As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Has the Wii bubble burst?

• subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    slash000 wrote: »
    Going by metascores/gamerankings is silly and arbitrary. Other people don't dictate to me what I enjoy, and I pity you if you let other people - no, less than that, - other people's arbitrary "scores" dictate what you decide is enjoyable or not.

Turn down a game because of what something states and the reasoning resonates with you. Not because someone "gave it" a "93%" or a "55%" or whatever. Sad.

Yeah I have to agree with this. It's like the "PC is dying" mantra that's been a staple of gaming since oooh, the 1980's?

You don't get the platform for what's popular or what other people say is the most awesome game, you get it because it's got the exclusives that YOU want to play. And if it doesn't have the games you want to play then the platform isn't freaking well for you. I mean, people keep telling me I should own a 360 instead, but how the heck am I supposed to play Dawn of War on that?

There's little doubt that the emphasis of Nintendo's marketing has shifted away from the purely hardcore (I hate using that term but I think everyone knows roughly what I mean by it) market, where it was in previous generations, the a mainstream market that they themselves opened up. There's still hardcore content on the Wii, but realistically a large part of that market has a heavy emphasis on high production values, which the Wii was never really designed around. The more hardcore games and shooters are largely elsewhere now, Nintendo's largely playing a different game.

What I do think is that next generation for Nintendo might see a return to being able to cater to the hardcore market as well as it does the mainstream currently. The success of the Wii pretty much took all the major devs by surprise, and for the most part they've been floundering in having to completely re-think how their games are made in order to cater to this system that doesn't have nearly the graphical capability of the other two and features a vastly different control interface.

Next generation though, if the Wiimote gets sorted out (presuming that motion plus signifies a step in that direction) and more precise, I can easily see a large variety of games catering to the hardcore market cropping up on the system. I honestly feel one of the major stumbling blocks on the Wii has been the implementation of the Wiimote. It's simple to use, definitely, but it's not nearly precise enough to give the kind of control necessary in things like shooters, or heck even lightgun games. With most games it gets reduced to simply being a tacked on gimick as a result, and you're usually better off with a gamepad.

I think once the Wiimote becomes a more precise interface, a lot is going to fall into place.

subedii on
  • elkataselkatas Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    AJR wrote: »
    Hey elkatas, am I right to assume that gaming book you were working on isn't coming out anymore?

Oh that. Yes and no. I'm still writing it, but current economic situation is pretty bad, and I guess I need to delay it to the better times. One idea I had would be release it in may of year 2012. That would be 40 years from first homeconsole, Magnavox Odyssey. Global market would be in much better shape too. On the mean time, I'm trying to organize charity project based on metal music.

elkatas on
    Hypnotically inclined.
  • Alfred J. KwakAlfred J. Kwak is it because you were insulted when I insulted your hair?Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I can't recall any threads specifically discussing the declining interest in the XBox360/PS3 of many gamers, but there have been quite a few (and hottly debatted) Wii threads about this topic here, and I think that's at least a sign that there's something not quite right. It's definitely not all happy bright sunshine for us Wii owners.

Personally, I'm quite disappointed that there aren't really any upcoming Wii titles that really interest me (and yes I've seen the list posted earlier in this thread), and the Nintendo's support for the system has been rather lackluster that past year. If it weren't for the back catalogue of my XBox360 and PSP, it woud have been a rather disappoint year for me, gaming-wise.

Alfred J. Kwak on
  • LawndartLawndart Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    pyromosh wrote: »
    First off, I don't think the Wii's bubble has burst, unless you have a very narrow definition. If you define the "bubble" to be love and adoration of game enthusiasts (read: non-casual gamers who are to games what cinemaphiles are to films). The folks who know and can appreciate all the different genres, who know who recognize names like Shigeru Miyamoto, David Crane, John Carmack, Wil Wright, Richard Garrison, and Chris Roberts.

No, scratch that. The Wii's bubble hasn't burst for these folks, it's burst for the frat-boy types who don't want to play a game unless it involves shooting. The kind of folks that made the 360 top 10 sales list someone else posted what it is. If you're talking about being attractive to those folks, yes, the bubble has burst.

You know the whole "The Wii is a toy for casual retards and the PS360 is for real manly gamers of manliness who want to play real games" cliche that's routinely lambasted in this forum?

This is the flip side to that stereotype.

"Nintendo fans savor great gaming works of art like fine wine, unlike those unwashed heathen frat boys with their crude 'shooting' games. Harrumph!"

Not that it isn't hilarious to hear people brag about how omnivorous and evolved their tastes in gaming are, then turn around and mock and belittle "shooting" games as somehow being the sole province of slack-jawed illiterates and frat boys.

But since this thread has devolved into Wii Cheerleading, I might as explain why I'm in no hurry to buy one.

I don't really like Nintendo as a 3D developer, and motion-sensing controls are more of an annoyance than a benefit. If there's eventually a hefty enough third-party lineup of Wii games that interest me, I'm sure I'll bite the bullet and pick one up, but that seems to be a long way off.

I'm also none too thrilled at the concept of Nintendo's "who needs to advance console technology, gamers don't want (insert competing console feature here)." attitude driving the next generation of consoles.

Lawndart on
  • Hockey JohnstonHockey Johnston Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    All this age-dropping in this thread (last page there was a 25 year old and a 29 year old), can I just say that I'm 32 and think that the marketing for the 360 is retarded and for teenagers.

That alone might explain a lot of why this gen has turned out the way it is. The Wii is not fueled by Dew.

Hockey Johnston on
  • GuekGuek Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Perhaps the issue is that some people assume there is some sort of homogenized ubiquitous interest of gamers. Either nintendo is "for" us or "not-for" us. The reality is that video game aficionados are as diverse as say the wide range of music enthusiasts. For some, the wii has spoken directly to them as exactly what they want. These people aren't "casuals", just like 360 owners aren't somehow automatically "hardcore."

If you've read some of my posts around the forums, you'll know that I generally like the wii in spite of its problems. But I'm not going to start assuming my gaming tastes are somehow universal. Not liking the wii is fine. Seriously! It's ok! Hate the thing! Whatever! But keep in mind that if you believe that the wii isn't "for" you, that doesn't necessarily mean it's not "for" gamers as a whole.

Guek on
  • hottoqhottoq Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Very disappointed with the Wii. Had a couple great games when I first got it, but I haven't bought anything for it since Rock Band 2 came out in December, and before that I hadn't bought anything since Mario Kart. That's a looooooooooong ass dry spell. Got so bad I went and got a PS3, and am very glad I did. I'm considering purchasing MadWorld, but even after that there's still NOTHING on the horizon I'm even remotely interested in. When the hell is Nintendo going to announce some new 1st party games?

hottoq on
  • agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    hottoq wrote: »
    Very disappointed with the Wii. Had a couple great games when I first got it, but I haven't bought anything for it since Rock Band 2 came out in December, and before that I hadn't bought anything since Mario Kart. That's a looooooooooong ass dry spell. Got so bad I went and got a PS3, and am very glad I did. I'm considering purchasing MadWorld, but even after that there's still NOTHING on the horizon I'm even remotely interested in. When the hell is Nintendo going to announce some new 1st party games?

Punchout!!?

agoaj on
    ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • AlgertmanAlgertman Registered User regular
    edited March 2009

It's just disappointing is all, to see Nintendo succeed, now, and have it be because their system no longer caters to our tastes first. But it's reality, and as long as there's *something* worth playing, I'll be happy.

Who is our?

Algertman on
  • DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Algertman wrote: »

It's just disappointing is all, to see Nintendo succeed, now, and have it be because their system no longer caters to our tastes first. But it's reality, and as long as there's *something* worth playing, I'll be happy.

Who is our?

Maybe he means hardcore titles? I'm not sure.

I have the solution to anyone's Nintendo Wii woes - Monster Hunter 3.

I haven't been personally enjoying my Wii. I only have four games for it. But mother fucking Monster Hunter 3, bitches! They better announce a NA release date soon. And when it does come out in the EU/NA regions, there better be a huge thread so we can get together online and slay giant dinosaurs.

In regards to online play, though, does the system allow voice chat at all? If Monster Hunter 3 doesn't support it, I suppose ventrilo will have to do.

Dashui on
    Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
    edited March 2009
    Lawndart wrote: »
    I'm also none too thrilled at the concept of Nintendo's "who needs to advance console technology, gamers don't want (insert competing console feature here)." attitude driving the next generation of consoles.

But unfortunately it is only realistic way to continue, at least for a while. Market simply doesn't grow fast enough to support HD-model. I guess that having one generation long break should be able to fix this problem. And if next generation adds enough oomph to keep current X360 / PS3 graphics fidelity with real 1080p and at least 2xAA, I would guess majority of people would be happy.

elkatas on
    Hypnotically inclined.
    edited March 2009
    Dashui wrote: »
    Algertman wrote: »

Who is our?

Maybe he means hardcore titles? I'm not sure.

I have the solution to anyone's Nintendo Wii woes - Monster Hunter 3.

I haven't been personally enjoying my Wii. I only have four games for it. But mother fucking Monster Hunter 3, bitches! They better announce a NA release date soon. And when it does come out in the EU/NA regions, there better be a huge thread so we can get together online and slay giant dinosaurs.

In regards to online play, though, does the system allow voice chat at all? If Monster Hunter 3 doesn't support it, I suppose ventrilo will have to do.

no word on whether MH3 will have voicechat yet, but voice chat is possible on the Wii as demonstrated by Animal Crossing. It'll also be included with The Conduit. If those guys can do it, capcom can do it. MH3 will also most definitely come to the states. I'm not say anything about eating cocks but...well, ya know.
    elkatas wrote: »

But unfortunately it is only realistic way to continue, at least for a while. Market simply doesn't grow fast enough to support HD-model. I guess that having one generation break should fix it. And if next generation adds enough oomph to keep current X360 / PS3 graphics fidelity with 1080p and at least 2xAA, I would guess majority of people would be happy.

Even though nintendo didn't go the way a lot of people would have liked, the wii has definitely provided a platform that doesn't involve the same amount of high risk you generally see on the other consoles. I'm convinced that there though there are probably wii games that would have been better on an HD console, it's unlikely that a lot of those games would have gotten greenlighted due to costs. Would we have gotten HotD? Boom Blox? Zack and Wiki?? Probably not. Heck, NMH probably wouldn't exist either, considering Marvelous recently stated that they are just now approaching the capability as a studio of producing HD games (yes, I know technically grasshopper developed, marvelous just published, but either way, NMH probably wouldn't exist without the wii).

Guek on
  • Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Are we still arguing about this?

You would think there would be more civil conversations and more open mindedness around here. What is wrong with liking the various consoles for different reasons. If you don't like the system, it is YOUR opinion, and shouldn't be stated like it is fact or that everyone else should follow your line of thought.

I mean grow up.

Brainiac 8 on
    3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited March 2009

But unfortunately it is only realistic way to continue, at least for a while. Market simply doesn't grow fast enough to support HD-model. I guess that having one generation long break should be able to fix this problem. And if next generation adds enough oomph to keep current X360 / PS3 graphics fidelity with real 1080p and at least 2xAA, I would guess majority of people would be happy.

I'm not even thinking of HD. For some reason Nintendo's been really averse to online functionality, even now it seems as if they almost think of any online features as an afterthought. I honestly think better integration with online features would help Nintendo even in the casual market.

subedii on
  • LeitnerLeitner Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    All this age-dropping in this thread (last page there was a 25 year old and a 29 year old), can I just say that I'm 32 and think that the marketing for the 360 is retarded and for teenagers.

That alone might explain a lot of why this gen has turned out the way it is. The Wii is not fueled by Dew.

etc are bad adverts?

Leitner on
  • SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2009
    GnomeTank wrote: »

So I would ask you: Do you think the Wii bubble has burst?

January NPD sales.

Wii - 679,200

And now they're getting even more non mini/kids game third party support.

The console still sells like mad at a "premium" price. Some third party software on the Wii outsells the 360/PS3 versions (Sonic, Tiger Woods, others). Has the Wii "bubble" burst?

NO.

Probably because there was no bubble. The console was never overvalued, it was priced correctly and sold like mad. It still sells like mad, Nintendo just doesn't have as many problems on the supply side of the chain.

Stupid article is stupid.

Sheep on
  • Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Sheep wins this round.

Brainiac 8 on
    3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • acidlacedpenguinacidlacedpenguin Institutionalized Safe in jail.Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I want there to beat least one game every three months that I can get into. As of right now they're too few and far between. Not saying I dislike the Wii or anything, because when games for it are good they're really good but when they're bad they're really bad.

but it's just like, I see maybe one or two games that look interesting every 12 months then I look at my PS3 and 360 and there's like 8 or 9 games that look interesting coming down the pipe, and then the Wii takes the back seat. Then it's all, out of sight, out of mind. It's all a vicious circle.

acidlacedpenguin on
    GT: Acidboogie PSNid: AcidLacedPenguiN
  • MblackwellMblackwell Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Leitner wrote: »

[snip]

etc are bad adverts?

Uh... yes?

They don't even seem to be attempting to advertise a PRODUCT and are overly long and mostly annoying.

My two cents on the Wii: If you can't seem to get enjoyment from it (IE: you've only purchased a small number of games and can't figure out other good ones on the system) then my assumption is you haven't incredibly narrow gaming tastes. There's at least a selection of 3-4 quality games from every genre available, and more on the way. There's also number of "hard core" titles (especially in the sense of violence level).

Also I seem to recall on page 1 someone saying they are a lazy gamer... frankly I play most Wii games with my hands in my lap or my remote arm on the arm of the couch or pillow. I've also played Wii games laying down. It definitely works. The games don't ACTUALLY require you to make ungodly large and exaggerated movements in most cases.
    20061113.jpg

Mblackwell on
    Music: The Rejected Applications | Nintendo Network ID: Mblackwell

• SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2009
    JaysonFour wrote: »
    Nintendo will have something cool for Christmas. They always seem to.

2008 says hi.

Oh that's right, I forgot, Animal Crossing is hopelessly uncool.

The last one was.

Wanted it, but there's no way I'm buying the same game for a third time.

Anyway, since this thread is all about whether the Wii sucks or not, I'll share my opinion.

The first next gen system I bought was a Wii. Played Wii Sports and Bowling so much that my arm fell off (true story). And then I didn't play much. Played some Zelda too.

So I hooked it up to WiiWare/VC and downloaded some really awesome older games and shmups. And then I didn't play it much.

Then I bought an Xbox 360 with Shadowrun, Oblivion, and Gears of War.

Then Metroid came out and it was fun but didn't grip me until the end. And then I didn't play it much because I was too busy playing Shadowrun, Oblivion, and Gears of War.

Then Mario Galaxy came out, and I played it tons, but then I bought Orange Box and Mass Effect and the like.

You can see a trend here. Eventually, none of the games that came out on the Wii, and the absolutely slow as molasses and completely stagnant WiiWare/VC pretty much killed my interest in the system. I'd only play it when a friend brought over Guilty Gear or something.

There's also the nasty ass taste of "completely uncared for rehash" that I got with Brawl and the latest Animal Crossing.

So I dumped the system.

I will probably buy another one eventually now that it's getting some really solid third party support and when Nintendo decides to briefly abandon the VC I can pick what's been released in the past few months or whatever.

Sheep on
  • LapineLapine Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I moved about 8 months ago and ended up putting my Wii into storage instead of getting it out of the moving box. Even with the massive amounts of shovelware drowning the Wii, there's actually more than a few games out that I'd be interested in, but with an HDTV, the graphics just killed it for me; not the actual graphical quality, but the lack of widescreen support, at least supporting 480p, and games not filling up the entire screen. Some of them do support widescreen and 480p, but it's a pain to find out what does. I still enjoy PS2 games since my PS3 upscales them nicely, and oldschool graphics like on the DS, since they are being displayed at a size where they look good, without jaggies. I can't stand watching 480i television anymore either...

Lapine on
    PSN: Lapine
  • acidlacedpenguinacidlacedpenguin Institutionalized Safe in jail.Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Mblackwell wrote: »
    My two cents on the Wii: If you can't seem to get enjoyment from it (IE: you've only purchased a small number of games and can't figure out other good ones on the system) then my assumption is you haven't incredibly narrow gaming tastes. There's at least a selection of 3-4 quality games from every genre available, and more on the way. There's also number of "hard core" titles (especially in the sense of violence level).

Also I seem to recall on page 1 someone saying they are a lazy gamer... frankly I play most Wii games with my hands in my lap or my remote arm on the arm of the couch or pillow. I've also played Wii games laying down. It definitely works. The games don't ACTUALLY require you to make ungodly large and exaggerated movements in most cases.
    20061113.jpg

I think most of us just don't care to sift through piles of garbage just to find the gold nuggets when instead we can be sifting through copper and silver nuggets to find our gold nuggets in the 360's case, or we can sift through a pile of nothingness just to cherry pick the gold nuggets and diamonds in the PS3's case.

acidlacedpenguin on
    GT: Acidboogie PSNid: AcidLacedPenguiN
  • carmofincarmofin Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    well, something you dont hear much or anything about i the motion+ attachement theyll release eventually. I do believe that will spark some newfound interest in the wii as a console, because it will provide more accuracy and allow the wii to move away form the tired old "waggle" image a bit.

carmofin on
    PSN | Steam
    ___
    NNID: carmofin
    3DS: 2852 6971 9745
    Throw me a PM if you add me
    edited March 2009

20061113.jpg

I think most of us just don't care to sift through piles of garbage just to find the gold nuggets when instead we can be sifting through copper and silver nuggets to find our gold nuggets in the 360's case, or we can sift through a pile of nothingness just to cherry pick the gold nuggets and diamonds in the PS3's case.

Sifting? The good games are constantly talked about. You can even go to the store and look at a shelf and at a glance usually figure out which games are good and which are poor.

I'm sorry, but it's not as if shovelware on the PS3 and 360 doesn't exist. Again look at the store shelves. You'll see them everywhere. People just tend to ignore them.

At this rate slash and guek with end up in here with "the list"...

The biggest issue with Wii games is that companies don't tend to support them with advertising so they may seem less apparent.

Edit: Also to Lapine... the Wii does support 16:9 widescreen, you can set it in the options. It should work just fine.

Mblackwell on

• LunkerLunker Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Brym wrote: »
    I have no idea what List Warz are supposed to be.

Me: Name a game worth playing in the last 9 months. 90+ metacritic would qualify.

You: I'm taking my ball and going home! You don't play fair!

List Warz is the ironic term for the bullshit "list X games that are good on a platform" forum-debate tactic. Once the horn has been sounded, someone responds by posting a list of what he thinks—in his opinion—are good games, and then the originator goes on to discredit every single game on the list because of his own opinion. It's a ridiculously trite message-board strategy because it assumes that quality is objective and opinion is indisputable fact, and all it leads to is finger-pointing, name-calling and "Nuh-uh!" Your immediate response of "light gun games, ROOOOOOFL" and qualifier of "only 90+ metacritic titles" only proves the point further.

Hot dogs are not objectively better than hamburgers. Even if the amount of time required to finish a hot dog is shorter than a hamburger, or generally you find yourself eating hamburgers more often than hot dogs.

I've been around these boards for years and I honestly don't remember this many self-loathing multi-console owners in any previous generation. This chest-beating tactic of whining and complaining about being forced into owning a Wii and frowning every single time you look at it or lower yourself enough to actually touch it is very, very tiring. Game consoles are just tools to play games; if you're not getting enjoyment out of owning one and accessing the games it plays, then fucking sell it and be done. I own a Wii, 360, DS and PSP, and honestly the Wii probably gets the least amount of playtime nowadays, but you don't see me tearing my hear and gnashing my teeth over it. Why? Because I'm too busy playing all of the other fucking awesome games on other consoles right now. The only reason I don't own a PS3 is because I'm so busy playing stuff that I'd never have time to get to it.

This is the entire goddamned point of owning multiple consoles—to increase the scope of games available at your disposal. Again, I probably use my other consoles more than the Wii recently, but I don't resent this hunk of plastic and silicon because it gets turned on less than my other hunks of plastic and silicon. Sometimes I get in the mood for a Wii game—like the excellent Bit.Trip Beat that just came out on WiiWare—and I'll buy it and play it. I don't fucking whine about how much better it would look in 720p or how shitty the sound is, because I can't play theoretical games that only exist in my head. I also don't go into Resident Evil 5 threads and talk shit about how much better it would play with a Wiimote or how the graphics could easily be downscaled to go on the Wii and omg why does Capcom hate the market leader??? Because I can't play that imaginary game, and instead of refusing to acknowledge anything that exists outside of my narrow viewpoint, I'd rather enjoy games as they are.

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
    edited March 2009

etc are bad adverts?

You really weren't turned off at all by the lame, teenaged, action movie vibe conveyed there?

I happen to like some of those individual games, but the presentation is an affront to my adulthood. If Gears of War could be reskinned with Animal Crossing characters (or almost less bro-tastic), it would definitely be an improvement.

Hockey Johnston on
    edited March 2009

etc are bad adverts?

You really weren't turned off at all by the lame, teenaged, action movie vibe conveyed there?

I happen to like some of those individual games, but the presentation is an affront to my adulthood. If Gears of War could be reskinned with Animal Crossing characters (or almost anything less bro-tastic), it would definitely be an improvement.

Hockey Johnston on
    edited March 2009

I once made a wii list warz thread. True story :)

Then the man shut me down :(

Guek on
    edited March 2009
    Guek wrote: »

I once made a wii list warz thread. True story :)

Then the man shut me down :(

I miss the Wii games thread... :(

Mblackwell on

edited March 2009
    subedii wrote: »
    I'm not even thinking of HD. For some reason Nintendo's been really averse to online functionality, even now it seems as if they almost think of any online features as an afterthought. I honestly think better integration with online features would help Nintendo even in the casual market

Nintendo fears public lashback, and just few days we heard from media that Animal Crossing is full of pedophiles, so can you blame them? Remember, this is company that was blamed for growing violence by US senate thanks to Super Scope. Online is very, very tricky matter, and even Microsoft believes that their current model is problematic and has given poor image about the company. This is mainly because no matter Microsoft has done, newbies are too often greeted by teenagers who tell them that they are jewish afro-american homosexuals. Majority of people don't return after this. But how can you solve this problem? No idea.

elkatas on
    Hypnotically inclined.
  • RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    And there's more games on the Wii I'm interested in than for either the 360 or the PS3. Blasphemous, probably, but all the PS3 has for me is Disgaea 3.

The 360 just has Dead Rising, Ninety Nine Nights, Tales of Vesperia, and Project Sylpheed.

All the awesome shmups on the 360 don't tempt you at all? I would have thought given that you were one of only 3 people in the world to purchase Shikigami 3 & Ultimate Shooting Collection that it would be otherwise.

How many of them were released in the US? Less than three? :P

You really haven't been keeping up with XBox Live Arcade releases have you? :)

Geometry Wars 2 (best shmup of all time IMO)
    Triggerheart Exelica (shmup/puzzle hybrid where you grab enemies with a grappling hook then hurl them at other enemies)
    Omega Five (Forgotten Worlds done right)
    R-Type Dimensions (remake of R-Type 1&2)
    Heavy Weapon (so much fun in co-op)
    Galaga Legions (almost like a shmup/tower defense hybrid)
    Mutant Storm Empire
    Mutant Storm Reloaded
    Ikaruga (Better than the Gamecube version)

And that's just the cream of the crop; I could have listed a lot more games. What's more, all of those games (except for R-Type Dimensions) are only $10 so you can construct your own XBox 360 Ultimate Shooting Collection.

Also, XNA Community Games are going to be made available in Japan soon. Japan has a thriving homebrew bullet hell shmup community. Put the two together and we can expect a lot of awesome indie shmups in the future.

RainbowDespair on
  • agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    subedii wrote: »
    I'm not even thinking of HD. For some reason Nintendo's been really averse to online functionality, even now it seems as if they almost think of any online features as an afterthought. I honestly think better integration with online features would help Nintendo even in the casual market

Nintendo fears public lashback, and just few days we heard from media that Animal Crossing is full of pedophiles, so can you blame them? Remember, this is company that was blamed for growing violence by US senate thanks to Super Scope. Online is very, very tricky matter, and even Microsoft believes that current model is somewhat bad for their imago, thanks teenagers who tell new gamers are jewish afro-american homosexuals. But how can you solve this problem? No idea.

Seems like more of a reason to just go whole hog if they're going to accuse all your adult users as pedophiles anyway.

agoaj on
    ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • The Fourth EstateThe Fourth Estate Registered User regular
    edited March 2009

20061113.jpg

How does the existence of, say, Big Brain Academy impede my ability to walk into a shop and pick up MadWorld off a shelf?

"I was going to buy MadWorld, but then I saw BenTen next to it on the shelf. That made my angry, so I punched a wall and shattered the bones in my wrist. Now I can't play games until it heals. Thanks Nintendo."

When was the last time you saw;

[Physics On!] Professor Heinz Wolff's Gravity for Wii
    on the first page of G&T? (For the record, I had to google Wii shovelware to find the names of those two titles)

You don't need to have any significant interaction with the shovelware on Wii at all, so your idea of 'sifting' is incredibly wrongheaded.

The Fourth Estate on
  • Lave IILave II Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Lunker wrote: »
    Brym wrote: »
    I have no idea what List Warz are supposed to be.

Me: Name a game worth playing in the last 9 months. 90+ metacritic would qualify.

You: I'm taking my ball and going home! You don't play fair!

List Warz is the ironic term for the bullshit "list X games that are good on a platform" forum-debate tactic. Once the horn has been sounded, someone responds by posting a list of what he thinks—in his opinion—are good games, and then the originator goes on to discredit every single game on the list because of his own opinion. It's a ridiculously trite message-board strategy because it assumes that quality is objective and opinion is indisputable fact, and all it leads to is finger-pointing, name-calling and "Nuh-uh!" Your immediate response of "light gun games, ROOOOOOFL" and qualifier of "only 90+ metacritic titles" only proves the point further.

Hot dogs are not objectively better than hamburgers. Even if the amount of time required to finish a hot dog is shorter than a hamburger, or generally you
    find yourself eating hamburgers more often than hot dogs.

I've been around these boards for years and I honestly don't remember this many self-loathing multi-console owners in any previous generation. This chest-beating tactic of whining and complaining about being forced into owning a Wii and frowning every single time you look at it
    or lower yourself enough to actually touch it is very, very tiring. Game consoles are just tools to play games; if you're not getting enjoyment out of owning one and accessing the games it plays, then fucking sell it and be done. I own a Wii, 360, DS and PSP, and honestly the Wii probably gets the least amount of playtime nowadays, but you don't see me tearing my hear and gnashing my teeth over it. Why? Because I'm too busy playing all of the other fucking awesome games on other consoles right now. The only reason I don't own a PS3 is because I'm so busy playing stuff that I'd never have time to get to it.

This is the entire goddamned point of owning multiple consoles—to increase the scope of games available at your disposal. Again, I probably use my other consoles more than the Wii recently, but I don't resent this hunk of plastic and silicon because it gets turned on less than my other hunks of plastic and silicon. Sometimes I get in the mood for a Wii game—like the excellent Bit.Trip Beat that just came out on WiiWare—and I'll buy it and play it. I don't fucking whine about how much better it would look in 720p or how shitty the sound is, because I can't play theoretical games that only exist in my head. I also don't go into Resident Evil 5 threads and talk shit about how much better it would play with a Wiimote or how the graphics could easily be downscaled to go on the Wii and omg why does Capcom hate the market leader??? Because I can't play that imaginary game, and instead of refusing to acknowledge anything that exists outside of my narrow viewpoint, I'd rather enjoy games as they are.

Shit, I ran out of lime. Well you get my point.

Jesus fuck people.

I would also like to remind you that the Wii has held it's value amazing. You could sell it today and (in the uk at least) maybe even break even. You'ld get enough for a 360 at least.

So booo hooo hooo!

Lave II on
  • HtownHtown Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Yeah, I honestly don't know why the amount of shovelware on the system has any effect on you guys. Just don't buy it.

It's not about how many crappy games are on the system, it's about how many good games there are. You know the last console with this many crappy games on it? It was called the PS2.

Htown on
    steam_sig.png
  • urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I dunno. I don't think the PS2 was this bad. The Wii/DS popularity has made it a haven for shovelware. Horsez 2: Horse Harder came out a few months ago and that looks pretty good.

urahonky on
    edited March 2009
    urahonky wrote: »
    I dunno. I don't think the PS2 was this bad.

Just look at my avatar, feel how it sucks your soul away, and then tell me it wasn't that bad. :)

elkatas on
    Hypnotically inclined.
  • urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    urahonky wrote: »
    I dunno. I don't think the PS2 was this bad.

Just look at my avatar, feel how it sucks your soul away, and then tell me it wasn't that bad. :)

I spent all my money on games online. I guess I blocked out shovelware in my head.

urahonky on
  • LapineLapine Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Edit: Also to Lapine... the Wii does support 16:9 widescreen, you can set it in the options. It should work just fine.

I know some games have true widescreen, but the games that don't just get stretched out. I would have preferred that widescreen, 480P, would have been made mandatory for all games. Maybe they are getting better about this now and the majority of them do.

Lapine on
    PSN: Lapine
    edited March 2009
    Lapine wrote: »
    Maybe they are getting better about this now and the majority of them do.

A lot better. There are still few odd pieces that don't support both, but overall things have gotten lot better.

elkatas on
    Hypnotically inclined.
This discussion has been closed.