As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Darkfall] Now with More Wang!!

• vhzodvhzod Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    As soon as I get the game I'll be in with you guys.

vhzod on
  • CapuanoCapuano Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    You mean once you chill in the queue for an hour or so.

edit: XOCentric and I are sitting in PA vent.

Capuano on
    1372374-1.png
    Starcraft 2: jawaka.947
  • XOCentricXOCentric Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Yeah, but if you manage to grab only one or two, it's pretty easy. Pelting them with mana missile while they close in softens them up a good bit. It's just that grabbing only one or two is hard as balls to do.

Good point by Cap here. If you manage to pull a single mob they arent very difficult, depending on your skill level. Goblins not so much.

However, as Cap stated above, the mobs are line-of-sight. We are not sure if they run and pull aggro with their buddies yet.

(Cap and I have been grinding out gobbos as you can tell.)

To all you other PAers wanting to get started. Contact one of us in-game or better yet tell us your in-game name on here. We have contacts with a larger guild whom have been acting as our patron until we can get our own up and running. We wont disclose names or locations over the forums though. Also, you'll need to roll Human, Dwarf or Mirdain (elf) if you want to come with us any time soon. Our location is off-limits to the other 3 races and you would have a hell of a time getting there if you pick anything else. We intend on being our own guild (Broodax Imperiate) and will be allied with a large alliance for mutual defense.

XOCentric on
    steam: xo_centric uplay: xocentric
  • Zero-ControlZero-Control Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Magitek wrote: »
    In my post I did mention the slider; but there's no difference between grey and red: that's what I was complaining about.
    I was effectively screwed because the only way I could kill a racial enemy was by running around naked and hoping to run into something I could actually take down.. aka not much.

Mobs do not affect alignment as far as i could tell, I killed 3 or 4 goblins from -2.0 and it didn't budge for me..

Ah I guess I didnt understand. Yeah I could see how that would be frustrating if you had just started.

There are chaos stones around the different areas where you will get sent to and you can work out of till you get yourself back in business. It does work, but it takes a lot longer to go back to good alignment vs how fast you can go down. As I said once you get setup with a clan its a non issue mostly.

Zero-Control on
    (League of Legends Summoner: Zero Control)

yourzeero.png
    edited March 2009
    I feel like I should mention this map. It's got a ton of information on it, and it's user run so report things you find to flesh it out some more.

http://www.afraidyet.net/forums/misc.php?do=page&template=Darkfall_Map

Capuano on
    1372374-1.png
  • ArghyArghy Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Capuano wrote: »
    I feel like I should mention this map. It's got a ton of information on it, and it's user run so report things you find to flesh it out some more.

http://www.afraidyet.net/forums/misc.php?do=page&template=Darkfall_Map

If you guys arent aflar or are aflar and still want to fight the goon city is at player city 5 on that map called mar shral, we are always hankering for a fight so if your ever bored and want some action feel free to come on by but i warn you once roused we tend to kill everything. I've found that most players get really frustrated with the game until their first pvp experience at which point they cant get enough- if you get a solid group of 10 you can prolly kill a few of us before we all respond, we just got a huge supply of stuff built so expect everyone in nice gear if you kill them(made a retarded amount of arrows because i had nothing better to do).

It gets pretty crazy how boring it can be but lucky us we've had a few groups come in and try to kill our macros- the more the merrier, if you guys ever get bored feel free to post what city your around so i can direct our roving gangs there.

Arghy on
    Ask me about the holocaust.
    edited March 2009
    Haha it's not every day you get a civilized offer to go butt heads with people. I'm sure we will eventually meet up in game, unfortunately there's usually only myself and one other of us around at any given time.

Until we get the numbers and we get up and running we won't be going too far from home.

That being said, we still get a good amount of kills for being so tiny.

XOCentric on
    edited March 2009
    In an attempt to make this thread more like the official darkfall forums I am going to post what I think is wrong with the game without actually having played it.

1. Magic seems to be too expensive to raise

2. All magic attacks seem to be aoe which seems kind of dumb

3. The alignment flagging system was made to be griefed. I mean could you have made it any worse.

4. Free loot in pve? I mean seriously. This little problem has been fixed for longer than mmos have been in existance. There's absolutely no reason to have free loot in pve.

5. From what I've read about mounted combat there doesn't seem to be much incentive to use it. The mounts aren't that much faster than a sprinting unmounted player and the damage bonus isn't that great. And apparently you can't even use polearms you have to use 1handed weapons.

6. Heavy armor is better than light armor without the penalties for heavy armor being really noticable. Furthermore its actually more expensive to get light armor right now because you have to leave the noob towns to actually get the leather to make it.

7. Players can't build houses anywhere they want and there's a pretty dismally small number of city building sites. City buildings are only minorly functional. You need a city to build siege weapons to capture other cities so people without cities have a natural disadvantage to actually getting a city.

I'm sure I can think of more to bitch about later on.

vhzod on
    edited March 2009
    1. Magic seems to be too expensive to raise

Magic IS expensive to raise, but this is only compared to WOW-type MMOs where magic is related to your level. Anyone familiar with UO will be happy with the system. It is also not that overpowered considering the better spells eat a lot of regs and mana.
    2. All magic attacks seem to be aoe which seems kind of dumb

They are not ALL AoE. I quite frequently have spells splash by my feet and cause no effects.
    3. The alignment flagging system was made to be griefed. I mean could you have made it any worse.

I can't disagree with you except to say that if you're dumb enough to swing all willy-nilly around people you don't know, even when you know about AoE flagging you and such, then it's your fault. Once you've been greyed a few times and ran enough to have the timer wear off, you will appreciate it. However, there are currently fuckholes who group up naked and take turns swinging at AFKers in towns to whittle their health down. Theres no penalties for looting blues yet, which would alleviate this. UO had the good system where you could loot your blue group mates.
    4 Free loot in pve? I mean seriously. This little problem has been fixed for longer than mmos have been in existance. There's absolutely no reason to have free loot in pve.

This is not a problem in my opinion. It worked very well for UO and it's got a home here. This game isn't gear-based so you dont have to worry about Jim Newguy stealing that precious goblin axe from your kills. Also, if you are really pissed just hop in front of his attacks and grey-kill him to get those 5 gold pieces back from that scalliwag.
    5. From what I've read about mounted combat there doesn't seem to be much incentive to use it. The mounts aren't that much faster than a sprinting unmounted player and the damage bonus isn't that great. And apparently you can't even use polearms you have to use 1handed weapons.

Mounts ARE faster and mounted combat is very usefull. Just line 5 or 6 guys up and ride past a guy like a train. Only your train has sharp bits swinging around. They also have attacks of their own, I have personally mount-butted 2 guys way better equipped than me to death.
    6. Heavy armor is better than light armor without the penalties for heavy armor being really noticable. Furthermore its actually more expensive to get light armor right now because you have to leave the noob towns to actually get the leather to make it.

You will have to leave the noob towns eventually, but just like leaving the womb, you will eventually stop crying about it. (intended to be funny, not directed at you as sarcasm at all, but also very true) You want to get to a player city asap, the noob towns are full of assholery like you wouldn't believe.
    7. Players can't build houses anywhere they want and there's a pretty dismally small number of city building sites. City buildings are only minorly functional. You need a city to build siege weapons to capture other cities so people without cities have a natural disadvantage to actually getting a city.

There are quite a few player cities and smaller hamlet sites. Unfortunately they were all snatched within the first few days of launch. So buck up and join a clan, because if you don't you will have a very hard time staying alive. This is not a solo-friendly game at all. Both from the roving PKs and the fact that even the simplest mobs are organized and smarter than your regular mmo mob by far.

XOCentric on
  • Darius BlackDarius Black Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Magic SHOULD be hard and expensive to raise. It makes it seem like a much more prestigious profession when only the best become full-fledged mages. You know, like in all classic fantasy stories. And the magic attacks work better as a small AOE in my opinion - you just have to watch where you shoot them.

The alignment system is not perfect, but is the best I've seen and fits the theme of the game perfectly.

Free loot just adds another facet to the dog-eat-dog kinda game this is. Everything is a competition. The game is not always fair; it wasn't designed to be.

Mounted combat is very effective for chasing people down and murdering them, among other things. Believe me, I know this firsthand...

Do you know how much it costs to make a set of full plate? I do. I'm an armorsmith. It's a fuckton more than chain.

There is a bit of a shortage on cities, though. But a system where you could build a house or city anywhere you wanted would be a terrible idea, for obvious reasons.

Darius Black on
    Quick, quiet, confident
    Comfortable, permanent
    Undisputed, every tense
    Not a trace of what went left
    More equal than the best
    Unparalleled success
    Everybody, V-impressed
    edited March 2009
    Wearing a full set of plate is pretty much like carrying a massive sign that says "Kill me and loot my corpse NOW, please." With that and the cost, I would say the burden is there, just in a different form.

Capuano on
    1372374-1.png
  • snapsnap Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Question: is there a snooping/stealing skill in this? I never had more fun in UO than when I was a thief. I used to steal from people, thank them for x item, and then take off running. If they attacked me, I had my magery high enough to drain them down slowly with poison. So many hilarious stories.

snap on
    edited March 2009
    There's not a flat out thievery skill. Your thievery is only as good as you are at stealing someone's loot off a mob, I suppose. That alone makes for plenty of interesting encounters.

Capuano on
    1372374-1.png
    edited March 2009
    Another point of interest is that there is no pseudo insta-stealth that makes you invisible. You actually have to make use of the foliage and terrain as well as crouch walking to sneak up on people. Combine this with a 90 degree fps field of view (unless you have weapon drawn and then its slightly more) and it makes for some awesome PvP.

XOCentric on
    edited March 2009
    Multiple people in my guild have gotten elemental magic, firebolt was doing 35-40 damage and air is doing 25 at level 1. They can now solo because even the strongest mobs cant withstand that much damage for long. You cannot pvp without a mount these days because your target will either have a mount themselves and use it or you will be run down by superior numbers with absolutely no hope to get away.

Arghy on
  • vatoreusvatoreus Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I still can't believe how solid of a game they managed to put out. I'm not saying it's perfect by any means, but it soars above the cries of "Vaporware" over the years. It works, albeit with some aggravating circumstances, but what MMO has ever been flawless?

Did they bungle a lot? Yes.

Have they seemed to somewhat recover and working very quickly to fixing these issues? I'd like to think so and my perception has been one of a pretty solid game that I don't mind paying my money into.

Once they start selling more copies and open some more servers, I HIGHLY suggest this game to anybody that's been wanting a good PvP game that plays well.

vatoreus on
    edited March 2009
    I will be happy when I can player.....going on 6th hour in queue..... hooray!

i would never log out if it weren't for my nvidia driver crash, cant win em all i gues...maybe its my screenie, ill turn of my screensavers and see

Zero-Control on

yourzeero.png
    edited March 2009

jesus ya'll keep getting screwed by this... I've honestly never waited more than an hour or 1.5 hours in queue.

vatoreus on
    edited March 2009
    vatoreus wrote: »

jesus ya'll keep getting screwed by this... I've honestly never waited more than an hour or 1.5 hours in queue.

well let me know your secret....probably just timing.

Here, logout and login right now and lets see what happens.

Zero-Control on

yourzeero.png
  • GalielmusGalielmus Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Arghy wrote: »
    Multiple people in my guild have gotten elemental magic, firebolt was doing 35-40 damage and air is doing 25 at level 1. They can now solo because even the strongest mobs cant withstand that much damage for long. You cannot pvp without a mount these days because your target will either have a mount themselves and use it or you will be run down by superior numbers with absolutely no hope to get away.

Strange, I suddenly see grinding magic missile in my dubious future. Dubious only because, seriously, when the hell will I get an account and be able to play?! :P

Galielmus on
  • king awesomeking awesome Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    So is there anyway to try this game w/o paying up front? Also, what are the prices for the game/subscription? I looked around the site but couldn't find that info.

king awesome on
    Bigsushi.fm
    Listen to our podcast, read our articles, tell us how much you hate it and how to make it better ;)
    edited March 2009
    So is there anyway to try this game w/o paying up front? Also, what are the prices for the game/subscription? I looked around the site but couldn't find that info.

Not as yet no, and probably not for quite some time. There is one server up, and it has 30min - hours long queue times until they upgrade their server farm. This would be exacerbated by another 100,000 free players.

Game is 40euros roughly, 50some USD and 65ish CDN (QQ for me). Sub is 12ish euros, 15ish USD and 20CDN a month (QQ again). I say "ish" because Im too lazy to actually go check my rates. Also, I am resting in game and typing this really quick.

XOCentric on
  • fallaxdracofallaxdraco Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I've decided I will try this out - I have really really wanted a multiplayer Morrowind for years, and now that something similar is out I will put my money where my mouth is. As soon as they'll take my money, anyway. :P

fallaxdraco on
    edited March 2009
    vatoreus wrote: »

well let me know your secret....probably just timing.

Here, logout and login right now and lets see what happens.

hoho! tricksy devil you be! I'm at work anyway, am I still online? I hope so cuz I wanna just play when I get home lol

vatoreus on
    edited March 2009
    I was all set to buy it on thursday when they stopped selling it. Now I have to study for an A&P test for tuesday evening.

I'd like to see them do something janky with mounted combat like lance couching from Mount and Blade. I want to imagine the fighting like a Total War game.

vhzod on
    edited March 2009
    I want to imagine the fighting like a Total War game.

You're not far off, if you substitute horses for warpigs and such and the Carthiginans for... umm... orks?

When large warfare starts happening once more people get in, the battles will be EPIC.

Today, our naked gatherers got rolled by a 30 strong group, they got bored of spawn killing once they realized we had banked our loot first. So they rolled out to a friendly city to repeat. Only what really happened is we got on the squak box and gave our ally a heads up. So instead of catching our buddies with their dicks in their hands, they got caught between a larger force and the 2 groups of reinforcements we rolled up.

It was E-P-I-C. The only part that sucked was the 25 minute walk to get in position, and we barely went 4 or 5 grids over.

XOCentric on
    edited March 2009
    XOCentric wrote: »
    I want to imagine the fighting like a Total War game.

You're not far off, if you substitute horses for warpigs and such and the Carthiginans for... umm... orks?

When large warfare starts happening once more people get in, the battles will be EPIC.

Today, our naked gatherers got rolled by a 30 strong group, they got bored of spawn killing once they realized we had banked our loot first. So they rolled out to a friendly city to repeat. Only what really happened is we got on the squak box and gave our ally a heads up. So instead of catching our buddies with their dicks in their hands, they got caught between a larger force and the 2 groups of reinforcements we rolled up.

It was E-P-I-C. The only part that sucked was the 25 minute walk to get in position, and we barely went 4 or 5 grids over.

man...all the cool shit happens when I'm at work... :(

vatoreus on
    edited March 2009
    Hahaha my guildie was jacking mounts at the wessex city today he stole friggin 9 in a row. Near the goon city theres this fire dragon spawn but its always been pretty far away, it looks absolutely kickass but i've only ever seen it in this one small area. So i'm heading for the toolchest on my looted horse then i see this weird shadow on the ground- i figured the trees prolly fucked up again but as i look up the fucking dragon is flying overhead!!!! its like 3 squares from his normal area and hes just flying perfectly overhead. He dident attack me so i'm not sure if he does but fucking hell he was really close to our goddamn city! i could just imagine mining some stone laughing then getting my ass roasted as a fire dragon circles overhead hahaha.

The magic grind is pretty goddamn horrid- choose what school you want and start stock piling now, save that bone, ash and mandrake because you'll go through around 2k of each getting greater magic to 50, i've nearly gone through 500 bone and i'm only at 15.4 GM. I'm personally going water myself but multiple people are now going into the elemental schools with 2 going spell chanting.

Arghy on
  • DraevenDraeven Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    are there other schools of magic besides the elements ?

Draeven on
    Morskitter wrote "Spikes, choppas, tentacles, magic? Can't hold a candle to Sergeant Pimp here."

• EllthiterenEllthiteren Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    First you go Lesser --> Greater.
    At 25 Greater Magic you can do either Spellchanting --> Arcane or Witchcraft --> Necromancy.
    At 50 Greater Magic you can also choose two of Fire, Earth, Air, Water (but not two opposing ones).

Ellthiteren on
  • fallaxdracofallaxdraco Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Does anyone know when they are going to open up sales again exactly? I really want to try it out.

fallaxdraco on
    edited March 2009
    They said that they would upgrade their server cluster and open sales early this week. It's still pissing me off, though, how vague their customer support is and how bad this release is - small company or not.

Capuano on
    1372374-1.png
    edited March 2009
    They said that they would upgrade their server cluster and open sales early this week. It's still pissing me off, though, how vague their customer support is and how bad this release is - small company or not.

i dont honestly think its going to get any better either, they are going to take twice as long to fix stuff as normal folks

Zero-Control on

yourzeero.png
  • AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    A pity this game is so expensive (and near unavailable to get). This thread keeps posting stories of how awesome and UO-like this game is.

Aegis on
    We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
    edited March 2009
    A pity this game is so expensive (and near unavailable to get). This thread keeps posting stories of how awesome and UO-like this game is.

Yes it is more expensive than your average MMO for sure, but this is because it is not an average game at all.

Here's another story to satiate even the most hardcore hater's rage:

After some routine hunting of mobs I decided to go bank some loot (you will learn the hard way not to let your loot bag get too full and juicy). I roll into town and put my shinies in the bank when I read "hostiles in town" in the clan chat. I ask where but immediately get a sound byte of combat off to my West, so I cut through the keep in that direction, allowing me eyes-on the intruder. He cuts around a corner into another of the keeps doors and runs upstairs where we find him trying to desperately kill a macro-er (yeah they said macroers would get kicked, but it's really a case of 100's if not 1000's and there's no end to it). I shoot him point blank with my bow as another friend mount-butts him in the side of the head soon killing him. Unfortunately most stealth raiders come in buck naked and this one was no different.

Apparently this little bout of bloodshed got one of our resident Red's (PKer) urge to kill rising so he asked if anyone wanted to go on a "patrol". I had never been on a "patrol" so I mounted up and follow him out of town. Now let me tell you, patrolling is definetely what we were doing. I felt like an old-timey scout riding around the lords fiefdom looking for ne'er-do-wells and scalliwags. I say this because the terrain is extremely varied, exciting to ride through and also completely MASSIVE. The map is broken up into grids if you look at it long enough and each grid takes 10-15min to ride through. And there are hundreds of grids to explore.

We rode for quite some time, performing listening halts every couple minutes (sound travels quite a distance and you can hear gatherers or hunters from a ways away). Eventually on a listening halt we heard some combat over yonder hills. We dismounted and crouch walked very slowly towards the sound, using terrain and patience to mask our approach. I stayed back, essentially watching the watchers back and he confirmed a ripe hunting party of 7 or 8 poor souls. We radioed (messaged on clan chat) the coordinates and pulled back until they got there.

Unfortunately as we came back to get eyes on a second time they had left. What we had failed to notice the first time was they had posted a sentry a ways away on another hill who had apparently spotted our peep show and cut the plug on our murderous intents. We saw him making a run for it solo (draw distances are incredibly long, like really, really long).

Unlucky for us on that outing, but hopefully it illuminates some of the possibilities and tactics that are happening every hour in this game. We didn't get any kills and it was one of the most tense and amusing experiences I've had in a game to date.

Hope to see more PAers make it in. Remember if you want to roll with us we are Dwarf, Human or Mirdain (elf).

XOCentric on
    edited March 2009
    How is it expensive? It's thirteen USD a month. It's already cheaper than WoW.

Capuano on
    1372374-1.png
  • AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009

Heard 20$ CDN a month.

Aegis on
    Characters
    edited March 2009
    Capuano wrote:

Heard 20$ CDN a month.

Yeah for us canucks its $19.Something a month. Trust me when I say there are FAR worse things to spend a 20 on.

There's a reason I keep plugging the game. It's not flawless but it's definetely far more interesting than another fucking level grind with an "end game". There's no shitty instanced safe zones, no phat uber loots either. My sick meds got me wonky but in all honestly, I wouldn't recommend a game I didn't think was worth my time.

If you miss the pre-trammel UO where you lived by the seat of your pants and the help of a few good friends, where there was no room for carebear circle jerks, and where you can punchisize someones face in if they act like fuckholes, then Darkfall is worth every penny. It's about skill letting you make the choices about how you play the game instead of putting you on a level rail through a fantasy amusement park.

XOCentric on
    edited March 2009
    I've been reading the wiki and some guides and the like. It looks rather fun. Is it true that the mobs in the game will, if left alone, eventually form together into larger groups on their own and then eventually attack player cities? Because that sounds kickass.

Aegis on
    Characters
    edited March 2009
    Aegis wrote: »
    I've been reading the wiki and some guides and the like. It looks rather fun. Is it true that the mobs in the game will, if left alone, eventually form together into larger groups on their own and then eventually attack player cities? Because that sounds kickass.

Not sure if they've actually implemented this or not. We don't have too much too worry about though, as we go out and thin the forces of the goblin and elemental encampments right outside our doors pretty much non-stop. :)

vatoreus on