Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

What are we reading?

1747576777880»

• MagellMagell Sphinx! Parts UnknownRegistered User regular
    I'm reading "The Army of the Republic" by Stuart Archer Cohen because it's about resisting a government that is ruled by corporate interests and how the people can be motivated to fight it and that feels relevant right now for some reason.

• ChasinTheTraneChasinTheTrane Registered User regular
    I'm working through "Moby Dick" now. I like it a lot, but it sure does get dense. Maybe it's something I'd enjoy reading again after, but it definitely feels like work right now. I'm loving his style of writing and I was drawn to it so I can start developing better description writing skills, which he definitely has. Melville could probably write 30 pages to describe my keyboard.

• Baron DirigibleBaron Dirigible Registered User regular
    I'm currently working my way through the Expanse series, on the recommendation of someone from work. I'm halfway through the first book and I have opinions.
    I felt it started off really strongly, and I'm a big fan of novels with alternating viewpoints. And then the two protagonists eventually meet, and I had to slog through what felt like hundreds of pages of monotony, with the unshakable feeling that these two characters had no distinguishing features at all.

Why didn't we cut to a chapter led by Naomi while Miller and Holden were getting themselves exposed to radiation for no good reason whatsoever? At least then we might have had some character development that meant a damn. Instead we get middle-aged sadcase A and middle-aged sadcase B wandering off on some daft sidequest, with nothing to justify having them both present and no need to alternate their viewpoints.

Perfection is achieved not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.
  • Big DookieBig Dookie Smells great! Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    I'm currently working my way through the Expanse series, on the recommendation of someone from work. I'm halfway through the first book and I have opinions.
    I felt it started off really strongly, and I'm a big fan of novels with alternating viewpoints. And then the two protagonists eventually meet, and I had to slog through what felt like hundreds of pages of monotony, with the unshakable feeling that these two characters had no distinguishing features at all.

Why didn't we cut to a chapter led by Naomi while Miller and Holden were getting themselves exposed to radiation for no good reason whatsoever? At least then we might have had some character development that meant a damn. Instead we get middle-aged sadcase A and middle-aged sadcase B wandering off on some daft sidequest, with nothing to justify having them both present and no need to alternate their viewpoints.

Interestingly, I just started reading Leviathan Wakes last week as well and now am about 75% or so finished with it. I will now also deliver opinions!
    I'm right with you for the most part. When the two stories were separated, it made sense alternating their viewpoints, and the characters themselves seemed fairly different as well - Miller is a pessimist/realist who has been churned up by the system, while Holden is more of an optimist who still thinks he can make a difference in the system even after such a traumatic event. But yeah, when they meet, there is technically no reason to keep alternating their viewpoints since it added nothing to the story at that point, and it actively hurts their character building because they slowly seem to merge in a lot of ways. I was good with it up until Eros station, but that would have been the perfect opportunity to cut to some different POVs and it felt wasted that it didn't. Even now with only a quarter of the book left, I still don't think it's quite recovered yet.

Thankfully I've heard that more POVs come into play as the series progresses, so hopefully this won't be as much of an issue for the second book.

Otherwise though, I'm really enjoying it. There's a fantastic element to it that keeps it fun and unpredictable, but the hard sci-fi stuff also keeps it grounded and mostly believable. Overall I'm looking forward to reading the rest of the series.

• ruzkinruzkin Registered User regular
    Despite my misgivings, I've started on the 2nd book in Brandon Sanderson's superepic series.

I really need to dissect how he can write such awful, workmanlike prose and still keep me 100% hooked.

g4OlSIF.jpg
    ruzkin wrote: »
    Despite my misgivings, I've started on the 2nd book in Brandon Sanderson's superepic series.

I really need to dissect how he can write such awful, workmanlike prose and still keep me 100% hooked.

At least part of it has to be all the behind the scenes stuff he writes. All of his world's are as real as ours and feel that way.

• EnigmedicEnigmedic Registered User regular
    ruzkin wrote: »

You dont need to be a poet to tell a story. Good prose is nice and all, but all the wordsmithing in the world means nothing if the reader doesnt care about the story.

3ds FC: 0645 - 7166 - 9801
    vamenCheeseliker
    I've been reading Thomas Pynchon's "The Bleeding Edge" and I was not ready to read a Pynchon novel. I'm getting more in the groove of it now, but his novels are always a tough thing to get through. They are worth it, but the beginnings are always so unfriendly to readers.

Cheeseliker