As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Max Payne on a 64-bit OS

AnteCantelopeAnteCantelope Registered User regular
edited March 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
I just tried installing Max Payne on Vista 64, and it told me that I have the wrong version, I need a 64 bit version of the program, or something like that. Now, I've installed older games on this computer, and I was under the impression that 64 bit was compatible with older games. Is there some way to get this to work?

EDIT: It says "The version of this file is not compatible with the version of Windows you're running. Check you computer's system information to see whether you need an x86 or x64 version of the program, and then contact the software publisher."

But in Local Disc, I have a Program Files folder, and a Program Files (x86) folder. Which leads me to think that I should be able to run either, right?

Thanks

AnteCantelope on

• exoplasmexoplasm Gainfully Employed Near Blizzard HQRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Yes, you should be able to run either. I've never heard of a 64-bit game executable, though. Especially a game of that age, doesn't make sense. You could try running it in compatibility mode or google the error message to see if there is a known fix.

exoplasm on
    1029386-1.png
    SC2 NA: exoplasm.519 | PA SC2 Mumble Server | My Website | My Stream
  • AnteCantelopeAnteCantelope Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    exoplasm wrote: »
    Yes, you should be able to run either. I've never heard of a 64-bit game executable, though. Especially a game of that age, doesn't make sense. You could try running it in compatibility mode or google the error message to see if there is a known fix.

Thanks, but how do I run compatibility mode?

AnteCantelope on
  • AnteCantelopeAnteCantelope Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    OK, nevermind, figured it out. And then it turned out the program I was trying to run in compatibility mode was the wrong one, but I figured it out eventually.

This thread can be locked now, thanks for your help.

AnteCantelope on