As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Tabletop Games, PAX 2009

• Options
    VThornheartVThornheart Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Ah... do they have rules for "skirmishes" where I could pick up an amount of pieces short of a full army (and thus save the price tag?) I'd probably not have time for a full-on army game anyways... so more of a skirmish type of game might be more of a safe bet potentially.

VThornheart on
    3DS Friend Code: 1950-8938-9095
  • Options
    SlickShughesSlickShughes Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Ah... do they have rules for "skirmishes" where I could pick up an amount of pieces short of a full army (and thus save the price tag?) I'd probably not have time for a full-on army game anyways... so more of a skirmish type of game might be more of a safe bet potentially.

40K? I think they might, it's been 2 editions since I've played. The 5th ed box has the rules plus a hell of a lot of space marines and orks for like 60 bucks, and it's not hard to get 20% off that from assorted online retailers. It's enough to learn the game and play the two against each other, but I'm not sure how many points it is, and if you showed up with just that in the tabletop area if there would be anyone looking to play at that points value.

Back when it released, there were people looking to swap out their orks for marines, or vice versa, so they could double up and not wind up with a two small armies or a bunch of orks they weren't going to use ever. If you could find someone at your FLGS store to do that you could probably get a decent sized force. You'd have better luck if you want to keep the orks, marines are way more popular and I wouldn't be surprised if there were more than a few people around with the orks still assembled.

EDIT for if you meant Warmachine: The skirmish level of WM consists of playing just the starter box for a faction, which is usually one caster/leader and 3 mechs (or beasts, for Hordes). They run $40 - $50. BUT! you can play that for free, at the Privateer Press booth (assuming they'll be there again), with pro painted models no less, either against a PP staff member or a friend with the PP guy walking you through it. That's what I did last year, and that's what got me into the game.

SlickShughes on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Oh, cool! I'll definitely have to drop by that booth then!

This year I think I'm going to take more time out of my cookie brigading to actually see all of these things. I passed by cool booths that I wanted to check out, but didn't pause long enough to do so. That'll have to change this year, at least enough to see things like the Warmachine booth. =)=)

VThornheart on
  • Options
    Weenog42Weenog42 Registered User regular
    edited April 2009

They do have rules for skirmishes in the City Fight rules - basically you build a patrol instead of an army. I've never played it that way, though.

Honestly, you should try to find someone who has an army you can game with before you go whole hog. Warhammer is very expensive. The minis themselves cost a goodly amount, and then there's all the tools you need - knife, drill, glue, putty, primer, paints, brushes... it adds up quickly.

I guess it's likely that GamesWorkshop will have a booth, but does anyone know if there are tables for people to play?

Weenog42 on
  • Options
    emarecksaykayemarecksaykay Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I don't think anybody's mentioned Guillotine, yet. As far as card games go, I think it can be a lot more fun than Munchkins.

I definitely want to play some Settlers of Catan though, I really don't get to play that often enough.

emarecksaykay on
    -mrxak, OMEGANAUT '09
    (You just say the letters)
  • Options
    Weenog42Weenog42 Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I will definitely bring Settlers.

The Settlers card game for 2 players is quite good as well; it really captures the feeling of the board game but with less setup, and head-to-head.

I know of a bunch of great games, although I don't own them - Descent, BSG, Fury of Dracula, Power Grid, just to name a few.

Weenog42 on
  • Options
    MaoChanMaoChan Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I know I have mentioned it before but if you go to http://games.asobrain.com/ you can play Catan (with cities and knights, seafarers) and also Carcassonne online. Be warned that everyone is a real dick, settlement blocks, little trading.

MaoChan on
  • Options
    FrowbakkFrowbakk Registered User regular
    edited April 2009

40K? I think they might, it's been 2 editions since I've played. The 5th ed box has the rules plus a hell of a lot of space marines and orks for like 60 bucks, and it's not hard to get 20% off that from assorted online retailers. It's enough to learn the game and play the two against each other, but I'm not sure how many points it is, and if you showed up with just that in the tabletop area if there would be anyone looking to play at that points value.

Back when it released, there were people looking to swap out their orks for marines, or vice versa, so they could double up and not wind up with a two small armies or a bunch of orks they weren't going to use ever. If you could find someone at your FLGS store to do that you could probably get a decent sized force. You'd have better luck if you want to keep the orks, marines are way more popular and I wouldn't be surprised if there were more than a few people around with the orks still assembled.

EDIT for if you meant Warmachine: The skirmish level of WM consists of playing just the starter box for a faction, which is usually one caster/leader and 3 mechs (or beasts, for Hordes). They run $40 - $50. BUT! you can play that for free, at the Privateer Press booth (assuming they'll be there again), with pro painted models no less, either against a PP staff member or a friend with the PP guy walking you through it. That's what I did last year, and that's what got me into the game.

...and this is why the Privateer Press booth has kicked ass and taken names at every single PAX.

Frowbakk on
    Your sig was too tall.
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Okay, I took a few minutes during lunch break to check out Warmachine's website...

http://www.privateerpress.com/WARMACHINE/gallery/default.php?level=picture&id=455

THAT won me over. That specific picture of units. How unique! That's a neat, steampunky theme. I like it. I guess that means I'm going to be Cygnar. =)

VThornheart on
  • Options
    ArcoArco Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    The tabletop annex was great last year, but as it was my first year at PAX I was overwhelmed and didn't spend as much time there as I really wanted to. I plan on spending more time at the tabletop area (wherever it ends up being) this year.

Here's what I'm thinking about bringing:

Munchkin (with several expansions)
    Mordheim (a skirmish-scale Warhammer Fantasy game, a dozen models tops)
    Zombie Fluxx
    Mechaton (a simple but fun game using DIY LEGO killer robots)
    WarMachine (I'm thinking about picking it up...)

Arco on
    Like this, not like the gas station.
    Organizer of the Post-PAX Party. You should come!
    Satellite Theater for life!
  • Options
    HaikufrenzyHaikufrenzy Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I know I'll be bringing my Order of the Stick board game Vthorn gave me last year for more drinking/dungeon crawling this year.

There... will be drinking this year right? I have to have my alcohol laced Arnold Palmers and Pomegranate martinis.

Haikufrenzy on
    RazorbackKing.png
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Okay, I took a few minutes during lunch break to check out Warmachine's website...

http://www.privateerpress.com/WARMACHINE/gallery/default.php?level=picture&id=455

THAT won me over. That specific picture of units. How unique! That's a neat, steampunky theme. I like it. I guess that means I'm going to be Cygnar. =)

Yeah, the steam aspect of cygnar got me too. I picked up the box right after PAX, but I didn't get around to painting until last week. Did my first Heavy Warjack Sunday Afternoon, it's done other than some little details:
    DSC02110.JPG

SlickShughes on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Nice! It's pretty! =)

Also Haikufrenzy, we've got to come up with some "quick action" variant of the game so we can play it... that last one was epic, but took so long =)

VThornheart on
  • Options
    valhallan42ndvalhallan42nd Registered User new member
    edited April 2009
    How much 40k playing is there at PAX? Mainly pick up games?

valhallan42nd on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    The tabletop annex last year seemed to be dominated by D&D, M:tG, and WarMachine. There wasn't as much GW stuff as you'd think.

Arco on
  • Options
    MeeOkMeeOk Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    NWoD, anyone? Anyone? Anyone.......? Anyone...........? Bueller?

MeeOk on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    What's NWoD?

VThornheart on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    New World of Darkness, the rebooted White Wolf setting. I'm not that a big a fan, mainly because the coming of it killed my favorite Old World of Darkness game.

SlickShughes on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Oh, I didn't even know that they rebooted the series! I've been out of the White Wolf circle for too long it seems... haven't played since I was in high school. =(

Do they still use the D10 system? That was probably what I liked the most about it. I've never been big into the vampire/macabre theme, but their dice and skill systems were... for lack of a better word... nifty. =) (Not quite West End Games' Star Wars nifty, but close =) )

VThornheart on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Yeah, they're still d10's. A bit simplified though, now there's no skill difficulties in terms of what you need to roll, it's just 8+ is a success, and you need X successes per check. Honestly, the system isn't that different, it's the setting that changed from the ground up.

SlickShughes on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Ahh, I see! Hmm... yeah, I guess since I was never thrilled with the setting in the first place, I probably wouldn't be into the new version much. But that's okay =)

Fantastic job on that Warjack by the way! So pretty =)

VThornheart on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Hey thanks, I'm working on my warcaster either tonight or tomorrow.

SlickShughes on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Awesome! Which Warcaster did you get?

I like the fellow in the promo pics that's pointing both guns forward and has a brown cloak.

I'm assuming that no one would cry foul if you chose your own color scheme for a faction? I've never actually *played* a tabletop war game (since my exposure was limited to Chronopia, which had beautiful figures that I loved painting but I never knew anyone who played =( ), so I don't know if people get upset out of shape about that kind of thing (I can see how, for example, knowing that one faction's main color is blue might make it easier to see what's on the battlefield and such, so maybe there's some kind of unwritten "keep to your faction's colors for other players' sake" rule... but on the other hand, I want to give mine their own color theme when the time comes). =)

VThornheart on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    I'm yet to play a game of this (outside of the PP demo) myself so I can't say for sure, but I've been told no one cares what color scheme you use. I just really like the Cygnar default colors. I'm still working on the battlebox, so my caster is Stryker - the guy with the sword. The one you like is Caine, and there's an upgraded version of him who's even more badass:
    lrg-68-31041_epic_capt_allister_caine_blister.jpg

SlickShughes on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Whoa! Indeed, that is even more badass! I like! =)

The default color scheme is definitely good, but I'm glad people don't mind differing schemes, because I can picture the Cygnar units looking pretty slick in a maroon, bronze, and dark silver kind of theme. =)

VThornheart on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    I should note that's not my work, it's from the PP gallery. :P I'm looking forward to playing in general, and hopefully playing at PAX!

SlickShughes on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Ah, no worries! =) Well, we'll definitely have to play a skirmish at the least at PAX =)

That means I need to get my paint on. It's been years... that was such a good activity. Very calming. I just need time to do it too. Hopefully after this game is done. =)

VThornheart on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    It's encouraging to see people picking up WarMachine specifically for PAX. I know the community is the greatest and new players are always welcomed like they should be, but it still sucks to be new. You always feel like a burden, slowing things down and not being fluent with gameplay. In light of VT and SlickShughes picking up WarMachine I think I'll do the same. :)

Newbies of the world, unite!

Arco on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Woot! Awesome! =)

I get the feeling that, since none of my friends out here are into tabletop games, this is going to be in the same category as Magic for me... that category being "Things I find cool but only actually get to play once a year" =)

VThornheart on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Woot! Awesome! =)

I get the feeling that, since none of my friends out here are into tabletop games, this is going to be in the same category as Magic for me... that category being "Things I find cool but only actually get to play once a year" =)

VT/Arco, there's a free online thing called Vassal that the guys in the CF warmachine/hordes thread use to play. I've seen people offer to do learning games in there before, but I've never taken anyone up on it. Having never (really) played before I'd feel a little odd teaching it myself, but mayhaps sometime between now and PAX we could stumble through it together? I'm going to attempt to get some games in at my FLGS sometime, or at least observe so I can get a better handle on this runs, so after that maybe?

SlickShughes on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Cool! Aye, once I get some free time I definitely want to try that =)

VThornheart on
  • Options
    scotty2haughtyscotty2haughty Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Im thinking about bringing a few games (if I make it), namely:

Settlers of Catan
    Axis and Allies
    Bohnanza

and maybe Diplomacy...dont know if anyone will feel like playing a game for 6 hours during PAX. maybe will have to get a game going in the wee hours of the night.

scotty2haughty on
  • Options
    mostlyharmlessmostlyharmless Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Lessee, Table Top games . . .

I'll be bringing the following:
    Warhammer Fantasy Battles (yes, there is such a game. Who'd a thought?)
    Warhammer 40k
    Mordhiem
    NINJA BURGER!

Anyway, some of the guys from my FLGS are already plotting a repeat of the successful Apocalypse battle and Tournament. I slew Angron and Skulltaker, and I plan on doing so again.

mostlyharmless on
  • Options
    Qs23Qs23 Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    BLAH, BLAH, BLAH...
    Diplomacy...

I'm in.

Qs23 on
    PASig.gif
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Oooooooooooooh, Mordheim.

I brought 3 warbands and some ruined buildings last year, but I didn't get many people interested. If we can sew the seeds of Mordheim early we might be able to get a campaign going.

Arco on
  • Options
    DangoFrankDangoFrank Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Great, ive been wanting to pick up some Catan.

DangoFrank on
  • Options
    scotty2haughtyscotty2haughty Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Qs23 wrote: »
    BLAH, BLAH, BLAH...
    Diplomacy...

I'm in.

finally, someone else who appreciates a no-dice, all strategy game...

scotty2haughty on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    I would love to get a nice, big game of Munchkin going, although I have a feeling that we might end up on the Seattle news by the end of it.

Arco on
  • Options
    FrowbakkFrowbakk Registered User regular
    edited April 2009

Games Workshop has historically had no support for any gaming convention other than their own Games Days and Grand Tournaments. So Any 40K or Apocalypse or etc are set up by volunteers.

WarMachine, on the other hand is HUGELY supported at PAX by Privateer Press. Official tournaments with themed terrain and tables, and their booth has gotten better and better every year.

The official GW presence has been SaberTooth Games pimping the 40K CCG the first two or three years, and what was mostly vaporware for Warhammer Online the last three years before the game actually dropped, with a little Dawn of War mixed in. If you didn't know better, you'd never guess that GW even made miniatures based on what's been at PAX.

Now that I'm done ranting, a couple of the Enforcers ran a big Apocalypse game last year on Saturday (my Orks held one end of the board) and a 500 point tournament on Sunday. Plenty of time before and after to see the rest of the con and get into some panels and concerts.

Frowbakk on
    Your sig was too tall.
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Frowbakk wrote: »

Games Workshop has historically had no support for any gaming convention other than their own Games Days and Grand Tournaments. So Any 40K or Apocalypse or etc are set up by volunteers.

WarMachine, on the other hand is HUGELY supported at PAX by Privateer Press. Official tournaments with themed terrain and tables, and their booth has gotten better and better every year.

The official GW presence has been SaberTooth Games pimping the 40K CCG the first two or three years, and what was mostly vaporware for Warhammer Online the last three years before the game actually dropped, with a little Dawn of War mixed in. If you didn't know better, you'd never guess that GW even made miniatures based on what's been at PAX.

Now that I'm done ranting, a couple of the Enforcers ran a big Apocalypse game last year on Saturday (my Orks held one end of the board) and a 500 point tournament on Sunday. Plenty of time before and after to see the rest of the con and get into some panels and concerts.
    Ahhhhhhh, that's why there's no GW tabletop action.

Yet another reason why I grow more and more distant from GW.

Arco on
This discussion has been closed.