As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[WoW] Bow down before the God of [Chat]

• Options
    EndEnd Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Dyscord wrote: »
    Seg wrote: »
    tallgeeze wrote: »

I wish WoWace updater was still around. That thing was the best.

They shut it down because it was too expensive to operate. And the guy didn't want to start charging people for the service.

Doesn't "the guy" now work for Curse?

He does.

And Re: Curse charging for premium. I think premium just installs updates without user intervention, whereas normal you have to click a few buttons. There's other perks, too, of course, but that's the only bit that's related to the updater.

Also, Shirik has been rewriting the wowinterface updater, but I'm convinced it's vaporware at this point. He says it's really modular though, and that curse support could be written in by a third party.

End on
    I wish that someway, somehow, that I could save every one of us
    zaleiria-by-lexxy-sig.jpg
  • Options
    CokebotleCokebotle 穴掘りの 電車内Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Arkan wrote: »
    God, once you hit Champion the tournament becomes the best source of gold ever. 6 dailies (technically 8 but there's two pairs of them with the same objectives so you really only need to do 6 things), 5 of them in icecrown, half an hour... 150g. Plus saronite and titanium from flying around Icecrown.

Wait, seriously? Goddammit... that means I might actually give a shit and do the tournament... Fuck!

Cokebotle on
    工事中
  • Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Fizban140 wrote: »
    Sounds good, I was pretty good when I played but I do not quite have the time I use to. Doing BWL/Ony/MC runs 7 days a week started to become a job. My friend talked me back into this game and said it is no longer anything like that anymore and the game is actually more casual friendly so I hope he is right.

he's right, though if you don't raid you will EVENTUALLY hit a wall.
    though if you haven't played since level 60, you'll take months to get through all the new stuff...

hell, you'd be preoccupied just levelling one toon to 80 of each class to see whats changed.

Dhalphir on
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    How much gold do you get for those Champion's Purses you can choose as a reward?

Edit - Nevermind, found it on WoWhead. 10g per purse, and it's counted as looted so it goes toward the related achievement for how much gold you loot. Awesome.

Henroid on
  • Options
    TyberiusTyberius Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Henroid wrote: »
    It's counted as looted so it goes toward the related achievement for how much gold you loot. Awesome.

That is very awesome to hear since I've been exalted with all the cities since TBC.

Tyberius on
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I haven't been. Most of my alliance reps are at honored, with Ironforge on the cusp of revered and Stormwind having 7k to go to exalted. I'm a pre-2.0-rep-gain-buff character who never saw it worth it at the time, once being max level, to up rep via runecloth. And then the price went up for the next ten levels so fuck that, and then the price went up again.

Rep with the main factions isn't worth much at max level still, says I.

The funny thing is this character was revered with the Argent Dawn at level 55. Free Naxx attunement soon followed.

Henroid on
  • Options
    ArkanArkan Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    ~25g from 4 champion dailies + 12.50g from 4 valiant dailies from another faction = 150 gold a day.

Two of the valiant dailies have the same objectives as two of the champion dailies.

Arkan on
    Big, honkin' pile of WoW characters
    I think it's hard for someone not to rage at mario kart, while shouting "Fuck you Donkey Kong. Whose dick did you suck to get all those red shells?"
  • Options
    DarkstrykeDarkstryke Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Yay for the login screen telling me I'm connected. Then not doing anything.

Darkstryke on
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Has anyone ever seen a wow map that has locations of quest givers marked on it? Not how to do quests, just quest givers. I'm sure someone's been working on something like that since Loremaster.

I'm just annoyed that apparently it's beyond QuestHelper to tell you where to go get quests in the first place.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    Hey quick question, my gf has a character on my account, but I'd like to buy her her own and move it off so we can play together. How does one go about doing that?

Best of my knowledge:

Pretend you are married.

If the last names match, then you can transfer characters between accounts. If not you may be able to call them and talk about it, but really that is a pain in the ass.

Just make sure the last names match..

(I think)

Arch on
  • Options
    -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Has anyone ever seen a wow map that has locations of quest givers marked on it? Not how to do quests, just quest givers. I'm sure someone's been working on something like that since Loremaster.

I'm just annoyed that apparently it's beyond QuestHelper to tell you where to go get quests in the first place.

Wowhead has that for all it's maps. Unless you were wanting something in-game.

-SPI- on
  • Options
    BerenBeren Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Arch wrote: »
    Hey quick question, my gf has a character on my account, but I'd like to buy her her own and move it off so we can play together. How does one go about doing that?

Best of my knowledge:

Pretend you are married.

If the last names match, then you can transfer characters between accounts. If not you may be able to call them and talk about it, but really that is a pain in the ass.

(I think)

You can move characters between accounts if the name on the accounts are the same. I've never tried it with same last name, different first name. I would imagine Blizzard would be easy going about that, though.

Beren on
    PS4: DarconvillesCat
  • Options
    GrundlestiltskinGrundlestiltskin Behind you!Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Arkan wrote: »
    God, once you hit Champion the tournament becomes the best source of gold ever. 6 dailies (technically 8 but there's two pairs of them with the same objectives so you really only need to do 6 things), 5 of them in icecrown, half an hour... 150g. Plus saronite and titanium from flying around Icecrown.

Of course that's only sustainable for...20 days? Unless you can just not become a Champion of a race and do valiant dailies forever?

Grundlestiltskin on
    3DS FC: 2079-6424-8577 | PSN: KaeruX65 | Steam: Karulytic | FFXIV: Wonder Boy
  • Options
    MalyonsusMalyonsus Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Well, I mean, I guess you don't *have* to turn in the 25 valiant marks quest.

Malyonsus on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Malyonsus wrote: »

Well on the plus side, that means I can get 1k rep per day for whatever faction I'm doing until I finish and move onto the next one. Which is great, because I had no intention of ever taking the Champion's Writ.

Grundlestiltskin on
  • Options
    rehtonAesoohCrehtonAesoohC Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Beren wrote: »
    Arch wrote: »

Best of my knowledge:

Pretend you are married.

(I think)

You can move characters between accounts if the name on the accounts are the same. I've never tried it with same last name, different first name. I would imagine Blizzard would be easy going about that, though.

The only thing that has to be the same about the accounts are the last names. I transferred a toon between my and my brother's accounts with no hassle.

rehtonAesoohC on
    Was wowed by Rift so I'm trying that now.
  • Options
    JustinSane07JustinSane07 Really, stupid? Brockton__BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2009
    Malyonsus wrote: »

Well on the plus side, that means I can get 1k rep per day for whatever faction I'm doing until I finish and move onto the next one. Which is great, because I had no intention of ever taking the Champion's Writ.

On my first day as Champion of Stormwind, yesterday, I took the Writs to see what I could buy with them.

I'm at 999/1000 with all 5 factions.

What a waste of 40g I could have had.

I'm working on becoming a champion of Exodar now.

JustinSane07 on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Yeah I'm working on champ of Exodar as well, I want the pet.

Grundlestiltskin on
  • Options
    JustinSane07JustinSane07 Really, stupid? Brockton__BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2009
    Do you need Champ to access the Quartermaster? Because I noticed I can ride the Elekk for the jousting dailies.

JustinSane07 on
  • Options
    PoketpixiePoketpixie Siege Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I'm wondering if using the lil argent gruntling + banner in an instance means you get rep for that city.

Poketpixie on
  • Options
    xzzyxzzy Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I was pretty happy to see that I get ebon blade rep for doing the champion dailies. I haven't maxed out that reputation yet, which seems like a bad thing for a DK to be doing considering they're his homeboys and all that.

Especially nice because I despise the ebon blade dailies.

xzzy on
  • Options
    ShawnaseeShawnasee Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I enjoy the Ebon Hold dailies far more than the Hodir ones.

Shawnasee on
  • Options
    MetacortexMetacortex The Prettiest Zombie Coeur d'CoeursRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    The ones from The Shadow Vault are quick and easy.

The Onslaught Harbor ones, not so much.

Metacortex on
    4FNao2T.png
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    I like the Hodir ones. Fighting for spawns is kind of annoying, but at least there's enough people that stuff is basically instant-spawn.

I really like the spear one, no shit to gather, no running around to do.. just find a drake, latch on, then stab him to death.

xzzy on
  • Options
    rehtonAesoohCrehtonAesoohC Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    So the formula that Ghostcrawler posted about how armor penetration works in 3.1 is totally bullshit. I'm ticked that they are putting hard caps on things like armor pen. Why wouldn't they just put a "hard cap" on it through attainable gear? That way if someone went through all the trouble of getting all the gear they needed to reduce a mob's armor to 0, they could do it!

As it is now, it's stupid.

rehtonAesoohC on
    Was wowed by Rift so I'm trying that now.
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    As it is now, it's still a DPS gain if you have enough of it. They just didn't want you to be able to reach 100% armor ignore, apparently.

Grundlestiltskin on
  • Options
    AngryAngry The glory I had witnessed was just a sleight of handRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    because putting a mobs armor to zero would result in far too much damage.

Angry on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Angry wrote: »
    because putting a mobs armor to zero would result in far too much damage.

Not to mention the PvP implications of dropping somebody's armor to zero.

Grundlestiltskin on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Developers love caps. It means fights are a lot easier to tune, because they don't have to police whether or not the gear players collect trivializes their meticulously designed encounters.

Just slap a cap into place and they don't have to ever worry about the gear. Which, considering the disconnect between itemization and game balance, is probably a good thing.

xzzy on
  • Options
    EnderEnder Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Sure, except that to reach that level of armor pen, you'd have a crap AR and crit rate. :P

Ender on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    xzzy wrote: »
    I like the Hodir ones. Fighting for spawns is kind of annoying, but at least there's enough people that stuff is basically instant-spawn.

I really like the spear one, no shit to gather, no running around to do.. just find a drake, latch on, then stab him to death.

Hated it! :x

This may call into question my "twitchy" skills but I could not do that quest. I tried it once(ok, 6 times) and failed and I never did it again. I bought Relics. :winky:

Shawnasee on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Ender wrote: »
    Sure, except that to reach that level of armor pen, you'd have a crap AR and crit rate. :P

Not really. For warriors for example, crit is not a great throughput stat past a certain point, and at a certain (attainable with GT procs, possibly without if you really stretched) point ArP becomes a higher dps gain point for point than STR. I think they wanted people to have a make an informed decision, not just ArP ArP ArP.

Grundlestiltskin on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Shawnasee wrote: »

This may call into question my "twitchy" skills but I could not do that quest. I tried it once(ok, 6 times) and failed and I never did it again. I bought Relics. :winky:

1-3 until swipe, 2-4, repeat. 30% health, mash 1 until 20 stacks, press 3. Victory! ;)

I haven't failed it yet. I was kind of nervous the first time after hearing everyone whine about it, but it's been smooth sailing since.

xzzy on
  • Options
    PoketpixiePoketpixie Siege Registered User regular
    edited April 2009

1-3 until swipe, 2-4, repeat. 30% health, mash 1 until 20 stacks, press 3. Victory! ;)

I haven't failed it yet. I was kind of nervous the first time after hearing everyone whine about it, but it's been smooth sailing since.

I always stab him with 4 right as I hop on. Then I use 1 a few times to get my grip up and start alternating between 1,3 and waiting to dodge/stab(2,4) when he tries to claw. For the last phase I just spam 3 every time it's up. Sometimes I get lucky and he drops on the first or second stab.

Poketpixie on
  • Options
    edited April 2009

I applaud your uberness. :P

Does the 8500g Mammoth do anything special? I got the 900g one but what would I be paying 8500g for?

Shawnasee on
  • Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    That WoWMAtrix thing looks cool. Does that work ok? Seems like it'd be a huge timesaver.

SniperGuy on
  • Options
    NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    edited April 2009

It's actually not twitchy at all :P

Here's some tips:

1. I know Horde has access to it, I can only assume Alliance does as well, but you can buy a slow fall drink after you do a questline involving relics in your town (turned out not to matter for me, first character I did them with was a pally, second one I'm doing it with is a mage).

2. Put up some kind of damage shield (if you have one) as the drake is coming down to pick you up. Health doesn't matter since the damage done is a percentage of your maximum.

3. use 4 (heavy thrust) as often as it comes up, spam 1 (grip) every gcd until you max out, and continue using it to keep yourself above 50 (my personal goal). Spam 3 (thrust) after you hit 99 the first time on grip. Use 2 (dodge) whenever it tries to attack you and 2's not on cooldown from using 4.

4. When he hits 30% and goes into the second phase, spam 1 until you get 10 stacks, then hit 3. If you miss it, keep spamming 1 until 3 comes off cooldown.

I still do this quest on my pally (even though she's exalted) primarily because it's one of the few dailies that's more than 13g.

EDIT: I see I waited too long to post this, and missed all the advice given already :P

Nobody on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    That WoWMAtrix thing looks cool. Does that work ok? Seems like it'd be a huge timesaver.
    You mean the one that's getting banned by almost every mod site for leeching bandwidth?

It used to work okay.

xzzy on
  • Options
    TheCrumblyCrackerTheCrumblyCracker Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Got my first Maly kill yesterday, was totaly rad and exciting. I just wanted the Champion of the Frozen Waste's Achievment! So Maly dies, and I go WTF? No achiev?

-> Check achievment, I am missing HEROIC MAL'GANIS.

As I fly around in my bronze drake with Greed in my bags and the Shield of Lordareon in my bank. I submitted a ticket last night at 7 server, I logged in this morning and I was still waiting for my ticket to be answered.

TheCrumblyCracker on
  • Options
    EnderEnder Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Ender wrote: »

Not really. For warriors for example, crit is not a great throughput stat past a certain point, and at a certain (attainable with GT procs, possibly without if you really stretched) point ArP becomes a higher dps gain point for point than STR. I think they wanted people to have a make an informed decision, not just ArP ArP ArP.

Mostly joking, really. I'm not sure how the changes to ArP affect things right now, since I haven't been playing a lot lately.

I just work with the "too much of one thing is baaaaad" theory. To stack that much ArP, I would imagine your other stats would take a hit. Without the ArP cap, I'm not sure if it would be really feasible to try to reach 100% or anything crazy, but some other math-minded people might prove me wrong.

Ender on
This discussion has been closed.