As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Garry's Mod - Version 10 OUT NOW!!!

Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
edited January 2007 in Games and Technology
What is Garry's Mod?

Garry's Mod (Or Gmod for short) is a sort of sandbox enviroment where users can build contraptions, vehicals, scenes, and even games, plus a whole slew of other things within Half-Life 2's Source Engine. It can even be done in multiplayer.

People have used Garry's Mod to make Webcomics, Rube Goldberg machines, giant robot fortresses and a metric crapload of other stuff.

So what's new?
Having released v9 of his mod, Garry no longer had time to work on it; until Valve approached him and asked him to make a new version to be sold on Steam. They gave Garry access to the source engine and he rebuilt the entire thing from scratch. The new version (Gmod 10) has finally been released. The new version can be purchased standalone for $10 (for those of us who already own one of Valve's source engine games) or for $25 dollars with CS: Source for those who don't.

The list of Source engine games that work with Garry's Mod include
-Half-Life 2
-Half-Life 2: Episode One
-Half-Life 2: Deatmatch
-Counter-Strike: Source
-Day of Defeat: Source

According to Garry:
The new version has been created from scratch so almost everything has been revised and re-invented. It has a bunch of new tools to play with (winches, hydraulics and hoverballs), totally new spawn menu and a few new Post Processing effects to play with. The great thing about Steam is that I can update really regularly, really easily - which is something I plan on doing - so expect more tools/gamemodes/stuff to come.
More info can be found at http://www.garrysmod.com

Undead Scottsman on

• Options
    DralloDrallo Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Glad to see him making money off of this.

Drallo on
    katamarisig.jpg
  • Options
    OtakuD00DOtakuD00D Can I hit the exploding rocks? San DiegoRegistered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Oh hell yeah. I loved the original one. This one is going to be a total BLAST.

OtakuD00D on
    makosig.jpg
  • Options
    ColtColt .45 ColoradoRegistered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Fuck...yes...

I love GMod. I never thought a sandbox could be so fun.

Colt on
    steam.pngxbl.pngpsn.png
  • Options
    tyrannustyrannus i am not fat Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    That's fantastic that he's getting paid to do something so awesome. God, I love valve.

tyrannus on
  • Options
    TDLTDL ClubPA, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2006
    Fuck yeah! Hydraulics!

TDL on
    Meet me on my vast veranda
    My sweet, untouched Miranda
    And while the seagulls are crying
    We fall but our souls are flying
  • Options
    ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Does the discount include Half-Life: Source?

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    edited November 2006

What? It says it comes with CS:S and nothing else. No HL:S, no HL2 and no DoD:S.

EDIT: Wait, nevermind, I misunderstood.

I would imagine that it would work with HL:S, but that might be the exception since it's sort of a clunky translation to the source engine, from what I've read.

'course the question is why do you only have Half-Life: Source and not HL2 or another game?

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited November 2006

What? It says it comes with CS:S and nothing else. No HL:S, no HL2 and no DoD:S.

No, I mean it's 9.95 when you own a Source-based game. Does this apply to Half-Life: Source?

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    core tacticcore tactic Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    I don't know, 4chan's been showing some pretty fucked up stuff from this mod.

core tactic on
    6700ab2ed7bb6f9876150c388a78a011.png
  • Options
    Wombat!!Wombat!! Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Yeah. We are planning a Gmod 9 game at like, 7 something PST.

Might be zombie onslaught, might not.

Wombat!! on
  • Options
    SaniusSanius Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    We are doing GMod 9 if you guys want to celebrate this.

Just get in Vent, Game On 7.

Sanius on
  • Options
    LednehLedneh shinesquawk Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    So I just inquired about this on the SA forums, seeing as how I'd never gotten interested or even looked into it previously.

As a TL;DR, I was directed to something called Tyrannis, a walking castle, on Youtube.

Holy jesus on a fuckstick where's my ten bucks.

Ledneh on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Updated the OP in celebration of the imminent release.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    ToadTheMushroomToadTheMushroom Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Can you post some sort of 'patch notes' well basically new stuff in this version over 9.

ToadTheMushroom on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Can you post some sort of 'patch notes' well basically new stuff in this version over 9.
    The new version has been created from scratch so almost everything has been revised and re-invented. It has a bunch of new tools to play with (winches, hydraulics and hoverballs), totally new spawn menu and a few new Post Processing effects to play with. The great thing about Steam is that I can update really regularly, really easily - which is something I plan on doing - so expect more tools/gamemodes/stuff to come.

Is about as good as your going to get, I think.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    xzzyxzzy Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    There a REAL list of new features anywhere?

What's it offering that makes it worth $10 more than what I paid for versions 1 through 9?

xzzy on
  • Options
    GyralGyral Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    I don't know, 4chan's been showing some pretty fucked up stuff from this mod.
    I think the issue is more about 4chan than Gmod.

Gyral on
    25t9pjnmqicf.jpg
  • Options
    Flesh Into GearFlesh Into Gear Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    :x

I'm broke as hell...but I don't think I can resist this.

Flesh Into Gear on
    katamarisig4ee3f299bd4.png
  • Options
    LorkLork Registered User regular
    edited November 2006

No, I mean it's 9.95 when you own a Source-based game. Does this apply to Half-Life: Source?
    It's not a discount, $10 is the standalone price. The way GMod works is that you go to a map from one of your Source games, spawn some props or characters from any of your Source games and then mess around with them. If you don't have any Source games, you won't have anywhere to go or anything to play with, hence the requirement.

So yes, you can get it for $10 and use it with HL:Source, but you'll only be able to go to HL: Source maps and use HL: Source props, and that's hardly using it at all. The CS:S deal is kinda iffy as well; CS is nice if you just want to pose ragdolls, but all the real building is done with HL2 props.

It's not worth buying if you don't have HL2, basically.

Lork on
    Steam Profile: Lork
  • Options
    edited November 2006

Just use an older release? They won't disappear off the internet, and are still heaps of fun.

I kind of liked the earlier releases better, mostly due to the insane feature creep gmod has been getting. I like my toys simple and to the point. ;)

Either way, no matter what you run, it's like computer legos. Fun, and capable of soaking up far more time than you have available.

xzzy on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Lork wrote:

It's not a discount, $10 is the standalone price. The way GMod works is that you go to a map from one of your Source games, spawn some props or characters from any of your Source games and then mess around with them. If you don't have any Source games, you won't have anywhere to go or anything to play with, hence the requirement.

So yes, you can get it for $10 and use it with HL:Source, but you'll only be able to go to HL: Source maps and use HL: Source props, and that's hardly using it at all.

You sure about that? Have you actually tested Gmod with HL:Source? I seem to recall that HL: Source isn't running on the source engine proper; but a sort of "duct-tape and bailing wire" hybrid.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    ToadTheMushroomToadTheMushroom Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    So does he work for Valve now or is he like an independent dev who has been given a free license for the engine?

ToadTheMushroom on
  • Options
    Recoil42Recoil42 Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    an independent dev who has been given a free license for the engine

Recoil42 on
  • Options
    LorkLork Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Lork wrote:

So yes, you can get it for $10 and use it with HL:Source, but you'll only be able to go to HL: Source maps and use HL: Source props, and that's hardly using it at all.

You sure about that? Have you actually tested Gmod with HL:Source? I seem to recall that HL: Source isn't running on the source engine proper; but a sort of "duct-tape and bailing wire" hybrid.
    Sort of. I distinctly remember going to HL:S maps in an old version, but I just checked in v9 and it doesn't work unless you use a mini-mod. I have no idea whether it will work in Gmod 10, but it's not worth it even if it does, so it doesn't really matter.

Lork on
    Steam Profile: Lork
  • Options
    Liquid GhostLiquid Ghost DO YOU HEAR THE VOICES, TOO?! Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    People have used Garry's Mod to make Webcomics, Rube Goldberg machines, giant robot fortresses and a metric crapload of other stuff.
    Part of this metric crapload of course being Alyx getting hammered by every single thing in the Half-Life universe.

Liquid Ghost on
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    edited November 2006
    For some reason, I can see GMod's unique stuff, like hydraulics and pulleys and the like ending up in Episode 2.

Athenor on
    He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Part of this metric crapload of course being Alyx getting hammered by every single thing in the Half-Life universe.

Don't forget, lots of Breen abuse too:

http://xzzy.org/movies/ninjabreen_lo.avi

xzzy on
  • Options
    MuridenMuriden Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    I used to have a lot of fun with my roommates using garry's mod.

He would build an elaborate fort using the square wooden crates with multiple walls and levels.

And I would build an enormous cannon to try and demolish it entirely with one shot. Imagine a rocket with many of the explosive barrels teathered to it and once the rocket landed the barrels would fly off in random directions while on fire and then explode destroying more of the fort.

Digital legos ftw.

Muriden on
    MrGulio.332 - Lover of fine Cheeses. Replays
    301787-1.png
  • Options
    Recoil42Recoil42 Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    xzzy wrote:

Don't forget, lots of Breen abuse too:

http://xzzy.org/movies/ninjabreen_lo.avi
    Reminds me of Karate Fighters.

Liquid Ghost on
  • Options
    JerikTelorianJerikTelorian Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Oh. My. God.

I last obsessively checked for information about GMod10 on Sunday, then promptly forgot about it while being totally obsessed with Eve: Revelations.

Going to buy this right now.

EDIT: Maybe not. Now I have to fucking sit through class while thinking about this. I'm very, very close to skipping entirely.

JerikTelorian on
    SteamID -- JerikTelorian
    XBL: LiquidSnake2061
    Shade wrote: »
    Anyone notice how some things (mattresses and the copy machines in Highrise) are totally impenetrable? A steel wall, yeah that makes sense, but bullets should obliterate copy machines.

I don't know about you, but I always buy a bullet proof printer. Its a lot more expensive, but I think the advantages are apparent.
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Recoil42 wrote:

The handstand dancing is pretty darn funny.

xzzy on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    I had forgotten how catchy Scooter's music was, chipmunk voices aside.

Liquid Ghost on
  • Options
    Flesh Into GearFlesh Into Gear Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    xzzy wrote:

Just use an older release? They won't disappear off the internet, and are still heaps of fun.

I kind of liked the earlier releases better, mostly due to the insane feature creep gmod has been getting. I like my toys simple and to the point. ;)

Either way, no matter what you run, it's like computer legos. Fun, and capable of soaking up far more time than you have available.

Yea you're right.

I need to stop being a whore.

Flesh Into Gear on
    katamarisig4ee3f299bd4.png
  • Options
    GSMGSM Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    xzzy wrote:
    Recoil42 wrote:

The handstand dancing is pretty darn funny.
    Surely, somebody must have made a Night at the Rocksbury anim by now? (Image edit doesn't count, must be in engine)

GSM on
    We'll get back there someday.
  • Options
    JJJJ DailyStormer Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    What's the music from the giant robot fortress video? Sounds really good and familiar.

JJ on
  • Options
    The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2006
    I don't know if I'm happy or not, but I am the creator of one of the most infamous Garry's Mod creations ever. Got so popular that I believe it netted me a congratulatory email from Garry himself, and is still being stolen to this day. A few people here also made a sig out of a particular close up of this pic.

Now I'm a bout to post an image link, mind you it is NSFW and this was my first G-mod creation ever with one of the most archaic versions that you could hardly do anything with back then. So without further ado..

Click if you dare!

I guess I am happy. :3
    Also for anybody interested there is a rather nice if not vicious story of what I did to somebody that stole it back when I first made it.

The_Spaniard on
    Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    I don't know if I'm happy or not, but I am the creator of one of the most infamous Garry's Mod creations ever. Got so popular that I believe it netted me a congratulatory email from Garry himself, and is still being stolen to this day.

Now I'm a bout to post an image link, mind you it is NSFW and this was my first G-mod creation ever with one of the most archaic versions that you could hardly do anything with back then. So without further ado..

Click if you dare!

Also for anybody interested there is a rather nice if not vicious story of what I did to somebody that stole it back when I first made it.

Heh, I love that image.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    JJJJ DailyStormer Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    I don't know if I'm happy or not, but I am the creator of one of the most infamous Garry's Mod creations ever. Got so popular that I believe it netted me a congratulatory email from Garry himself, and is still being stolen to this day.

Click if you dare!

Heh, I love that image.
    AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

JJ on
  • Options
    IcemopperIcemopper Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    I don't know if I'm happy or not, but I am the creator of one of the most infamous Garry's Mod creations ever. Got so popular that I believe it netted me a congratulatory email from Garry himself, and is still being stolen to this day. A few people here also made a sig out of a particular close up of this pic.

Click if you dare!

I think we can guess what you did to that poor sap. I have a feeling it rhymes with Boat-sea?

Icemopper on