Club PA 2.0 has arrived! If you'd like to access some extra PA content and help support the forums, check it out at patreon.com/ClubPA
The image size limit has been raised to 1mb! Anything larger than that should be linked to. This is a HARD limit, please do not abuse it.
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

What are we reading?

• VanityPantsVanityPants Gokai Red! Registered User regular
    I still haven't managed to make it through the first Mistborn book. Sanderson is one of those writers, along with Erikson, where every time I hear all of the praise I want to go back and try again but never manage to get into it.

I'm reading Ship of Magic by Robin Hobb now! It's kind of slow going and it's been a little difficult to get into, but it's starting to pay off now! While I'm not enjoying it quite as much as the Farseer trilogy, I'm still loving it.

Gokai_zpsdvyiviz0.png
  • CheeselikerCheeseliker Registered User regular
    The Dresden Files are pretty great pulpy supernatural detective novels. On the third at the moment.

• Big DookieBig Dookie Smells great! Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    The Dresden Files are pretty great pulpy supernatural detective novels. On the third at the moment.

Yeah, I just started the third one too. I enjoyed the first two well enough. Really fun books.

Steam | Twitch
    Oculus: TheBigDookie | XBL: Dook | NNID: BigDookie
  • ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Dude was even racist against most other white people
    a true xenophobe

but yeah, Dunwich Horror is one of my favorite pieces of cosmic horror, possibly ever

like I can envision that smell and that voice and ugggggh my skin is crawling

Lovecraft was amazing at what he did, but what he did was very limited and after about a half-dozen of his works they all sort of bleed together. Also, my god but that guy had a tin ear for dialogue.

Still, though, when first stumbling across his work it's pretty wonderful.

Maddie: "I named my feet. The left one is flip and the right one is flop. Oh, and also I named my flip-flops."

I make tweet.
  • WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    The Colour Out of Space is notable for simultaneously being the worst thing he ever wrote - people have killed themselves over that dialogue - along with being an erudite, insightful, horrifying look at the effects of radiation on the natural world, before that was even a thing

Whisperer in the Darkness was also nice in that I think it was the first major "aliens among us" story

• TheBigEasyTheBigEasy Registered User regular
    So I am currently trying to get into Neal Stephenson again. Years ago I tried the Cryptonomicon, but didn't get very far. Now I have downloaded "Snow Crash" - and it is equally hard to get into. Anybody has the same problems with his work? Both books are supposedly good and among his best, but so far they don't do anything for me.

Kana
  • AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular
    I still haven't managed to make it through the first Mistborn book. Sanderson is one of those writers, along with Erikson, where every time I hear all of the praise I want to go back and try again but never manage to get into it.

I think it's the book. I like Sanderson. His work on Wheel of Time I enjoy, and he came out with The Way of Kings that I absolutely loved. Going through the first book, it wasn't until later in the book (2nd half, to last third) that I really got into the story. I think he just spent too much time explaining things in the beginning, it felt like it dragged.

After knowing I already liked him, I had a hard time because I went and bought the whole trilogy but didn't know if I'd get through the first book. Now that I've completed it, however, I enjoy it a lot more, and am happily reading the second.

If you can push through, try to keep going, you may end up enjoying it after all.

I'll probably end up trying again just to make sure it's really not for me, but I didn't enjoy The Way of Kings either. So, who knows!

Gokai_zpsdvyiviz0.png
  • KamarKamar Registered User regular
    I think it's the book. I like Sanderson. His work on Wheel of Time I enjoy, and he came out with The Way of Kings that I absolutely loved. Going through the first book, it wasn't until later in the book (2nd half, to last third) that I really got into the story. I think he just spent too much time explaining things in the beginning, it felt like it dragged.

Sanderson mentioned in one of his Writing Excuses podcasts that he took a risk with Way of Kings by doing a lot of slow worldbuilding and setup in the beginning, hoping that his readers would trust his writing enough to get through it. Not sure how I feel about that, and he seemed kind of on the fence about it after-the-fact himself, but it's interesting to know that he's aware of things like that.

• MagellMagell Sphinx! Parts UnknownRegistered User regular
    TheBigEasy wrote: »
    So I am currently trying to get into Neal Stephenson again. Years ago I tried the Cryptonomicon, but didn't get very far. Now I have downloaded "Snow Crash" - and it is equally hard to get into. Anybody has the same problems with his work? Both books are supposedly good and among his best, but so far they don't do anything for me.

I could see having that problem with Cryptonomicon, but if you can't get into Snow Crash you might be dead inside. The only explanation I will allow is that you don't like cyberpunk as a genre.

• DissociaterDissociater Registered User regular
    I remember reading A Game of Rap...err Thrones not long after it came out. I just could not get in to it. The amount of abuse and descriptions of rape in that book...I threw the book out (only book I have done that to)...I threw the book out in disgust and picked up Gardens of The Moon by Steven Erickson. My god what a fantastic series the Malazan Book of The Fallen has been. I am up to the last book in the series now.

I have also been reading the Romance of The Three Kingdom books of lae. Talk about hard to read. But they are well worth the effort.

Are...are you me?

Actually I made it through I think 4 or 5 of the GRRM books some years ago. I remember thinking they were alright, just not great. I found it far too cynical. Love Malazan though.

I also really liked Romance of the Three Kingdoms. I like how every chapter ends with a question, and then the statement "Read on to find out". Which is then immediately resolved within the first two lines of the next chapter.

• DirtyDirtyVagrantDirtyDirtyVagrant Registered User regular
    So I'm looking for a book! Something fantasy I think. But a low-magic setting. Like historical fantasy. Any suggestions? (I've already read ASOIAF)

• WankWank Registered User regular
    So I'm looking for a book! Something fantasy I think. But a low-magic setting. Like historical fantasy. Any suggestions? (I've already read ASOIAF)
    Do you like steampunky settings ?

• A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular
    edited July 2012

Lies of Locke Lamora perhaps?

Joe Abercrombie's stuff is excellent as well, it's got some magicky stuff, but it's very much the exception.

A Dabble Of Thelonius on
    vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan
  • DirtyDirtyVagrantDirtyDirtyVagrant Registered User regular
    Wank wrote: »
    Do you like steampunky settings ?

Uh huh!

@DirtyDirtyVagrant -- I've recommended this before, but I'm going to say it again: go read The Saxon Tales by Bernard Cornwell! It's historical fiction, but it has everything you'd want from a good low-magic fantasy novel. The action is incredible, the characters are all really engaging and interesting, and the world building is spot-on perfect.

Beyond that, I'd suggest The Farseer Trilogy by Robin Hobb. As the trilogy progresses, magic is involved more and more (although it's never overwhelming,) but I'd still recommend the trilogy just because the books focus almost solely on the characters instead of on the magic.

Gokai_zpsdvyiviz0.png
  • azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    Read "Year Zero" this week. Its kinda a funny concept, feels like a hitchhikers in some respects but i have to say some of the writing didnt sit well with me.

The idea was cute, but the main characters were all too quickly willing to accept and treat the notion of aliens as fact way too easily.

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • Big DookieBig Dookie Smells great! Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    Finished Lucifer's Hammer. Pretty good book, though it did feel like it was dragging a bit by the end.

Steam | Twitch
    Oculus: TheBigDookie | XBL: Dook | NNID: BigDookie
  • KilnagaKilnaga Registered User regular
    I must have secret masochistic tendencies. I don't know what possessed me, but for some reason I started re-reading Gravity's Rainbow.

† We don't have to be mean. 'Cause, remember: no matter where you go... there you are.†
    DS Friend Code: 2680-9293-7063
  • tapeslingertapeslinger Space Unicorn Slush Ranger Social Justice Rebel ScumRegistered User regular
    Kilnaga wrote: »
    I must have secret masochistic tendencies. I don't know what possessed me, but for some reason I started re-reading Gravity's Rainbow.

this really works best while drinking copious amounts of whiskey

• RazalgrimRazalgrim Registered User regular
    Stephen King's Insomnia as a bed-side read.

I'm a big fan of his, but the hundred pages I read don't seem very good.

Listening to Guy Gavriel Kay's Under Heaven during my workouts and enjoying it a lot so far! Then in actual book format, I'm reading Gabaldon's Outlander because... well, why not? I was curious. Enjoying it so far, though.

Gokai_zpsdvyiviz0.png
  • InkyblotsInkyblots Registered User regular
    I'm going to read A Confederacy of Dunces again since it's the only book to ever make me laugh out loud (Haven't read much though). I remember falling in love with it back when I was 18 so I am excited!

• ruzkinruzkin Registered User regular
    Razalgrim wrote: »

That book was the moment when I finally realised that Stephen King had lost his touch. It doesn't get any better.

g4OlSIF.jpg
    I'm reading Desperation by King right now and it doesn't feel like he's lost his touch in that book.

Gokai_zpsdvyiviz0.png
    ruzkin wrote: »

That book was the moment when I finally realised that Stephen King had lost his touch. It doesn't get any better.

I did not like Insomnia. It has some nice imagery, I guess, but I can definitely see how you could say that. Entirely disappointing. Still, I just picked up The Regulators. The only other Bachman book I've read is Blaze, which kinda sucked, but I've heard some nice things about this one so I'm hopeful.

Also, anyone here read some of Nelson DeMille's books? It's fucking astounding how different his voice is in Cathedral from The Gold Coast.

• WyredWyred Registered User regular
    Recently finished Earth Unaware, Orson Scott Card prequel to Ender series. Typical Card, nothing amazing, maybe enjoyable if you liked Ender's Game but the end is a cliff hanger and it's not clear if/when a sequel is due.

Just got a collection of three of Shirley Jackson's stories (she's famous for a short called The Lottery), starting on Hangsaman which is dark, subtle, very character heavy, but engaging.

Also started Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood, which looks good.

I'm reading Desperation by King right now and it doesn't feel like he's lost his touch in that book.

Oh yeah, that's one crazy-ass intense book.

• wuzzmanwuzzman Registered User regular

I've been hearing great news about that book but all descriptions doesn't lead to much special. Anyone want to distill to me why this series is so pro.

Okay, wow, so The Regulators was freaking amazing. Think I have to get Desperation next.

• WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    Duma Key is also a fantastic recent King book.

wuzzman wrote: »

I've been hearing great news about that book but all descriptions doesn't lead to much special. Anyone want to distill to me why this series is so pro.

It's a supernatural detective series with a wizard as the main character who goes up against sorcerers and werewolves and vampires and demons. What more do you want?

• ruzkinruzkin Registered User regular
    I couldn't do The Regulators. Tried three times but it was painfully boring, and this is coming from a guy who struggled through Bag of Bones.

g4OlSIF.jpg
    Okay, wow, so The Regulators was freaking amazing. Think I have to get Desperation next.

Definitely get Desperation! I finished it up over the weekend and it was a crazy, awesome ride from start to finish.

Gokai_zpsdvyiviz0.png
  • AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular
    Question for any who may have read it.

Picked up the first book in the "Sword of Shannara" because I've seen the names around. Half way through it, but I'm just feeling like its not written that well. Seems to jump all over the place with who is thinking (any of the 6 main characters can given their thoughts at any time) and generally just seems like it's poorly written.

Am I mistaken/too hypercritical? Does the series get better? Or is it just one of those books that everyone knows, but generally is just average?

Trying to decide if it's worth it to finish the book and continue on in the series.

• azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    I'm in need of a new series to read.

I just finished going through the safehold series, have another month until the next book comes out, but speeding through the first 4-5 books has me itching for new material.

My interests have ranged from fantasy to sci-fi. I've read weber 's honor harrington, the safehold series, the bolo novels (most of them at least), The wheel of time, brandon sandersons stuff, riftwar... What i need to do is find another nice long already established series to go through. Suggestions are welcome.

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • vamenvamen Registered User regular
    edited August 2012
    azith28 wrote: »

I just finished going through the safehold series, have another month until the next book comes out, but speeding through the first 4-5 books has me itching for new material.

My interests have ranged from fantasy to sci-fi. I've read weber 's honor harrington, the safehold series, the bolo novels (most of them at least), The wheel of time, brandon sandersons stuff, riftwar... What i need to do is find another nice long already established series to go through. Suggestions are welcome.

I would suggest The Black Company by Glen Cook. While I don't really like his other work that I've read, Black Company is one of my top series. It's basically finished - there is talk of two more books but who knows if we'll ever see them - and all of them have been rerelease in the last few years in handy and inexpensive omnibus editions.

The Chronicles of The Black Company (books 1-3, "The Black Company", "Shadows Linger", and "The White Rose")
    The Books of the South (books 4 and 5 plus a related spin-off, "Shadow Games", "Dreams of Steel", and "The Silver Spike")
    The Return of The Black Company (books 6 and 7, "Bleak Seasons", and "She Is the Darkness")
    The Many Deaths of The Black Company (books 8 and 9, "Water Sleeps", and "Soldiers Live")

vamen on
    PA Fitocracy Group: Join us to try & be healthier so we can all game for many years to come.
    Sometimes I write (badly) about trying to learn music (badly).

I'd suggest picking up some Robin Hobb if you haven't already. Start with the Farseer trilogy and go from there! She writes in trilogies and most of her books are in the same world.

Gokai_zpsdvyiviz0.png
  • KilnagaKilnaga Registered User regular

Roger Zelazny's The Chronicles of Amber, at least the Corwin Cycle (Books 1-5).

† We don't have to be mean. 'Cause, remember: no matter where you go... there you are.†
    DS Friend Code: 2680-9293-7063
    I ended up picking up Ship of Magic after having set it down 200 pages in before. Powered through and by the middle it got a lot better.

I have such a problem with multi-POV fantasy books sometimes. It can REALLY work well, but it can also take absolutely for-freaking-ever to get into. I ended up really enjoying the book by the end and I'm just glad when I pick up the next book in the trilogy I won't have to go through that breaking-in period again.

Now I just started the fifth Dresden book, giving the series another go after reading the first four and being pretty ho-hum about them. So far, this book is actually clicking with me as what everyone said the series was. Seems like this week is all about giving things a second chance and ending up happy I did.

Gokai_zpsdvyiviz0.png