As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Tim's Dump. nsfw

• Options
    t i mt i m Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Greatnation - Yea I couldn't believe it was that dark too, but after checking out a few refs depending on the lighting scheme (no flash photography :lol:) they were pretty dark. Of course it could be your monitor vs my monitor, I was appalled at the color and gamma differences between my laptop and desktop monitors.

Ken - Thanks man, I really poured in a ton of effort into this one. ESPECIALLY in the early stages, hence the steps being flipped so many times to check for errors in anatomy. No amount of paint is gonna make shit look like anything other than shit.

Loomdum - thanks for the heads up on the shoulders, the fresh eyes are appreciated.

Nibcrom - Nothing special 90% of the piece was done with the soft round 70 - 100% opacity and about 25% flow. Pressure setting on. I occasionally flip the dual brush tab to rough up the skin. A tad bit of Painter's oil blender too. The bg was done with a custom brush to add some texture.

t i m on
    God put me on this earth to accomplish a certain number of things. Right now I am so far behind that I will never die.” Bill Watterson
  • Options
    LoomdunLoomdun Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    wooo

Loomdun on
    splat
  • Options
    MustangMustang Arbiter of Unpopular Opinions Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Are they meant to be freckles? Because they read like pimples and pock marks.

Mustang on
  • Options
    Matt_SFCMatt_SFC Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    These are wonderful.

Though, Dwight's forehead should be a little taller I think. At least that's the impression I have in my mind from watching the show.

Yeah I thought this as well. The actor that plays Dwight as a very different shaped head/face. Between that and the glasses his eyes really pop with a crazy wickedness.

I really love the one of the girl driving with the sleeve tat. I think it shows that your "fast/vibrating/paint over simulating" teqnique can really be pulled off well. I didn't dislike any of the stuff on the first page, I think if one were looking at a bunch of different art, on display one would come over and look at those first few portraits. There's something wrong enough with them that your brain is trying to piece together how it should look properly. They're close enough to the real thing that demands the brain to try and figure out what's going on with them. People might see that as a bad thing, but I kind of dig it. The chick w/sleeve is a more subtle way of doing this, it's a little smoother and more peaceful so it doesn't feel like you're looking at something as aggressive. But it does have that element of your brain trying to puzzle solve the imperfections. I'd hang it in my house. ;)

Edit: Tim's Dump made me smile

Matt_SFC on
    Max sig size: 500x80px or 4 lines of text
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Matt - Thanks so much! I really appreciate the kind words :)

Mustang - Um yea, I fixed those "pot marks" they were pretty bad:

fincol4.jpg

Here' s another one, value study.

FIN-3.jpg

gilprocess.jpg

t i m on
    God put me on this earth to accomplish a certain number of things. Right now I am so far behind that I will never die.” Bill Watterson
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    every time I look here you make me want to try drawing something realistic on photoshop or make a pretty landscape when you make something, but I know that's not what would benefit me right now. waiejtaoiwhtawihtawthawt

Loomdun on
    splat
  • Options
    winter_combat_knightwinter_combat_knight Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Your artwork makes me feel drawing :^:

winter_combat_knight on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Loomdom & Winter - Thanks guys, that's probably the best comment a guy can get! :mrgreen:

My friend Alex and I have been bumming around in Dreamweaver building a website, lemme know what you guys think:

P.S. Sorry about the crappy angelfire ads, gonna be getting some proper hosting soon!

http://teh1monk.angelfire.com/

t i m on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    t i m wrote: »
    Loomdom & Winter - Thanks guys, that's probably the best comment a guy can get!

nah, I could be the gender that attracts you and hitting on you and saying you look hot. Which would probably be better. I'M SURE THERE ARE PLENTY OF BETTER THINGS THAT CAN BE SAID.

Loomdun on
    splat
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Loomdun - Haha, too true!

Here's an enviro I did last night:

finweb2.jpg

t i m on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Bunny Pic's Finished:

bunnyprev900px.jpg

t i m on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    I find your art really perplexing tim, there are some areas you are really advance in and in others you are really let down. Your forest here is really nicely done, but your bunnies look like they've been lit by an asshole camper with a high powered flash camera. The result is that your bunnies have no depth or weight, they're a step away from looking like cardboard cutouts and appear very much seperated from the setting.

Here's one of my famously awful mouse paintovers to accentuate my point.
    You can see by pushing the values on a pappa bunny, he sits more into the environment and it gives him more depth and weight.
    This of course, is only half-assed, the whites are still far too extreme.
    time.png

Mustang on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    My bro and his lady just bought a new house, so I made them a house warming gift, they're big fans of the Simpsons:

Also my soon to be teacher sister wanted one for the classroom.

colinjensimpson.jpg

emily.jpg

t i m on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Hey guys, been awhile. Been spending a lot of time doing life drawings, once I get my scanner going more on that. For now here's a recent digi portrait:

tt2.jpg

t i m on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Very nice Tim.

Mustang on
  • Options
    earthwormadamearthwormadam ancient crust Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    that ones good

earthwormadam on
  • Options
    rtsrts Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I mean this in the best way possible, but you have a way of making women look like they have recently been beaten and are trying to cover up the evidence with make-up.

I did a quick paintover to show how I would change the last image you posted:

timpaintover.jpg

Smoothed out her jowls/cheeks and I refocused your light source which was becoming ambiguous. I also connected a lot of the shapes that were kind of sticking out on their own to make it feel more whole.

rts on
  • Options
    TamTam Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I think it's because he's not using large enough brushes

Tam on
  • Options
    earthwormadamearthwormadam ancient crust Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    You and Tam should figure out a way to make a baby, just so I can call him TimTam. That's a good TimTam.

earthwormadam on
  • Options
    TamTam Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Adam don't make be beat you

Tam on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Mustang - Thanks man, yea I'm pretty proud of that piece.

earthwormadam - Much appreciated!

cakemikz - I really appreciate you taking the time to do a paintover. I understand what you're saying in regards to the muddled features. I have a difficult time blending all the values together. I mean, I can blend them further, but then I start losing the subtle features that I was implying with the variations of color or angle of the stroke. I get it as close as I can, but you and others have a very good crit, and something I am trying to find a solution for.

Tam - That's part of the problem, someone on my CA.org sketchbook thread mentioned the same thing. I learned at the life drawing class, REALLY trying to view the body as a 3-Dimensional figure. It's like building a low poly model: Then dump it all with a medium gray and build up the light or in some cases add strokes of dark until you have achieved that depth:

process-4.jpg

earthwormadam - Well all it takes on my end is about 6 beers and a pair of high heels..I kid, I kid.

Tam - HAHA!

Here's on more, only spent about 1/3 of the time on this one as the other, bigger brushes too:

finblonde3.jpg

Hugs and Kisses for all!

t i m on
  • Options
    F87F87 So Say We All Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    That last one has a very nice brush economy and gee, I mean, it's just swell.

F87 on
  • Options
    Kewop DecamKewop Decam Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    great stuff

Kewop Decam on
    pasigfa7.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    F87 - I appreciate the kind words, I did try keep the brush strokes shorter around the point of focus. Economy can be a very, very useful tool. Also I took a peek at your site, awesome work man, truely.

Kewop - Thanks man!

Here's another one, It's early as hell and my brain is kinda mush. I t could probably use a few more passes over to tighten up those values.
    lvsafin1.jpg

t i m on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    One more..

fried11.jpg

t i m on
  • Options
    KendeathwalkerKendeathwalker Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Need to do a little more editing. Painting pretty girls espeicailly the information that you leave out is important. Look at the way Gibson and Loomis drew pretty women. Those are just two names off the top of my head.
    2006-5-280-39-39.gif
    42164.jpg

Very carefully edited and very simple. Alot of your half tones you are seeing you should try grouping into a bigger shape.

If you look at what cake did for you in that paint over thats basically what he was getting at.

Kendeathwalker on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Ken - Yea, those gradations in value have been causing me all sorts of trouble. I went back to the side lighting piece and tried smoothing things out a tad, and I added some color to Stripes and tried smoothing her out as well:

lvsafin2.jpg

friedcoltestfin.jpg

t i m on
  • Options
    BelruelBelruel NARUTO FUCKS Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    i really enjoyed looking through all your stuff here tim!

on that last one, something looks rather off about her cleavage, do you have a reference? thems some squashed bosoms from the rendering i can see, but then they project a fair amount so it reads oddly

Belruel on
    vmn6rftb232b.png
  • Options
    rtsrts Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Yeah the closest breast should probably appear to be passing in front of the far breast. Right now it ends as the other begins. Also I would say you probably want to tone down the highlights in the eyes. Less is more in that particular arena.

rts on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    well lets go ahead and dog pile the nitpicks.. her right eye our left.. is pretty flat-formless. Even if you dont see it in your reference.. push the corners of the lower lid and eyeball a little darker. Really make it feel like were looking at a ball sitting in flesh and the flesh is wrapping around it.

Fuck it.. heres a paint over..
    Very quick and a bit exaggerated illustration of my point.

friedcoltestfin.jpg

Kendeathwalker on
  • Options
    IkageIkage Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Oh wow your color studies are really interesting.

I love all the value work your doing now.
    Seriously important since really humans can identify things if everything is still in values. Old school tv is a good example. People back in the day could watch that and still tell what was going on.

Ikage on
    STRONGER THEN DIRT!! DIRT STRONG!
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Hey all been awhile!

Thanks for the crits and paint-overs guys, all valid points and I appreciate the extra sets of eyes. Definitely need some more practice with the portraits. Values side of things are going ok, but I flubbed it with the color.

Over at conceptart.org they're having a team "character of the week" contest. The topic is good vs. evil, basically take you character and make a good version and an evil version. So we went with an arctic fantasy theme. I chose an orca warrior.

Good version - I wanted him to be very tribal/nature-esque, incorporated some Inuit designs.

sketches:

orcadesign.jpg

A basic side view Ortho:

orcaorthofin2.jpg

Evil version - I figured what's more evil than a whaler whale..hah!

sketches:

evilorcasketches.jpg

Final Evil version..work in progress:

evilorcaprev2oriccol.jpg

t i m on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    sweet man.

Kendeathwalker on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Hell sweet, bout time you started doing some cool stuff like this tim.

Mustang on
  • Options
    ManonvonSuperockManonvonSuperock Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Fuck, I like that!

Street Sharks!

ManonvonSuperock on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Thanks guys!

I gotta say though, I was really inspired by the old TMNT figures. Man I had like every single one. Whoever was the character designer over at Playmates is a genius. They would take any animal and immediately make him into a badass. My favorite was the time traveling orange triceratops. So yea I was channeling my youth a bit, I miss those days..:P

A lil' more progress, had to add a bg, tweaked the colors a bit on the orca..still need to "ground" the guy a bit better:

evilorcaprev3.jpg

t i m on
  • Options
    winter_combat_knightwinter_combat_knight Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    looking really cool. did you use photo texture, or is it all painted? Looks fantastic.

winter_combat_knight on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Winter - I used a few of m@'s custom brushes for the bg.

You can find them here:

m@'s brushesl

t i m on
  • Options
    UberslugUberslug Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Uberslug - The bear on page 1? I suppose I can see that.

Lil' more progress, I figured every good villian needs a sidekick. I present you with "Clubby".

evilorcaprev6.jpg

t i m on