As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Leading an Adventurous Life in Modern Times

russia32russia32 Registered User regular
edited November 2006 in Debate and/or Discourse
Do you believe it is possible to live a truly adventurous life in the modern world?

I think not. At least not on the scale that was possible in the past.

For example. Today, the entire world has been conquered and charted. There are no longer lands left unexplored, except for the bottom of the ocean and the poles. These areas do not offer mankind anything of value. Space is the last domain, and it is only possible for a handful out of the billions of people alive. Nature has been defeated. The largest problem facing man today may very well be man itself.

russia32 on
«1

Posts

  • Options
    ToadTheMushroomToadTheMushroom Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    I find that, particularly in a mall or high street environment, if you simply run fast, like at full pelt to your destination, even if only for a short burst you garner everyones attention. Noone fucking runs anywhere anymore, and it is a lot of fun even if your life is hugely mundane.

    I remember this brilliant Carlsberg or Guinness adver on TV where two guys race home from work to their flat, quite literally climbing over busses and under bridges in the rain just to get the one comfy chair for the footy. I do that kinda shit often, its so good.

    ToadTheMushroom on
  • Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    russia32 wrote:
    Do you believe it is possible to live a truly adventurous life in the modern world?

    I think not. At least not on the scale that was possible in the past.

    For example. Today, the entire world has been conquered and charted.

    Sure, but not by you .... I once camped on a mountain in NC for a week living off the land. I trapped animals (eventually) and ate berries and tea and etc. I could have picked up and hit a hotel if I felt like it, but it was fun and felt like an adventure to me

    I suppose if you were smart about it you could make yourself an adventure whenever you wanted.

    Xaquin on
  • Options
    Vincent GraysonVincent Grayson Frederick, MDRegistered User regular
    edited November 2006
    russia32 wrote:
    Do you believe it is possible to live a truly adventurous life in the modern world?

    I think not. At least not on the scale that was possible in the past.

    For example. Today, the entire world has been conquered and charted. There are no longer lands left unexplored, except for the bottom of the ocean and the poles. These areas do not offer mankind anything of value. Space is the last domain, and it is only possible for a handful out of the billions of people alive. Nature has been defeated. The largest problem facing man today may very well be man itself.

    There's always the depths of the Congo, last I knew, that wasn't fully explored.

    But yeah, for the most part, you're right, and that's always made me a little sad. There's very little chance any of us will ever see something that someone else hasn't already seen before.

    Vincent Grayson on
  • Options
    CasketCasket __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2006
    No one travels on long journeys either. Everything is an instant plane ride. For instance, no one in their right mind would get a vehicle (perhaps even an RV home), and drive from the east coast of the United States, to Alaska, take a ferry across to Russia, drive through russia, the middle east, europe, all the way to spain and portugal, and then load up on a ship and ride back to the East Coast.

    Casket on
    casketiisigih1.png
  • Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    russia32 wrote:
    Do you believe it is possible to live a truly adventurous life in the modern world?

    I think not. At least not on the scale that was possible in the past.

    For example. Today, the entire world has been conquered and charted. There are no longer lands left unexplored, except for the bottom of the ocean and the poles. These areas do not offer mankind anything of value. Space is the last domain, and it is only possible for a handful out of the billions of people alive. Nature has been defeated. The largest problem facing man today may very well be man itself.

    There's always the depths of the Congo, last I knew, that wasn't fully explored.

    But yeah, for the most part, you're right, and that's always made me a little sad. There's very little chance any of us will ever see something that someone else hasn't already seen before.

    But just because someone else has seen it, doesn't mean it can't be a unique and fun experience

    Xaquin on
  • Options
    MrMisterMrMister Jesus dying on the cross in pain? Morally better than us. One has to go "all in".Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    But yeah, for the most part, you're right, and that's always made me a little sad. There's very little chance any of us will ever see something that someone else hasn't already seen before.

    America wasn't empty when Columbus got there.

    MrMister on
  • Options
    Vincent GraysonVincent Grayson Frederick, MDRegistered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Xaquin44 wrote:
    russia32 wrote:
    Do you believe it is possible to live a truly adventurous life in the modern world?

    I think not. At least not on the scale that was possible in the past.

    For example. Today, the entire world has been conquered and charted. There are no longer lands left unexplored, except for the bottom of the ocean and the poles. These areas do not offer mankind anything of value. Space is the last domain, and it is only possible for a handful out of the billions of people alive. Nature has been defeated. The largest problem facing man today may very well be man itself.

    There's always the depths of the Congo, last I knew, that wasn't fully explored.

    But yeah, for the most part, you're right, and that's always made me a little sad. There's very little chance any of us will ever see something that someone else hasn't already seen before.

    But just because someone else has seen it, doesn't mean it can't be a unique and fun experience

    Oh, I don't disagree, but that feeling of discovering something completely new isn't something most of us will ever have.

    Generally, I love exploring new places I haven't been, but it would be so awesome to not only go somewhere I haven't been, but to go somewhere *no one* has been.

    Vincent Grayson on
  • Options
    DocDoc Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2006
  • Options
    _J__J_ Pedant Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2006
    russia32 wrote:
    Do you believe it is possible to live a truly adventurous life in the modern world?

    I think not. At least not on the scale that was possible in the past.

    For example. Today, the entire world has been conquered and charted. There are no longer lands left unexplored, except for the bottom of the ocean and the poles. These areas do not offer mankind anything of value. Space is the last domain, and it is only possible for a handful out of the billions of people alive. Nature has been defeated. The largest problem facing man today may very well be man itself.

    I think you need to define what you think is, "truly adventurous". Because you seem to think "truly adventurous" means "capable of finding something new". And I don't think that is quite right.

    Of course one can be adventurous in modern times. It just requires getting off your ass.

    _J_ on
  • Options
    ege02ege02 __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2006
    Commercialization of space is starting. I expect that in as little as several decades, it will pick up in speed considerably. If the progress is not hindered by a catastrophic event like a world war or a fatal epidemic, by the end of this century we might very well have traveled to the far reaches of the solar system, after which comes the exploration of outer space.

    ege02 on
  • Options
    MrMisterMrMister Jesus dying on the cross in pain? Morally better than us. One has to go "all in".Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Generally, I love exploring new places I haven't been, but it would be so awesome to not only go somewhere I haven't been, but to go somewhere *no one* has been.

    America wasn't empty when Columbus got there.

    MrMister on
  • Options
    KMGorKMGor Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Go live out in the woods in northern Canada by yourself, and live entirely off the land. I'd consider that adventurous.

    KMGor on
  • Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    russia32 wrote:
    Do you believe it is possible to live a truly adventurous life in the modern world?

    Of course. It's not as though the world has suddenly become bubblewrapped and safe without any risky or interesting areas to get involved in.

    moniker on
  • Options
    russia32russia32 Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    _J_ wrote:
    I think you need to define what you think is, "truly adventurous". Because you seem to think "truly adventurous" means "capable of finding something new". And I don't think that is quite right.

    Of course one can be adventurous in modern times. It just requires getting off your ass.

    Well, what someone considers adventure will vary from person to person.

    To start with, I think high adventure is not done entirely for the adrenaline rush. That's thrill seeking. For something to be real adventure, it needs to have an element of real danger and actual purpose. At least that is the way I see it.

    In today's world, if actual danger strikes, an ambulance or helicopter is (almost) always at hand. If it's not, then necessary precautions were not made, and that is just putting yourself in danger for no real reason.

    Also, adventure of the past were done out of necessity. Europe discovered the new world because it needed the resources and the individual nations needed the power of land to survive.

    Where as, making an expedition around the world on foot... Well, you can say "I did this." But what's the purpose, beside for your own amusement? You didn't really accomplish anything, and if you prepared properly, there wasn't any danger in your task that couldn't be accounted for.

    russia32 on
  • Options
    ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    This is something I've pondered too. If by some chance they ever put out a call for colonists for Mars or whatnot in my lifespan, I'm sure I'd sign up. But that's something I'm sure isn't going to happen. So I'll probably end up living a life as a cubical drone doing a job thousands of other people could do, not leaving much of a mark.


    Even in the military, it used to be you might go out and conquer lands for the fame and glory of your people. Nowadays the military seems to be about protecting the status quo. And if a serious war broke out the damage would outstrip any 'glory'.

    Scooter on
  • Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    russia32 wrote:
    Also, adventure of the past were done out of necessity. Europe discovered the new world because it needed the resources and the individual nations needed the power of land to survive.

    huh?

    Xaquin on
  • Options
    Loren MichaelLoren Michael Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Xaquin44 wrote:
    russia32 wrote:
    Also, adventure of the past were done out of necessity. Europe discovered the new world because it needed the resources and the individual nations needed the power of land to survive.

    huh?

    seconded.

    Loren Michael on
    a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
  • Options
    russia32russia32 Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Xaquin44 wrote:
    russia32 wrote:
    Also, adventure of the past were done out of necessity. Europe discovered the new world because it needed the resources and the individual nations needed the power of land to survive.

    huh?

    One of the primary reasons the Spanish went to the New World was to acquire riches.

    They also went seeking the fountain of youth - which as ridiculous as it may seem today, was a completely worthwhile cause to them.

    (sorry that was very poorly worded).

    russia32 on
  • Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    I'm not trying to sound mean, but are you joking?

    Xaquin on
  • Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    russia32 wrote:
    In today's world, if actual danger strikes, an ambulance or helicopter is (almost) always at hand. If it's not, then necessary precautions were not made, and that is just putting yourself in danger for no real reason.

    You do realize that the world involves more than the western world...right?
    Also, adventure of the past were done out of necessity. Europe discovered the new world because it needed the resources and the individual nations needed the power of land to survive.

    Would you have considered Ibn Batuda to have lived an adventerous life? Then why not modern day traders?

    moniker on
  • Options
    ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Well, it was discovered because people were interested in a more efficient trading route with India. It got explored the way it did because any European nation that didn't would've been put at a disadvantage.

    Scooter on
  • Options
    russia32russia32 Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Xaquin44 wrote:
    I'm not trying to sound mean, but are you joking?

    I'm not sure what you mean. For the Europeans in the Colonial Age, land was a source of wealth, and wealth was (and still is) power.

    And also the advantage of trade routes with China.

    russia32 on
  • Options
    russia32russia32 Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    moniker wrote:
    russia32 wrote:
    In today's world, if actual danger strikes, an ambulance or helicopter is (almost) always at hand. If it's not, then necessary precautions were not made, and that is just putting yourself in danger for no real reason.

    You do realize that the world involves more than the western world...right?

    Are you saying modern medical care is not something that can be transported?

    russia32 on
  • Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    I was refering to the fountain of youth .... They just thought they were going to find a faster way to India .... then after they realized they found something else it was for the gold

    Xaquin on
  • Options
    DocDoc Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2006
    russia32 wrote:
    moniker wrote:
    russia32 wrote:
    In today's world, if actual danger strikes, an ambulance or helicopter is (almost) always at hand. If it's not, then necessary precautions were not made, and that is just putting yourself in danger for no real reason.

    You do realize that the world involves more than the western world...right?

    Are you saying modern medical care is not something that can be transported?

    ...

    Doc on
  • Options
    KusuguttaiKusuguttai __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2006
    Didn't we have this exact same thread before?

    Kusuguttai on
  • Options
    Loren MichaelLoren Michael Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Xaquin44 wrote:
    I was referring to the fountain of youth .... They just thought they were going to find a faster way to India .... then after they realized they found something else it was for the gold

    yes, america was discovered via accident, not because they wanted to plunder the wealth of the new world. they just thought they had a fun back door into southeast asia.

    Loren Michael on
    a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
  • Options
    ege02ege02 __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2006
    It's not like we don't go around in circles in D&D, Kusu.

    THE PROPHECIES SAY WHAT HAS HAPPENED BEFORE WILL HAPPEN AGAIN!

    ege02 on
  • Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    russia32 wrote:
    moniker wrote:
    russia32 wrote:
    In today's world, if actual danger strikes, an ambulance or helicopter is (almost) always at hand. If it's not, then necessary precautions were not made, and that is just putting yourself in danger for no real reason.

    You do realize that the world involves more than the western world...right?

    Are you saying modern medical care is not something that can be transported?

    So you're saying that an adventerous life is today impossible because someone who is rich enough can go galavanting around the world with a full hospital and culinary staff; and anyone who isn't doing that is not adventerous, but actually a fool who's taking unneccesary risks?

    I guess you're right. Under that stringent a definition adventure truly is impossible.

    moniker on
  • Options
    russia32russia32 Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Xaquin44 wrote:
    I was referring to the fountain of youth .... They just thought they were going to find a faster way to India .... then after they realized they found something else it was for the gold

    yes, america was discovered via accident, not because they wanted to plunder the wealth of the new world. they just thought they had a fun back door into southeast asia.

    This is correct, sorry, I was referring to the ensuing European involvement, fall of the native empires, etc.

    russia32 on
  • Options
    KusuguttaiKusuguttai __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2006
    ege02 wrote:
    It's not like we don't go around in circles in D&D, Kusu.

    THE PROPHECIES SAY WHAT HAS HAPPENED BEFORE WILL HAPPEN AGAIN!
    It's ironic that you say this from jail.

    Kusuguttai on
  • Options
    DocDoc Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2006
    I'll link it again because it shows that adventure certainly is possible:

    http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=6543408

    Doc on
  • Options
    KusuguttaiKusuguttai __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2006
    Doc wrote:
    I'll link it again because it shows that adventure certainly is possible:

    http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=6543408
    Badass
    Doc have you ever considered traveling across the globe? All you'd have to do is take, what, three steps and you're in china!

    Kusuguttai on
  • Options
    bone daddybone daddy Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2006
    There's always the depths of the Congo, last I knew, that wasn't fully explored.
    It's explored, just not charted. I mean, all those great white hunter dudes wouldn't have gotten too far without their native guides way back in the day. There are a number of nature scientist crews who basically go into remote and unstable regions, do their thing commando style, and get the fuck out within 48 hours. They figure it's better than not getting a look at flora and fauna at all and has little chance of getting them shot to death by warring tribesmen or guerrillas.

    bone daddy on
    Rogue helicopter?
    Ecoterrorism is actually the single largest terrorist threat at the moment. They don't usually kill people, but they blow up or set on fire very expensive things.
  • Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Doc wrote:
    I'll link it again because it shows that adventure certainly is possible:

    http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=6543408

    This is seriously kickass.

    Seriously, you have to decide what qualifies as "adventure." Are you going to discover strange and exotic lands? Probably not. But there is plenty of adventure to be had still in the world, especially if you leave the confines of first-world countries.

    mcdermott on
  • Options
    ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Eh, the point remains that those sorts of adventurers aren't really accomplishing anything, as opposed to packing up your family and moving to an unknown land, or discovering things that no one on your continent was even aware existed.

    It's just a very extensive/expensive hobby.

    Scooter on
  • Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    moniker wrote:
    Would you have considered Ibn Batuda to have lived an adventerous life? Then why not modern day traders?

    Or, in other words, define 'adventure' since none of us seem to be agreeing with your take on the word.

    moniker on
  • Options
    DocDoc Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2006
    Scooter wrote:
    Eh, the point remains that those sorts of adventurers aren't really accomplishing anything, as opposed to packing up your family and moving to an unknown land, or discovering things that no one on your continent was even aware existed.

    It's just a very extensive/expensive hobby.

    What about a person who joins the Marines for adventure? It sounds silly, but it happens a lot.

    Most adventurers (even the pirates!) in the past have been backed by nations, so it's not all that different.

    Doc on
  • Options
    russia32russia32 Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    I suppose there are two kinds of adventure. Those for personal accomplishment, and those out of necessity, or those that have real world ramifications of significance beyond yourself. I am referring to this type.

    russia32 on
  • Options
    Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    edited November 2006
    They rowed across the atlantic? Jeez. I don't really wear hats, but if I did, my hat would be off to them.

    I think adventure is relative. I know some people... when they left the U.S. for the first time, that was an adventure because they had never even been outside of their state. Sure, they went by plane and probably did touristy stuff, but for some people it takes an enormous amount of courage to do something even slightly unknown.

    Casual Eddy on
Sign In or Register to comment.