As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Dwarf Fortress: Knowing no mercy, Toady One destroyed our lives!

• Options
    WoggleWoggle OheoRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Ancient beasts older than time, they lurk in the murky depths, waiting... always waiting.

More horrifying than dragons, more fearsome than titans, the biggest danger to dwarves in the world.
    Groundhogs!
    Just kidding.
    It's really...
    Gnomes! [tiny]and carp[/tiny]

Woggle on
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I'm still deciding on whether or not I'm going to build an artificial house outside the actual fort for nobles. I'll like, station some military guys there I guess.

Henroid on
  • Options
    TheKoolEagleTheKoolEagle Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    dooo it

TheKoolEagle on
    uNMAGLm.png Mon-Fri 8:30 PM CST - 11:30 PM CST
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I'm building a golden tower that goes up to the near top of the mountain at the moment. I'm not sure if I'm going to make it separate from the actual noble's quarters or if they have to walk outside briefly for it. There's room underneath their build space for the actual quarters to have their mausoleums and such. In return for it, they can have the military present to hold off attackers instead of me losing my main living quarters / trade area.

Edit - Hey if I have guards stationed on the top of the tower, only one floor above the ground (not walled-in), could they fire from up there on intruders with their crossbows?

Henroid on
  • Options
    hmxmosshmxmoss Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    piL wrote: »
    Oh Goddamnit, I lost my woodcutter and the two wardogs I had with him to the famed Gebnitig "Dented Bites"...

The fucking carp.

Robotic carp!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M7YGEVuJ4mM

More robotic fish to devour your dwarfs:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eO9oseiCTdk

hmxmoss on
    burning.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Henroid wrote: »
    I'm still deciding on whether or not I'm going to build an artificial house outside the actual fort for nobles. I'll like, station some military guys there I guess.

Make a treehouse for your nobles.

Then chop down the tree as they sleep.

:winky:

hmxmoss on
    burning.jpg
  • Options
    XtarathXtarath Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Toady One wrote: »
    After a brief period of the doctor walking up to our injured dwarf, looking at himself and deciding that nothing was wrong, the medical staff were further educated. Then the doctor went off and grabbed the wooden splint and properly fastened it on the patient's right lower arm. The dwarf left the hospital and mined out a passage with the pick in his left hand.

Next up is 40d10. There's quite a bit left to do with health care, but the correct treatment today means that much of the rest should flow by pretty quickly. I might still get a chance to work with it a bit in the next few days. Either way, the underground's still up for April.

I don't know if I'm just a huge nerd, but that sounds awesome!

Xtarath on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    hmxmoss wrote: »

Make a treehouse for your nobles.

Then chop down the tree as they sleep.

:winky:

I gave the tower an accessible rooftop, and construction on the noble house (separate building, nearby) is well underway. I'm making the first room upon entering a barracks for the military dudes I have guarding the hilltop (gonna expand it as I get more dwarves added to the squad / add more squads). Aside from providing housing to the noble and easy access to the hills above, this place is serving as a safeguard for the elven and human caravans that come around. The elves enter the area from the bottom of the valley, just north of the noblehouse, and the humans come in from the hilltop just south of the house. So my army can respond quickly.

The caravans themselves still have to enter the main gate though, so I still need defenses there.

I had a brutal-ass battle against some goblin ambushers this morning. A siege engineer was going up on a hill to replace some traps, and a band of goblins jumped out after he passed by. Worse yet, after one of them was killed, another batch appear right on the engineer, and he was dead after he put up a brave fight and ripped off a goblin's arm.

The rest of the goblins tried raiding the front gate, but my army took care of them rather easily. No other deaths or injuries.

Henroid on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Oceanside progresses... I had done a little last night but lost progress due to a crash. Which is fortunate (perhaps? perhaps not?) because in that failed, parallel universe, Andrew Ryan had been swept off the slippery pier into the waters and drowned. :D

But anyway, I'm at it again now, pumping out another section to wall up.

dwarfort003.png

EDIT: Also, elven traders came and went. They had little of interest. A small bit of cloth, some seeds, and booze. Took pretty much what was useful in exchange for some dirty goblin underwear. The elves were very excited to receive those; I've no idea why.

hmxmoss on
    burning.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    I demand more screenshots of Oceanside. I can't believe you guys are actually getting it done. XD

Henroid on
  • Options
    VerrVerr Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Did that one guy with that one seed ever put it up? Specific I know.

Verr on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    At this very moment, I can divide Oceanside into five groups, roughly equal in size:
    • Nobles, children, diners, drinkers and sleepers
    • Military dwarfs
    • Dwarfs attending parties
    • Dwarfs sitting around, doing nothing (except, perhaps, "mining" for nose gold)
    • Those actually laboring for the collective good

Unacceptable! How are we to complete the glorious underwater complex if they will not work!!! :evil:

hmxmoss on
    burning.jpg
  • Options
    tehmarkentehmarken BrooklynRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Make axes, get more guys harvesting the forest, more people burning coal, more collecting sand, more glass being made.

Always more glass needs to be made. Forever making glass. A never ending sea of green glass.

tehmarken on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    tehmarken wrote: »
    Make axes, get more guys harvesting the forest, more people burning coal, more collecting sand, more glass being made.

Always more glass needs to be made. Forever making glass. A never ending sea of green glass.

I think we have enough for harvesting the forest.... in fact, perhaps a few too many now that several of them are legendary. But yeah, we definitely need more glassmakers. I just ran out of glass blocks. I'll be reorganizing some the jobs a good deal, as we needs lots more glassmakers and construction workers (i.e. mason/mechanic/architect), and far fewer people partying and searching for nose gold.

But this is the result: new chamber closed in after 3 months. Still needs a roof, but that should be easier than the room itself. Here it is, seconds after the last wall was put in place.

dwarfort004.png

hmxmoss on
    burning.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Screenies time!

Okay, so the bottom of the tower isn't too great, since it technically starts from within the fort. Double stairs for traffic, since it also counts as a shortcut to trees and plants up on the hill. Also say hi to the mayor's office.
    mayortowerbottom.jpg

On the floor above that, you see my asshole dwarves hanging around the statue garden. It's okay though, they actually don't have much to do.
    towerfirst.jpg

Here, the tower continues up evermore, and you can see the work being done on the collective mausoleum I decided to build (fuck individual tombs).
    towersecond.jpg

And here it is, the hilltop! Tower exits, barracks, and the first noble to arrive at my place (the Dungeon Master, I was surprised he showed up) was timed perfectly with the roof over his room almost being done.
    towerthird.jpg

Here's the roof, which will be expanded on later. Considering doing something with the tower. Haven't decided yet. I'm wondering if I could maybe build another tower elsewhere, and connect the two of them in the air.
    towertop.jpg

Henroid on
  • Options
    Guysmiley777Guysmiley777 Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Is there any way to view a list of all dwarves sorted by their skill level in whichever job type?

Guysmiley777 on
  • Options
    SulSeekerSulSeeker Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Dwarf Manager

SulSeeker on
  • Options
    XaviarXaviar Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    So, with Oceanside, I understand the concept of pumping out the first layer of ocean, but how the heck are you going build down from there? Can someone please explain this to me? With diagrams? Or without diagrams.. I just can't figure a good way to do it, and it bothers me.

Xaviar on
  • Options
    FunkyWaltDoggFunkyWaltDogg Columbia, SCRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Is it safe to dump water into a brook to get rid of it?

FunkyWaltDogg on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Xaviar wrote: »
    So, with Oceanside, I understand the concept of pumping out the first layer of ocean, but how the heck are you going build down from there? Can someone please explain this to me? With diagrams? Or without diagrams.. I just can't figure a good way to do it, and it bothers me.

We haven't really gotten to that yet. It takes long enough to get a single room done; doing multiple levels will take a while.

But I imagine doing it in much the same way... A level -1 (one level below surface) room will have to keep its pumps around so that when pumping out level -2 you can keep the level -1 from completely flooding.

But perhaps better, really, is to get scuba dwarfs. :D

Still, good question. I got one simple room built in the first 3 months of my current turn, so maybe I'll take the next 9 months to experiment with that. It doesn't bode well for having an undersea glass city if we can't go that far undersea.

hmxmoss on
    burning.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    The journal of hmxmoss, 10th of Hematite:

Our woodcutters came back with sightings of goblins in the distance. I got several reports, each coming from different directions. After carefully piecing together the reports, it seems like we are in for a serious siege.

Goblins are approaching from five directions... My best estimate is that we are facing just over 40 goblins. Many come without weapons just to harass and hold us down, but there are maces, pikes, bows and crossbows, and spears in their possession as well, and a few of them seem to be experts, best as our scouts can tell.

Crap. I knew I needed to bulk up the military, but this came too soon.

EDIT: Double-crap. I opened up a one-cell entrance near the glass pier in order to make construction quicker. I can close the gate, but I don't know that I can cover that up in time. Wait... where is the gate lever???? Oh shi....

hmxmoss on
    burning.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    No Goblins or Kings here?

Henroid on
  • Options
    freakish lightfreakish light butterdick jones and his heavenly asshole machineRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    No Goblins or Kings here?

Nope. No Gods or Kings, only men.
    I'm so, so sorry.

freakish light on
  • Options
    HamHamJHamHamJ Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Questions:

When building Magma furnaces, do I channel out the space that needs to be over magma or no?

Is Iron magma-proof or only Steel?

HamHamJ on
    While racing light mechs, your Urbanmech comes in second place, but only because it ran out of ammo.
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    The journal of hmxmoss, 11th of Hematite:

I called all dwarfs inside, got the military ready to secure the main entrance in case any gobs got in before I could close the gate.

The wrestlers didn't hear my initial instructions and took off on an old patrol route. I called them back, but they didn't listen to me the first time... They finally got the message and started running for the main gate.

But two squads of goblins ... approximately 30 gobs... were nearly at the gate already. (Yes... about 30 in only two of five squads... initial estimates of about 40 gobs total were only HALF of their force. There are, altogether, 80 goblins on the way.) I had to throw the switch and hope the last three champion wrestlers could get inside before it closed.

Two did. One was a few steps too late. He now stands outside the closed main gate in reach of the first goblin to also be narrowly shut out: a hammer-lord.

Since the door is now securely shut, I'm sending all troops to guard the unprotected entrance; hopefully the fortress guard will hear the noise and come help out. If they don't, we may be doomed.

hmxmoss on
    burning.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    HamHamJ wrote: »
    Questions:

When building Magma furnaces, do I channel out the space that needs to be over magma or no?

According to the wiki iron should be okay.

FunkyWaltDogg on
  • Options
    NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    HamHamJ wrote: »
    Questions:

Yes and Yes, but it should be noted that the furnace only has to be FIREPROOF, not MAGMAPROOF.

NEO|Phyte on
    It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
    Warframe/Steam: NFyt
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    The journal of hmxmoss, 15th of Hematite:

WE HAVE WON!

Tôsedcatten (the lone champion wrestler mentioned above who missed entering by the main gate) feinted a fight with the hammerlord then ran for the breach, assuming her fellow warriors would be waiting there. A wise move... Her training kept her a few paces ahead of the melee, and she was too quick for the goblin archers to get a decent shot.

Once at the breach, the warriors formed up inside and waited. They hoped to draw the gobs just barely inside where a full attack could be made: wrestlers, spears and crossbow. The plan didn't go quite as well as hoped, as the wrestlers got a bit excited and kept most of the fight on the stairs, where crossbow bolts were useless. A late rearrangement made that crossbow effective, and scored one kill and assisted with a few others; this will be kept in mind for future defenses.

One speardwarf got in a couple kills, but the bulk of the goblins' 33 deaths was from the wresters, who harried the gobs on the stairs, preventing them from ever seeing our dwarf halls. It's a bloody mess. Tôsedcatten did quite well but also received the worst of it. She took out seven gobs before falling.

The star of the show, however, was the wrestler Tunaran with 11 kills, including their spearmaster. All without receiving a single scratch!

To their 33 deaths, we lost only two: Tôsedcatten (as mentioned above) and the miner Ofskel, who was in the wrong place at the wrong time. (His wife, a speardwarf, is so ecstatic over the battle, she doesn't really care... but his baby is terribly sad.)

The other 50 goblins -- seeing the severe carnage inflicted upon their brethren -- decided today was not a good day to die. They left.

Damn fortress guard never showed up. Pissers.

dwarfort005.png
    These are just a few of the deaths, aboveground, including the body of Tôsedcatten. Many others occurred down 1 to 3 Z-levels, the entrance being the red (bloody) downward arrow next to the leftmost goblin corpse.

EDIT: Also, one child was found running around outside. Guess he never heard the call to come inside. Thank goodness the worst of his lot is that he's thirsty.

EDIT v2: Here's a movie of some of the battle. Not such a great movie, I had a hard time figuring out exactly what was going on.
    http://mkv25.net/dfma/movie-1196-holdthefort

hmxmoss on
    burning.jpg
  • Options
    BlueDestinyBlueDestiny Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Wait. Why didn't you guys just dig out a giant harbor, build in that, and then flood it? Seems like it would be a bit simpler.

BlueDestiny on
  • Options
    VicVic Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Wait. Why didn't you guys just dig out a giant harbor, build in that, and then flood it? Seems like it would be a bit simpler.

This is actually a brilliant idea.

Vic on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Vic wrote: »

This is actually a brilliant idea.

Something similar was discussed before. But where's the fun in that?

Besides, our map has a large body of water waiting for us.

hmxmoss on
    burning.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    The new glassworker recruit did some leatherworking earlier on, so when he became possessed, he took over the leatherworking shop. He created Kosoththak Shukarallas, "Palacelock the Tall Seas", a cow leather vest worth $108,000.

dwarfort006.png

hmxmoss on
    burning.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Oh, and Andrew Ryan was NOT re-elected for mayor! He (umm, she...) remains the hoardmaster, manager and outpost broker, but everyone decided there would be less stress (and less of the "sweat of your brow" speech) if Ryan wasn't mayor anymore. They picked a hauler to replace him.

Ryan is none too pleased, especially since he was forced to give up his opulent quarters, office and dining room.

hmxmoss on
    burning.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    I added two floors to the noble house of vulnerability, all roofed up (and even added a hatch for the stairs to the roof, in case anyone wants to revisit to take a dive).

I did decide to do something with the tower adjacent from the house. It's as tall as the house now, and the second floor has a sparring area for troops and guards, and the floor above that is going to be the Hammerer's quarters / office. He also has roof access, and I'm considering putting something up there for kicks or show. Archery targets come to mind, but that's just not flashy enough. Anyhow, when he arrives, he'll be happy to know that he only has to descend a few flights of stairs to bash people's hands.

Next step is furnishing the noble rooms, and finishing the mausoleum. I built some metal furniture for the King.

The clothesmaker is currently locked inside his shop, as he doesn't feel like playing nice. I did the same thing to a crazed metalsmith who I couldn't supply shit for. She was missed by a lot of people.

They got over it.

Henroid on
  • Options
    HamHamJHamHamJ Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Will be opening my magma channel soon. Either great riches or utter destruction will ensue. We shall pray to the gods.

UPDATE:

Magma is really slow.

EDIT:

And now some kid is throwing a birthday party.

HamHamJ on
    While racing light mechs, your Urbanmech comes in second place, but only because it ran out of ammo.
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    I built a statue garden with a fountain and it didn't quite turn out right. The pressure is way too high so the water was blowing past the drains. Now I've got to figure out how the heck to fix it.

FunkyWaltDogg on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    I built a statue garden with a fountain and it didn't quite turn out right. The pressure is way too high so the water was blowing past the drains. Now I've got to figure out how the heck to fix it.

Well, now I've got fish swimming in my statue garden.

FunkyWaltDogg on
  • Options
    WoggleWoggle OheoRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009

Well, now I've got fish swimming in my statue garden.

This requires more explanation, with diagrams and screenshots.

And you guys know if you remove the room designation from the furniture that's hosting it, the party stops.

Woggle on
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    How can I get more immigrants? I'm in winter now with no new dwarves, and while they aren't really needed they would sure be helpful.

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    SulSeekerSulSeeker Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Never ask for more migrants.... Winter you have 7, that next spring you'll have 46.

Oh, and F*** carp.

SulSeeker on