As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Darkfall] Now with More Wang!!

• DyvionDyvion Back in Sunny Florida!!Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    KiTA wrote: »
    So their servers just turned into a melting pile of slag, did they open it up for sales again?

The news page said there would be a patch today before the store opened.

e: And now it says they will not be opening the store today due to an unforeseen issue. but the patch is still on.

Dyvion on
    Steam: No Safety In Life
    PSN: Dyvion -- Eternal: Dyvion+9393 -- Genshin Impact: Dyvion
  • Eff-ehEff-eh Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Hey guys, check out my Darkfall story
    My clan mate and I set out from Ondmark looking for some trouble. We came upon 2-3 Duchy of Wessex guys, and came out of the engagement with two full sets of gear and two mounts, from nakedness. Not too bad! But they were.

This massive victory whet our appetites, so we banked a bit of the gear and rode over to the Long March to see what was up.

As we entered the zone we were instantly barraged with a wall of bad RP in Public. It was basically some duchy guy questioning "Auros" who I assume is Darkfall God or something, I don't know. We chilled out and listened for a while. This priest was giving him shit and it seemed pretty heated. For those who are interested, I'll include this RP, but:

1) It's long
    2) It's not vital to the story
    3) It's like a really bad fantasy novel

Anyway here it is.

http://img15.imageshack.us/img15/1851/prerp1.jpg
    http://img9.imageshack.us/img9/1817/prerp2.jpg
    http://img5.imageshack.us/img5/6415/prerp3.jpg
    http://img211.imageshack.us/img211/7775/prerp4.jpg

I told my clanmate to unsummon my mount, because I wanted to move in for a closer look. I launched up on to the wall to look for somebody vulnerable. There was a naked macroing a spell I didn't recognize, so I was going to kill him to take his reagents.

But then a more profitable opportunity presented itself.

I saw a guy named Reisz Waldgrin in full banded sitting on a mount in the courtyard. If you read the RP, you will know he was the one "questioning Auros." I then formed a genius plan. Fail ensues:

http://img25.imageshack.us/my.php?image=praiseauros2.jpg

tl;dr

Some wessex guys were roleplaying in public at the long march. I infiltrated the city, lured the most geared one outside by pretending to be a dumb roleplayer, and murdered him, thus proving for all time that I am a god and that roleplaying is for sissies.

If this doesn't convince you all the game is good I don't know what will.

Eff-eh on
  • GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Polished gameplay?

:v

[edit] Oh god damnit, this is like the 4th totp this week, and always when I don't bother quoting.

Glal on
  • Eff-ehEff-eh Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Now you just look silly! Another victory for Darkfall.

Eff-eh on
  • ArghyArghy Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Hahahahaha that was you? i was just laughing at that not 4 minutes ago! those RPers came into mar shral and started doing some role playing stuff like boxing in a naked with 3 dudes with shields and wearing shirts/pants under their armor to confuse people looting. I dont see why anyone sides with those guys, if they win what will the server become? mandatory RPing? atleast under goon rule you know we wont bother to enforce any sort of rules once its all over(maybe a furry holocaust i cant make any promises).

I love how the economy is peaking now, it was unstable as hell at first but once everyone got their spells and skills it begins to even out into this extremely productive market. Once the game stays out for awhile its going to have a very interesting market that could very well rival eves if its managed properly and they add some variety to player made items. The universal armor was a horrible idea, it should be chain/banded/plate for everyone then different racial armor types with its own strengths and weaknesses. Give every race its own unique armor sets with different stats and looks, ork/alfar/human/mirdain/dwarf/furry chain/banded/scale/plate/racial.

There should be a reason besides RPing to get your racial armor- alfar would be lightest with higher then average magic resistance where orks would have the best melee protection with higher then average arrow protection. Make the armors suited to the racial areas- light green for midain, dark green/grey for orks, light brown for humans, light grey for aflar, white/gray for dwarves and black for furrys.

Arghy on
    Ask me about the holocaust.
  • KiTAKiTA Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Store opening in 2 and a half hours.

KiTA on
  • The Sneak!The Sneak! Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I'm still not sure if I care or not. It looks like something I would like to try, but it also looks like something I would hate.

The Sneak! on
  • darkmayodarkmayo Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    ha, hilarious.

If I had more time I would be tempted to give this a go.

darkmayo on
    Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
    edited April 2009
    Store in 15 minutes.

KiTA on
    edited April 2009
    Store... not up? Should be right about now? Hm?

KiTA on
    edited April 2009
    It's up now, I just purchased it... I fail at self control.

Dyvion on
    edited April 2009
    It's up and I got my copy. Warning: The Subscription page still looks "down" but if you scroll down, there's an option to buy the client.

KiTA on
    edited April 2009
    So I go to log in, and start patching... and it won't patch because it needs 9 gigs to patch... but there's 30 gigs free on the drive, so I do some hunting around and discover there is a registry problem with a flag that doesn't get reset when it checks for drive space... so I delete that registry entry and go to patch, and get the same problem with the 9 gigs... so I've uninstalled and now I'm downloading the files again because I deleted them after I installed it because I figured it would just patch itself no problems.

I get -1 internets for today.

Dyvion on
  • bigbadbobbigbadbob Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Just made my human character, his name is Bob hutmere. Look him up
    See you in the game

bigbadbob on
    soldersig.jpg
    Candy Is dandy, But liquor Is quicker
    edited April 2009
    So we have a good guild and an evil guild? Or are we good and the goons evil (and like EVE, we're allied?)

KiTA on
    edited April 2009

So Windows VISTA noticed an update for this Darkfall and asked to update it?

... The. HELL?

KiTA on
    edited April 2009
    So apparently if I wanted to play this today I should have started patching (I already downloaded it weeks back) ... yesterday sometime. 170M patch for the patcher and another 510M just for one data file.

KiTA on
    edited April 2009
    Have a Mirdain named Dyvion Stumpthumper. (loose back story of being a tree stump percussionist)

Gonna get my bearings before I seek anyone out.

Dyvion on
    edited April 2009
    So we have a good guild and an evil guild? Or are we good and the goons evil (and like EVE, we're allied?)

Atm the PA guild is a member of the hyperion alliance the current largest alliance on the server, they are made up of mostly human/mirdain/dwarf guilds and represent the bulk of the RPers/good guys on the server. The goons head the coalition of the chilling(CC) an alliance formed to attempt to counter hyperions numbers, seeing as we often give guilds a choice of 'join or die' we are most likely the evil guys hehe.

Hyperion first started the arms race by tipping the balance of the north western alliances, causing goons/CC to aid or absorb most of the guilds up there, atm its a stalemate as hyperion has moved to easier pickings of yssam(north eastern) where they won multiple decisive victorys of the powers there. Now they have absorbed one side of the alliances fighting there and the CC has absorbed the defeated guilds. CC reacted by utterly undermining the eastern alliance(forest republic) then absorbing its remains, the current fight is CC absorbing the NE mainland alliance(savage alliance) with the majority half joining hyperion. This has caused the remaining undecided guilds and alliances to join with either force with most of them siding with hyperion(rainbow/serenity now/themercs).

The island of rubaiyat is firmly behind the CC due to the fact that their RPers and hate non alfar guilds(awful company is pure alfar only) but the island of cairn is ruled by a powerful alliance called the cairn alliance, its never been to unified by now their being pressured to choose sides. On one side they like CC but hate some of its members(goons/KGB) but they also loathe to be allied with the RPers, their movers are mostly staying neutral but recently LotD have made aggressive moves towards CC and began openly siding with hyperion, no wants to bother with their island because its shit to assault and the other side would be sure to strike.

Eventually its going to blow up into open siege warfare with multiple sieges going on at the same time- citys will burn and the entire future of EU-1 will be decided(hopefully NA opens up so what ever happens we all win).

Arghy on
  • vatoreusvatoreus Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Arghy wrote: »

Atm the PA guild is a member of the hyperion alliance the current largest alliance on the server, they are made up of mostly human/mirdain/dwarf guilds and represent the bulk of the RPers/good guys on the server. The goons head the coalition of the chilling(CC) an alliance formed to attempt to counter hyperions numbers, seeing as we often give guilds a choice of 'join or die' we are most likely the evil guys hehe.

Hyperion first started the arms race by tipping the balance of the north western alliances, causing goons/CC to aid or absorb most of the guilds up there, atm its a stalemate as hyperion has moved to easier pickings of yssam(north eastern) where they won multiple decisive victorys of the powers there. Now they have absorbed one side of the alliances fighting there and the CC has absorbed the defeated guilds. CC reacted by utterly undermining the eastern alliance(forest republic) then absorbing its remains, the current fight is CC absorbing the NE mainland alliance(savage alliance) with the majority half joining hyperion. This has caused the remaining undecided guilds and alliances to join with either force with most of them siding with hyperion(rainbow/serenity now/themercs).

The island of rubaiyat is firmly behind the CC due to the fact that their RPers and hate non alfar guilds(awful company is pure alfar only) but the island of cairn is ruled by a powerful alliance called the cairn alliance, its never been to unified by now their being pressured to choose sides. On one side they like CC but hate some of its members(goons/KGB) but they also loathe to be allied with the RPers, their movers are mostly staying neutral but recently LotD have made aggressive moves towards CC and began openly siding with hyperion, no wants to bother with their island because its shit to assault and the other side would be sure to strike.

Eventually its going to blow up into open siege warfare with multiple sieges going on at the same time- citys will burn and the entire future of EU-1 will be decided(hopefully NA opens up so what ever happens we all win).

Reading this gave me a MASSIVE erection. Just an FYI.

vatoreus on
    edited April 2009
    Got on last night, played for a bit, decided I hated my last name. Xaoten Kii is my re-roll, named after my Axer on AC Harvestgain.

I can definitely see why people would gank in this game. Idiots macroing in town while hiding in walls (I just baaarely didn't have the HP to kill the twit before I was killed), idiot noobs ninja looting and accidentally hitting each other while they're camping the goblin spawns, 3 idiots to each goblin...

Yeah. Can definitely see why people kill these idiots.

Got the newbie quests done until the "kill 7 goblins in an hour", which I don't think I could do while idiots are going off on the goblins. Instead I went off to do some mining, I hear that you get stat bonuses for leveling up gathering skills. I got to 23.4 before falling asleep sometime around 1 AM. I'm mostly getting stone, which um... is worthless as far as I can tell?

I'll hit it up again, see if I notice a difference in stats at 25.

KiTA on
  • XOCentricXOCentric Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I'm mostly getting stone, which um... is worthless as far as I can tell?

No, stone is a key ingredient in city building.

XOCentric on
    steam: xo_centric uplay: xocentric
  • DiscoZombieDiscoZombie Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I know very little about this game. It sounds like it's more or less a game for people who love pvp and ganking? and economics, to a lesser degree? caters to KSAE types on the Bartle scale? probably no good for me - I'm more of an EASK.

DiscoZombie on
    edited April 2009
    XOCentric wrote: »
    I'm mostly getting stone, which um... is worthless as far as I can tell?

No, stone is a key ingredient in city building.

But, worthless for making me a nice new axe to smack retards with, right?

Finding metal was kinda hard, didn't see any metal rocks, but, didn't look excessively hard. I might end up going Archery for the time being, even with that cheapo goblin bow I did almost twice as much damage shooting people. I imagine if I was doing the lumberjack thing I could make a bow and arrows pretty easily, right?

KiTA on
    edited April 2009
    So I did the first four quests last night, and feel like I have at least a grip on what's going on... got my second newbie weapon (the staff) and played around with magic somewhat. (Got attacked by two goblins, switched out to melee, killed the first and severely wounded the second before it dropped me, then a passing newb actually picked me back up off the ground (and finished off the goblin I was fighting))

There was a Dwarf and a Rogue Mirdain attacking/looting newbs at the goblin spawns, which was annoying, but coming into this expecting it, I didn't really get frustrated. Now to find out where I need to go to join up with the PAers.

Dyvion on
  • XOCentricXOCentric Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    **RE-POST** w/edits

1. PM Ellitherian (sp?) hes got some posts in this thread.
    2. /tell Jeran Attrel in game to apply to Virakar. (I would include goon stuff here but I havent played with them)
    3. Introduce yourself as a new PA guy in clan chat, get Vent info and directions to the city.
    4. Get to the city. Bind at a chaos stone nearby because our keep and houses get knocked down on a regular basis (ie every morning).
    5. Ask in clan chat and someone will gear you up with armor and weapons.
    6. Ask what needs to be done, group up with someone and get it done. May involve harvesting, may involve killing players or killing mobs. Someone will probably go kill goblins with you if nothing else is going on, or at least show you how to.
    7. Send Jeran Attrell a tell when I come online so I can keep track of you and make sure you get hooked up properly.

You can also go harvest/kill stuff in the noob areas, although I don't recommend it.

More stuff!
    -Pick a 1H weapon, get to 25 for knockback.
    -Pick a 2H weapon, get to 25 for knockback.
    -Get lesser magic to 50 for mana to stamina.
    -Get a bow and arrows because they rock at shooting out mounts.
    -Specialize once you have a preference.

XOCentric on
    steam: xo_centric uplay: xocentric
    edited April 2009
    XOCentric wrote: »
    **RE-POST** w/edits

1. PM Ellitherian (sp?) hes got some posts in this thread.
    2. /tell Jeran Attrel in game to apply to Virakar. (I would include goon stuff here but I havent played with them)
    3. Introduce yourself as a new PA guy in clan chat, get Vent info and directions to the city.
    4. Get to the city. Bind at a chaos stone nearby because our keep and houses get knocked down on a regular basis (ie every morning).
    5. Ask in clan chat and someone will gear you up with armor and weapons.
    6. Ask what needs to be done, group up with someone and get it done. May involve harvesting, may involve killing players or killing mobs. Someone will probably go kill goblins with you if nothing else is going on, or at least show you how to.
    7. Send Jeran Attrell a tell when I come online so I can keep track of you and make sure you get hooked up properly.

You can also go harvest/kill stuff in the noob areas, although I don't recommend it.

More stuff!
    -Pick a 1H weapon, get to 25 for knockback.
    -Pick a 2H weapon, get to 25 for knockback.
    -Get lesser magic to 50 for mana to stamina.
    -Get a bow and arrows because they rock at shooting out mounts.
    -Specialize once you have a preference.

Thanks. This is all good OP stuff too... I've sent friend requests out to the people that actually show up on the friends search from the OP... your name isn't on that list, so I'll add a friend request for you next time I'm on. In game I'm Dyvion Stumpthumper. Should probably add that to my sig...

Dyvion on
    edited April 2009
    Anyone done any crafting in this? Do I need to save up 500G and get the *Smithing skills?

KiTA on
  • EllthiterenEllthiteren Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Arghy wrote: »
    Atm the PA guild is a member of the hyperion alliance the current largest alliance on the server, they are made up of mostly human/mirdain/dwarf guilds and represent the bulk of the RPers/good guys on the server.

Great post, but one minor clarification. The Yssam clans aren't a part of Hyperion, although we are friendly. We can ask each other for help but we have no mutual obligations and they certainly can't order us to do anything. If they tried, we'd probably go to war with them (not that I think they would, or that we'd have to, it's a pretty good relationship so far).

On a semi-related note, the zerg / number accusations in this game are hilarious. Spies on our enemies' vent regularly tell us that the enemy thinks we have two to three times our actual numbers. On our side, we've generally overestimated our enemy's size as well, although not to the same degree. And on the forums it gets even worse.

The nice thing about Yssam so far is that we've had tons of large fights that were just small enough to avoid crippling lag (assuming you're not an idiot and had blood/3d sounds turned off), generally in the 150-250 participant range. I think on the mainland it has been a lot worse, with 300+ people attacking a city at a time. Seriously one of the dumbest things ever; there's no need for that many people. You only need enough to hold the clanstone for long enough to take it out. Just find a spot you can block off and fire cannons from there.

A couple sieges are ongoing on Yssam right now, apparently. Hopefully they'll be fun ones!

Ellthiteren on
    edited April 2009
    There may be no open alliances but the simple fact is most clans would be retarded not to choose a side, DUSK constantly rages that their arent with us but most of them know that if we go down theres nothing saving them- the yssam clans may not be on your side but they know stasis wants their citys back and only an idiot would think we would stop there haha. You gotta admit hyperion has more guilds in it, goons are still usually 40-60% of every attacking force where hyperion usually has an even mix of guilds and players. During the BKB counter siege we had at most 100 and that literally pulled in every favor we had, DUSK was roused and so was the newly formed dawn alliance and you+BKB still heavily outnumbered us with atleast 2-1.

City sieges are no fun there needs to be something worth taking outside of the citys like outposts so theres still reason to fight though i loathe to say it an eve POS type system is needed. The city is invul until the outposts are all taken or atleast majority outposts are taken, you can choose to build a large amount or only have a few. The fights will now have the chance to be spread out amongst multiple targets instead of a single target. The outposts should be from simple covered buildings to buff relays/resource nodes/dungeons/banks, this would make the islands so valuable and you could add in world wonders that require a certain amount of the citys in your control, throw in a proper alliance system with linked citys(trade routes creating passive income).

The devs really need to play other games haha then this wouldent be anything new to them!

Arghy on
    edited April 2009
    I'm in game now if anyone wants to add me as a friend (and I could certainly use a couple, cause I haven't met anyone in game yet from PA :P)

prolly be on for a couple of hours.

e: Fairly decent night. Didn't finish anymore quests... or meet anyone from PA... but I did find a goblin spawn and shared it with another guy and slaughtered goblins for about an hour. Got a skinning knife and a sickle out of it... with herb gathering up to 12ish now :) Going to bed... friend requests sent... donno if this system only does them when you're both logged in or if the requests are pending for people to accept. guess I'll find out tomorrow.

Dyvion on
    edited April 2009
    I'm back in game, should be around for roughly 3 hours.

Dyvion on
  • EllthiterenEllthiteren Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Just a quick note - if you are going human/dwarf/elf, apply to Virakar in-game and then send me a PM on these forums. I'll get you in the next time I'm online.

Ellthiteren on
  • TheLawinatorTheLawinator Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    God I want to try this to see if it's worth it. Most of the things you guys have been talking about sound cool, but I have no idea if I would enjoy it.

TheLawinator on
    My SteamID Gamertag and PSN: TheLawinator
    edited April 2009
    God I want to try this to see if it's worth it. Most of the things you guys have been talking about sound cool, but I have no idea if I would enjoy it.

So far it reminds me (very strongly) of asheron's call Darktide. Which is not a bad thing at all.

e: Ok, I'm off for now... got into Clan Virakar (got a large amount of flak for being an elf :P) and got out to the city and bound... and registered for their forums.

I still get the AC Darktide feeling from the game, which is a very good thing.

Dyvion on
  • StormyWatersStormyWaters Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    How rough does the game run with minimum system requirements? I'm actually just a bit under, but plan on running with absolute lowest settings, think it'll work?

StormyWaters on
    edited April 2009
    How rough does the game run with minimum system requirements? I'm actually just a bit under, but plan on running with absolute lowest settings, think it'll work?

I don't know about minimum... but I'm running an Athlon 64 3800 (2.4 ghz) with 3 gigs of ram and SLI'd 7600 GT's... and with everything at default settings @ 1280X1024 I get 5 to 10 frames per second... with foliage turned all the way down and no shadows and no post processing effects (but still default textures) I can't see any stuttering at all. I've been thinking about toying with upping this or that setting and see how it performs, but the game still looks gorgeous with everything turned down like it is... so I'm not sure I want to :P

Dyvion on
  • StormyWatersStormyWaters Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I'm not sure if it's frowned upon to do this, but if anyone in this thread is looking to get rid of their account, let me know. With the store issues I don't know of any other way to get an account.

StormyWaters on
  • vhzodvhzod Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    So the store is opening in 30 minutes apparently. Hopefully I'll actually get a copy.
    Edit: Success!

vhzod on
  • h4x0rh4x0r Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Got mine as well

h4x0r on