As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Dwarf Fortress: Knowing no mercy, Toady One destroyed our lives!

• Options
    TheKoolEagleTheKoolEagle Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    you know i should really think better about when i'm channeling magma and water into my fort, it never goes right :|

TheKoolEagle on
    uNMAGLm.png Mon-Fri 8:30 PM CST - 11:30 PM CST
  • Options
    FendallFendall Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I think we've all screwed up stuff like that. My most recent mistake was failing to correctly build a 10 Z-level pumping system from an underground river up to my farms. I sat and carefully planned it out, drawing diagrams and stuff. Literally squares of gears, axles, pumps, channels and reservoirs. All windmill powered of course.

Turns out pumps only block water coming from directly behind the rear square, if it comes from the side it just overflows, floods your fort, and you have to scramble to dismantle a crazed runnaway windmill relentlessly pumping water into your fort.

Fendall on
  • Options
    SmurphSmurph Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Oh man. Poor little dwarfs. I had to reformat my home computer's OS partition after a badly botched repair install of windows. Unfortunately I had never moved my DF folder from my desktop to my "Games" partition. So my first fort, along with the entire world it resided in, has been forever lost to forces beyond a simple dwarf's comprehension. Time to start over and learn from past mistakes.

Smurph on
  • Options
    EkkosangenEkkosangen Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    So I decided in my upcoming D&D campaign that I would like to feature a dwarf fortress. Throw it up on that site thingamajig that shows fort maps, etc. and I'll pick one (or combine some) and map it out. If you want, go ahead and PM me. My only requirement is that it have some sort of relatively-obvious feature outside.

Doesn't have to be well-dug or anything, chaotic the better. Traps are a plus, as is a lava pipe. An artifact or two would be a great reward.

Ekkosangen on
    eG6Oz.jpg
    <+Arco> You can totally bone with a baby in there. If you bump up against something, just apologize to the little dude and adjust.
  • Options
    Hotlead JunkieHotlead Junkie Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Ekkosangen wrote: »
    So I decided in my upcoming D&D campaign that I would like to feature a dwarf fortress. Throw it up on that site thingamajig that shows fort maps, etc. and I'll pick one (or combine some) and map it out. If you want, go ahead and PM me. My only requirement is that it have some sort of relatively-obvious feature outside.

Doesn't have to be well-dug or anything, chaotic the better. Traps are a plus, as is a lava pipe. An artifact or two would be a great reward.

Boatmurdered

Hotlead Junkie on
    tf2_sig.png
  • Options
    edited April 2009

Boatmurdered

More like Clichémurdered. :winky:

I had thought about it, and decided that the PCs would probably pull the "fuck the world" lever if they found it.

EDIT: I guess I should explain that it would be bad, considering that a major town is relatively nearby. I would have to consider if the "magma" would make it there.

Ekkosangen on
    eG6Oz.jpg
    <+Arco> You can totally bone with a baby in there. If you bump up against something, just apologize to the little dude and adjust.
  • Options
    ArkanArkan Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Arkan on
    Big, honkin' pile of WoW characters
    I think it's hard for someone not to rage at mario kart, while shouting "Fuck you Donkey Kong. Whose dick did you suck to get all those red shells?"
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Arkan wrote: »

Jesus shitballs, I'm looking for a dungeon, not a campaign. :P

Ekkosangen on
    eG6Oz.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Only do part of it, then. :P

Mostly I like the idea of a castle-within-a-fortress.

Arkan on
    I think it's hard for someone not to rage at mario kart, while shouting "Fuck you Donkey Kong. Whose dick did you suck to get all those red shells?"
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Traps are really not good in adventure mode. As in, they're not balanced in it at all, and can't be disarmed or spotted by adventurers. You can't get out of cage traps if you get caught in one. It might even crash if you do that. That's why traps are turned off in adventurer mode by default in the init.txt settings.

In fort news, had a fey dwarf go berserk today, was looking grim until my entire fortress guard tackled him and hacked him to pieces at once.

Copperblazes and boatmurdered are both in the old 2d version sadly.

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    So i'm digging down to my underground river, to start building the pumping system for my dining-room waterfall. I have a pretty rediculous river, it starts about 10 tiles off the edge of my map, and flows off the map. It still has a full compliment of river creatures, all crammed in this tiny space. I send my compliment of champion wrestlers down for the break to take care of the onslaught that I know is coming. The miner picks away the last square and the Frogmen and Giant Olms issue forth!
    They're no match for my champions, of course. Then I notice that only one of them is still standing by. Where'd the other three go? Oh. Down a z level. Into the river. Surrounded by scores of river creatures. I quickly degisnate an upward ramp, hoping a miner can arrive in time to rescue my champions from a watery grave.
    While I wait for the miner to arrive, my champions calmly wrestle all the river beasts to death while underwater.

Then they drown.
    I cancel the ramp designation.

Worst of all, since they're buried at the source of a cave river, I have no way of getting their corpses back for a fitting burial.

Then, right after that, I got some migrants to replace them. First guy took two steps, went into a fey mood, claimed a shop, and started asking for specific cut gems. Yeah he went crazy.

Aioua on
    life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Options
    The One Dark KnightThe One Dark Knight Registered User regular
    edited April 2009

Holy shit what.

He's got... adamantine statues

Truly that fortress is the culmination of dwarfdom.

I had a pretty impressive 135 dwarf fortress at some point, though I stopped playing it because I'd completely wiped out all local goblin tribes and if anything showed up, it got instantly dominated by my team of demi-god triple legendary combat dwarves.

I'm honestly just waiting for the next version to come out with proper beards, skin and tissue layers, new underground world gen, more aggressive creatures, horrible wounds, proper healing, aging... awww yeah.

The One Dark Knight on
    [END]
  • Options
    edited April 2009

Holy shit what.

I had a pretty impressive 135 dwarf fortress at some point, though I stopped playing it because I'd completely wiped out all local goblin tribes and if anything showed up, it got instantly dominated by my team of demi-god triple legendary combat dwarves.

I'm honestly just waiting for the next version to come out with proper beards, skin and tissue layers, new underground world gen, more aggressive creatures, horrible wounds, proper healing, aging... awww yeah.

They're not adamantine, I'm pretty sure they're clear glass.

Remember, in 2d mining any adamantine was a death sentence, you didn't want to fritter it away.

Arkan on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    My grand master plan for the next edition is to make a heavily religious dwarven society ruled by a theocracy that bans anything un-dwarvenly and rules with an iron fist.

Also I am 100% intent on declaring war on all neighboring elf factions. Pansies never bring anything useful anyway. And none of that 'living above ground' junk. Also a magma cannon or two.

The One Dark Knight on
    [END]
  • Options
    NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular
    edited April 2009

Syrupdwellings

Has piles of artifacts, most of them useless crafts.

NEO|Phyte on
    It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
    Warframe/Steam: NFyt
  • Options
    delrolanddelroland Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Is it possible to create pontoons or any sort of structure that floats in water?

I ask because I am imagining Dwarfen pirates who sail their entire fortress over the ocean to do piratey things.

delroland on
    EVE: Online - the most fun you will ever have not playing a game.
    "Go up, thou bald head." -2 Kings 2:23
  • Options
    BehemothBehemoth Compulsive Seashell Collector Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    delroland wrote: »
    Is it possible to create pontoons or any sort of structure that floats in water?

I ask because I am imagining Dwarfen pirates who sail their entire fortress over the ocean to do piratey things.

Nope.

In the current version, nothing floats.

Behemoth on
    iQbUbQsZXyt8I.png
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    You can fake it by building a column underneath it though.

Or a gangplank that's a floor instead of a bridge.

Arkan on
  • Options
    NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    You can fake it by building a column underneath it though.

Or a gangplank that's a floor instead of a bridge.

Or by turning off caveins in your init.

NEO|Phyte on
    It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
    Warframe/Steam: NFyt
  • Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    edited May 2009

Holy shit what.

They're not adamantine, I'm pretty sure they're clear glass.

Remember, in 2d mining any adamantine was a death sentence, you didn't want to fritter it away.

With a fortress that size, using it on weapons or armor would have been even more of a waste.

jothki on
  • Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Hmmm, waterfalls are hard.

I thought that having my feed channel be two tiles wide and my exit channel being 4 tiles wide would cover me, but nope. It's still overflowing and backing up. And that's with only one pump! I'm glad I put in a shutoff switch. I think i'll dig my exit tunnel down so its like 5 z-levels deep. That should take care of it.

Aioua on
    life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Aioua wrote: »
    Hmmm, waterfalls are hard.

I thought that having my feed channel be two tiles wide and my exit channel being 4 tiles wide would cover me, but nope. It's still overflowing and backing up. And that's with only one pump! I'm glad I put in a shutoff switch. I think i'll dig my exit tunnel down so its like 5 z-levels deep. That should take care of it.

Yeah, making waterfalls can be a bit obnoxious. My current setup uses a main water feed 4 tiles wide which splits into 4 1-tile wide offshoots. The four waterfalls created are located at every exit to the sleeping area so dwarves normally encounter at least once going to sleep and once after waking up.

The problem? One of the offshoots is closer to the main source than all the others; as a result, it drains more water. The drainage system beneath the sleeping area is enough to keep the one spot from overflowing, but not enough to keep it well-drained. As a result, I constantly get messages for job cancellations due to dangerous terrain. I could shut down the system and go fix it, but this is Dwarf Fortress. Just because it's a little broken doesn't mean it actually needs to be fixed.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options
    ArcibiArcibi Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    My first serious serious fort is underway (Flashpick got boring and I hated how it was the least efficiently designed fortress ever, so now I'm presiding over Shadyflag)

I had the idea that I'd dig out a moat in the weirdest way ever. Basically it would flow in from the river and pour into the moat, then empty back into the river on the other side. Pretty good, right?

Except I was dumb and made it flow in from BOTH sides and didn't realize it until the moat started overflowing

So I dig out a channel for the water to drain into that would pour back into the river on the next lower z-level. Then THAT meets with disaster when I dig too close to a slope. Now the river is flooding everywhere and there's too much water to just build walls to stop the flow. Fortunately for me the river freezes in the winter and it's late autumn, and the flooding isn't threatening my fortress just yet so I can wait it out

Winter comes and sure enough, the river freezes and I can go put walls up to stop the river from flooding the entire world. Gotta dig through some of the ice to get to where the walls need to go, but that'll be easy, right? Well it turns out that some of that ice is two z-levels high. The first section of ice I dig out caves in and kills my best miner :(

I did get the walls put up, but winter isn't over yet, and I'm sure once the ice thaws it'll show that I fucked up this whole moat business yet again, somehow

Arcibi on
    GameTrailers | Goozex | Check out: Arcibi's Dev Blog and Robot House Games
    tmntsigshrunkre4.jpg
    Wii: 5024 6786 2934 2806 | Steam/XBL: Arcibi | FFXI: Arcibi / Bahamut
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    I found a picture of my old ass fortress Spiralsling, 132 dwarves strong. Spoilered for massive and very intimidating.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v225/Mr.Black/Spiralsling-21-region1-1059-6087.jpg
    Spiralsling-21-region1-1059-6087.jpg

It was a complete bloody messy warren of tunnels. All the manufacturing was in the south, the farms were in the southwest, including a walled off above ground farm area for growing human/elf plants for export. I think most of our exports were armor, weaponry, and high quality stone crafts come to think of it.

There was a full moat encircling the front and south entrances to the fort. The top entrance of the fort was encircled by a wall with two front guard towers and a bridge that retracted into the moat.

Kitchens and many levels of dining halls by the front gate, barracks and weapon stockpiles to the south.

North was mostly residential, with a central market area. My mayor lived in a 7 or 8 z level tower with green glass windows, completely made out of obsidian, that jutted out of the main above ground fortress.

All four of the entrance to my fort were protected by retractable bridges and horrendous traps. Most importantly (and I'm very proud of this), you can see in the central sand hall there, there is an indoor moat, that had bridges of its own, which were 100% retractable, sealing off the throne room, crypts, and dining areas completely in case of an emergency. There was even a food and booze stockpile on the other side of considerable size.

I also had a waterfall filled dining room that nobody went to, and a very nice indoor well. The river diversion project to get the water into a huge underground lake beneath my fortress, and then pump it up 4 or five z levels was rather considerable.

EDIT:

My best artifact was worth something like 95,000 I think. Its name was 'slappedcold the decay of wails'. It was a shoe.

The One Dark Knight on
    [END]
  • Options
    WitchsightWitchsight Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Whoa... I just had a hunting dog die of old age.

I think thats the most unnatural death to occur in any of my Dwarf Forts D:

Witchsight on
    Witchsight.png
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Witchsight wrote: »
    Whoa... I just had a hunting dog die of old age.

I think thats the most unnatural death to occur in any of my Dwarf Forts D:

I had a dwarf fall into a trap once.

The One Dark Knight on
    [END]
  • Options
    AntinumericAntinumeric Registered User regular
    edited May 2009

No no no, Orbinches is the ultimate dungeon. I would love to play a dnd game which at least visited that place. And remember that for mapping- most of it is submerged.

Antinumeric on
    In this moment, I am euphoric. Not because of any phony god’s blessing. But because, I am enlightened by my intelligence.
  • Options
    TekDragonTekDragon __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2009
    I'm 111% sure this has been asked before, but is there a tileset compatible with .40d?

TekDragon on
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    So do hermit fortresses end in anything but disappointment? I figure if I have one dwarf on a small map, the framerate would stay high enough so I could burn through years pretty fast. If I remember correctly, starting out on a decent sized-map with temperature and weather on got me something like 250 FPS. Anyone have any idea how long a game year is in terms of frames? Cuz there's no point in doing this little project if it takes some ridiculous amount of real time to complete.

The idea would be to get a dwarf to die of old age. The problem is that they live something like 200 years, don't they? So obviously I want to keep the framerate ridiculously high. Dig a hole somewhere with some sand, make a farm, and grow and brew enough plants so the dwarf can live for years and years without me having to do anything.

The biggest problem would be the inevitable mood obstacle. If I get the hermit to be a legendary miner before anything else, do I even have to worry about strange moods?

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options
    FendallFendall Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I dont see how moods would be an obstacle as long as you bring materials along at embark. All it would do is boost your hermits stats way up, though a dwarf can only have one mood, so you only get one artifact. Probably a legendary mason or craftsdwarf.

The biggest problem would be military skills since he has no one to spar with. Wait till he is legendary for some stat boosts and turn him into a hunter so he can "spar" with some wildlife. Training him as a marksdwarf is the only other option.

Fendall on
  • Options
    hmxmosshmxmoss Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    TekDragon wrote: »
    I'm 111% sure this has been asked before, but is there a tileset compatible with .40d?

Yes.

All are compatible.

Or did you mean to ask something more specific?

hmxmoss on
    burning.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    So my hermit Quest for Old Age fortress is underway at a lively 400+ FPS average. Hopefully, the FPS will stay that high.

The problem is that my hermit is doing so awesome as far as engraving, farming, and building his underground pyramid tomb, I'm getting 20+ migrants regularly. Every season for the last five years. There are so many immigrants, I have the leftover crazies from two or three waves ago attacking the newest immigrants. These are the dumbest immigrants ever. There's not even enough vermin to go around there are so many suicidal immigrants piling up.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options
    FunkyWaltDoggFunkyWaltDogg Columbia, SCRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Fendall wrote: »
    I dont see how moods would be an obstacle as long as you bring materials along at embark. All it would do is boost your hermits stats way up, though a dwarf can only have one mood, so you only get one artifact. Probably a legendary mason or craftsdwarf.

The biggest problem would be military skills since he has no one to spar with. Wait till he is legendary for some stat boosts and turn him into a hunter so he can "spar" with some wildlife. Training him as a marksdwarf is the only other option.

As long as the population never reaches 20 you'll never get a mood. Alternatively, come in prepared and let him have his one mood. Just getting him to legendary doesn't solve the problem as legends can still have a mood if they trained their skill the hard way.

FunkyWaltDogg on
  • Options
    DkarrdeDkarrde Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    So my hermit Quest for Old Age fortress is underway at a lively 400+ FPS average. Hopefully, the FPS will stay that high.

The problem is that my hermit is doing so awesome as far as engraving, farming, and building his underground pyramid tomb, I'm getting 20+ migrants regularly. Every season for the last five years. There are so many immigrants, I have the leftover crazies from two or three waves ago attacking the newest immigrants. These are the dumbest immigrants ever. There's not even enough vermin to go around there are so many suicidal immigrants piling up.

In case you haven't:

Pull up the init.txt file in your /data/init folder, scroll down to [POPULATION_CAP:XX], and set XX to 1. This isn't a perfect solution, as migrants have been known to arrive in singles anyway, but it's better than having to dispose of them 20 at a time.

You'll need to restart the DF program in order for it to work, but it will work with existing savegames.

Dkarrde on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    JintorJintor Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I can't think of too many things more fun than having to dispose of 20 immigrants at a time.

Jintor on
  • Options
    BehemothBehemoth Compulsive Seashell Collector Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Jintor wrote: »
    I can't think of too many things more fun than having to dispose of 20 immigrants at a time.

It's what upright spike traps are made for.

Behemoth on
    iQbUbQsZXyt8I.png
  • Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Jintor wrote: »

Would funnelling them into a one-wide corridor with a ballista at the end stop the hermit practising with it? Seems like an appropriate "Get off moi laaand" reaction.

Rhesus Positive on
    [Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    WoggleWoggle OheoRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    You should totally make dwarf (corpses) butcherable. Then construct a pit of misery and death, covered by drawbridges that have a meeting hall designated on top of them. The unsuspecting immigrants congregate on top of the bridges, then they get to test their ability to survive drowning, dodging traps or falling 10 z-levels.

You'll never run out of food. :twisted:

Woggle on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Oh lordy, I find a good site and it's full of carp. This one will be Fun™.

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Now wait a minute. Why are my dwarves trying to drink from places other than the drinking zones I designated? I was thinking that would keep them from going near the stream, but apparently they all have death wishes.

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif