Club PA 2.0 has arrived! If you'd like to access some extra PA content and help support the forums, check it out at patreon.com/ClubPA
The image size limit has been raised to 1mb! Anything larger than that should be linked to. This is a HARD limit, please do not abuse it.
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

What are we reading?

• MagellMagell Sphinx! Parts UnknownRegistered User regular
    I just read Lisa Lutz's The Spellman Files and it's a fun private eye book. Has a kind of Veronica Mars feel to it, but is still different enough to be worth reading. The beginning is a little rough as it's a lot of short stories to introduce a character dynamics, but once the main plot gets going it's a fun read.

• tapeslingertapeslinger Space Unicorn Slush Ranger Social Justice Rebel ScumRegistered User regular
    edited August 2012
    about 200 words* into one of Lee Child's Jack Reacher novels and really not feeling it at all... my mum and sisters love them so I have been badgered into giving it a try and the writing is just... ugh, it is dry and not very good. Lots of "He was [adverb adverb adjective]" or "He knew [some plot detail he shouldn't necessarily know]."

I will probably try to finish it, but it is just not for me

*fatigue induced hilarious typo meaning "pages"

tapeslinger on
  • VanityPantsVanityPants Gokai Red! Registered User regular
    Dang, I usually give books a little longer than 200 words...!

Gokai_zpsdvyiviz0.png
  • tapeslingertapeslinger Space Unicorn Slush Ranger Social Justice Rebel ScumRegistered User regular
    HA
    pages
    not words

this is how frustrating that book is! ugggh so dry

• chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Registered User regular
    edited August 2012
    Yeah, 200 pages is more than a fair shot.

200 words, no.

chiasaur11 on
  • liquiddarkliquiddark Odd magpie St. John's, NLRegistered User regular
    Read Emma Donoghue's book Room last night. I'm a bit of a whore for that kind of linguistic game anyway, but that was a particularly buttery incarnation. Also reading Anathem, which has been on my stack for well over a year now. And I'm ploughing through the English Standard Version of the Bible, which is not nearly as lovely as the King James but has the singular advantage of being free.

Current project: Contension, a realtime tactics game for mobile
    @oldmanhero .programming .web comic .everything
    Fifth Dresden book was a major turn-around in the series for me, after all! I'm excited to pick up the next books.

Now I'm reading To Say Nothing of the Dog, which I'm simultaneously enjoying and having difficulty sinking any large amounts of time into. I don't know why, but I can only seem to manage to read a few pages of it at a time, which is making it sloooow. Next up will be Golden Fool by Robin Hobb, which I'm really looking forward to.

@Liquiddark I haven't read Room yet, but I did read Donoghue's Hood, which I really enjoyed. I'll have to check out Room!

Gokai_zpsdvyiviz0.png
    I'm reading Richard Morgan's Woken Furies and I'm not very excited by it, but feel the need to finish. I don't much care for his graphic sex, especially because it isn't well described and he always uses 'cunt' and 'prick' to describe the sexual organs which are insults to me. Just use 'penis' and 'vagina.'

Have you read the first two books in that series? Woken Furies is the weakest of the three but yeah, the sex is comically bad in all of them.

Nope, I didn't realize it was part of a series until I was a decent way into it. My biggest problem with it is it's long with no real driving force and stuff just happens and keeps going.

Yeah, the first book is the best and the subsequent books have diminishing returns... Altered Carbon and Broken Angels were the other two. The first, hamfisted bad sex aside, is awesome and one of my favorite novels in the cyberpunk deep future, but it's a very different book. All of them are challenging and I can't imagine slogging through out of order.

• DekoDeko USARegistered User regular
    Just finished reading:
    EVE: The Empyrean Age by Tony Gonzales

Now reading, The Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkien

• StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    The Hobbit is one of my pet books. It's just a wonderful experience.

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | 3DS: 0130-2805-2850
    camo_sig2.png
    So, To Say Nothing of the Dog was pretty okay. It was really funny in some parts but it felt way longer than it should have been. There seemed to be two mysteries going on, one about the characters and one about an item--the first mystery was easy to solve a quarter of the way in and the second one I could never bring myself to care about.

I enjoyed it well enough, I'm just not quite sure where all of the praise comes from. Maybe I'm missing something.

I'm starting Golden Fool by Robin Hobb, now. Always excited to read more Hobb! I think next I'll pick up Sword Song by Cornwell. I love the Saxon Tales so much, I'm trying to savor them by not catching up TOO quickly.

Gokai_zpsdvyiviz0.png
  • Theodore FlooseveltTheodore Floosevelt DON'T call me annie... unless you're my friendRegistered User regular
    Stopped by a Goodwill yesterday and picked up:

Runaway, a short story collection by Alice Munro, because Alice Munro is great and I need to read more Alice Munro

and

Heart-Shaped Box by Joe Hill, pretty much just because Locke & Key is dope

Joe Hill is pretty great! Locke & Key is amazing and while I haven't read Heart-Shaped Box, his novel Horns was fantastic. His writing almost makes me feel like I'm reading Stephen King crossed with Neil Gaiman.

Gokai_zpsdvyiviz0.png
    I also did not like To Say Nothing of the Dog. It wasn't awful, but it was definitely too long, and just dragged along.

Just finished Get Shorty and like all of Leonard's books I'm sad I don't get to spend more time with the characters in them.

Magell wrote: »
    I also did not like To Say Nothing of the Dog. It wasn't awful, but it was definitely too long, and just dragged along.

Just finished Get Shorty and like all of Leonard's books I'm sad I don't get to spend more time with the characters in them.

Guessing you watch Justified?

I mean, it's heresy in a book thread, but it's a lot of time with Leonard characters.

As for me, got a couple light reads between me and War and Peace. Tried Dostoyevsky before, and he's rewarding, but if Tolstoy's more of a slog, I have a feeling my ass is going in traction.

I don't watch Justified, because I'm awful at remembering cable channels have tv shows to watch.

Magell wrote: »
    I don't watch Justified, because I'm awful at remembering cable channels have tv shows to watch.

Just get it on DVD, then.

It's excellent. The first episode is a notably improved version of Fire In the Hole.

I know what I just said.

• Theodore FlooseveltTheodore Floosevelt DON'T call me annie... unless you're my friendRegistered User regular
    Joe Hill is pretty great! Locke & Key is amazing and while I haven't read Heart-Shaped Box, his novel Horns was fantastic. His writing almost makes me feel like I'm reading Stephen King crossed with Neil Gaiman.

Yeah, I brought it to read during lunch today and am excited

I'll check back in with an impression after I've given it The Tapeslinger 200™

tapeslinger
    edited September 2012
    ahahaha fantastic
    also I totes gave up at the 200 page mark
    sorry Charlie Tuna
    the Jack Reacher series is not for me thanks

tapeslinger on
  • CheeselikerCheeseliker Registered User regular
    I'm reading Infinite Jest and...well...it's a doozy.

Finished Golden Fool, but now I think I need to go back and read the other two books of the Liveship series before I read the last book in the Tawny Man trilogy. I knew the two series were connected in that they took place in the same world, but hadn't realized how the two were going to tie together.

I already ended up getting some big spoilers in Golden Fool, and I think if I read the last Tawny Man book I'll basically know everything that happens in Liveship. Agh.

Anyway, for now I'm going to read Sword Song by Bernard Cornwell. Majorly excited for more Uhtred!

Gokai_zpsdvyiviz0.png
    I just finished Brandon Sanderson's Mistborn and I fucking loved it. The magic system is interesting and well explained. The novelty of it never wears off and works to give it an interesting feel among fantasy stories. The characters are interesting as well, and I'm excited to pick up more books in the series.

I also read Michael Crichton's Pirate Latitudes and it was an enjoyable fun read. He's written better books, but this was a fun swashbuckling adventure. Glad to finally go back to an author I read while younger and not be disappointed.

I've also been reading more of Lisa Lutz's Spellman series and I greatly enjoy those books.

Started on War and Peace.

It's good! I mean, I'm less than 30 pages in, and the characters are reasonably, the building political landscape is promising, and the edition I'm reading has a character guide at the front for when they dump fifty new characters in at once and they all have 12 names.

Better, it's a 1942 edition, so there's Hitler bashing on top of everything else.

• azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    I just finished reading the last book in the black company series.

What the hell happen to the guy in the last book? it felt so disjointed and confusing to read. I was interested in the story all the way up to that book but the last one just felt like i was having to really make myself slog though just so i could say i was done.

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    chiasaur11 wrote: »
    Started on War and Peace.

It's good! I mean, I'm less than 30 pages in, and the characters are reasonably, the building political landscape is promising, and the edition I'm reading has a character guide at the front for when they dump fifty new characters in at once and they all have 12 names.

Better, it's a 1942 edition, so there's Hitler bashing on top of everything else.

I love how some guy that shows up on page 263 then disappears 2 pages later and finally returns on page 1499 without like nothing happened and you're supposed to TOTALLY remember EVERYTHING ABOUT ALL HIS LIFE FOREVER.

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | 3DS: 0130-2805-2850
    camo_sig2.png
  • Lord_SnotLord_Snot Живу за выходные American ValhallaRegistered User regular
    I just finished Animal Farm, which despite being a big Orwell fan, I'd never read before. Wonderful, but oh so soul-crushing.

I also just started A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man, it seems very good so far.

• B_RB_R Registered User regular
    I'm reading Infinite Jest and...well...it's a doozy.

Keep at it. The storylines start to connect in the second half.

Sword Song was just as good as I'd hoped it would be!

Now I'm reading The Briar King by Greg Keyes. It does the multiple POV thing fantasy seems to be so fond of and which I am definitely not fond of. It bothers me that multi-POV books often feel like you're reading 5 or more separate stories until you find out how they're connected somewhere down the line.

On the other hand, I've enjoyed every POV character that has been introduced so far, so I'm still liking it!

Gokai_zpsdvyiviz0.png
  • AmaliaAmalia AuthorFace Registered User regular
    I am trying REALLY hard to read a book but 40+ pages in, and it kind of feels like work. It's a shame, too, because it has all the earmarks of something I should love -- mythology, history, gods and goddesses -- but I am just not feeling it.

Sometimes I blog. Other times I tweet. But I'm always writing. (and so is that other Amalia)

Give the Gift of Thor! Or maybe you'd be interested in that Orc Book I wrote.
  • E-gongaE-gonga Registered User regular
    I'm nearing the end of the first Thomas Covenant novel, but to be honest I'm not enjoying it. I think it's a case that people were telling me how amazing and ground breaking it is before I read it and that's altered my expectations of it.

• KrubixCubeKrubixCube Registered User
    Started reading The Quantum Thief, which is an easy enough read, along with a dry but interesting biography on Beethoven. Finding the Quantum Thief a little bit...not quite sure how to put it, but it throws a LOT of terms in your face without explaining them in a kind of "look at this world I've created. Oh, you don't get what this is? Idiot." Elitist? I suppose that's it. Not to the point of making me put it down, mind you but it could have been handled better.

sig.gif
    Started reading The Quantum Thief, which is an easy enough read, along with a dry but interesting biography on Beethoven. Finding the Quantum Thief a little bit...not quite sure how to put it, but it throws a LOT of terms in your face without explaining them in a kind of "look at this world I've created. Oh, you don't get what this is? Idiot." Elitist? I suppose that's it. Not to the point of making me put it down, mind you but it could have been handled better.

sig.gif
  • AmaliaAmalia AuthorFace Registered User regular
    Just started reading THE WINDS OF ALTAIR by Ben Bova, which is kind of a lot like James Cameron's AVATAR movie, in concept. Man goes out into space to colonize a planet and finds intelligent life there which screws up all their plans, blah blah. It's pretty interesting! A little bit dated in some respects, but insightful in others. Particularly the extremist religious group in charge.

Sometimes I blog. Other times I tweet. But I'm always writing. (and so is that other Amalia)

Give the Gift of Thor! Or maybe you'd be interested in that Orc Book I wrote.
    edited September 2012
    Old science fiction is like that isn't it? Some of it is so very quaint but then you hit concepts that still haven't really been done in modern works too.

KrubixCube on
    sig.gif
    Old science fiction is like that isn't it. Some of it is so very quaint but then you hit concepts that still haven't really been done in modern works too.

sig.gif
  • liquiddarkliquiddark Odd magpie St. John's, NLRegistered User regular
    edited September 2012
    Finally finished Anathem. I'm delighted that Stephenson spiked the landing on that ending. Even more delighted to find out that it's really about what it's about. It is succeeded by the second volume of David Drake's The Complete Hammer's Slammers's, which so far is good, readable, detail-oriented war fiction, but very similar in voice and subject matter to the first volume. Still reading the ESV Bible, but starting to suspect I should be reading the KJV, as the ESV is not what you'd call poetic. Took a look at various editions of the Torah and Tanakh, but going to leave that alone for now. Found what appears to be a decent English ebook version of the Qur'an, too.

liquiddark on
    Current project: Contension, a realtime tactics game for mobile
    @oldmanhero .programming .web comic .everything
  • EleuvoxEleuvox Registered User
    Just finished Event Factory by Renee Gladman. Excellent work, meandering and contemplative. Looking forward to both the sequel and other works put forth by Dorothy.

Moving into Maggie Nelson's Bluets. Amusingly enough, it seems to take after Event Factory, although it falls significantly further on the prose poetry end of the spectrum.