Promo

jemaineweb2.jpg
Jemaine

2-2.jpg
Concept art.

lola4.jpg
Lola & the Bear 2.

Thanks for looking, crits welcome.

God put me on this earth to accomplish a certain number of things. Right now I am so far behind that I will never die.” Bill Watterson
t i m on

• Options
    beavotronbeavotron Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    it's business time!
    hahah nice work dude!

beavotron on
  • Options
    spellchromespellchrome Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Hey, nice work. I like "Riverwalk speedy" and "Yosemite speedy" the best (I dig the look of the water).

Also, your faces capture expressions very well.

spellchrome on
  • Options
    rtsrts Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Some lovely color-picking paint-overs there.

rts on
  • Options
    t i mt i m Registered User regular
    edited May 2012

t i m on
    God put me on this earth to accomplish a certain number of things. Right now I am so far behind that I will never die.” Bill Watterson
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Fair enough you win. I still feel there is something odd about them. I just have a policy to call out paint-overs when I see them and this is the first time I have ever been wrong.

rts on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    No worries, I took a look at your art thread, and I can understand why you might call me out. You have invested an enormous amount of time into life drawing, long pose studies, and traditional studies (great stuff btw). I've seen my fair share of paint overs and get equally annoyed when the "artist" tries to pawn it off as talent.

That being said, I suppose the lack of rendering lended itself to the "paint over" feel. However that just tends to be my style. I typically paint fast, working on very few layers, in kind of that neo-impressionistic way. Maybe I should go back to the 'toons. Ha!

t i m on
  • Options
    KrisKris Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    That facial expression in the first piece is fantastic! :^:

Kris on
  • Options
    ShiboeShiboe Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    cakemikz wrote: »
    Fair enough you win. I still feel there is something odd about them. I just have a policy to call out paint-overs when I see them and this is the first time I have ever been wrong.

Hey man, don't take this wrong, cause I really love your work, but that's an awfully bold (best case) or arrogant (worst) comment to make. Might wanna dial it down a bit, I don't think he said anything one way or the other as to what these where supposed to be anyways.

And TIM, I like and dislike this style you have going. In some places it feels really strong, the river walk speedy for example is pretty damn exceptional. I love the flow. The Yosemeti is also pretty nifty, I like the color choices. I think it gets a little weaker on your life peoples, the self portrait is pretty strong but seems to get a bit too detailed and dabbed, which I think is what is causing cake's reaction, where it looks like you're just going through methodically and dabbing the colors from one thing to the next, where as the 2 environments there was a lot more expression involved. Then the jk5, the face looks pretty good, but the rest is too messy. I understand the lack of development along the non-interest areas but, I think it needs to be more simplified than rushed, which is what it looks currently. The rest I didn't find terribly interesting, and I just don't like the style on the girl promo. I do think the bear was rendered pretty nicely in the last one but not so much the girl; her face kinda disturbs me.

I would say work on keeping the expression in your style, devil's lake is an example to me of where the lines just become too apparent and the effect is lost. You seem to have a good handle on color, and I'm jealous for that. ;D

Shiboe on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    It was more your 'process' that did it. It has no rhyme or reason to it, which makes it feel like you are painting on top of something we can't see.

rts on
  • Options
    NotASenatorNotASenator Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Your contriteness is overwhelming, cakemikez.

NotASenator on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Shiboe wrote: »
    cakemikz wrote: »

Hey man, don't take this wrong, cause I really love your work, but that's an awfully bold (best case) or arrogant (worst) comment to make. Might wanna dial it down a bit, I don't think he said anything one way or the other as to what these where supposed to be anyways.

Bold? I have only called out 3 or 4 people since I started doing it and I was right every time until now...how is it bold? It's just what happened. At least I have the balls to do it.

Digital work which tries to emulate representational painting will always be called into question...though it is uncommon because it serves no purpose really (but that is a discussion for another time).

Anyways Tim, I don't like your portraits much at all..they still feel really forced to me. But the concepts and more cartoony stuff I like.

rts on
  • Options
    RubberACRubberAC Sidney BC!Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    To be fair I thought they were paintovers at first too.
    I'm not really digging the style either
    It looks less like "this is how i paint" and more like "I haven't finished this yet"

RubberAC on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Let me ammend what I just said. I really like the shirt on the first portrait you posted. I think your 'look' is working there really well. But you have broken up the face so much (and this is why I thought..and still kind of think you were color picking) into little color tiles that don't really make sense except that they are in the general vicinity of where a color like that might be. Its because of the flow of the strokes, and thinking about the form underneath. In fact..let me demonstrate.

rts on
  • Options
    crawdaddiocrawdaddio Tacoma, WARegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2009
    I dunno, I'm kind of digging parts of it, although I think that you might have more success bringing it over to bona fide oils; the texture of an impasto I think would help tie the paint strokes together. Also, don't forget that when you're leaving big strokes like that, it'd help if they did something to contribute to the representation of form, maybe by following the cross-contour of the forms a bit more (EDIT: Basically, what cake just said earlier)

Some of those painterly pieces remind me a bit of Lucian Freud...is that deliberate?

crawdaddio on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Here is what I am talking about. Look at the yellow arrows over the shirt, and how they roll with the form. It is of course much easier to see the forms and move with them on the shirt because tension points at the shoulders cause the fabric to create folds that move with the form. On the face it is much less clear, and this is where your image breaks down. I have started to clean up the right side of the face a bit and put some red arrows to show some of the form there. Anyways, here it is.
    timexample.jpg

rts on
  • Options
    KendeathwalkerKendeathwalker Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    psst

Dont paint from flash photography. It flattens the form.

Even worse, Dont try to match photographic colors. Especially a point and shoot camera..

Kendeathwalker on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    The pics were done solely as an exercise in observation, gesture, and implication. I understand where you are coming from cake in terms of there are numerous mistakes in each piece. However, it was not my intention to aim for perfection. It was my intention to imply a complex piece with many very messy brush strokes. Color picking, no...however I did use a color set from the original image, so the training wheels were on in regards to hue, but I was the one who controlled the value. All the pieces were done on just two layers, and a hard rectangular brush at 100% opacity.I tossed in the occasional texture as well. Shiboe was correct to assess that the amount and size of the strokes on the faces were used as both a way to convey detail, and compostional tool. Having the surrounding areas less finished would leave the faces a natural focal point. Furthermore I thought the loosness of the surrounding area might add some depth to the pieces, in the same fashion a camera has a focal range leaving bg elements out of focus. Could I have spent hours and days rendering the hell out of them to achieve perfection? In theory yes, but I doubt I have that kind of skill to have gotten the "realistic" results I was looking for.

I suppose all of this is mute though. Because ultimately they come off as digital mock ups of better originals, or unfinished pieces with more potential. Neither of which I was aiming for.....sigh.

t i m on
  • Options
    winter_combat_knightwinter_combat_knight Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I don't mind the top portraits. As excercises they're probably good for understanding values and colour (especially if you're digitally mixing them yourself), but i've always thought doing greyscale studies are much better to learn from.
    Do you do traditional work? Your paintings kinda have an oil paint look to them

Just also, i think your pics of the line of chicks are the best, and the cicuis bear is also petty cool.

winter_combat_knight on
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    thx

t i m on
  • Options
    KendeathwalkerKendeathwalker Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    ..Basically just try to light the model by some other way than your flash. The flash on your camera does absoluetly nothing to help describe the form and makes your job harder.

Id also recommend painting from black and white photography. Because seriously, photographic color is distinctly different than natural, and this is only magnified when your using a lower quality camera.

I think I just repeated myself with different words.. do you want me to try and explain with pictures?

Thats a pretty signifigant improvment from what you posted in the OP.. All that texture on the skin was just out of place before.

Kendeathwalker on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Ken - I apologize, I completely misread your earlier post. I appreciate you elaborating, and it makes complete sense!

t i m on
  • Options
    the_Willardthe_Willard Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    love the flight of the conchords one! (not that they aren't ALL pretty awesome) and i have to say when i first saw a thread titled "Tim's dump" i initially went "...eeww." because that's just how juvenile my mind is most of the time, hahaha.

the_Willard on
    The Neverhood is what TRULY started my gaming addiction, therefore respect is due.
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    willard - thanks buddy, yea maybe not the smartest of thread titles. :lol:

Couple more:

dwightfinal.jpg

beachcropfin-1.jpg

t i m on
  • Options
    beavotronbeavotron Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    dwight!
    yesssss

beavotron on
  • Options
    ShiboeShiboe Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Really like the first and third man, but it really makes me want to see you do the same in a traditional medium. I think they would really come across with a lot more power.

Shiboe on
  • Options
    crawdaddiocrawdaddio Tacoma, WARegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2009
    Indeed; I feel like you should give oils (or acrylics, if you haven't tried them) another shot.

crawdaddio on
  • Options
    edited May 2012

t i m on
  • Options
    RubberACRubberAC Sidney BC!Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Those tattoos look more like she is rotting

RubberAC on
  • Options
    edited September 2014

t i m on
  • Options
    MustangMustang Arbiter of Unpopular Opinions Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I know people have brought this up before but your stuff screams "paint-over", I don't know if you need to adjust your style or something or just stop using refs all together but you need to do something about it. If you can ref stuff this well then I'd like to think you can do lots of good without them.

Also Business Time is fucking epic!

Mustang on
  • Options
    GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Yeah man, this paint-over business is driving me crazy. We know you don't do it, but your technique is so poorly executed everyone and their mother is going to say "paint picking" from first glance. If you had more experience with oils this probably wouldn't be an issue, but as of now it just bugs the crap out of me.

Godfather on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Give oils/acrylics a go. It looks like youve got a good understanding of colour. Once you get used to mixing colours and the process of building up the layers, i think you will be able to produce some cool traditional paintings. I think you're kinda wasting your skills on this kind of digital work, just for the fact that people will automatically assume that you're tracing/colour picking (as i did). Go on, give traditional another go! 8-)
    This is sweet!
    lol8.jpg

winter_combat_knight on
  • Options
    mullymully Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Godfather wrote: »
    Yeah man, this paint-over business is driving me crazy. We know you don't do it, but your technique is so poorly executed everyone and their mother is going to say "paint picking" from first glance. If you had more experience with oils this probably wouldn't be an issue, but as of now it just bugs the crap out of me.

yeah, agreed -- and with the addition of your videos here, it bothers me even more because we can't see your WHOLE desktop or what you're really doing around those drawings. i know you zoomed in so it'd be easier to see, but since we can't see if you're colour picking, we can't know otherwise. and we can't see your reference or if you even have one.

mully on
  • Options
    GreatnationGreatnation Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Gentlemen please. People are ranting about Tim's style? What exactly are you all trying to say? Does nobody remember Tim? Hes been drawing better than most people on this board for years, and hes covered more ground stylistically too.

I remember a thread of his with some gorgeous applications of his style just a couple months ago.

here it is

http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?t=77903

And here he is again in 2006...

http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?t=7821

Let the man have some fun and tool around. He can obviously draw, and hes eye for color is great. Not everyone makes an image in fear of what the internet will think. I understand the suggestions and cakes crit about form, but I think what would be more helpful than to change tims direction entirely would be to help him fix the kinks with where he's at. Many people paint like how hes working and do it very well.

Check out Mike Hernandez. http://mikehernandez.blogspot.com/

Julian Merrow-Smith http://stillives.com/

Junko Rothwell (look at the pastel travel sketches) http://junkoonorothwell.com/

I think the trick to working like this is going way way way slower than you feel you should. These finished works vibrate and appear to have been done very quick, but try slowing down. Like obnoxiously slow. Force yourself to think more about the color shapes than anything else, if you can find a way to look at the image long enough for it to dissolve into color shapes in your head, then placing them will feel more natural. The way these work is not to try and paint messy, but to try and see messy.

Greatnation on
  • Options
    MustangMustang Arbiter of Unpopular Opinions Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Oh shit don't get me wrong, Tim can art like hell and the fact that we are calling him out on paint-overs when he's clearly not doing paint overs is pretty well much a weird sort of compliment.

I just think he needs to stop using such copying so closely the refs he's working from, especially flash photography.

Mustang on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    The guy can draw, but i still think his skills in colour and form would work great with traditional methods. :)
    Greatnation: Some great links. Thanks for sharing.

winter_combat_knight on
  • Options
    edited September 2014

t i m on
  • Options
    NotASenatorNotASenator Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    For some reason I really like your messy paintings. Some of them work really well, I don't know why.

This amuses me for some reason.

NotASenator on
  • Options
    valerycevaleryce Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Haha, when I saw your pics in the OP I thought they were paint overs too- I think that it'd help your pecies if you didn't copy so liberally from your photoref. The flash on your camera really wiped out the value in those pictures, so your paintings lack an interesting value range. The color could use some work too.

I gotta say though I am digging that painterly style. Maybe you could try doing a digital self portrait from observation using a mirror? That way you could get that same awesome painterly style without having washed out color/values. It'd be a win-win situation!

Keep posting your stuff man, I'm digging it. :)

valeryce on
    Art Blog!
    I like drawing, cartoons, cookies, and shiny pointy objects.
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    t i m wrote: »

[URL="h ttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=juuZmZMAvhE"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=juuZmZMAvhE[/URL]

Fin:

[IMG]http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a296/gr4phic4rt/iajane6.jpg[ /IMG][/img]

Ahh. i love the greyscale method. Allows you to sort out the contrasts and form much better, before being distracted by colour. Although really, just a speed picture, i think a little more work on her boot laces would be worth working on. Maybe a little more subtle, and less contrasting. Shouldnt be too hard to refine;). Nice work dude. Thanks for posting the video.

winter_combat_knight on