As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Darkfall] Now with More Wang!!

• XOCentricXOCentric Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Not sure if they've actually implemented this or not. We don't have too much too worry about though, as we go out and thin the forces of the goblin and elemental encampments right outside our doors pretty much non-stop.

I'm going to elaborate on this and say that we fucking MURDER everything within a couple mile radius of our city. I like to imagine that the local goblin parents tell horror stories to their little wide-eyed goblin children about how if they are not careful, they will die a horrible death and end up being diseccted (sp?) into their component parts for fun and profit.

That and a certain mob near us drops what we consider in our relatively new experience to be "phat wads" of cash.

I also read this grouping up and attacking phenom that was supposed to be in. Although it sounds amazing, I have yet to see it. This doesnt make it false, just that I have seen so very little of the entire game as of yet, although what I have seen has given me a lot of hope that they really did make an MMO I will play more than 4 or 5 months.

XOCentric on
    steam: xo_centric uplay: xocentric
  • TethTeth __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2009
    This discussion reminded me of this time back in UO when I spotted a hunting party of about five people on Fire Isle outside of my house, and I ICQ'd (oh shit going waaay back son) in the calvary and we waited until the perfect moment to bust out of the house naked and slaughter the poor bastards, removing from their persons any chance of making it home. One of them I shit you not stayed on that island for several days in his ghost rags, cursing me out everytime he came across me on my porch and I wouldn't gate him to a city. I finally left him on a small island, closing the gate before beating him to death and recalling home.

Christ I was a bastard. I'm buying this game.

Teth on
  • JNighthawkJNighthawk Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Man, I miss pre-trammel UO. I played it *hardcore.* I hope Darkfall survives, at least until I can actually get a copy.

JNighthawk on
    Game programmer
  • CapuanoCapuano Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    - Guard towers may no longer be parried. (Confirmed)
    - Nodes are now global (Confirmed - Beta players in game say less resources in any case, so either they lowered number, or it use to be instanced + global and now is just global. Expect higher prices for materials and final products. Expect fights over nodes. Expect city nodes to be constantly empty.)
    - Queues are much improved (semi-confirmed, will need to retest tonight)
    - Rigor no longer improves from Lava/Acid pools (confirmed)
    - Hitting mounts of same race will now turn you grey (confirmed)

Since Aventurine won't give us patch notes for some reason, people are figuring them out. People in this thread on the Darkfall forums are confirming/denying.

I am really freaking happy about the last two. Those were some serious problems that needed fixing. I haven't noticed that queue times are any better, to be honest.

Capuano on
    1372374-1.png
    Starcraft 2: jawaka.947
  • vatoreusvatoreus Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Teth wrote: »
    This discussion reminded me of this time back in UO when I spotted a hunting party of about five people on Fire Isle outside of my house, and I ICQ'd (oh shit going waaay back son) in the calvary and we waited until the perfect moment to bust out of the house naked and slaughter the poor bastards, removing from their persons any chance of making it home. One of them I shit you not stayed on that island for several days in his ghost rags, cursing me out everytime he came across me on my porch and I wouldn't gate him to a city. I finally left him on a small island, closing the gate before beating him to death and recalling home.

Christ I was a bastard. I'm buying this game.

hahaha

The only thing I wish you could do in this game is take people apart bit by bit and decorate your clan hall with hunks of flesh and blood.

vatoreus on
  • Zero-ControlZero-Control Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Capuano wrote: »
    - Nodes are now global (Confirmed - Beta players in game say less resources in any case, so either they lowered number, or it use to be instanced + global and now is just global. Expect higher prices for materials and final products. Expect fights over nodes. Expect city nodes to be constantly empty.)

Since Aventurine won't give us patch notes for some reason, people are figuring them out. People in this thread on the Darkfall forums are confirming/denying.

I am really freaking happy about the last two. Those were some serious problems that needed fixing. I haven't noticed that queue times are any better, to be honest.

Damn!! I came to post the notes, you beat me to it... :P

Well this is good news all around. I wish they would post this stuff!!!!! How hard would it be... they must be true, dedicated programmers. So busy coding and drinking Mountain Dew that they wont even bother to post notes or comment their code I bet. LOL

Zero-Control on
    (League of Legends Summoner: Zero Control)

yourzeero.png
    edited March 2009
    Latest news from AV:

The servers have been up and running for a few hours. We applied a patch that starts addressing the lag and sync issues some players were facing in the last few days during prime time.

We will also bring the servers down sometime tonight for a quick restart during which time we will enable increased capacity as a first step to improve the queue times.

In the next few days we'll keep increasing capacity and applying optimizations to further improve queue times and server performance. It's our goal to eventually eliminate queuing from the game.

We'll post more updates on this in the next couple of days, and we will monitor the situation closely before we offer more Darkfall copies.

Thank you,
    The Darkfall Team

Zero-Control on

yourzeero.png
  • EllthiterenEllthiteren Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Some sword/board changes too, you can block more quickly after swinging and swing more quickly after blocking. I shall shortly be challenging all of you 2H users to duels.

Ellthiteren on
  • ZoldenZolden Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    So I thought by today we might see them open up some more spots, but it doesn't seem like it is to be. It's been three weeks since launch now and I think it's safe to say only a small fraction of the interested playerbase able to buy it. If this hasn't given them enough cashflow to open up another world server cluster then how can we expect to see another anytime soon, since they've basically plateau'd on the player limit.

So basically it seems like they are going to be stuck where they are playerwise and financially. I'm still interested in trying the game but in a couple more weeks I think the majority of people like me are going to up and forget about it. At this point I'm sure everyone in the game is way advanced and this will make it harder and harder for newcomers..

Zolden on
    edited March 2009
    At 2300 GMT tonight, they said they're updating the server farms to allow more players.

vatoreus on
    edited March 2009

It looks like a lot of this info is wrong or questionable...

the mount is in question, the shield and one handers is in question.

Zero-Control on

yourzeero.png
  • The DipThe Dip Registered User new member
    edited March 2009
    I have a question about player-run cities. What stops a group of players from taking over an area once the owners have logged off for the night? Are there AI patrols of some kind, or simply "unscalable walls" or some rule preventing it?

The Dip on
    edited March 2009
    The Dip wrote: »
    I have a question about player-run cities. What stops a group of players from taking over an area once the owners have logged off for the night? Are there AI patrols of some kind, or simply "unscalable walls" or some rule preventing it?

Not 1 thing...

But its very hard to do, you require specific, and expensive, hard to craft, high level siege gear.

Zero-Control on

yourzeero.png
    edited March 2009
    The Dip wrote:
    Not 1 thing...

But its very hard to do, you require specific, and expensive, hard to craft, high level siege gear.

I'm going to elaborate saying that the siege process is a 6 hour process from what I've gleaned. You declare siege, then YOUR city is open to attack for 4 hours, if you manage to defend then you can go on the offensive and attack for the next 2, if you fail to destroy their clan stone in that time then the siege fails.

Now, the process for a non-citied clan to attack one that owns a city itself is different, apparently you have to front a sum of gold (don't know the amount) to wager that you can take a city. I would imagine this is large sum to offset a citied guild funding harassing attacks and not actually putting their city up for grabs.

**Disclaimer** This is all speculation from various information received and may be incorrect in some areas.

XOCentric on
  • Anon the FelonAnon the Felon In bat country.Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Is there any place online I can buy this and get in tonight? or am I just screwed for a while?

I'll slug through the bugs if I can join the PA guild and have people to hang with.

But at this point I just am confused as to if I can get this Direct to Drive and play, or have to wait months to actually play.

Anon the Felon on
  • KiTAKiTA Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    So what is this like? It sounds like it's skill based not class based? And what's this about it being somewhat Oblivion-like?

If I enjoyed UO or Asheron's Call, would this be something I should be interested in?

KiTA on
  • AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Sheesh, the official forums probably rival the rancidity of CAOD or the WoW forums.

Aegis on
    We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
    edited March 2009
    KiTA wrote: »
    So what is this like? It sounds like it's skill based not class based? And what's this about it being somewhat Oblivion-like?

If I enjoyed UO or Asheron's Call, would this be something I should be interested in?

In the strongest ways possible. It's like Oblivion/Morrowind in the sense that it's 3d, skill system RPG that has an interactive combat type. You click to attack and aim your shots yourself, no actual targeting like in DIKU style MMOs.

vatoreus on
  • vhzodvhzod Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    So I hear they did some major patching. Does the performance seem to be improved any?

vhzod on
    edited March 2009
    Honestly, the performance has been pretty good the whole way through since I started playing. The queue times are pretty awful and I'm not sure if they've tackled that yet or not. I'll check when I get home. Something that would really help though, if they had a timer for afk to get booted out. as it stands, people stay logged in to avoid queues, which make queues worse.

vatoreus on
  • snapsnap Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    what are the system requirements for this anyway?

snap on
    edited March 2009
    System requirements:
    Operating System: Windows XP, Vista
    Processor: 2.5GHz Pentium 4, or equivalent
    RAM: 1GB for Windows XP, 2GB for Windows Vista
    Graphics Card: 128MB PixelShader 2.0 support
    Hard Drive Space: 12 GB Free Space Minimum

I will add these to the first page as well under the faq.

Zero-Control on

yourzeero.png
    edited March 2009
    vhzod wrote: »
    So I hear they did some major patching. Does the performance seem to be improved any?

The actual game performance has always been very good.... that is as far as the graphic engine, client etc.

The issues the game has had performance wise were more server related. There were some intial sync and lag problems. With last nights work it looks like they tackled most of it.... of course we will see, the longer the server runs the better the chance for those errors to popup. But since the restart its the longest period of running without a glitch that I have seen.

Lag during primtime last night was minimal or non existent, and the queue was an hour for me at its longest point, and I cant be sure that it wasnt because I was timed out after getting a spot while I was away.

I had to requeue at about 10:30 pm est and I was back in the game in 15 min easy. HUGE improvement for queues.

I would expect to see a second server and sales coming in the next couple weeks, but we have heard nothing official on that yet.

The changes they made to nodes is also very good. Its already creating conflict over resoures, which is very fun, it was a driving force in EVE and will be in this game. We actually had to get out one of our rafts and sail around the ocean to find spots to fish because our cities zone was fished out. Pretty fun.

Zero-Control on

yourzeero.png
  • DystDyst Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I ran around farming iron this morning a bit away from the human city, mostly because the sync issues/spawn problems were making anything else impossible. I'm swimming across a stream as I hear combat noises and I start crawling and hiding til I find out where it's comming from. I see an armored guy fighting a few mobs but he's the same faction as me and I'm not ready to go red yet so I wait. I know his plan, take one of them down, run away, rest and come back, so I wait til he's downed a mob and he's at low life and I spring to action physically blocking his retreat as he's being pummeled with spells, 2 mins later I head back to bank with a mixed suit of scale/banded and a good load of arrows.

This game isn't ideal for soloing (which I usually love) but being an opportunist can be fun too!

Dyst on
  • FeldornFeldorn Mediocre Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    @Dyst I hope you feel lower than a bow-legged caterpillar. :P

Honestly though, thats funny, and I'm sure that guy you griefed was pissed.

Feldorn on
    edited March 2009
    Holy shit, I open Darkfall, click connect with my character, and BAM! I'm in, no queue at all. Yay!

vatoreus on
    edited March 2009
    vatoreus wrote: »

In the strongest ways possible. It's like Oblivion/Morrowind in the sense that it's 3d, skill system RPG that has an interactive combat type. You click to attack and aim your shots yourself, no actual targeting like in DIKU style MMOs.

So from an old school AC player... What's appealing?

Edit: Any reviews/previews/etc to read over? Character creation tutorial and the like?

KiTA on
  • fallaxdracofallaxdraco Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Damn, have the game installed and everything, just waiting for them to sell me access. I need to find some other game to play in the meantime!

fallaxdraco on
    edited March 2009
    Damn, have the game installed and everything, just waiting for them to sell me access. I need to find some other game to play in the meantime!

Is there a place to download the client early?

KiTA on
  • SatorigreenSatorigreen Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I kind of respect the fact, that they arn't just letting in thousands, upon thousands of players, right away.

It shows they actually care about the players, and actually care about putting out the best product they can.

Still, I wish they would hurry the fuck up and let some more people in.

I have been checking the shop like 8 times a day waiting for it to re-open for a week now.

I can't help but respect them though, for not overloading their systems, and creating an influx of more users than they can handle....

Satorigreen on
  • fallaxdracofallaxdraco Registered User regular
    edited March 2009

Yeah, I saw a torrent for the client somewhere on the Darkfall website. Can't find it now, for some reason. It only serves to taunt me, though, since without an account I still can't do anything.

fallaxdraco on
    edited March 2009

Yeah, I saw a torrent for the client somewhere on the Darkfall website. Can't find it now, for some reason. It only serves to taunt me, though, since without an account I still can't do anything.

I'm looking in stunned awe at a 8 gig torrent, that sound plausable?

KiTA on
  • CapuanoCapuano Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    So, as much as I enjoy this game and would like to get into it, I've decided that unsubscribing until the summer would be the best option for me. I just don't have the time to play this seriously. I've really got to focus on Uni. I don't really need to fuck up my full-ride over a video game, no matter how fun it is.

Good luck with the clan, guys!

Capuano on
    1372374-1.png
    Starcraft 2: jawaka.947
  • EllthiterenEllthiteren Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Yeah, 8gig torrent is right. And holy crap tonight was fun, nonstop combat for like two hours.

We'll miss ya Cap!

Ellthiteren on
  • SloSlo Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    So, as much as I enjoy this game and would like to get into it, I've decided that unsubscribing until the summer would be the best option for me. I just don't have the time to play this seriously. I've really got to focus on Uni. I don't really need to fuck up my full-ride over a video game, no matter how fun it is.

Good luck with the clan, guys!

SELL ME YOUR ACCOUNT! WWWWWWWWWAGH!

But seriously, you made the right choice.

Slo on
    edited March 2009
    vatoreus wrote: »

So from an old school AC player... What's appealing?

Edit: Any reviews/previews/etc to read over? Character creation tutorial and the like?

Aaanyone?

KiTA on
    edited March 2009
    edited March 2009
    OP needs community site links. I'd love to get an idea of the crafting / dungeons / etc in this.

KiTA on
    edited March 2009
    Huh. There's city building?

Yes, there is city building. There are numerous city locations across the map as well as smaller hamlets. Each city or hamlet has a pre-set layout of building locations but it is up to the guilds to decide which buildings to construct and when.

You start by collection the materials (wood, rock, and gold) and then processing the wood into timber on a crafting bench (woodcutting skill req'd). You take the necessary amounts and begin to construct building "modules" (construction skill req'd, expensive to buy). You use different amounts of modules to construct buildings. There are resource generating buildings, shops, trainers, walls, towers, houses to expand your city bind cap, harbours to build ships, ect ect. Unfortunately they haven't gotten fucking gates in yet, which is really ridiculous and allows for any number of enemies to come rolling through town at any point.
    8gig torrent is right

Yeah they torrent is huge so if you plan on eventually playing I suggest DLing now to save yourself the misery of waiting a night when you could be playing the game the day you get your account.

Also, whatever they are doing to the server seems to be working. My queue times are down to 15min or so during NA prime time and lag seems to be leveling out.

**POINT OF INTEREST** Last night because of some backstabbery and underhandedness, we (the few PA guys already in game under a patron super cool guild) were subject to a MASSIVE incursion from previously "friendly" guilds allied with some of our most hated enemies. They seem to both be vying for our city like hungry jackals. We successfully fought back a giant attack with a much smaller force for over 2 hours. There were some casualties but more than a few of us made it through the entire battle alive and victorious in my mind.

What I can say: It was THE BEST EXPERIENCE I'VE EVER HAD IN A MMO, PERIOD. There were calvary charges, archers firing off falls and between crenelations, magic flying all over, shield walls at choke points that worked, counter attacks, triage centers, shooting mounts out from under riders, pincer attacks, epic defenses on the roof of the keep, strategic relocation and more. It was cinematic, epicly awesome, emotional and it topped off with us regaining the front walls and firing at them as they retreated out the keep and back through the gates in a giant calvary line. I can definitively say that it was amazing and only more so because it wasn't instance, scripted or otherwise created by any artificial mechanic; it was purely user-generated excellence within the sandbox freeform environment.

That is all.

XOCentric on
    edited March 2009
    So if I'm anticipating playing with other Penny Arcadians, is there anything I should know? I imagine playing as a Dark El... er... Alfar of Nagast would be a bad idea due to the factions thing?

KiTA on