As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Ratchet & Clank] Thread - Megecorp has your interests at heart.

• Mx. QuillMx. Quill I now prefer "Myr. Quill", actually... {They/Them}Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Hey look, gameplay!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YJJEvavQ8SA

Looks like the Negotiator and Buzz Blades return.

Mx. Quill on
  • yzzlthtzyzzlthtz Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    yalborap wrote: »
    The games rock beyond belief, and I would kill a man to see them become unhinged from Sony and do multi-console releases.

That's just silly. I don't even want to get into why.
    Just please don't kill anyone, it's not worth it.

yzzlthtz on
    .O
    * \m/
    U
    edited May 2009
    Hey look, gameplay!

Looks like the Negotiator and Buzz Blades return.

And what's that mouth thingy?
    And is that another Lombax side by side with Ratchet?
    Co-op? plz?
    These games are awesome. Shooting weird aliens with even weirder weapons is a joy.

yzzlthtz on
    .O
    * \m/
    U
  • OhtsamOhtsam Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    my favorite thing about these games was definitely the insomniac museums in 2 and 3
    Spent hours messing around with all the neat stuff in them

Ohtsam on
  • Mx. QuillMx. Quill I now prefer "Myr. Quill", actually... {They/Them}Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    The mouth thing is most likely a weapon. Seems like you charge it up to increase the potency of its belch shockwave.

The presence of the Lombax from the first trailer fighting alongside Ratchet means one of two things; either co-op is present, or he'll be controlled by the AI. Since Clank isn't present, it's probably footage of an early level, so we'd find out quickly as to which is true. Or, we can hope there's more info at E3.

Mx. Quill on
  • Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Looks like more of the same.

This is by no means a bad thing.

Mr_Grinch on
    Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
  • HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    now that Tools of Destruction is fucking FINALLY going greatest hits I guess it's about time I try my first Ratchet game. i hear extremely good things

Hardtarget on
    steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
    edited May 2009
    It was my first Ratchet game. I then dug out my PS2 and played through the ones before it. Then I bought Quest for Booty.

You're in for a treat :)

Mr_Grinch on
    edited May 2009
    ya my PS3 is BC so I was toying with getting R&C3 but I really want to try Tools of Destruction first

Hardtarget on
    steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Mr_Grinch wrote: »
    Looks like more of the same.

This is by no means a bad thing.

That's what I was thinking. It still looks good but I'm no more excited about it now than when they first announced it (though even then, I thought it was pretty obvious their 2009 title would be a new R&C). Probably would've been better off showcasing some new set pieces or the story but I guess that's what we'll get at E3 anyway.

Hardtarget: What kind of PS3 is it? Because I'm pretty sure the PS3's with hardware/software BC don't run the first three R&C's that well.

Unco-ordinated on
    Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
    edited May 2009
    mgs4 ps3 which means software BC

The software BC is extremely good but apparently there are gamers here and there that don't work great with it (haven't run into any yet though) and conceivably ratchet could be one of them. I'll have to check the ps3 site

Hardtarget on
    steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
    edited May 2009
    just checked http://www.us.playstation.com/Support/CompatibleStatus and for all the ratchet games and software emulation it shows "No major problems for this title." so the look good to go.

Hardtarget on
    steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Just make sure you don't have the 80GB model. They don't play nice with that one at all.

Glal on
    edited May 2009
    i have the msg4 60 gb version. didn't i just say that?

Hardtarget on
    steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
    edited May 2009
    No, you said MGS4 version. Given that I live in Europe that doesn't mean anything to me.

Glal on
  • Kay2Kay2 Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Co-op, please. Please god co-op.

(I love co-op so badly, and I don't know why.)

I'm not convinced that it's going to be in here, though. It looks like you have an AI helper sometimes (Ratchet's dad/ancestor/just a Lombax from before the purrrrging), and you get to play as him in levels that are similar to the grind-rails portions of the previous games, maybe. But I hope it's co-op.

Kay2 on
    edited May 2009
    I'd rather not coop. Certain games just DON'T need it and are absolutely fine as single players.

Mr_Grinch on
    edited May 2009
    I'm not sure how it could work. The game is far too hectic to tie two players to one camera, and I seriously doubt we'd keep any semblance of framerate in split screen.

Glal on
  • BlainBlain Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    You can co-op through Deadlocked. The split screens are pretty small to preserve the frame rate, and players aren't allowed to get too far away from each other, but it works.

Blain on
    edited May 2009
    Blain wrote: »
    You can co-op through Deadlocked. The split screens are pretty small to preserve the frame rate, and players aren't allowed to get too far away from each other, but it works.
    the ... aspect ratio? is preserved, too, so you see about as much as if you were playing single player, like in RE5 split screen.
    All the vehicles have turrets. And you often need to protect your buddy while he/she does stuff.
    It's super fun. Say what you will, Ratchet works very well as a co-op game.

yzzlthtz on
    .O
    * \m/
    U
  • HaikiraHaikira UKRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Hey, my friend just linked me this. It's probably a leak, but couldn't say for sure. Interviews with staff, and quite a lot of gameplay shown.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X2vx9ulX8Js&eurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ratchet-galaxy.com&fmt=18

Its not the same video posted a page back.

Haikira on
    steam_sig.png
    PSN:Hakira__
  • PredictivePredictive Registered User new member
    edited June 2009
    I've never played a Ratchet and Clank game, and this thread convinced me to go out today and pick up Ratchet and Clank, Going Commando, and Up Your Arsenal, all for $17 at GameStop. Ten minutes into R&C and I already love the story line. The graphics are surprisingly decent on an HDTV for such an old game. I should have just about enough time to finish the first eight games before A Crack in Time ships.

Predictive on
    Still playing my original copy of I.Q.
  • Dr SnofeldDr Snofeld Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Haikira wrote: »
    Hey, my friend just linked me this. It's probably a leak, but couldn't say for sure. Interviews with staff, and quite a lot of gameplay shown.

[video]

Its not the same video posted a page back.

Woo, return of Dr Nefarious! And by extention Lawrence.

Not that I have a PS3, I just like the sound of it anyway.

Dr Snofeld on
    l4d_sig.png
  • BakerIsBoredBakerIsBored Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I loved ToD, I picked up Deadlock the other day for cheap, haven't had time to start it up yet. Anyone think Quest for Booty is worth it?

BakerIsBored on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I loved ToD, I picked up Deadlock the other day for cheap, haven't had time to start it up yet. Anyone think Quest for Booty is worth it?

I grabbed it on release, and I finished it in about 4-5 hours. It's good as far as downloadable games go, but as it's so short, the weapon upgrades are limited to about 4 upgrades per weapon. So, depends on what you liked the most - the platforming and general combat (if you did, you'll love Quest for Booty) or the weapon upgrades and how over the top they become (if you did, not so much).

-Loki- on
  • Zealous OneZealous One Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Predictive wrote: »
    I've never played a Ratchet and Clank game, and this thread convinced me to go out today and pick up Ratchet and Clank, Going Commando, and Up Your Arsenal, all for $17 at GameStop. Ten minutes into R&C and I already love the story line. The graphics are surprisingly decent on an HDTV for such an old game. I should have just about enough time to finish the first eight games before A Crack in Time ships.

Nice buy! Make sure you keep playing through the games in order. You get some nice bonuses in the later games if you have save data from the previous ones, and it really helps you appreciate how the weapon/health system evolves through the series, among other things. There's not too much important storyline stuff between games, but they definitely throw a few nods to the earlier games here and there.

I still haven't played through anything past Deadlocked, so I'll probably get caught up on the latest offerings myself once classes end. I've already heard wonderful things about ToD, but does anyone have opinions on the PSP games?

Zealous One on
    sig.gif
  • jclastjclast Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Hardtarget wrote: »
    ya my PS3 is BC so I was toying with getting R&C3 but I really want to try Tools of Destruction first
    Much as I love the PS2 games you probably shouldn't go back to them after ToD. Each game builds on the previous titles, and you'll miss things like weapon upgrades, strafing, etc..

jclast on
    camo_sig2.png
  • -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I still haven't played through anything past Deadlocked, so I'll probably get caught up on the latest offerings myself once classes end. I've already heard wonderful things about ToD, but does anyone have opinions on the PSP games?

Size Matters was good fun, though it was missing something. It's a good fun action/platformer, but fell just short of being really great. It's definitely worth playing, and it's really cheap these days. Secret Agent Clank... That's a mixed bag. Overall I had a good amount of fun with it, but man is it all over the place. The bits where you are Clank are awesome, the dialog is hilarious and has some great parodies (the Lost lucky numbers had me cackling on the train).

The Gadgebot sequences are okay, but the action is almost non existent and the platforming is pretty simple. The Quark bits range from simple and funny (like, the first mission as him) to simply irritating (the rest). The Ratchet bits are just you as Ratchet in a big round room, shooting at enemies with weapons you bought as Clank to send to Ratchet to use in jail (which isn't much. I found bolts to be pretty scarce). Most of the time I just found myself thinking 'stop making me play as these guys, I just want to do more Clank-fu'.

That said, I had a lot of fun with it. They aren't the best games in the series (or on the platform) but they are really fun.

-Loki- on
  • MarioGMarioG Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Man, I remember the Tools of Destruction tv spot is what old me on my PS3. This series is so full of life and the characters are just great. It is a truly enriching experience.

MarioG on
    Kay wrote:
    Mario, if Slenderman had a face, I would punch him in it.

Hey, I have a blog! (Actually being updated again!)

3DS: 0860-3240-2604
    edited June 2009
    jclast wrote: »
    Hardtarget wrote: »
    Much as I love the PS2 games you probably shouldn't go back to them after ToD. Each game builds on the previous titles, and you'll miss things like weapon upgrades, strafing, etc..

ya that's why I was thinking only R&C3 and even then I probably never will.

Hardtarget on
    steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
    edited June 2009
    -Loki- wrote: »
    Size Matters was good fun, though it was missing something. It's a good fun action/platformer, but fell just short of being really great. It's definitely worth playing, and it's really cheap these days. Secret Agent Clank... That's a mixed bag.
    Yeah, this. My problems with Size Matters were that the weapons weren't as good and there were still some control issues due to PSP's more limited control scheme. Also, it has a really stupid checkpoint system where it'll bring you back to a checkpoint, but without the ammo you had when you first got there. Oh, did you die because you ran out of ammo? Well, I hope you enjoy replaying the section with the wrench over and over and over until you finally make it.
    All that said, decent game.
    Secret Agent Clank... meh. Had some good parts, the story was funny, but I ended up dumping the game some 75% through. Too many wonky design issues, and honestly, playing Clank is just not nearly as much fun as playing Ratchet.

Glal on
  • JAEFJAEF Unstoppably Bald Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I can never understand the games where they split up a combo team. R&C, J&D, luckily they never pulled anything like that with Banjo Kazooie if I recall..

You can't give me the full spectrum and cut half of the rug out from under me. Who do you think you are?

JAEF on
    edited June 2009
    Daxter is a fine game. Framerate issues aside.

Glal on
    edited June 2009
    Glal wrote: »

It was. I avoided it for the longest time, then because of Chains of Olympus, I gave it a shot. One of the best games for the system, IMO.

-Loki- on
  • DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Glal wrote: »

It was. I avoided it for the longest time, then because of Chains of Olympus, I gave it a shot. One of the best games for the system, IMO.

I don't have a PSP, so I never played Daxter. Is it more like Jak & Daxter, or Jak 2?

Dirty on
    edited June 2009
    I'd say it's like the first game, except with far less arbitrary shit to collect. I mean, you still collect stuff, it's just not "finish the minigame to get one orb, and you need 60 orbs to unlock section A, and you need to unlock 5 sections to clear the area".

Glal on
  • DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    As arbitrary as the collecting was, I freakin' loved it. J&D is one of the few games I've ever 100%'d. I couldn't get into Jak 2 for some reason, and put it down early on. I'm hoping the new J&D for PSP is more like the original as well.

I'll stop talking Jak in the Ratchet thread now.

Dirty on
  • jclastjclast Registered User regular
    edited June 2009

Size Matters was good fun, though it was missing something. It's a good fun action/platformer, but fell just short of being really great. It's definitely worth playing, and it's really cheap these days. Secret Agent Clank... That's a mixed bag. Overall I had a good amount of fun with it, but man is it all over the place. The bits where you are Clank are awesome, the dialog is hilarious and has some great parodies (the Lost lucky numbers had me cackling on the train).

The Gadgebot sequences are okay, but the action is almost non existent and the platforming is pretty simple. The Quark bits range from simple and funny (like, the first mission as him) to simply irritating (the rest). The Ratchet bits are just you as Ratchet in a big round room, shooting at enemies with weapons you bought as Clank to send to Ratchet to use in jail (which isn't much. I found bolts to be pretty scarce). Most of the time I just found myself thinking 'stop making me play as these guys, I just want to do more Clank-fu'.

That said, I had a lot of fun with it. They aren't the best games in the series (or on the platform) but they are really fun.

I don't know how far along I was when I quit Size Matters. I was at some king of combine/harvester/airplane boss. I keep thinking about picking it (and Secret Agent Clank maybe) for PS2 just so that I can (hopefully) have camera control on the right stick.

jclast on
    camo_sig2.png
    edited June 2009
    Are the PS2 ports made using the PS2 series' assets?

Glal on
  • MarioGMarioG Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Did you guys see the IGN E3 interview with one of the devs from Insomniac? Apparently, time is not only an important part of the story but also a part of gameplay itself.

MarioG on
    Kay wrote:
    Mario, if Slenderman had a face, I would punch him in it.

Hey, I have a blog! (Actually being updated again!)

3DS: 0860-3240-2604