As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[D&D 4E] King of the Trollhaunt Warrens - Game Thread

1356710

Posts

  • psolmspsolms Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    "Oh good," Siali says sarcastically, "you mean we'll get to fight more of these regenerating beasts?". She rolls her eyes and begins searching the area for anything of value. "We better get moving then, but first, lets make sure they dont have anything that might be useful to us."
    so is this encounter done then?
    also, perception check for anything of value/interest
    perception (1d20+5=6)
    or not.

    psolms on
  • DenadaDenada Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    After finishing up with the troll corpses, Edgil gathers up his blastpatch and stows it for later.

    "Trolls are done," Edgil says as he walks over to join Aziz and Siali. "Extra crispy, with a side of dead tra- Oh hello. How are you?" he says, noticing the man. He immediately wanders off, looking around for any signs of troll-based magic.
    Arcana check. (1d20+18=19) Guess I was due for one.

    "Wait a moment, did you say empire? Would this be an ancient empire?"

    Denada on
  • HorseshoeHorseshoe Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Aziz sighed. It was an all too familiar situation.

    "Yes, Edgil. It was a long time ago. It was called Vandar, and it was ruled by Trolls. If you'd been listening to me for once, you'd have known that already."

    Horseshoe on
    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
  • Foolish ChaosFoolish Chaos Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Combat now at an end, Jacks eyes fade back into their constant flickering.

    Overhearing the others, he walks nearer. "And so the trolls came back to reclaim their settlement?"

    Turning to the man: "Regardless, my friend is correct. The road to Moonstair is no longer safe if trolls now wander the lands. I suggest you head back the way you came before more wander upon our path.... But first let us pay our respects to the dead. " Jack lays a friendly hand on the man and points to his dead friend. "I suggest that we bury him here unless you want to carry him all the way back home."

    Jack begins hauling the trolls to the side of the road and preparing a grave for the dead rider.

    Re-Edit:
    Whoops, had a brain fart and thought that the corpse earlier was his friend. 1 sec...

    Ok, psloms post just confused me. I knew that there was a dead rider, just forgot that Jack was the only one who spotted him back on page one. Fixed now.

    Foolish Chaos on
  • HorseshoeHorseshoe Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    "That is indeed my concern, Jack. All things arise, exist for a time, and pass away... just as Io said to the Gods long ago. And there will always be those who seek to reclaim that which was. My own people seek to rebuild Arkhosia in other places of the world. It stands to reason that there would be others seeking to rebuild Vandar. And by our profession... by being at this place... at this time... we have an obligation to find out if this is the case."

    Horseshoe on
    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
  • InxInx Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    As his companions discuss the situation, Dardek has the man sit for a moment. He checks the man for wounds, and dresses them to the best of his ability.

    "I will give your friend Pelor's blessings in the afterlife, where he shall be honored."

    Dardek turns to his companions. "I hope we all have a nice supply of fire."

    Inx on
  • psolmspsolms Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    "Obligation or not; I'm sure we're going to have to deal with it anyway." Siali calls out as she searches the area and cleans her dagger.

    "We do," she says to Dardek, motioning to Edgil. "If we can set them up, Edgil here will put them down for good. Still, I am worried. Theres no sign of the troll mage that got away. We need to hurry and get out of here before he returns with more trolls then we can handle."

    Speaking now in elven, she says to Edgil
    "You dont mind that, do you friend?"
    Just as a point of interest, Siali will often speak in elven to address only Edgil, and sometimes in dwarven to address only Dardek. This is just a part of her sneaky personality, always trying to keep secrets, even if the information is not secret, or even sensitive.

    psolms on
  • InxInx Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Dardek nods. "I'd certainly rather face that beast on better terms than we just did. Preferably in a place where it won't get away so easily, and where invisibility will not avail it."

    Inx on
  • DenadaDenada Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    "I agree," Edgil says. "Troll mages are easily frightened. But they'll soon be back. And in greater numbers."

    To Siali, in elven:
    "No I don't mind. Burning them is easy enough it seems."

    Denada on
  • HorseshoeHorseshoe Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    "Let me know when you've all recovered your strength, and we'll go. Considering the circumstances I think we should be off to Moonstair quickly."

    Horseshoe on
    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
  • psolmspsolms Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Siali is ready to roll.. im not spending a surge cause i would waste about 5hp of the surge.
    since i have to work for the rest of the night, and have no access to a computer during that time, ive told dvg what my in combat actions will be if it comes to it.

    otherwise, im just going to go along with what the team is doing, being stealthy and hiding, keeping an eye out for danger, being suspicous of authority, and always trying to demand more money. you dont have to write it in, just imagine it. :P

    ill be back in about 10 hours.

    psolms on
  • DenadaDenada Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I'm also ready to go.

    Denada on
  • Foolish ChaosFoolish Chaos Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Jack finishes the grave, his mechanical hands working without stop, each stroke digging deep. While doing so, he reflects briefly upon the last battle, and allows himself to relax, regaining some composure.

    He lays the dead man inside the grave, and covers it, leaving the other to take a moment if he so wishes.
    Gonna spend 2 healing surges to get to full. And ready.

    Foolish Chaos on
  • InxInx Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Dardek prays over the dead man's grave, petitioning Pelor for his soul's protection.
    Spending 2 surges and then I'm ready to go!

    Inx on
  • DVGDVG Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    "I reckon I'll be much safer traveling with you lot to Moonstair than on the road home alone without even a horse for company. I know a handy shortcut. Derek thought it was too dangerous, but the road doesn't seem to be much better, does it?" We could be there within an hour if we are quick about it."
    This is retroactively trying to have him keep up with the conversation while I was away, he does of course pay his respects to his fallen friend before leaving.

    The trolls had nothing of value, and you suspect the Mage took anything of value Derek might have been carrying

    DVG on
    Diablo 3 - DVG#1857
  • psolmspsolms Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    and so we have taken a short rest right? and what about xp?

    psolms on
  • DVGDVG Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Yes, short rest completed, you each gain 400 xp for dispatching the trolls

    DVG on
    Diablo 3 - DVG#1857
  • Foolish ChaosFoolish Chaos Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    "You are probably right." Jack nods.

    "Where is this path? We should get moving."

    !ready

    Foolish Chaos on
  • DVGDVG Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    "I'll lead the way."
    If you'd like to go ahead and move on to the next bit, give me a !ready

    DVG on
    Diablo 3 - DVG#1857
  • HorseshoeHorseshoe Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    "For a man who has reason to be afeared of Trolls you seem quite willing to rush headlong into more. Siali, keep close at the front with him... we'll need your eyes and your intuition."

    Intuition. Siali smirked a bit inwardly... it's what Aziz called the 'suspicious nature' for which he chided her at times when he deemed it to be useful to the group.

    Horseshoe on
    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
  • DenadaDenada Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Edgil brings up the rear, jotting down notes and theories as they continue toward Moonstair.
    !ready

    Denada on
  • psolmspsolms Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Siali sighed and rolled her eyes. Babysitting? She took the lead with noticable exasperation. Why are we even bringing this liability along? She kept a keen eye on the road ahead, as well as the trees to either side, while stepping as softly as she could manage, ready to spring into hiding at the first sign of trouble.
    Siali is !Ready. i would have replied earlier but the auto-message feature apparantly stopped working for me...

    anyways, here is my terrible perception roll... (1d20+5=6).. and i thought +5 couldnt get any worse...

    psolms on
  • InxInx Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    "Careful, lad. The last thing any of us want is for you to join your friend."

    !ready

    Inx on
  • DVGDVG Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    The rider leads you off the main road and into the wilderness, telling you that the road winds a great deal out of the way, and simply cutting across here will get you to Moonstair much faster.

    You have been traveling for about half an hour when you get to a clearing surrounded by Trees, and before you you see three Eladrin females on the ground at the center of it, screaming for help. Two giant snakes are poised to strike, threatening to end their screaming at any moment.

    DVG on
    Diablo 3 - DVG#1857
  • DVGDVG Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    No time for a map now. I'll get it up after work today, but let's get initiative rolled unless you want to do something else.

    DVG on
    Diablo 3 - DVG#1857
  • DenadaDenada Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Initiative. (1d20+6=12)

    This smells like a trap. To that end:

    Perception. (1d20+10=27)

    Denada on
  • Foolish ChaosFoolish Chaos Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
  • DVGDVG Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Edgil
    Your perception tells you that these girls may be runaways, judging by their unkempt nature.

    Jack
    Your insight tells you: Uh oh! Snakes!

    DVG on
    Diablo 3 - DVG#1857
  • InxInx Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Initiative 1d20+6=12

    Insight on the whole situation 1d20+14=21

    Inx on
  • psolmspsolms Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    if the snakes have noticed us then
    Initiative! (1d20+11=27)
    otherwise, i'd like to
    Fleeting Ghost through the trees (1d20+20=34) to gain a surprise combat round.

    psolms on
  • DVGDVG Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    In the interest of expediting this, I rolled initiative for shoe.

    Round 1!

    Terrain Information
    Light green is normal grass, dark green is dense trees that can be used for cover, but count as difficult terrain.

    The snakes are aware of you, but haven't made any indication they are going to abandon their earlier prey.

    On Your Turn: Grab the Encoutner Information Block with QUOTE. Add any status effects and make any changes neccessary to hit points, defenses, etc. Be sure to put end conditions on status effects. Also, do me a favor and add your current HP and Defenses to the block in the same format used for the monsters. Please leave in the empty yellow color tags, so I can easily add in statuses as necessary.

    Encounter Information
    :arrow: Siali
    Aziz
    Crushgrip Constrictor - - HP 96/96 - AC 25; F 25, R 22, W 22, PP 22
    Dardek
    Edgil
    Jack
    DVG's Tricks!

    Map
    Encounter-2-Round-1a.png

    DVG on
    Diablo 3 - DVG#1857
  • psolmspsolms Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Seeing the snakes ready to strike, Siali quickly takes action. She runs to the treeline to get a better angle on one of the snakes and throws her dagger. The snake hisses in pain as the dagger tears open part of its flesh.

    "Come on Jack," she yells to her friends, "lets see you do better than that!"
    move action: fleeting ghost to B13 Stealth Check (1d20+20=26)
    standard: Trickster's Blade vs Snake A (1d20+20=29, 3d8=15, 2d4+4=6, 3d12=10) 21 Damage to snake A

    Encounter Information
    Siali - - HP 61/75 - AC 27(until next turn); F 18, R 22, W 20, PP 15
    :arrow:Aziz
    Crushgrip Constrictor A- - HP 75/96 - AC 25; F 25, R 22, W 22, PP 22
    Crushgrip Constrictor B- - HP 96/96 - AC 25; F 25, R 22, W 22, PP 22
    Dardek
    Edgil
    Jack
    DVG's Tricks!

    Up next: Aziz!

    psolms on
  • HorseshoeHorseshoe Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    "Don't just stand there, for Bahamut's sake!"

    Aziz (always one to lead by example) rushed forward, fueled by his conviction to save innocents. His blade and shield whirled as he made his way directly between the two huge serpents.
    Good heavens, there's ladies to defend!

    Aziz moves 5 squares to H10 (he can do so without provoking OA's if the snakes don't have reach).

    Then... Blade Flurry!

    Attack Roll vs. Constrictor B Blade Flurry (1st Attack) (1d20 17=32), hit, Damage (2d10 9=23)

    shift to H9

    Attack Roll vs. Constrictor A Blade Flurry (2nd Attack) (1d20 17=18) whoops!

    Total miss. Due to being a Sword Marshall, Aziz has a +2 to hit Constrictor A on his next attack roll.


    Siali - - HP 61/75 - AC 27(until next turn); F 18, R 22, W 20, PP 15
    Aziz - - HP 74/76 - AC 29; F 24, R 23, W 22
    :arrow:Crushgrip Constrictor A- - HP 75/96 - AC 25; F 25, R 22, W 22, PP 22
    :arrow:Crushgrip Constrictor B- - HP 73/96 - AC 25; F 25, R 22, W 22, PP 22
    Dardek
    Edgil
    Jack
    DVG's Tricks!

    Horseshoe on
    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
  • DVGDVG Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Mad and spitting, the Crushgrip Constrictors wheel around on Aziz, taking turns biting at him.
    Constrictor A vs. Aziz AC: 1d20+15=34, Hit! 1d10+6 damage = 8 Damage and Aziz is Grabbed (Escape Ends)
    Constrictor B vs. Aziz AC: 1d20+15=26, Miss!

    Encounter Information
    Siali - - HP 61/75 - AC 27(until next turn); F 18, R 22, W 20, PP 15
    Aziz - - HP 66/76 - Grabbed by Crushgrip Constrictor A (Escape Ends) - AC 29; F 24, R 23, W 22
    Crushgrip Constrictor A - - HP 75/96 - AC 25; F 25, R 22, W 22, PP 22
    Crushgrip Constrictor B - - HP 73/96 - AC 25; F 25, R 22, W 22, PP 22
    :arrow: Dardek
    Edgil
    Jack
    DVG's Tricks!

    DVG on
    Diablo 3 - DVG#1857
  • DVGDVG Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Map
    Encounter-2-Round-1b.png

    DVG on
    Diablo 3 - DVG#1857
  • DVGDVG Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    It's been 24 hours, Dardek is considered to be delaying. He may take his turn if he returns to the thread before his next turn.

    Next Up: Edgil!

    DVG on
    Diablo 3 - DVG#1857
  • DenadaDenada Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    "Snakes. Hmm." Edgil concentrates, closing his eyes and reaching his hands out toward the constrictors. Arcane formulas race through his mind, creating the image of dozens of other snakes swarming around the two in front of him. He sends the image to the two constrictors, but is only able to penetrate the mind of one of them. The snake hisses in pain, then begins to bob and weave against its imaginary attackers.
    Standard: Enemies Abound centered on H9 vs. Crushgrip Constrictor A, B (1d20+14=20, 1d20+14=27, 2d8+11=24) Miss!, Hit! Crushgrip Constrictor B takes 24 psychic damage, and the party can treat him as an ally for the purposes of flanking until the end of my next turn.

    Encounter Information
    Siali - - HP 61/75 - AC 27(until next turn); F 18, R 22, W 20, PP 15
    Aziz - - HP 66/76 - Grabbed by Crushgrip Constrictor A (Escape Ends) - AC 29; F 24, R 23, W 22
    Crushgrip Constrictor A - - HP 75/96 - AC 25; F 25, R 22, W 22, PP 22
    Crushgrip Constrictor B - Considered an ally for flanking (end of Edgil's next turn) - HP 49/96 - AC 25; F 25, R 22, W 22, PP 22
    Dardek
    Edgil
    :arrow: Jack
    DVG's Tricks!

    Denada on
  • Foolish ChaosFoolish Chaos Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Jack draws his blade from his sheath and takes up Siali's challenge.

    "RAAAWR!"

    He raises the blade high and runs straight at the closest one, bringing the fullblade down fast and hard on the disillusioned snake. The blade cuts deep and exits clean, the snake hissing in pain.
    Charge to I-11, attacking Snake B with Howling Strike: 1d20+19 = 29 Hit! Damage: 1d12+11; 3d6 = 28

    Encounter Information
    Siali - - HP 61/75 - AC 27(until next turn); F 18, R 22, W 20, PP 15
    Aziz - - HP 66/76 - Grabbed by Crushgrip Constrictor A (Escape Ends) - AC 29; F 24, R 23, W 22
    Crushgrip Constrictor A - - HP 75/96 - AC 25; F 25, R 22, W 22, PP 22
    Crushgrip Constrictor B - Considered an ally for flanking (end of Edgil's next turn), Bloodied - HP 21/96 - AC 25; F 25, R 22, W 22, PP 22
    Dardek
    Edgil
    Jack -- HP: 93/93 - AC 25; F 25; R 19; W 19
    :arrow: DVG's Tricks!

    Foolish Chaos on
  • InxInx Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Sorry for the delay, folks - yesterday was crazy. Just insert this turn wherever its convenient.

    "Trolls, then snakes! I wonder whats next!"

    Dardek runs towards one of the snakes, wielding his hammer above his head.
    Minor action: Divine Challenge on Snake B
    Move action - H15 to H10
    Standard Action - Shielding Smite against Snake B 1d20+12 = 28 Hit!
    Damage:2d10+7 = 27DAMN!
    Aziz gains a +4 power bonus to AC until the end of my next turn.

    Encounter Information
    Siali - - HP 61/75 - AC 27(until next turn); F 18, R 22, W 20, PP 15
    Aziz - - HP 66/76 - Grabbed by Crushgrip Constrictor A (Escape Ends) - AC 29; F 24, R 23, W 22
    Crushgrip Constrictor A - - HP 75/96 - AC 25; F 25, R 22, W 22, PP 22
    Crushgrip Constrictor B - Considered an ally for flanking (end of Edgil's next turn), Down - HP -6/96 - AC 25; F 25, R 22, W 22, PP 22
    Dardek HP: 84/86 AC 29 F 19 R 19 W 20
    Edgil
    Jack -- HP: 93/93 - AC 25; F 25; R 19; W 19
    :arrow: DVG's Tricks!

    Inx on
  • DVGDVG Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    The rider makes for cover as the flesh and clothes seem to rip themselves from the bodies of the Eladrin women, revealing them to be wilderness dwelling hags. Their ruse exposed, you feel an altogether unwholesome presence steel over you as they begin their assault.

    The fey creatures teleport, and then in unison scream in a terrifying way, like some sort of dark choir.
    Bog Hag A uses Fey Step and teleports to E14
    Bog Hag B uses Fey Step and teleports to L13.
    Bog Hag C uses Fey Step and teleports to F8

    All Party Members are currently effected by Unwholesome Presence. You gain half the normal amount of hit points from spending a healing surge.

    Bog Hag A uses Shriek of Pain on Aziz and Dardek.
    3d6+4 Thunder Damage = 16 Damage
    +8 vs. Aziz's Fortitude (24)=23, Miss!
    +8 vs. Dardek's Fortitude(19)=12, Miss!

    Bog Hag B uses Shriek of Pain on Edgil and Jack.
    3d6+4 Thunder Damage = 17 Damage
    +8 vs. Edgil's Fortitude(20)=24, Hit!
    +8 vs. Jack's Fortitude(25)=10, Miss!

    Bog Hag C uses Shriek of Pain on Edgil and Jack
    3d6+4 Thunder Damage = 17 Damage
    +8 vs. Edgil's Fortitude(20)=13, Miss!
    +8 vs. Jack's Fortitude(20),=28, Critical! 22 Damage

    Encounter Information
    :arrow:Siali - Unwholesome Presence - HP 61/75 - AC 27(until next turn); F 18, R 22, W 20, PP 15
    Aziz - Unwholesome Presence, Grabbed by Crushgrip Constrictor A (Escape Ends), +4 Bonus AC (Dardek's Turn Ends) - HP 66/76, AC 33; F 24, R 23, W 22
    Crushgrip Constrictor A - - HP 75/96 - AC 25; F 25, R 22, W 22, PP 22
    Dardek - Unwholesome Presence - HP: 84/86 AC 29 F 19 R 19 W 20
    Edgil - Unwholesome Presence - HP 47/64 AC 23; F 20, R 24, W 21
    Jack - Unwholesome Presence - HP: 71/93 - AC 25; F 25; R 19; W 19
    Bog Hag A - - HP 107/107 - AC 24; F 23, R 21, W 19, PP 17
    Bog Hag B - - HP 107/107 - AC 24; F 23, R 21, W 19, PP 17
    Bog Hag C - - HP 107/107 - AC 24; F 23, R 21, W 19, PP 17

    Map
    Encounter-2-Round-2a.png
    The white see-through area around each hag is their Unwholeseome Presence, which causes you to only get half the benefit when spending a healing surge.

    That was complicated, let me know if I fucked something up. And don't forget to update the encounter block on your turn.

    DVG on
    Diablo 3 - DVG#1857
Sign In or Register to comment.