affect damage much.

• Options
    AddaAdda LondonRegistered User regular
    Yep I'm definitely more impressed than I expected and stayed up til 4 playing this last night. If anyone hasn't even considered playing the game they should at least try grab a beta key for one of the weekends as they may be surprised.

Game obviously needs tweaks but so far it's looking pretty good. Obviously we always run the risk of Kingsmouth being the new Tortage.

steam_sig.png
    I want to know more PA people on Twitter.
  • Options
    ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    Detharin wrote: »

Shotgun is civilization. I didnt even have a point spent anywhere else, and once i maxed it trying to find something to pair it with is a bit of a challenge. It does everything you need it to do, and does it well. Trying to add more abilities just seemed like adding complications for complications sake.

Oh look a pack of zombies Builder Cone, Double Barrel and its dead. Single target your worried about? Spam Builder AOE to apply 30% damage debuff, buckshot, big attack. Repeat.

The only thing im confused on is if it is worth building to 5 stacks of the shotgun buff because aside from buckshot it didnt seem to affect damage much.

It pretty much only affects buckshot, I think.

The truly awesome thing about the building shot attack (as opposed to powder burn, which is slightly longer range but much less useful) is that it can hit a single target multiple times with the same shot, especially from close range. This makes its actual damage quite a lot bigger than the tooltip would suggest.

fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    Detharin wrote: »

You could splash Elemental/Pistol/AR for more Hinders
    or Hammer/Pistol/Chaos for more Weakens

If you went pure damage in your equipment, it probably isn't worth splashing Blood for the shield/healing. You can think about AR for the leech/healing, actually, there's a builder in there that gets additional healing from leech that might be workable.

Spectrum on
    XNnw6Gk.jpg
  • Options
    sidhaethesidhaethe Registered User regular
    Well, I went into this with pretty low expectations because I wasn't won over by the combat animations or character models in the footage I'd seen (TSW fell under the "this is a really neat idea, but I'm not sure I'm going to like it and holy hell does it not look great" category for me), but I was able to make what I thought was a passably attractive female character with a lot of tweaking, and I found the rest of the game so interesting that I wasn't even watching my character attack so much as trying to build the best attacks for the mob I was fighting at the time. I also really got into the cutscenes (even the ones I'd already seen from watching beta streams!) - I think the voice acting is great and frankly found the story at least as, if not more engaging than any recent story-based cinematic MMO. And if nothing else, I think the environmental visuals were incredible.

Suffice it to say I was not at all expecting to want to buy this, especially given my heart-on for GW2, but now I am wrestling with myself over it. I.... really, really liked it. Also, Elemental/Blood ftw.

• Options
    Yeah the game is nuts and if the starter zone had me googling lines of text from the bible and a particular artists style in order to solve puzzles then who knows what will show up later.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DetharinDetharin Registered User regular
    Spectrum wrote: »
    You could splash Elemental/Pistol/AR for more Hinders
    or Hammer/Pistol/Chaos for more Weakens

If you went pure damage in your equipment, it probably isn't worth splashing Blood for the shield/healing. You can think about AR for the leech/healing, actually, there's a builder in there that gets additional healing from leech that might be workable.

Sure you CAN, but aside from picking up some more passives the shotgun trees have pretty much everything you need. Its like having a huge bag of hammers. It may not be the best solution for every situation, but it is a viable solution in every situation. I mean your spam attack can lower their damage by 30%, hit for decent damage, can get a passive that gives it a 33% chance to do 66 more damage, and hits everything in a cone. Toss in one of your other high damage cones and zombie packs just evaporate. Its disgustingly awesome.

• Options
    DecomposeyDecomposey Registered User regular
    More than once over the evening playing, I tabbed out to use google. Not to find Secret World sites for hints, but to look up actual real world shit that helped me complete quests. In doing so, I felt very sorry for the Norwegian devs of Funcom, who have probably never heard the awe inspiring sound of Stars and Stripes Forever with cannon percussion. I actually had to kick myself at one point when doing a quest, and the map indicator didn't lead me directly to a bright glowing objective, making me take an active part in completing a mission and THINK. My vent friends laughed when I cursed at myself for being 'spoiled by Warcraft' as I turned my brain on.

I will also admit I was far more amused by the NPCs liberal use of profanity than I should have been.

I have some issues with the character creator graphics (such as the only three female makeup options of circus performer, aging prostitute overcompensation for lost youth, and mime), and some of the combat animations are nearly identical to the point of repetitiveness. The game tended to freeze up at times, I don't know if its an issue with my computer or something in the game, but it was annoying. The Blood Magic option in the tutorial zone doesn't work, which is problematic in that is prevents you from taking Blood as your first set. And if there is a way to log out to character select, I didn't see it, which is also a pain.

The audio atmosphere is phenomenal. Monsters attacking you while ranting about their lost keys, or begging for forgiveness for what they're doing is very immersive, and things like the forlorn jingle of a blood spattered ice cream truck or left on radio in a trashed diner really drive home the feel of a town gripped in horror.

Before following any advice, opinions, or thoughts I may have expressed in the above post, be warned: I found Keven Costners "Waterworld" to be a very entertaining film.
  • Options
    Hey @Decomposey if you press 'B' then you get an in game browser \o/

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    The Priest in Kingsmouth is the best Priest.

Also if one pays attention to the names of things around the town, they are named after horror movie stuff.

PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
  • Options
    mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
    Arthil wrote: »
    The Priest in Kingsmouth is the best Priest.

Also if one pays attention to the names of things around the town, they are named after horror movie stuff.

A lot of the abilities and things are references too. Dual pistols has a chain finisher called "wanted" where the animation is whipping the arm around like the bullet bending in the movie.

Game does seem pretty awesome, some points feels like American Gods: The Game which is fantastic, there's some great writing and I like the UI touches. If I was to want anything to change it would be the combat, just feels a bit disconnected right now. Maybe just make the weapon sounds more powerful or whatever.

Also more initial character customization! Want to be able to be a short fat dude in a suit wielding a shotgun.

Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
  • Options
    CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    Well, I wasn't going to, but I suckered out and did the Gamespot thing to get in. I am now DLing the client. I'm in the GW2 TS3 server for anyone interested in hooking up in game and doing stuff, specifically Arthil.

488W936.png
  • Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    A lot of the abilities and things are references too. Dual pistols has a chain finisher called "wanted" where the animation is whipping the arm around like the bullet bending in the movie.

God, that movie was ass. And to think it was worlds better than the source material was scary.

...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    Ragnar as the designer dude definitely shows through. This feels half adventure game, half WoW-clone combat (albeit with a different weapon system). I can't decide if I like it or not. The adventure parts are a lot of fun, but I don't really find the combat compelling, even with the interesting skills system.

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    guruslothgurusloth Registered User regular
    Kept crashing out to an insufficient memory error; anyone else getting this?

• Options
    JayeEmmJayeEmm New HampShireRegistered User regular
    Only got to play a couple of hours last night - first impressions - I think it looks fantastic, loved putting together all the lore pieces, combat was ok - but I've barely gotten into that. Looking forward to trying it out more tonight. Wish I could roll an Illuminati - next time I guess.

Potentially stupid question: I could not for the life of me figure out how to close the inventory window once I had it open - spent 2 hours running around with a big grey window open on half the screen - derp. What obvious thing am I missing?

• Options
    LouieLouie Registered User regular
    press I? or I'm pretty sure it has a cross in the top corner. Think I just used I.

camo_sig.png
    Twitter - discolouie PSN - Loupa Steam - Loupa
  • Options
    Louie wrote: »
    press I? or I'm pretty sure it has a cross in the top corner. Think I just used I.

Or press escape.

Official PA Forums FFXIV:ARR Free Company <GHOST> gitl.enjin.com Join us on Sargatanas!
    delphinidaes.png
  • Options
    Anon the FelonAnon the Felon In bat country.Registered User regular

God, that movie was ass. And to think it was worlds better than the source material was scary.

Wait, the shit movie "Wanted" was..."worlds better" than the graphic novel? I have to adamantly disagree. In the comic, they go to different dimensions and kill people. In the movie, Morgan Freeman plays the gnomish inventor from the comic and they are instructed by a loom. I'd hardly call that "better" by any definition of entertainment. It could be argued that all they took from the comic was: the first 5 pages of the son and father story (which didn't get developed in the same way as it did in the comic), character names, healing goo stuff, bullet bending. Everything else is tragically not even close to the original story.

On topic: I'm highly interested in this game. I love the Lovecraftian mythos. Problem is, I've become so jaded by the video game industry lately I just can't plunk down $50 to test a game that is getting pretty mixed reviews. Even this thread makes it sound really awesome in some aspects, but really bad in others. Which does not bode well in my opinion.

• Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2012
    Wanted the graphic novel was different than the movie, in a lot of ways. It had a much more outlandish story, in that the costumed villains had murdered all the costumed heroes in their own world, so they started traveling to alternate realities so as to murder all the costumed heroes there too. In the graphic novel there was no noble self-sacrifice or character redemption. It was just straight killing from start to end.

If you think that kind of thing cool then more power to you, but I found it much more trite than the end result of the movie, which was still quite bad.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
    ...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • Options
    CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    So, did the intro stuff (honestly felt a bit disjointed from the character's perspective but whatever), the metro thing with the shotgun and WTF cool ending space shot (and was impressed when the NPC followers were actually VA referencing my character's name), did the templar initiation and weapon training/selection (hooray assault rifles), and got my first assignment to go to the obviously Cthulhu ridden New England island. Go to the subway tunnels below the market in Ealdwic, say yes to load up the Agartha transportation dimension thing and...

Game crash after sitting on the load screen for ten minutes. Restart client, do it again, same thing. Beta is beta but is anyone else getting this problem? So far I've not experienced any bugs or issues, hardly and lag, been enjoying the environment and the combat's okay. It was just getting good and now I'm having this derp up.

488W936.png
  • Options
    eobeteobet 8-bit childhood SwedenRegistered User regular
    Someone probably already said this, but for a game which had amongst the coolest and best looking teaser trailers I've ever seen, that the actual in-game graphics ends up what looks to me to be the worst of the recent MMO offerings is a huge disappointment.

Heard the proposition that RIAA and MPAA should join forces and form "Music And Film Industry Association"?
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    Corehealer wrote: »
    So, did the intro stuff (honestly felt a bit disjointed from the character's perspective but whatever), the metro thing with the shotgun and WTF cool ending space shot (and was impressed when the NPC followers were actually VA referencing my character's name), did the templar initiation and weapon training/selection (hooray assault rifles), and got my first assignment to go to the obviously Cthulhu ridden New England island. Go to the subway tunnels below the market in Ealdwic, say yes to load up the Agartha transportation dimension thing and...

Game crash after sitting on the load screen for ten minutes. Restart client, do it again, same thing. Beta is beta but is anyone else getting this problem? So far I've not experienced any bugs or issues, hardly and lag, been enjoying the environment and the combat's okay. It was just getting good and now I'm having this derp up.

Yeah I just crashed porting to Agartha so the server for it may be down.

@eobet actually I think the game matches the style of the trailers and looks/runs really well on max settings at a decent 40-50fps.

Adda on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    eobet wrote: »
    Someone probably already said this, but for a game which had amongst the coolest and best looking teaser trailers I've ever seen, that the actual in-game graphics ends up what looks to me to be the worst of the recent MMO offerings is a huge disappointment.

Meh they looked fine to me. Nothing special, but this early in a beta they usually don't have their optimization or higher end setting iin place either.

I wasn't a huge fan of the buff spell effects though, I don't like it when you turn and entire character on color because of a heal or buff.

delphinidaes.png
  • Options
    mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
    edited May 2012

Meh they looked fine to me. Nothing special, but this early in a beta they usually don't have their optimization or higher end setting iin place either.

I wasn't a huge fan of the buff spell effects though, I don't like it when you turn and entire character on color because of a heal or buff.

Yeah the ground AOE for pistols is kinda crappy too, just a bunch of green hexagons in a circle.

If the lore is that your weapon channels your magic they could have your character quickly shoot the ground in the circle and that pulls up a small wall to represent the area, or something.

mere_immortal on
    Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
  • Options
    CabezoneCabezone Registered User regular
    edited May 2012

This isn't early beta, the game is out next month. What you are seeing will be close to the release product, they only have time to polish it up a little.

Cabezone on
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    Cabezone wrote: »

This isn't early beta, the game is out next month. What you are seeing will be close to the release product, they only have time to polish it up a little.

Typically the high res textures and such get released around this time. That won't help with the basic design decisions of the spell effects, but should polish the game up nicely. The basic design elements aren't bad at all.

Delphinidaes on
    delphinidaes.png
  • Options
    MrVyngaardMrVyngaard Live From New Etoile Straight Outta SosariaRegistered User regular
    Figures I have PC problems and miss out on finding out about this until now.

Faster, client. Download faster.

"now I've got this mental image of caucuses as cafeteria tables in prison, and new congressmen having to beat someone up on inauguration day." - Raiden333
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    DecomposeyDecomposey Registered User regular
    Cabezone wrote: »

As I mentioned before, I've been told by people playing that the graphics in the closed beta are more advanced than the ones in the open beta. We're probably just playing an older build they made into a demo.

Before following any advice, opinions, or thoughts I may have expressed in the above post, be warned: I found Keven Costners "Waterworld" to be a very entertaining film.
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    Found this on the official forums :D

VQ2YF.png

Adda on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    sidhaethesidhaethe Registered User regular
    Is anybody else having issues staying connected to the server today? I am getting all kinds of server unresponsive issues and have had to log out/force quit 3 times already. I played several hours yesterday and had no such problems.

• Options
    Okay, that is hilarious.

XNnw6Gk.jpg
  • Options
    NeadenNeaden Registered User regular
    Liking the game so far but disapointed about the more puzzle type quests in that I haven't really found any. Closest I've come is having to check in the church for a song number, nothing where I have had to google. I'm still on the island, are there any there or is that later on?

This discussion has been closed.