As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

My Intuos 2 won't work anymore!

OtakuD00DOtakuD00D Can I hit the exploding rocks?San DiegoRegistered User regular
Alas. Alack! I have an XD-0608-R model Intuos. I believe it's a 6x8. Serial tablet. Used to work fine.

...Until I got a new motherboard. See, my new motherboard lacks a Serial port, so I had to use the generic green Serial->USB converter cable that my friend included when he sold me the tablet. I've tried a bunch of things, including swapping drivers around, yet nothing seems to make my tablet work.

I run Windows XP 32-bit SP3. Can anyone please help if you've run into this?

makosig.jpg
OtakuD00D on

• Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    What kind of motherboard is it? It may have a serial port header that you can attach a DB9 connector/bracket to. I've had problematic experiences with RS-232->USB adapters myself.

Zxerol on
  • Options
    OtakuD00DOtakuD00D Can I hit the exploding rocks? San DiegoRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    It's an ASUS M2N68-VM motherboard. From what I can tell, it has no Serial port to speak of.

OtakuD00D on
    makosig.jpg
  • Options
    1ddqd1ddqd Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    You may have to buy a PCI card with a serial port on it. The only way I've ever gotten a USB Serial cable converter to work is to plug in the cable by itself - usually, it will be installed on its own. Then, plug in the cable from the tablet to the USB adapter. If that doesn't work, PCI card may be your only out.

1ddqd on
  • Options
    wasted pixelswasted pixels Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Keyspan serial to USB adapters will (after a bit of fuss) work with older Wacom products, but they're $30+, so unless that's what your friend gave you... might as well go with the $15 PCI card.

wasted pixels on
  • Options
    OtakuD00DOtakuD00D Can I hit the exploding rocks? San DiegoRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Yeah, I think I'll settle for the card. This is of course, assuming the card is slim enough to fit in between my 9800 GTX and my sound card. I don't even know what brand that converter cable is. It doesn't say.

OtakuD00D on
    makosig.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Zxerol wrote: »
    What kind of motherboard is it? It may have a serial port header that you can attach a DB9 connector/bracket to. I've had problematic experiences with RS-232->USB adapters myself.
    It does, and we got it installed after my dad managed to acquire a header and bracket. Sadly, it doesn't seem to work even after installing the tablet's drivers. What's up with that? I might have to jump into the BIOS and mess around in there. We connected it to the COM 1 header.

OtakuD00D on
    makosig.jpg
  • Options
    EgoEgo Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Serial's are sometimes disabled in BIOS by default now, so that could be all it is. Wouldn't surprise me at all if it's disabled by default when you had to hook up a bracket. If that doesn't work, probably best to check the pin prder of the COM header on the motherboard against the pin order of the serial-port-bracket itself (unless it came with the board.)

Ego on
    Erik
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Hm. Could be that. My brother said the header only went in one way. Then again, I've heard they come in two varieties. How freaking annoying. I'll have to see if it can go in the other way.

I'm tempted to just get a damn Serial PCI card.

Checked the BIOS, and I couldn't find anything about COM 1 besides it being assigned to an IRQ. Currently at (some number)/IRQ4.

OtakuD00D on
    makosig.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    All right, an update: I got my cable out. Maybe someone can decipher it? Here's what it says, from header end to the bracket:

(Cut off from left) CSA AWM I A 105C 300V FT1 28 AWG LL111055 03120515 (Long empty stretch )
    E162747 (RJ? QJ? AJ? The letters are stretched for this part) AWM 2651 VW-1 (Cut off at 105 degrees C).

OtakuD00D on
    makosig.jpg