As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The War on Paint: We Put Bears on Art Men

• Options
    CMDanteCMDante Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I prefer to paint in 2-3 sub-assemblies, usually I'll paint the torso and an arm as one, the head as another and finally the other arm. Allows for easier access with the brush to tricky areas.

Cheers,

Dante

CMDante on
  • Options
    RaslinRaslin Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Dareth: I like the idea, but the way you did it didn't really work well, in my opinion. I would paint up the cannon as you normally would, and then try a thick red wash on applicable parts(something like a baal red, with some blood red mixed in... mix it in slowly and test on a piece of paper before applying, to get the right consistancy).

Everyone: I started painting my demolisher/eradicator tonight, or rather, finished part of it. The body needs a lot more work, but the turret is done bar highlighting, and already looks really good. I was really worried, because it looked horrible with just the basecoat. This fills me with enthusiasm to finish the rest of the tank, I can't wait until I can post pictures for y'all.

Raslin on
    I cant url good so add me on steam anyways steamcommunity.com/id/Raslin

3ds friend code: 2981-6032-4118
  • Options
    DampCatDampCat Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Mayday wrote: »
    Nax wrote: »
    If we played 40k with models the size of my computer monitor, it might be an issue :P
    I honestly see nothing but :^: there, Mayday
    Ah well, that might be a point...
    Thanks for the kind words, guys. I'm gonna paint some more and experiment.

For extreme highlights try this:

Use a rounded brush
    wipe off excess paint (not to drybrush level)
    Do not use the tip of the brush along the edges. Run along the edge that you're highlighting using the side of the brush. as in my amazing CAD drawing below:

side.jpg

Hopefully that might help :) I'd show examples but im at work.

DampCat on
    fiawal6.jpg
    "EVEN IN DEATH I STILL COOK MOTHERFUCKERS".
  • Options
    DampCatDampCat Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Sorry for link, i cant post image tags.

DampCat on
    fiawal6.jpg
    "EVEN IN DEATH I STILL COOK MOTHERFUCKERS".
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    CMDante wrote: »
    I prefer to paint in 2-3 sub-assemblies, usually I'll paint the torso and an arm as one, the head as another and finally the other arm. Allows for easier access with the brush to tricky areas.

Cheers,

Dante
    Question for you sir, do you attack the free arm to something to allow a grip on it while you paint? I ask since I might do something similar as I repaint my DK Grenadiers and their arms are tiny.

Librarian's ghost on
    (Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    Dareth RamDareth Ram regular
    edited March 2009
    Raslin wrote: »
    Dareth: I like the idea, but the way you did it didn't really work well, in my opinion. I would paint up the cannon as you normally would, and then try a thick red wash on applicable parts(something like a baal red, with some blood red mixed in... mix it in slowly and test on a piece of paper before applying, to get the right consistancy).
    I'm inclined to agree. I want to avoid re-painting it from scratch (though I guess I will strip it and start over if I have to), but I did fiddle with the colors a bit. Lots of washes added, tinge of yellow to the highlights. Just on the top part - not sure if I want to start over or extend it around yet.

plasmacannon.jpg

Anyways, this seems a bit better but I'm still not sure. Thoughts?

Dareth Ram on
  • Options
    MaydayMayday Cutting edge goblin tech Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    It looks kinda messy but I dig the colours. Does the red stand for red-hot places?

Finished the guy from yesterday. First fully painted SM:
    3small.png
    The backpack is just washes, no highlights. I love my bottle of badab black so much! heart.gif

Mayday on
  • Options
    3lwap03lwap0 Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Looks pretty good for your first SM.

Also - Re: Your highlights. They aren't very clean, but it's a matter of two things really - the brush you use, and the color palette. I'll give you an example of how I do highlights, and if I can, i'll post a picture of a marine later tonight demonstrating what it looks like.

Anyways, if I paint Ultramarines, I base Ultra/Regal 50/50, then I highlight everything in pure ultra marine. It's a subtle variation, and hell, it's hardly noticeable. I keep the actual lines I draw even and crisp. Then I switch to a ultra/spacewolf gray 50/50 and repeat over my ultra highlights, and I try and make those lines even thinner. Lastly, i'll pick off the highest edged stuff with pure space wolf. The trick is layer your highlights in such a fashion as they blend easier. Switching from one color a single hightlight color can be drastic. If you want to keep it clean, use a fine detail brush. You'll screw up - keep your base color handy to tidy up when go over too much.

Re: Washes. I was in a speed painting competition this weekend, and I'm painting a plastic Frodo. I've never painted a hobbit before, and I could spend all day on the model, but you've got one hour, so you make some sacrifices. Anyways, I ended up placing 1st out of 10 because I washed rather than highlighted. I could have spent 30 minutes doing a single stage highlight, or I could wash the colors down in 5 minutes, and leave the edges alone to sort of reverse highlight. It works - not on every model, but it works.

3lwap0 on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    3lwap0 wrote: »
    Looks pretty good for your first SM.
    First FULLY painted SM. There were number1 and number2 before him.

Mayday on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    yeah, red is for hot places. whole gun needs cleaning up, of course - I'm very liberal with badab black.
    It looks kinda messy but I dig the colours. Does the red stand for red-hot places?

Finished the guy from yesterday. First fully painted SM:
    3small.png
    The backpack is just washes, no highlights. I love my bottle of badab black so much! heart.gif

Seeing blood ravens painted makes me so happy. are you going to try free-handing the chapter symbol?

Dareth Ram on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    I don't think it would be something I'd have a lot of fun with. I'm gonna try freehanding a bit, but if the results from printed decals look better, I'll stick to decals.

Mayday on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    I don't think it would be something I'd have a lot of fun with. I'm gonna try freehanding a bit, but if the results from printed decals look better, I'll stick to decals.
    Well, I ask because GW doesn't make BR decals. Though making your own is pretty straight forward...

Dareth Ram on
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Dareth Ram wrote: »
    Well, I ask because GW doesn't make BR decals. Though making your own is pretty straight forward...

I actually made a whole sheet of BR decals back when I toyed with doing them when DOW1 was out. I actually went and extracted the logo from the game files since I couldn't find a clear enough picture I liked.

Librarian's ghost on
    (Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    edited March 2009
    Yeah, I've already got that sheet. Looking for a good printing solution (plain decal paper is hard to come by round here).

Mayday on
  • Options
    JJ Rabbit GangmemberRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I'm inclined to agree. I want to avoid re-painting it from scratch (though I guess I will strip it and start over if I have to), but I did fiddle with the colors a bit. Lots of washes added, tinge of yellow to the highlights. Just on the top part - not sure if I want to start over or extend it around yet.

plasmacannon.jpg

I like how you have it at the coils. You should try that on the other red parts.

J on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    @ Timspork - I pin everything anyway so the free arm normally has a pin in it at the shoulder.

Cheers,

Dante

CMDante on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    @ Timspork - I pin everything anyway so the free arm normally has a pin in it at the shoulder.

Cheers,

Dante

Problem is that the Death Korps models have such tiny and thin arms that there's not much of a safe way to sink a pin into them. I'm thinking of gluing them temporarily to a spare piece of resin then breaking it off afterward.

Librarian's ghost on

• Options
    edited March 2009
    Sounds like you need to get some super fine drill bits then mate :D.

I find them handy for a lot of things.

Gluing might work but can be risky when you come to breaking the join. For a start you then have to clean off all of the glue to get a flush join again. Also, the fact the gluing surface is so small means that you won't have a very strong join once you glue it to the mini. Pinning would also help with this.

Cheers,

Dante

CMDante on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Sounds like you need to get some super fine drill bits then mate :D.

I find them handy for a lot of things.

Gluing might work but can be risky when you come to breaking the join. For a start you then have to clean off all of the glue to get a flush join again. Also, the fact the gluing surface is so small means that you won't have a very strong join once you glue it to the mini. Pinning would also help with this.

Cheers,

Dante

The problem is that I wouldn't be able to drill a hole deep enough for the pin to be glued into without the bit exiting the other side of the arm. I could easily put the pin in the torso, but that kinda defeats the purpose of having something to hold onto.

Librarian's ghost on

• Options
    -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Rhino complete

rhinodone1.jpg

rhinodone2.jpg

-SPI- on
  • Options
    AlphariusAlpharius Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    love it

Alpharius on
    Check out my 40k blog: WarHamSandwich
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    oh man, your metallics went in really nice. it's excellent.

Dareth Ram on
  • Options
    JackmodeJackmode Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    -SPI- wrote: »
    Rhino complete

So fucking awesome...love it! The gold came out very nicely!

Jackmode on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Crap. I was making great progress today and I ran out of all the washes I use. Grrrrr.

Librarian's ghost on

• Options
    Foolish ChaosFoolish Chaos Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Yeah, -SPI-, care to tell me how you did the gold on that Rhino? Looks really good.

Foolish Chaos on
  • Options
    ChuvChuv Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Dareth:

plasmacannon.jpg

Maybe instead of the red on top with the black underneath, switch it. Right now it just looks like blood, like the red stuff was splattered on. What I think I mean is that red with black highlights might make it look like the heat is coming from inside the gun. I'm not sure of the technology inside a plasma gun, but I think the heat comes from inside.

tl;dr I think your highlights are backwards.

P.S. SPI, you do pink perfectly.

Chuv on
    PSN: Chuvakie
    XBL: Chewyy
    Steam: chuvakie
  • Options
    Desperad0Desperad0 Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    After a bit more time off I've managed to finish four more lasgunners for my airborne regiment.
    ?action=view&current=034.jpg

Here are three more being built up.
    ?action=view&current=035-1.jpg

I think my brush control is getting much better and I feel like I might even have most of my troops done by the time the new codex hits. You can't really tell in the photo but I went a bit too heavy on the purity seal after I'd finished up so the backside of the models looks like they were in some kind of industrial ash waste snowball fight. Anyone have tips to remove this without the paint? I'm tempted to just leave it as is, as a reminder to go really really light on the matte varnish.

SPI: Awesome looking rhino! The highlights came out nice and I like the color scheme.

Dampcat: I have to give that technique a try sometime. Currently, my guardsmen lack any kind of highlighting on their armor.

Desperad0 on
  • Options
    SJSJ College. Forever.Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    You need to add [ img ] tags to those.

SJ on
  • Options
    -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Yeah, -SPI-, care to tell me how you did the gold on that Rhino? Looks really good.

Black basecoat

coat entire area with 50/50 scorched brown/brazen brass

then shining gold/scorched brown at maybe 1 part brown 3 parts gold

then pure shining gold

then burnished gold/mithril silver 50/50 hi-lights

then a gryphonne sepia wash

-SPI- on
  • Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Real men ride in pink tanks.

I'm convinced now.

Aegeri on
    The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Nice tank, although having the marine be the same color really doesn't work too well. There's a reason why I make sure the hull color is a slightly different shade than the armor my guys wear.

Gabriel_Pitt on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Man, fuck pink.

You guys can take that however you like.

SJ on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Chuv wrote: »

plasmacannon.jpg

Maybe instead of the red on top with the black underneath, switch it. Right now it just looks like blood, like the red stuff was splattered on. What I think I mean is that red with black highlights might make it look like the heat is coming from inside the gun. I'm not sure of the technology inside a plasma gun, but I think the heat comes from inside.

tl;dr I think your highlights are backwards.

P.S. SPI, your do pink perfectly.

:!!:

Thank you. I was too dumb to see that, even when Raislin tried explaining it to me. Super "OOOOOOOOOOOOH! right." moment.

didn't reply when I read your post, but I because of it I went and bought some Simple Green after work and stripped the plasma gun.

Dareth Ram on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    The brightest parts should be in the depths of the coils. Yepyepyep.

SJ on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    I always paint mine to look like the warp coils in Star Trek. Yes I am that much of a nerd.

Librarian's ghost on

• Options
    WulfWulf Disciple of Tzeentch The Void... (New Jersey)Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I always paint mine to look like the warp coils in Star Trek. Yes I am that much of a nerd.

Only if you paint it that way while dressed like Geordi

Wulf on
    Everyone needs a little Chaos!
  • Options
    Mad JazzMad Jazz gotta go fast AustinRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Wulf wrote: »

Only if you paint it that way while dressed like Geordi

What, you don't do that?

Mad Jazz on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    The Count Of Midget FistoThe Count Of Midget Fisto Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Does anyone have tips for Airbrushing? I want to experiment with doing a urban camo pattern on my Tau.

The Count Of Midget Fisto on
    In Low Orbit Over Budapest
  • Options
    edited March 2009

I have a raging boner for the new Star Trek movie D:

SJ on
  • Options
    3lwap03lwap0 Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Does anyone have tips for Airbrushing? I want to experiment with doing a urban camo pattern on my Tau.

Try a putty of some sort (poster putty works well). Basically, prime the model, then put on your basecoat color (usually the darkest color in the pattern). Apply the putty either in strips or blobs, and then airbrush your lighter color over it.

3lwap0 on