As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Dwarf Fortress: Knowing no mercy, Toady One destroyed our lives!

• Options
    ZampanoZampano Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    My resources are seriously out of whack.

My fortress is sitting on an ocean of gold and silver, and spots of native aluminum that I just dug up. But I have no coal and no iron, so the best metal I can make for combat is bronze, and all of my smelting and forging has to be done with charcoal, since I have no magma either. However, I have three legendary craftdwarfs, and a fourth on the way if my mangled Fisherdwarf gets done with his construction and doesn't die immediately afterwards. So the carvans come in stocked with iron and steel weapons and armor and leave with huge piles of stone mugs and bone piccolos.

I'm just glad I settled in a wooded area with almost unlimited trees.

Oh, also my biome had exactly one animal when I started: an alligator. I killed it in my first year. And my dwarves are still making engravings of it.

Zampano on
    BrawlSig.gif
  • Options
    Amikron DevaliaAmikron Devalia I didn't ask for this title. Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    So is there a way to just, tell my dwarves to die, or fuck off, I want to do a solo dwarf action but I dont want to have to use them to kill themselves or something, plus they keep stealing my food the bastards.

Amikron Devalia on
  • Options
    BlueDestinyBlueDestiny Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    So is there a way to just, tell my dwarves to die, or fuck off, I want to do a solo dwarf action but I dont want to have to use them to kill themselves or something, plus they keep stealing my food the bastards.

Build a fairly square bridge that retracts to a side, link it to a lever, draft the dwarves you want dead, station them under the raised bridge, pull lever. Instant dwarf paste!

Also that dragon may have had hacked off limbs, since that is also grey.. Did you notice how dark the injuries listings were?

BlueDestiny on
  • Options
    WoggleWoggle OheoRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009

You're playing dwarf fortress. Your means of dorf disposal are only limited by the map and your creativity.

For instance you could do the boring Atomizer, or if you have a cliff handy, launch them and see how far you can get them to go before you run out of conscious ammunition. :D

If you don't have a cliff...

Make one. :twisted:

Woggle on
  • Options
    Lux782Lux782 Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    "When I see 'carp' in my unit list I read it as 'crap'."

Lux782 on
  • Options
    Amikron DevaliaAmikron Devalia I didn't ask for this title. Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    See I have bridged before, but wanted to avoid my remaining dwarf to go crazy, its ok I managed, used the bridge to fling them into a pit. rather fun, remaining one went insane and then decided to chase her buddies into said pit.

Amikron Devalia on
  • Options
    DkarrdeDkarrde Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    hmxmoss wrote: »
    Dkarrde wrote: »
    A dragon showed up at my fort today. I started crying until I noticed he was slightly injured. And unconscious. Basically, I think the dragon tripped upon entering the region and went into a coma.

One of my hammerdwarfs crept up quietly and bashed it in the skull. No more dragon.

Maybe he had an eye torn out by one of his previous conquests.

Not eye injuries... leg and wing, iirc, and both were gray, which means very minor, also iirc. Perhaps he was just dozing?

You've been at this for a long time, so I'm not gonna get too pedantic, but are you sure they weren't dark grey, for lopped off? Two reasons I ask: first, light grey injuries on a very strong creature (such as a megabeast) will heal almost instantly -- I'm not sure how you would even have spotted them. Second, I can't imagine anything else but severe injury that would cause unconsciousness.

As for the first, I guess since it pauses when it enters, you'd see the light grey injuries... I dunno. That's just really weird all around, if they weren't lopped off, and I'd have to agree with you. Tripped on a rock.

Dkarrde on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    JesuitsJesuits Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    A dragon showed up at my fort today. I started crying until I noticed he was slightly injured. And unconscious. Basically, I think the dragon tripped upon entering the region and went into a coma.

One of my hammerdwarfs crept up quietly and bashed it in the skull. No more dragon.

Maybe he had an eye torn out by one of his previous conquests.

Not eye injuries... leg and wing, iirc, and both were gray, which means very minor, also iirc. Perhaps he was just dozing?

You've been at this for a long time, so I'm not gonna get too pedantic, but are you sure they weren't dark grey, for lopped off? Two reasons I ask: first, light grey injuries on a very strong creature (such as a megabeast) will heal almost instantly -- I'm not sure how you would even have spotted them. Second, I can't imagine anything else but severe injury that would cause unconsciousness.

As for the first, I guess since it pauses when it enters, you'd see the light grey injuries... I dunno. That's just really weird all around, if they weren't lopped off, and I'd have to agree with you. Tripped on a rock.

Could be the dragon had other, more serious injuries that you wouldn't see unless you scrolled down. I've scratched my head many a time trying to find out why a dorf is always passing out because i didnt scroll down the wound list.

Jesuits on
    tf2_sig.png
  • Options
    OhtsamOhtsam Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    SHIITTTT
    using the newby tutorial I've finally learned how to play this game
    There goes my gpr this semester

Ohtsam on
  • Options
    FunkyWaltDoggFunkyWaltDogg Columbia, SCRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I've finally gotten over my fear of the third dimension and started a fort in the current version. The game seems easier if anything, especially farming.

FunkyWaltDogg on
  • Options
    CohsaeCohsae Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I honestly don't know how anyone played this before there were Z-levels.

Cohsae on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    gilraingilrain Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Cohsae wrote: »
    We were glad, glad!, to have even just our two dimensions! You kids and your newfangled axes. :x

gilrain on
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    The game does feel much easier than before

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    hmxmosshmxmoss Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    As for the dragon's injuries... There was only two things injured: no ones hidden by scrolling. I did check the wiki later and noticed the "lopped off" status; however, the dragon was already dead at that time, so I'm not sure what the gray level was.

It would seem, though, that might be the more likely scenario... It was missing a couple of limbs and, somehow, managed to crawl into the region before falling unconscious. In which case, I put it out of its misery.

hmxmoss on
    burning.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    gilrain wrote: »
    Cohsae wrote: »
    We were glad, glad!, to have even just our two dimensions! You kids and your newfangled axes. :x

I imagine walking uphill both ways is very difficult when you have no Z-levels.

hmxmoss on
    burning.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Lux782 wrote: »
    "When I see 'carp' in my unit list I read it as 'crap'."

When you see crap, you see crap? I don't get it... :P

hmxmoss on
    burning.jpg
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I got my first batch of migrants! Unfortunately, on the way in while carrying their stuff, two of them died (one to an alligator, the other... I forgot). Population is 15, which means twice as many people doing nothing. One of them is a child.

I had to turn my original woodcutter into an axedwarf because some kobold bitches were stealing from me every now and then. I couldn't figure out how to send him after them, but setting him on patrol outside my fort entrance seems to have done the job.

I've given everyone their own bedrooms, tiny, and have a bitchin' quarry going on underneath the fort. I've smelted some materials, but I'm not sure where they're doing once smelted. I was going to build a metalsmith shop, but oops, no anvil. Now I have to trade for one.

I've gotta say, I'm not thrilled with the limit on weight when traders arrive. I had statues I couldn't trade up because they were way over the limit.

Henroid on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Henroid wrote: »
    I've gotta say, I'm not thrilled with the limit on weight when traders arrive. I had statues I couldn't trade up because they were way over the limit.

I usually have at least one bar of metal I can get from them; often they are relatively inexpensive but quit heavy, so that makes all the room I need to load them down with my goods. Plus I'll often get metals that I can't find.

I'll even request of their liason to bring certain metals at times. For example, my current fort's leader has a fetish for bronze items. I've got bucketfuls of copper ore in these hills, but haven't seen a scrap of tin, so that's what I ask for. Cheap to buy, then load them up with stone crafts.

hmxmoss on
    burning.jpg
  • Options
    SelnerSelner Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    As for the dragon's injuries... There was only two things injured: no ones hidden by scrolling. I did check the wiki later and noticed the "lopped off" status; however, the dragon was already dead at that time, so I'm not sure what the gray level was.

Are dragons considered "historical figures"? I suppose it's possible that during world gen the dragon was created and had some sort of epic battle with another "historical figure", won the fight but was injured in the process.

Maybe one of your dorfs will engrave something and explain everything :) .

Selner on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Selner wrote: »

Are dragons considered "historical figures"? I suppose it's possible that during world gen the dragon was created and had some sort of epic battle with another "historical figure", won the fight but was injured in the process.

Maybe one of your dorfs will engrave something and explain everything :) .

They're engraving, but mostly they talk about:
    1. The dwarfs are traveling; they establish new fort blah-blah.
    2. The dwarf is surrounded by the dwarfs; so-and-so ascends to leadership of fort blah-blah.
    3. The dwarf is falling; he-who-falls has collided with an object.

But maybe at some point they'll get to the dragon.

hmxmoss on
    burning.jpg
  • Options
    RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I got my first batch of migrants! Unfortunately, on the way in while carrying their stuff, two of them died (one to an alligator, the other... I forgot). Population is 15, which means twice as many people doing nothing. One of them is a child.

I had to turn my original woodcutter into an axedwarf because some kobold bitches were stealing from me every now and then. I couldn't figure out how to send him after them, but setting him on patrol outside my fort entrance seems to have done the job.

I've given everyone their own bedrooms, tiny, and have a bitchin' quarry going on underneath the fort. I've smelted some materials, but I'm not sure where they're doing once smelted. I was going to build a metalsmith shop, but oops, no anvil. Now I have to trade for one.

Every year the traders bring more and more wagons. Even in year 2 they can haul a hell of a lot of weight in those things.

RiemannLives on
    Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    SelnerSelner Registered User regular
    edited March 2009

Stone in general makes for heavy stuff.
    Shell and bone are much lighter. Which is why if I'm Embarking in a place that's relatively calm I always bring a Hunter. Gets me all kinds of meat, bone and skin.

Even then, I still lose Hunters to Cougars and the like. With my current fort I'm on my third Hunter. The 3rd one killed the Cougar, and got mangled in the process. But he got better and now kills Cougars with the help of his trusty doggies.

And if there's no carp, I can make someone go fish. Fish give bone too. Or if you fish in ponds you get turtles, which give shells.

Selner on
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Gotta set them for off-limits to cooks though.

Henroid on
  • Options
    FrosteeyFrosteey Elaise 1521-2945-8940Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    The game does feel much easier than before

I think it's the lack of cave-ins. And the farming. Those seemed to be the big two hurdles back then, and the former always remained a pain.

Frosteey on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    When does the IP Hit counter reset anyhow? I managed to hit it earlier today by showing two friends Urban Dead.. and now I can't search for more shells for my newly found shotgun :(

edit: guessing i posted that in the wrong thread, 8-)

Amikron Devalia on
  • Options
    VerrVerr Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Sometimes I miss the Z-axis. Yeah, it made super-projects a bitch, but it was kinda nice having clear, definable check points. Knowing you're going to hit the river, knowing that a chasm is coming, etc...

Verr on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    My latest fortress has had approximately 24 deaths!

Several deaths from jumping/falling off the catwalk, a few stupid cave-ins dumping large rocks on heads, a few incoming merchants from siege and a couple of my warriors from pets. A few from sparring accidents (war hammers are apparently dangerous!)...

I just dealt with an ambush of abt 7 gobs, all of whom died, but took out two of my dwarfs. One was carrying her baby, which after the battle I noticed was crawling around on the ground, unhappy.

I went to take care of other things... dealing with cleanup, getting stuff to the depot (traders arrived during the battle), getting certain things made. Next thing I know:

Baby has collided with an obstacle.

What? I look back near the battle where I last saw the child... It would seem the baby climbed up the tower that looms over the battle scene and jumped... committed suicide (okay, maybe just fell, but...). Damn moat is all bloody now.

hmxmoss on
    burning.jpg
  • Options
    WoggleWoggle OheoRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    nhrn wrote: »
    My current fortresses location is so perfect I may cry if anything goes wrong. So perfect I will set up that carp booby trap!

Care to share the seed and what features it's got?

Woggle on
  • Options
    nhrnnhrn Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Once I've figured out which files I will need to upload I will be happy to share the seed. Oh and as for features granite has been the most common rock so far and about 5 other types of rock as well, plenty of water about, nice sandy loam for farms and storage (I hate messy looking storage) plenty of wood out front, I've found about 4 different lumps of gems. Loads of room for expansion (I love mountain sides) I have yet to discover magma or bauxite yet, not worried though has I've still got tons of space to excavate.

nhrn on
  • Options
    CohsaeCohsae Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    OK can someone give me some sort of beginners guide to waterwheels and using the power for a millstone? I have a waterwheel connected to an axle, then there's a gear assembly, they are all spinning (at least that's what it looks like) but when I put the millstone there (I just have it next to the assembly because I'm not sure where to put it) it doesn't work. Jobs get cancelled due to no power or something. Halp.

Cohsae on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    http://www.dwarffortresswiki.net/index.php/Millstone

has a little guide on it that may help

Amikron Devalia on
  • Options
    EkkosangenEkkosangen Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Just wanted to check in on year 6. :P

Ekkosangen on
    eG6Oz.jpg
    <+Arco> You can totally bone with a baby in there. If you bump up against something, just apologize to the little dude and adjust.
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Ekkosangen wrote: »
    Just wanted to check in on year 6. :P

jdarksun is a bit busy, so I'll be starting on year 6 tomorrow evening. He may then do the following year.

hmxmoss on
    burning.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    So my fortress has almost 50 people. Yay. I've lost 2 to wild life (they were migrants who got killed on their way in), and one went crazy, stripped down naked, and a half year later he finally died of thirst. Right now, one of my guys is isolating himself from society. And I needs me a sheriff! I've already armed my military to the teeth with crossbows. I need some cut-able stone to make swords, since I have no anvil.

I built a mill using the stylish design thing linked above, but it didn't work. I did construct the mill itself first though, and I didn't know you could go mill on one level and windmill immediately above it.

I wonder if there are any LP's of this game. Good ones, that is.

Henroid on
  • Options
    SulSeekerSulSeeker Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    So, found out half a mined out Z-level will bring a 3.4ghz Core I7 to it's knees. :x This game needs to become multi-threaded like yesterday.

SulSeeker on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    So my fortress has almost 50 people. Yay. I've lost 2 to wild life (they were migrants who got killed on their way in), and one went crazy, stripped down naked, and a half year later he finally died of thirst. Right now, one of my guys is isolating himself from society. And I needs me a sheriff! I've already armed my military to the teeth with crossbows. I need some cut-able stone to make swords, since I have no anvil.

I built a mill using the stylish design thing linked above, but it didn't work. I did construct the mill itself first though, and I didn't know you could go mill on one level and windmill immediately above it.

Boat. Murdered.

Amikron Devalia on
  • Options
    DkarrdeDkarrde Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I need some cut-able stone to make swords, since I have no anvil.

If you don't know, the only stone at present that works for making 'swords' is obsidian. I forget what the name is for them; they're more like cricket bats lined with embedded, jagged chunks of obsidian. Some Aztec name.

You won't find obsidian on a map without magma, unless it's one of the rock layers. I suppose you could request it from the caravans.

Dkarrde on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    I didn't check for magma. In fact, I did my search of an area to settle into by eye. Some small hills to dig into (which I've done from atop one), some wildlife around, plenty of bushes and trees. Not that they're really that needed, as my stone source is pretty solid. Solid enough that I've been able to dump all this siltstone shit into several garbage bins, as I have access to a lot of gypsum and bauxite (or whatever it is called). Gotta be stylish and not work with mud, right?

What happens if I don't give my army a patrol route? Do they just kinda hang out in the barracks and automatically respond to things? Or not respond to things at all?

My to-do-list right now consists of having a statue garden being made, fixing up the noble quarters, and double checking everyone's jobs. I have a feeling I'm going to lose this smith I brought along, since I haven't been able to make a metalsmith shop for him. He's just like, "Man, fuck this shit."

This Boatmurdered LP is pretty cool.

Henroid on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    So I've had one noble with me all along who was doing the book keeping, trading, and other social nonsense. I just so happened to name him Henroid. He had a fit of weird mood and claimed a craftsman shop. Damn it. Then he started running around, wildly collecting some stones, bones, and wood, and finally started working on a secret project. Ooohhh!

When it was all said and done, he made an idol of some vague sort, and became a Craftsman instead of a noble. And along with that, started doing the legendary flashy thing. Wowza.

A trade caravan arrived, and shortly after some migrants came up. Population is at 69, and now Henroid is the first elected mayor of the fort. I've appointed JJ to be my sheriff, and the fort watch is now available. How awesome.

Henroid on
  • Options
    tehmarkentehmarken BrooklynRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009

Boat. Murdered.

You misspelled Oceanside.

tehmarken on