As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Burning Eyelids

AsiinaAsiina ...WaterlooRegistered User regular
edited March 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
A few days ago my right eyelid became really irritated. Especially near the nose, but down into the outer corner of my eye. It comes and goes. Sometimes its fine and then there are moments when I want nothing more than to douse my face in water to make it stop. Then tonight both eyes were doing it.

Note that my eyes and the rest of my face are fine, but my eyelids are burning with irritation.

I can't see any sort of redness or scratching or anything, but it feels really tender, even when the irritation is a minimum. I've washed my face thoroughly with a moisturizing soap several times since this started (instead of just one when I take my daily shower), but it hasn't seemed to help.

Sometimes, during the evening when I'm watching TV or at the computer it just gets unbearably bad.

Any idea what could be causing it? Google has been very little help as it just suggests that its either an actual heat/chemical burn or diabetes. Both I think are pretty unlikely.

Asiina on

• Options
    Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I get a similar problem where I'll be watching TV or playing video games, and suddenly one or both of my eyes will become very irritated and start tearing up / watering like crazy.

Its a very sudden thing, with what seems like zero warning.

Not sure if it means I was staring for too long without blinking, or if its just some dust/eyelash got in my eye and is causing the sudden reaction.

Gnome-Interruptus on
    steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
  • Options
    ThylacineThylacine Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Maybe an allergy to something. Sorry that is...vague.

I know I have allergies that make my eyes itch when normal people's noses run. *shrugs* and while I don't think I'm allergic to cats(I've had them forever), if I mess with one and forget and touch my face around my eyes they will start getting itchy.

What has changed in your routine or environment. Might be something as simple as changing your detergent, or someone wearing a buttload of shitty perfume around you that irritates your eyes.

Best advice would be to stay vigilant and try to figure out if there's a common ground in these itching episodes and if it doesn't resolve itself soon consider talking to a doctor.

Thylacine on
  • Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    It's probably a sty. It's similar to having a pimple on the inside of your eyelid. They are painful, as the cornea is very sensitive and a sty is pretty much like a dust speck or splinter that won't go away. If you gently lift the eyelid apart from the eyeball (Don't tear it off! For god's sake!), it will bring relief to the affected eye. Warm compresses on the eye (small hand towels soaked in hot water and pressed against the eyelid) will help drain it, but they generally go away in about a day or two. Oh, and it can affect both eyes at the same time... I speak from personal experience. :-P

You probably won't be able to find it (lifting your eyelid and looking in a mirror), and I highly suggest that you DON'T try to do so... many of them are simply not visible except on an eye exam.

In the event that it is an allergy, a simple anti-histamine should relieve your symptoms.

Hahnsoo1 on
    8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    SzechuanosaurusSzechuanosaurus Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2009
    My money would be on an eye infection, followed by an allergy or irritant, followed by something like a sty.

The fact that it started in one eye then moved to both eyes is classic eye infection, spread by rubbing your eyes with your hands. However, when I had an eye infection, it got to the point where I could barely see after about 24 hours. I guess you could have a more mild eye infection though, otherwise probably an allergy or irritant (either actually something physical that getting into your eye as Thylacine suggests or just them drying out from staring at a computer screen too much). Sty would be my last call, they are usually a result of an ingrown eye-lash and are usually a pretty visible black-head style spot right on the edge of your eyelid. Certainly possible to get one in each eye at the same time, but wouldn't be my first guess.

Hell, it could just be tiredness. If it's concerning you and hasn't cleared up in 24 hours, I'd definitely go to the doctor, especially before it gets worse.

Szechuanosaurus on
  • Options
    MimMim I prefer my lovers… dead.Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I'm running on lack of sleep so I might be misunderstanding you, but it could be just oil on your eye lid. I have a condition where my eye lids produce more oil than they should and it runs into my eyes sometimes causing it to burn like mad.

That could be your problem, and you could get it fixed. Though the extra oil is supposedly supposed to keep your eyes looking younger, longer.

Mim on
  • Options
    AsiinaAsiina ... WaterlooRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Well like I said, my eyes don't hurt. They're not red or inflamed. It's just the eyelids, which is the weird part.

They're tender to the touch, and the whole area just feels dried out, I guess. Although I doubt it's just dry skin since I use moisturizing soap and have for quite a long time.

Although the fact that it was one lid and then a few days later spread to the other does make me think maybe it's an infection. I feel silly going to the doctor saying "my eyelids hurt" but I may just do that.

Asiina on
  • Options
    SzechuanosaurusSzechuanosaurus Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2009
    Don't take chances with your eyes, eh.

Szechuanosaurus on
  • Options
    Conroy BumpasConroy Bumpas Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    without seeing you etc...

the most likly thing would be

BLEPHARITIS

Belepharitis (blef-ur-RY-tus) is a common and persistent inflammation of the eyelids. Symptoms include irritation, itching and occasionally a red eye. This condition frequently occurs in people who have oily skin, excessive dandruff, or dry eyes. Blepharitis can begin in early childhood and continue throughout life as a chronic condition, or it can develop later in life.

Blepharitits can be a stubborn problem. Although there is no specific cure, it can be controlled through a careful, regular program of hygiene

best tratment is better lid hygeane. wasking with babyshampoo etc..

or it could be anothe skin irratation that just happens to be near / on your eye lisds like serisis or somthing.

best get it looked at to be on the safe side. and any doc will give you advise on how to control it

Conroy Bumpas on
    Please note I cannot be held responsible for any mental, physical, emotional, spiritual, karma, dharma, metaphysical, religious, philosophical, Logical , Ethical, Aesthetical, or financial damage caused by this post
  • Options
    SarcastroSarcastro Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Pinkeye?

Sarcastro on
  • Options
    propertyofmydogpropertyofmydog Registered User new member
    The cause is the brightness of the display. LED and fluorescent lights that light the screens on our computer monitors and televisions adds extra stress to the eyes. Take more breaks, move your eyes and blink more, and reduce the brightness of the screen to help find relief.

This discussion has been closed.