As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Darkfall] Now with More Wang!!

1121314151618»

• BadwrongBadwrong TokyoRegistered User regular
    edited June 2013
    So you're saying it's worth a download? How harsh is the playerbase?

For you? I dunno. It has an upfront cost and a monthly fee, and I know you are not a fan of that.

The playerbase was incredibly nice for the type of game it is. Like I mentioned in my nonsense ramble there, a guy killed me in open world FFA PVP, but then came back and rezzed me instead of ganking me and taking the items on me.

At the same time its a FFA PVP game, there are going to be players with names like Yoloswag and equally stupid nonsense. They are going to kill new solo players. However now that the game has been out for a couple months, its drastically different than when it launched. Also since there is an upfront fee and monthly fee, all the extreme asshats are mostly going to go play Mortal Online since its free to play on steam. In MO you will literally have people trying to kill you as soon as you spawn into the game.

Its still niche enough that I don't feel comfortable telling you to just go plop down $40 and play it. But this isn't because I have doubts about the game itself, I just don't know if you want this type of game or not. If you want to mainly solo, then you should probably pass. If you want to get in a nice guild and get into the large scale PVP, then I would highly suggest it. Also if you want to play it just to spite the PVD we got sick of in GW2, then by all means this is the game to play. There is an astronomical difference here, since clans actually build the keeps and towns in game. People cannot just flip ownership of a keep every hour.

If you do get it a shot, remember the default binds are poop. Things require exploring and learning as well. But its nothing like the learning curve in EVE or something, they went out of their way to make sure new players had the options to become viable in PVP without weeks of work. With a clan, you can pretty much PVP day one and not be useless.

Also, I'm probably going to join the Old Timers Guild. They have always been very classy gents in all the games I've seen them in. They are still very active and about medium sized from what I can tell. And they support very casual to totally hardcore players.

Badwrong on
    Steam: Badwrong || Xbox: Duncan Dohnuts || PSN: Buc_wild

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • DissociaterDissociater Registered User regular
    Yeah I was looking into it and it's not something I feel like paying for right now. Sometimes I forget that not all MMOs are free to play yet.

• CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    Yeah I was looking into it and it's not something I feel like paying for right now. Sometimes I forget that not all MMOs are free to play yet.

And some would be able to argue that some MMOs should not be, if they are good enough. Because F2P can conceivably cost you more, negatively impact the game's design and incentivise a lot of BS practices to monetize things enough to keep the lights on and turn a profit.

Is Darkfall: Unholy Wars one of those games? I would say no myself, right now, but the game has a lot of solid ideas and from what I've heard from others the community is also pretty nice and close knit even with the open PvP nature of the game. So given time that might change.

488W936.png
    edited June 2013
    Corehealer wrote: »

And some would be able to argue that some MMOs should not be, if they are good enough. Because F2P can conceivably cost you more, negatively impact the game's design and incentivise a lot of BS practices to monetize things enough to keep the lights on and turn a profit.

Is Darkfall: Unholy Wars one of those games? I would say no myself, right now, but the game has a lot of solid ideas and from what I've heard from others the community is also pretty nice and close knit even with the open PvP nature of the game. So given time that might change.

My viewpoint is possibly different than you and I'm still sorta in the honeymoon phase of things.... considering everything I'm seeing now is a complete 180 from my original DF experience the DF:UW beta. I would say this game needs to NOT be free to play. For a few reasons. One, cosmetic only items cannot be done in this type of game. Being able to visually size up an opponent is important in a full loot PVP game. If there was cosmetic stuff, would it be lootable? I dont think so, since people would lose money and that would only drive away people paying. If cosmetic items stayed, then you would have someone with no gear on them possibly looking extremely intimidating and that throws off the balance.

So cosmetic items just would not work.

There are of course the other payment things like boosts and bag space, etc. Boosts I could see working "ok" since it only would speed up a few things, and since there is a lot of horizontal growth in this now, it wouldn't kill non-paying peoples desire to play. As far as bank and bag space, that would not work at all. Again, being full loot your bag space is tied to weight. It would totally fuck over people not paying for more weight and leave them at a huge disadvantage when they manage to kill someone.

I just dont see many options for making enough payable options worthwhile. I think character slots are also no good, because from what I can tell you only get 1 character like in EVE. As far as I can tell, you can max out everything on a single character as well, so there is no need for more slots anyway.

As far as this being "good enough". Well there are no other up to date sandbox games of this type with the same features that I know of. Mortal Online is the only simliar one and its a trainwreck at this point. So there is little to compare it to in order to call it good enough. Again my viewpoint is different, I'm cool with $15 a month on an MMO if that means not having to deal with shit stripped out of the game. It works in GW2, since endgame is 90% cosmetic stuff and the playerbase is MUCH bigger. Personally when I pay $15 a month, I don't feel I should see immediate evidence every month of everyones subscription in game content. At least not from a company this small in such a niche game. I will say that in the few months its been live, they have added enough stuff to warrant the subscription thus far.

Badwrong on

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    I'm not interested enough to pay for it, but I do see F2P killing this kind of playerbase, as it would effectively negate the penalty of being a dick. Oh, finding it hard to play? Make a new account, transfer your crap to it and within a week or two you're back where you were, clean slate.

The large scale PVP in this is just so good looking. Also notice the guys FPS and PING in the upper right.... its no longer a buggy/laggy mess as these smaller games tend to be.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tpc3WMuDkJc

Knowing that all the PVP has impact on player structures and items is also a huge plus for me.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    Shit, that looks way more fun than I thought it would.

You have to buy the box and a sub, though? How much is the box?

What is this I don't even.
    edited June 2013
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    Shit, that looks way more fun than I thought it would.

You have to buy the box and a sub, though? How much is the box?

$40, comes with 30 days playtime.
    https://ams.darkfallonline.com/AMS/#shop

Like I said twice now, the game has literally pulled a 180. I like to think of the original DF as an alpha that slowly turned into a beta. Then the DF:UW beta as a real honest beta. And now I confidently say the game is NOT a beta and in the real polishing stages.

Badwrong on

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    I will also say this is about as "new player" friendly as you can get with a full loot PVP game.

Yes you can still walk outside the safe zone and if you are unlucky a dickhead can freely kill you and take your shit. However there almost zero reasons for someone to do that to a new player. And hell, day one I suggest anyone go naked with just your permanent starter weapons and explore outside the safe zone. My friend and I did just that... we actually found a few chests, I made 400 gold. He got lucky and found 600 gold in a chaos chest. Not a ton of gold in the big picture, but a ton for a brand new player. Planning ahead means you will never lose more than a weapon and a set of armor. I cant think of a reason why anyone would leave the safe zone with more than that on them, you dont need gold or extra gear out in the open world.

The real fun so far as a new player, is leaving town with nothing and seeing how much gold, loot and materials I can rack up before recalling or dying. I haven't been ganked yet, been killed a few times but no one has fully ganked me and taken my shit.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • TheKoolEagleTheKoolEagle Registered User regular
    hrmm, this is tempting... i was in love with darkfall when it was being developed, and when it came out it was like they ripped my heart out. This sounds excellent though, tempted to actually buy it and give it a shot.

I'll have to see how much money I have, since I've recently been throwing a lot of cash at kickstarter

uNMAGLm.png Mon-Fri 8:30 PM CST - 11:30 PM CST
    hrmm, this is tempting... i was in love with darkfall when it was being developed, and when it came out it was like they ripped my heart out. This sounds excellent though, tempted to actually buy it and give it a shot.

I'll have to see how much money I have, since I've recently been throwing a lot of cash at kickstarter

Are you referring to the original DF when you say it ripped your heart out? Cause I'm right there with you on that one.

And ya, I put money on HEX. I bought DF:UW when it was in beta and wasn't super happy with it. But since then entire systems in the game were changed. I was not happy in beta with skills gains still being from spamming things over and over, which would mean macroing would rule all. That is 100% gone for skill gains though. The only macroing now that I think people can do is harvesting in the safe zones. Which means tons of the lowest tier mats... so nothing terrible. I already stopped trying to get nodes to harvest in the safe zone, as soon as you leave it there are tons everywhere anyway and the most I can lose is an axe or mining pick if someone actually kills me.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    yeah I was referring to the original DF, and that sounds good, as much as I like the idea of skills increasing with use, it does become entirely broken due to macros. Best to leave it for single player games like the TES series.

I might join you badwrong... on a wonderful terrible journey.

Cool.

Its Bad Wrong ingame.

I think you have my on steam anyway as Badwrong.

Thanks to the prowess and roles system though, the game has successfully pulled off a good system of quick vertical progression with long term horizontal progression.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Anon the FelonAnon the Felon In bat country.Registered User regular
    edited June 2013
    Point of order: The term "Gank" originated/gained popularity as an MMO term in Ultima Online, as a shorthand for "group kill" or "no-win pvp encounter" as in: "That guard just ganked me when I stole that dudes vanq." or "I was out chopping wood when those reds came in and fuckin' ganked me. Those jerks."

On topic: This looks really interesting. I'm not really a fan of buying a box sight unseen though, despite Badwrong's glowing review. This seems right in my wheelhouse, just the right dash of hardcore and character flexibility. I hope they open up a trial or something.

Badwrong, rise to fame and glory, then demand they offer a trial so I don't have to buy a box and can just subscribe (which is how all MMO's should be).

Anon the Felon on
    Yes, they need a trial. Or make it cheaper.

They are pulling in more players though, much more than DF 1.0 from what I can tell. And its due to them adding slight bits of "carebear" elements as the snarky fans of the game would say. Its an interesting argument to read. They have indeed made the game more accessible and removed grind that can easily be macroed. This means more population. Darkfall 1.0 near its end was one of the most underpopulated games ever. But there are hardcore fans who will argue to death that everything should be closer to that version. Which would suck, because there goes your population and you have no game.

I do think its very dumb that it has a box price AND a sub. Not to take away from how good I think the game is, but its not the quality of game that can simply ask both things at once. However I don't reget buying it at all.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    I'm still on the fence about it, mostly because I looked at my checking account and I have $26 in it, a trial would be wonderful because I really don't want to get burned on a $40 purchase, even though it sounds like they corrected everything I didn't like about DF 1.0

Badwrong wrote: »
    Yes, they need a trial. Or make it cheaper.

They are pulling in more players though, much more than DF 1.0 from what I can tell. And its due to them adding slight bits of "carebear" elements as the snarky fans of the game would say. Its an interesting argument to read. They have indeed made the game more accessible and removed grind that can easily be macroed. This means more population. Darkfall 1.0 near its end was one of the most underpopulated games ever. But there are hardcore fans who will argue to death that everything should be closer to that version. Which would suck, because there goes your population and you have no game.

I do think its very dumb that it has a box price AND a sub. Not to take away from how good I think the game is, but its not the quality of game that can simply ask both things at once. However I don't reget buying it at all.

Yeah! I think the best way to do subscription these days (in the sea of F2P games), is to let us download for free, play to level 10-15, then ask for a subscription.

That would get me to try the game, and if it's worthy... Pay for it. I can find lots of games which don't ask me for a penny to see if I like it.

• CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    I wanna give them a chance to grow, a chance to offer a trial, and a chance to see what the competition ends up being. Specifically Wildstar and if it ends up having a sub or not/being good or not. As it stands I am glad to see Darkfall finally getting somewhere good and fun without sacrificing too much of what people like about it, and I look forward to seeing where it's community goes and what empires form on Agon, ala EvE nullsec.

488W936.png
    One problem though with Darkfall.... is it lacks competition. There isn't anything this up to date that compares in a fantasy setting for open full loot pvp. With stuff like Archeage and Black Desert coming soon (plus about 10 others thanks to kickstarter) the sandbox pvp games are gonna get interesting. Even though its nothing like a full loot pvp MMO, I have been looking forward to Wildstar, long before it finally started getting hype around here.

I'm still really enjoying DF though. Once these other games give it competition though, it might be screwed. Some of them are coming from much bigger studios with much more experience. As much as I like the game, Adventurine is not a very good company. They are just lucky to have the only new game of this type.

Well I lie... Mortal Online is the same type of game. But last time I tried it, seeing 90% of the same bugs that were in the alpha years ago is just pathetic. Plus the F2P model fucking sucks for a full loot PVP game where someone can kill you almost instantly upon making a new character.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    edited June 2013
    This guy also makes some of the better Darkfall vids:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=58McvIsGPHk

He shows a lot more of the game than just sieges.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jfqS1wIsev4

And helpin out the new guys:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JQc8EA02FCw

Badwrong on

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    god damnit badwrong, everything I see tells me I should probably wait, but you keep dropping shit like this into the thread, and it makes me want to be fiscally irresponsible.

good news is I get paid tomorrow, bad news is I am going to a cabin with my wife for the weekend (I guess thats not entirely bad)
    Sunday will be a trying day for me...

god damnit badwrong, everything I see tells me I should probably wait, but you keep dropping shit like this into the thread, and it makes me want to be fiscally irresponsible.

good news is I get paid tomorrow, bad news is I am going to a cabin with my wife for the weekend (I guess thats not entirely bad)
    Sunday will be a trying day for me...

Man of Steel and The Last of Us this weekend. So I wont be busy trying to sway anyone with Darkfall.

Also, with all the positives I say... dont get it confused, the game STILL has grind. Its just that grind no longer puts people light years ahead where its impossible to catch up without AFK macroing. And macroing for skills is no longer possible. The current system only puts you a few weeks behind people on your main role, I just want to clarify an actual tedious grind is still very much there. But its made entertaining with the danger of some poopsocker coming along and chopping your head off to take all your shit. I better stop now, since I might start saying why the grind is also a really fun part.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    considering ragnarok online was my first mmo and i loved it to death, I am absolutely fine with grinds, hell I find grinding entertaining in sandbox mmos exactly because of the random people you encounter in the middle of nowhere

Eh, watching those videos took a lot of wind out of my sails.

It needs more time. It's got some neat idea's, and it looks right up my alley (I could rebirth my UO assassin!), but...

It just looks like it needs more time.

edited June 2013
    Unfourtunately for Adventurine, more time means some real deal sandbox competitors will be out. Sure I'm enjoying DF, but if Archeage and/or Black Desert pan out... DF is done.

If you dont watch the whole thing... at least skip to 6:12 for the castle siege part...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SNFSw107MQs

Still just a video though, so who knows at this point. I remember Mortal Online had preview videos long before its alpha and it look absolutely amazing... then somehow even to this day it looks nothing like those early teasers. This black desert one does have what looks like actual gameplay though, minus a GUI. So ya, if a sandbox PVP game like that works out I can't imagine DF lasting at all. Most the hardcore DF fans are already hyping up for Archeage.

Badwrong on

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    I'm always sceptical when there's no UI. Plus lots of people running around wildly till they get in a fight, then standing there whacking on a dude.

It just looks like they plunked a bunch of AI bots in a map and followed them around with the camera.

That aside, thank you @badwrong. That looks awesome, and now I must trundle off into the internet to find out more.

I'm always sceptical when there's no UI. Plus lots of people running around wildly till they get in a fight, then standing there whacking on a dude.

It just looks like they plunked a bunch of AI bots in a map and followed them around with the camera.

That aside, thank you @badwrong. That looks awesome, and now I must trundle off into the internet to find out more.

Ya I'm very skeptical as well. Same with the little clip of ESO and its castle siege. There were HUNDREDS of people shown in that and it looked amazing, but there is nothing to say it wasn't just a swarm of AI dudes that we see in Total War games or something.

However, the Mount and Blade series has shown it can be done on some pretty big scales... and that game doesn't exactly run on super powerful MMO servers. Planetside 2, also very good proof that large scale MMO PVP is still growing. I still play PS2 a little bit each week and the smooth gameplay I get considering the size of some fights is just amazing. Can these new niche MMOs pull it off though, dunno...

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    edited June 2013
    Here, one of the better summaries of the upcoming sandbox MMOs:
    Also not mentioned in the video, is Earthrise which I currently have alpha/beta access to... and uhh ya they are still trying to make that thing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QHO2EMo5NZE

Badwrong on

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Heh, I remembered when the PA forums were promised a guaranteed guild beta invite for this.

In 2005.

Echo wrote: »
    Heh, I remembered when the PA forums were promised a guaranteed guild beta invite for this.

In 2005.

Hahahahahaha lolwut.

488W936.png
    hahaha adventurine is so awful, they probably wouldn't even know what that is if someone asked them about guild beta.

The only reason I praise the game even, is because its the best of its kind right now. Mortal Online is the only thing close to it and thats a pile of trash.
    Darkfall plays smoothly and has open world, full loot pvp and is balanced very well. That's about it though... the upcoming sandbox MMOs that are more AAA will surely kill it instantly.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Kai_SanKai_San Commonly known as Klineshrike! Registered User regular
    Woah I saw this thread on the front page and wondered what happened. I remember seeing this game upon release and it was the ugliest thing I ever laid eyes on.

Some of these vids make it look pretty. Like legit pretty. I guess they really got a lot accomplished.

I am surprised a game of this type (hardcore pvp with loss) survived with a purchase and sub. Thats crazy. To me darkfall was a bunch of people wanting to bring back what Asheron's Call Darktide was like. If the game is still going now, and from what I see in the vids, I guess they succeeded.

Unfortunately as I am not 17 years old and in highschool I do not think I could ever play something like this again. But it was nice to come in here and see that it actually exists.

• SkrooSkroo Registered User regular
    Most of my playtime lately has been GW WvW. I'm interested in the large scale pvp in Darkfall. Is there a PA forum clan in game? If not, anyone know a good clan for a 42 year old dad with a real job? Haven't decided for sure to buy this but I am finally letting go of my WoW sub after 9 years so what the hell ... could be.