As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Shoulda put a ring of protection +1 on it. (Table top games)

• Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Antimatter wrote: »
    Pony wrote: »
    Well, with tabletop RPGs, especially when you aren't playing online and are actually sitting face to face across the table from someone, you can see parts of a person you didn't otherwise know existed.

And some of those parts are ugly.

I mean, I'm not saying that just because you play a character who is selfish, dickish, or outright evil is that necessarily a commentary on you as a person.

But, that said, it can be disturbing sometimes to see the glee and seamless transition a person makes if they play a character who is particularly unpleasant.

It's why I prefer people not to play evil-aligned, sadistic, or sociopathically self-absorbed characters. Not only are these types of characters typically disruptive to the group as a whole (especially if they're the only evil dude in the group) but maaaaan... there is just a point where playing a real terrible person that accurately makes everyone at the table uncomfortable and tells me some not-so-nice things about who you might be, deep down.

I mean, sometimes RPGs can serve a somewhat therapeutic function, in a way, allowing a person to express mindsets or desires they acknowledge as unacceptable to do in reality. Within the context of the game allows you to explore them safely and without people necessarily casting a suspicious eye on you.

But, there's just a level where that shit becomes really uncomfortable and you start looking at the person in a really negative light.

my friend mark played a cultist who kidnapped a drunk woman and eviscerated her, and then harvested her organs for some dark ritual.

our paladin was not pleased. Drowned him in a dirty puddle of water on the street as i recall.

you've just given me an idea

glee!
    bear in mind, I may not use it, but it's a thought

Antimatter on
  • Options
    Ness445Ness445 Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    evisceration or puddle drowning?

Ness445 on
    4445.gif
  • Options
    LockoutLockout I am still searching Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Pony wrote: »
    Well, with tabletop RPGs, especially when you aren't playing online and are actually sitting face to face across the table from someone, you can see parts of a person you didn't otherwise know existed.

And some of those parts are ugly.

I mean, I'm not saying that just because you play a character who is selfish, dickish, or outright evil is that necessarily a commentary on you as a person.

But, that said, it can be disturbing sometimes to see the glee and seamless transition a person makes if they play a character who is particularly unpleasant.

It's why I prefer people not to play evil-aligned, sadistic, or sociopathically self-absorbed characters. Not only are these types of characters typically disruptive to the group as a whole (especially if they're the only evil dude in the group) but maaaaan... there is just a point where playing a real terrible person that accurately makes everyone at the table uncomfortable and tells me some not-so-nice things about who you might be, deep down.

I mean, sometimes RPGs can serve a somewhat therapeutic function, in a way, allowing a person to express mindsets or desires they acknowledge as unacceptable to do in reality. Within the context of the game allows you to explore them safely and without people necessarily casting a suspicious eye on you.

But, there's just a level where that shit becomes really uncomfortable and you start looking at the person in a really negative light.

my friend mark played a cultist who kidnapped a drunk woman and eviscerated her, and then harvested her organs for some dark ritual.

our paladin was not pleased. Drowned him in a dirty puddle of water on the street as i recall.

you've just given me an idea

glee!

As one of the two remaining evil people in Glossolalia, I'm not pleased by this.

Lockout on
    f24GSaF.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    ahahahaha

Antimatter on
  • Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I, as the true neutral half-orc barbarian of the party, was pretty fucking stunned that our goody-goody type paladin dude would plant booted foot on the back of, essentially, a weakling magic user's head and straight up hold his head down in a puddle of god-knows what until he was dead.

Metzger Meister on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    I, as the true neutral half-orc barbarian of the party, was pretty fucking stunned that our goody-goody type paladin dude would plant booted foot on the back of, essentially, a weakling magic user's head and straight up hold his head down in a puddle of god-knows what until he was dead.

I just need a Hydro Implant

Antimatter on
  • Options
    DE?ADDE?AD Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I don't think any of the characters I've played have ever actually been evil. Looking back, though, all of the entertaining ones have been at least a little unhinged.

DE?AD on
  • Options
    As7As7 Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I think if I were DMing, hypothetically, I would only let my players play evil characters under controlled circumstances. They'd have to follow some guidelines or they'd all have to be an evil group of baddies bent on stopping the good guys as a team or something.

As7 on
    XBOX Live: Arsenic7
    Secret Satan
  • Options
    Ness445Ness445 Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    DE?AD wrote: »
    I don't think any of the characters I've played have ever actually been evil. Looking back, though, all of the entertaining ones have been at least a little unhinged.
    almost all of my characters have turned out to be pretty much true-neutral.

Ness445 on
    4445.gif
  • Options
    LockoutLockout I am still searching Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Locth isn't one of those weird asshole evil characters is he?

I'm really sorry if he is.

Lockout on
    f24GSaF.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Lockout wrote: »
    Locth isn't one of those weird asshole evil characters is he?

I'm really sorry if he is.

he's better now that he's gotten some development

Antimatter on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    I think everyone in the Glossolalia thing is amoral enough that it doesn't really matter.

I mean, look at Gary's infamous margarita parties.

DE?AD on
  • Options
    MarshmallowMarshmallow Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I usually try and make a character who will happily get along with the other characters with a minimum of fuss or disruption.

For verisimilitude I kinda like throwing in a ruling emotion that can act as a hamartia of sorts.

EDIT: The margarita party was the most cruelly devious thing I've ever witnessed.

Marshmallow on
  • Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I don't like playing evil characters. My current character is kind of a dick, but not really evil.

Moriveth on
  • Options
    Darth WaiterDarth Waiter Elrond Hubbard Mordor XenuRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I think I'm going to run my pure spellslinger as an immoral prick that only works with a party because it furthers his own ends. He won't be evil per se, but he will definitely be that guy who reminds the party what side their bread is buttered on concerning magic. He'll also be the one to never, ever put himself in harm's way for the good of anyone unless he's got something to lose.

I can't wait to run this guy.

Darth Waiter on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Vincentia "Mysticalis" is Unaligned and kind of a fraud, and fame and he IS fortune mad but I thought him up with the idea that he'd develop into a legitimate hero over time.

As7 on
    Secret Satan
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    I think the closest I've ever gotten to playing an evil character were:

A. An AI in a post-apocalyptic sandbox game that wanted to cyborg all of humanity in a ridiculously circuitous grab for power that involved a lot of transhumanist propaganda and theatrical speeches.

B. A mute sorcerer girl in a setting where sorcerers were hunted and exterminated, turned remarkably bitter and violent. She gleefully made an orc think it was burning to death when it finally turned out she would have to use her powers.

DE?AD on
  • Options
    RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited April 2009
    As7 wrote: »
    I run a game for Callius and Natasha, and they're fine, as I expected them to be, but I know them both well enough to know they aren't the sort that would cause a problem. My wife wanted to play and I straight said no, because I don't want that relationship to be affected by the fact that I'm the DM and she's just another player instead of my wife when I pick up my books. I love her and would love to play with her and include her, but not if I'm in any position of decision making or power over her. I don't need those sorts of dynamics going on.

So you'd play with her as a fellow player? I can see that. If people want to make our game a regular thing I'm sure we could work out a DM rotation of some sort. Speaking of, is everyone up for this Sunday?
    Waiting on word from Cal, but things are up in the air right now as to whether he'll have time. And there's a chance I'll be taking off for a short road trip, but I'll wait until after the game if it is on.

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
  • Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Evil is fine, so long as it's the type of evil that can get along with others. I've run a halfling-mafioso type, who understood the importance of 'family' and belonging, and a highly intelligent sociopath whose morality and sense of justice was roughly analogous to that of the 'Mercykillers' from Planescape.

I also DM a regular group that includes my wife. This rarely, if ever, leads to any problems, at least that I can see. In fact, knowing one of my players as well as I know her, and her motivations and decision making processes, I actually think there are times it leads to a better game.

Fishman on
    X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Fishman! Are you back from Japan already?

Also, Arcane Power came out today. It is seriously tempting to go and buy it.

Moriveth on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    I run a game for Callius and Natasha, and they're fine, as I expected them to be, but I know them both well enough to know they aren't the sort that would cause a problem. My wife wanted to play and I straight said no, because I don't want that relationship to be affected by the fact that I'm the DM and she's just another player instead of my wife when I pick up my books. I love her and would love to play with her and include her, but not if I'm in any position of decision making or power over her. I don't need those sorts of dynamics going on.

So you'd play with her as a fellow player? I can see that. If people want to make our game a regular thing I'm sure we could work out a DM rotation of some sort. Speaking of, is everyone up for this Sunday?
    Waiting on word from Cal, but things are up in the air right now as to whether he'll have time. And there's a chance I'll be taking off for a short road trip, but I'll wait until after the game if it is on.

Alright, hope Cal works it out because I really want to clobber some goblins.

As7 on
    Secret Satan
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Moriveth wrote: »

Anything particularly great in it? Obviously there is the whole familiar thing.

As7 on
    Secret Satan
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Moriveth wrote: »

Anything particularly great in it? Obviously there is the whole familiar thing.

Well, I play a Warlock, so I'm interested in the new powers as well as whatever paragon paths and epic destinies they've introduced.

And familiars look awesome as well.

Moriveth on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    I picked arcane power up along with martial power earlier today.

I really, really, really like the familiar feat. It's almost like a multiclass feat, you get a skill bonus, a neat little power, and also a minion to send out scouting who can't die, or who at least won't stay dead longer than 5 minutes.

Marshmallow on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    The thing I think I like best about the familiar feat is that it's a feat.

Meaning everyone won't have one.

As7 on
    Secret Satan
  • Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Yeah, I got back a couple days ago. Still, all good fun. I'm about to head out for lunch to see if i can find the PHBII and a copy of Okami for wii.

Been seriously busy unpacking, moving furniture ('cause we had some rooms painted while we were away), catching up on world/local/friends/internet events, changing project teams at work (because I am apparently in high demand) and now I have to prep a kobold warren before tomorrow nights game.

Anyone able to think of a good mount for kobold in 4e? They used to use Dire weasels in 3.5, but so far there's no direct analogue for that in 4ed. I guess I could use Riding Lizards or Rage Drakes from the Adventurers Vault, but it just seems like so much scaly-type overkill.

Fishman on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    I think a familiar would be suited to my character.

I mean, a little servant who can't die for him to bark orders at? Hell yeah.

Moriveth on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Fishman wrote: »
    Anyone able to think of a good mount for kobold in 4e? They used to use Dire weasels in 3.5, but so far there's no direct analogue for that in 4ed. I guess I could use Riding Lizards or Rage Drakes from the Adventurers Vault, but it just seems like so much scaly-type overkill.

I can't think of anything unintelligent, but what about a Kobold riding on an ogre's back?

Master Blaster!

Actually a Kobold in some kind of specially-made seat for riding an ooze of some kind would be rad.

Moriveth on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    I think I need an outlet for all my DnD related thoughts. One that won't take up too much of my time but will keep them occupied between real games.

As7 on
    Secret Satan
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    The rat familiar is one of my current favorites, it can make thievery checks at it's owner's bonus +2. I have a delightful mental picture of a rogue/wizard multiclass handing their familiar different thief's tools while it patiently works at unlocking a door, trying to teach it's owner how to do it properly.

Marshmallow on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    I really need to work on the adventure I'm going to run for my group once Dubh finishes up his storyline.

I think I may use some of my tax return money to buy Open Grave, Arcane Power, Martial Power, and the Manual of The Planes.

Moriveth on
  • Options
    Darth WaiterDarth Waiter Elrond Hubbard Mordor XenuRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I think I need an outlet for all my DnD related thoughts. One that won't take up too much of my time but will keep them occupied between real games.

I keep a pocket journal in my back left pocket opposite my wallet; it's quick, easy, and I have a 50/50 chance of not getting my pocket picked.

Darth Waiter on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    PHB2 purchased! Couldn't find Okami, though. hrmm, I think I saw it out at the mall by my parents place, I should try there.

Arcane power wasn't in the store yet, either. Sometimes it takes longer for splatbooks to cross the ocean, so I wasn't surprised.

Fishman on
  • Options
    edited April 2009

B. A mute sorcerer girl in a setting where sorcerers were hunted and exterminated, turned remarkably bitter and violent. She gleefully made an orc think it was burning to death when it finally turned out she would have to use her powers.

de... Delirium?

Antimatter on
  • Options
    AbracadanielAbracadaniel Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I think I'm going to run my pure spellslinger as an immoral prick that only works with a party because it furthers his own ends. He won't be evil per se, but he will definitely be that guy who reminds the party what side their bread is buttered on concerning magic. He'll also be the one to never, ever put himself in harm's way for the good of anyone unless he's got something to lose.

Sounds like a perfect chance to play a Deva, with the whole furthers his own ends, long-term goals thing.

Abracadaniel on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    The immoral bit might hurt him, I can't see Devas being anything worse than inscrutable in their dealings. Unless they didn't mind coming back as a Rakasha.

Marshmallow on
  • Options
    edited April 2009

de... Delirium?

I don't know... I can only think of one fictional character named Delirium, and that doesn't really match up.

DE?AD on
  • Options
    TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Smart Hero wrote: »

Sounds like a perfect chance to play a Deva, with the whole furthers his own ends, long-term goals thing.

Yeah that doesn't sound anything like a Deva. Typical Deva are, you know, kind, self-sacrificing, that sort of thing. Specifically, according to the article from Monday, they would never let a friend die without at least offering to take his place. Remember, they reincarnate and know it, so they're well aware that death isn't the end for them like it would be for anyone they know.

The Deva I'm playing won't kill a sentient creature unless absolutely necessary. That may be a little extreme, but it's more in line with typical Deva attitude.

Terrendos on
  • Options
    Meta T. DustMeta T. Dust Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    The rat familiar is one of my current favorites, it can make thievery checks at it's owner's bonus +2. I have a delightful mental picture of a rogue/wizard multiclass handing their familiar different thief's tools while it patiently works at unlocking a door, trying to teach it's owner how to do it properly.

Stop thinking about me

Meta T. Dust on
    motherfuckingwar.png
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Fucking egotistical prat.

Marshmallow on
This discussion has been closed.