As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Go on] 圍棋, a strategic board game for two players

VicVic Registered User regular
edited March 2009 in Critical Failures
围棋,又拔写做围碁,是一种棋,由两人对奕。中国古时讲个棋就是指围棋,古老辰光多数拔伊叫做奕。棋盘是由19条橫线搭19条直线相交而成。而棋有两只色,黑色搭白色。下围棋是斗围得地盘大,箇咾叫围棋。
勒先头两人各挑一只色,玩个辰光要轮番落子,目的是围得多围得大,而又尽量比对手少失子。

651px-Kano_Eitoku_010.jpg

Go is an interesting strategy game of incredible depth, with high level players all around the world. I have long had a fascination for this game, though I have never managed to reach any real skill. It can be played online at KGS Go Server and you can learn the rules at Playgo.

Quoted from Wikipedia:

Go is a strategic board game for two players. It is known as wéiqí in Chinese (Traditional: 圍棋; Simplified: 围棋), igo (囲碁 ?) or go (碁 ?) in Japanese, and baduk in Korean (hangul: 바둑). Go is noted for being rich in strategic complexity despite its simple rules.

Go originated in China, where it has been played for more than 2,500 years. It is most popular in East Asia, but has gained some popularity in other parts of the world in recent years. Go reached the West through Japan, which is why it is commonly known there by its Japanese name. Additionally, many Go concepts for which there is no ready English equivalent have become known by their Japanese names.
Go is played by two players who alternately place black and white stones (playing pieces, usually made of glass or plastic) on the vacant intersections of a grid of 19×19 lines. The object of the game is to control a larger portion of the board than the opponent. A stone or a group of stones is captured and removed if it has no empty adjacent intersections, the result of being completely surrounded by stones of the opposing color.

Placing stones close together helps them support each other and avoid capture. On the other hand, placing stones far apart creates influence across more of the board. Part of the strategic difficulty of the game stems from finding a balance between such conflicting interests. Players strive to serve both defensive and offensive purposes and choose between tactical urgency and strategic plans.

Are there any go players here on the forums?

Vic on

• Options
    Silas BrownSilas Brown That's hobo style. Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Man, as a teenager I loved Go. I had aspirations to practice hard and get really good, like competitive good. That kinda died out after I started dating or some new video game came out or something like that, but still, Go is a fantastic fucking game.

I wouldn't mind getting my Go on again, actually. A group of PA forumers who practiced with eachother would be really compelling.

Silas Brown on
  • Options
    ChenChen Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I used to play Go a long time ago. I don't even know how to play it anymore. :(

Chen on
    V0Gug2h.png
  • Options
    MithMith Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I've always been intrigued by Go but never really found anyone to play with.

Mith on
  • Options
    DarianDarian Yellow Wizard The PitRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I have played a little bit in the past and still read/play against the computer occasionally. If we get some sort of an internet go club going, I'm definitely game to play some.

Darian on
  • Options
    jabrams007jabrams007 Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I've always wanted to get into Go. I've played once or twice years and years ago, but I barely remember the rules now.

jabrams007 on
  • Options
    TehSlothTehSloth Hit Or Miss I Guess They Never Miss, HuhRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Oh snap, I seriously just ordered a board the other day to pick up the game.

TehSloth on
    FC: 1993-7778-8872 PSN: TehSloth Xbox: SlothTeh
    twitch.tv/tehsloth
  • Options
    DarianDarian Yellow Wizard The PitRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    jabrams007 wrote: »
    I've always wanted to get into Go. I've played once or twice years and years ago, but I barely remember the rules now.

Take turns placing stones on empty intersections. If a stone (or group of stones) is not connected to at least one open intersection, remove it from the board.

At the end of the game (when both players pass and decide they cannot make any more constructive moves), count up the territory surrounded by each player.

That's pretty much it... there are other quirks (komi, ko) but the rest is just experience and strategy.

edit: I'd say the free software Igowin (Windows only) is the best learning tool I know of for getting the basics down. Play all the games you want on a 9x9 board against a variable strength computer opponent.

Darian on