As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[EverQuest] 19 years of misery and memories.

• Options
    tido14tido14 Registered User regular
    Doooo it! It's awesome.

• Options
    Anon the FelonAnon the Felon In bat country.Registered User regular
    Probably will, I'm curious about seeing up to play on my phone via remote desktop. Not sure about p1999. I kind of want some of the luxuries.

• Options
    gjaustingjaustin Registered User regular
    I took a look at the p1999 stuff and it looks interesting. Though I lack the proper client edition to play anyway, despite having the original EQ, Kunark, and Velious discs available.

Their rules regarding trains are kind of silly too.

• Options
    Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    I played on p99 for awhile. Well till I got a shaman to the 20s. So a good while ;). I never had an issue with the players and even got a spear an shield thrown my way by some passerby. Nothing great. The old world spear out of the lake on the eastern continent that I cant remember for some reason... deepwater I think. And that +cha worthless shield. I rocked those so hard. All I did was throw out the occasional heal, poke things in the face and throw out slows. Oh and SoW bitches. Ahhh just like old times.

Everquest may have had the same elements of the population of modern MMOs but the big thing about being apart of that population is that you were known. And dealt with when possible ;) I was a shaman so I never tried to camp the big items like Yaks, FBSSs, Manastone, SoW boots etc. I just went around and enjoyed the game. Although I was a little older than you guys when it came out.

• Options
    Jubal77 wrote: »
    I played on p99 for awhile. Well till I got a shaman to the 20s. So a good while ;). I never had an issue with the players and even got a spear an shield thrown my way by some passerby. Nothing great. The old world spear out of the lake on the eastern continent that I cant remember for some reason... deepwater I think. And that +cha worthless shield. I rocked those so hard. All I did was throw out the occasional heal, poke things in the face and throw out slows. Oh and SoW bitches. Ahhh just like old times.

Everquest may have had the same elements of the population of modern MMOs but the big thing about being apart of that population is that you were known. And dealt with when possible ;) I was a shaman so I never tried to camp the big items like Yaks, FBSSs, Manastone, SoW boots etc. I just went around and enjoyed the game. Although I was a little older than you guys when it came out.

This is a really odd assumption, might want to steer clear of that kind of stuff.

I think I'm going to try the modern Everquest. I'm just a little to old to play the "SUPER HARDCORE" experience these days. Since it's Free to Play (and reading over the shop/systems... You can literally play for free, you can trade plat/items for gold subscription status!), would anyone else like to give it a go in a "super casual" sense?

• Options

This is a really odd assumption, might want to steer clear of that kind of stuff.

I think I'm going to try the modern Everquest. I'm just a little to old to play the "SUPER HARDCORE" experience these days. Since it's Free to Play (and reading over the shop/systems... You can literally play for free, you can trade plat/items for gold subscription status!), would anyone else like to give it a go in a "super casual" sense?

I played a few (4?) years ago when they temporarily gave everyone with an old account a free month.

So I have a 59 Bard on Xegony - Druzzil Ro. I was thinking of running around killing random things for a while, since it's free. Soloing in Plane of Fear was kind of fun :)

• Options

Oh I wasnt meaning anything by it. It was just stated by several of the posters prior that they were 12 or 15 when they started EQ at release. I was 20ish so yeah ;)

• Options
    badpoetbadpoet Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    I've been playing for awhile after taking about 8 years off (started a few weeks after servers went up on Prexus, moved to Firiona Vie when that opened). It's been great. Currently, I'm doing some boxing on Test (free gold) and paying for one gold account. A friend talked me into moving over there, and then left :( Even so, I've managed to find and start (people spend all their time LFG when they really should be STARTING a group) groups on a regular basis.

When I came back I had a 64 SK. He's now 90 with about 2800 AA. Also have a 84 Paladin (1350 AA), 82 Druid (900 AA), and a newly created box 75 Bard (like 300 AA) that I box with. The Paladin is really fun. I was grouping up in Ashengate, we dropped the healer merc and I healed and tanked (had to stop for breathers every 15 mins or so). Nothing like getting your quick heal off as you're down to 10 percent and saving yourself, then getting your group heal off to save your overnuking wizard and put you back at 100 percent health.

I have Journeyman 5 mercs on my SK, but not on the others. And, I've found that in the 80s, the healer in particular is a dreadful mana waster. They should just be popping their delayed heal and letting you get down until it pops, but they blow a ton of mana on you then their delayed heal hits you for 15K when you're at 97 percent health. With the Journeyman 5, that's not as big of an issue because their mana pool is a lot bigger, but with J1 it's awful.

Conversely, people have been reticent to have my Druid heal, which is stupid to me. He's incredibly efficient (right now almost all his AA are in heals and aggro reduction with some DoT increasers, as well), and he can easily group heal, especially where we were (Beza). I was in a group where we were waiting for the stupid merc healer to med up and I was like, "I'll heal" and people were "let's just wait." My DPS wasn't a huge factor in the group, so I'm really not sure why we didn't pop a DPS merc (wizard or rogue) and just have me heal. I ended up leaving it after not too long.

Tips for those coming back:

Work on AA's on old content with a Merc until you get the feel for the game back. Then see if you can group. It's still the most fun. Playing an MMO by yourself is torture in my book.

Try out Test. It's a free gold subscription, which gives you J1 mercs. Yes, the bazaar is dead. But, people are giving away stuff in General Chat all the time (myself included). If you have a character on another server you want to use, log into them and use the /testcopy function. Even free accounts can log back in to their old characters (except on the Gold only progression servers). Remember though, any progress you make on Test stays on Test. So, if you want a really high population server or have old friends on your old server, Test probably isn't for you.

When you hit M, it brings up the map. There's a find key on the bottom that is extremely helpful finding merchants. Also, in the top right there's a zone guide button. You can click that to A) see what level zones are and B) find out how to get there from where you are.

If you aren't in a guild and are a gold member, you can start your own using ALT-G to give you access to the Standard Guild Hall off the Guild Lobby (you can find the entrance to the Lobby in Plane of Knowledge). This gives you a few things. Easy access to a bank, easy access to a parcel vendor (people that give away items often parcel them to you), and easy access to a teleport pad. You interact with the male gnome vendor in the window and buy the item that corresponds to the zone you want to go. Hand him the stone, then head to the glowing cavern thing next to him to be whisked away.

Find a guild that doesn't mind newcomers. Some people get tired of the same questions over and over. Others just want to help. Find a guild that wants to help (not necessarily by giving Powerlevels or items, but by giving advice).

Don't Powerlevel until you figure out your classes role and how your abilities and spells work. Figure out how the game works before you miss a ton of content in the rush to get to 100.

Groups can be hard to find at lower levels. People will often say, "JUST USE A MERC" if you go looking for a group before your 70s. Don't listen to them. Yes, a Tank merc will basically help any class level fast pre-70, but there are people out there that don't want to play the game solo. And, yes, there are idiots out there that will bitch about you looking for a group. Remember, again, though, there's nothing stopping you from STARTING a group. It's often your best opportunity to get one.

badpoet on
  • Options
    REG RyskREG Rysk Lord Rageface Rageington The Exploding ManRegistered User regular
    Every time I see posts in here about P1999 I think that I would love to have a group of 5-10 people to static play with, but damn, it was such a time sink that I can't really say I can focus on doing it.

• Options
    Which is why I think trying out the current Everquest would be ideal. They've done some pretty amazing quality of life stuff. While not all of it is good, it's a much better fit for those of us with other responsibilities, and a desire to jump in and have fun for a bit instead of spending an hour just running to the fun.

I don't know, I'm getting a little excited as this downloads.

The ability to run a merc, and have a more solo friendly experience, is really getting me all a twitter. EQ was one of my favorite MMO's, but I'm a lone wolf player, and it wasn't very friendly to that play style.

• Options
    Catastrophe_XXVICatastrophe_XXVI Registered User regular
    I'll give it a shot this week or weekend. My EQ druid is still my favorite character I've ever played.

PSN ID: Catastrophe_xxvi
    3DS FC: 5086-1134-6451
    Shiny Code: 3837
  • Options
    BullioBullio Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    Which is why I think trying out the current Everquest would be ideal. They've done some pretty amazing quality of life stuff. While not all of it is good, it's a much better fit for those of us with other responsibilities, and a desire to jump in and have fun for a bit instead of spending an hour just running to the fun.

The ability to run a merc, and have a more solo friendly experience, is really getting me all a twitter. EQ was one of my favorite MMO's, but I'm a lone wolf player, and it wasn't very friendly to that play style.

Is what kept me going for the about 3 months when I picked it back up a few months ago. Old world EQ is my bag, and with a merc and little bit of Defiant gear its all pretty easy to do at even level except for the big raid stuff like Trak or the 10th Coldain Ring event. But, oh man, I had so much fun going around killing stuff I'd always wanted to fight and getting items I'd always wanted (Fungi, some of the illusion masks) that I never had the chance to experience during my EQ career. Furthest I ever made it was a 51 rogue, but I always dreamed of going to places like Sleeper's Tomb or beyond the entrance of Seb. Finally seeing all those higher level zones, getting my epic, filling my bags with clicky masks (though I didn't get the Wood Elf or High Elf masks, but I did come pretty close to killing Stanos solo)...when I cancelled my gold sub last month I felt like I'd finally closed out my EQ career in a satisfying manner instead of the bitter way I'd ended it 10 years ago. Not finishing the rogue epic stuck with me for all those years, and I can't really explain why. Just one of those things, I guess.

Bullio on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    MadpoetMadpoet Registered User regular
    This leather armor would be great for my alt. Let me just run both characters to an out of the way spot. Make sure nobody saw me. Drop it on the ground. Log out and back and... voila, item traded!

Because making friends I could trust was too much work.

I look back at my time in EQ1 fondly, which is weird because running a bard with my left hand and a cleric with my right is not indicative of good game design.

• Options
    Bullio wrote: »

Is what kept me going for the about 3 months when I picked it back up a few months ago. Old world EQ is my bag, and with a merc and little bit of Defiant gear its all pretty easy to do at even level except for the big raid stuff like Trak or the 10th Coldain Ring event. But, oh man, I had so much fun going around killing stuff I'd always wanted to fight and getting items I'd always wanted (Fungi, some of the illusion masks) that I never had the chance to experience during my EQ career. Furthest I ever made it was a 51 rogue, but I always dreamed of going to places like Sleeper's Tomb or beyond the entrance of Seb. Finally seeing all those higher level zones, getting my epic, filling my bags with clicky masks (though I didn't get the Wood Elf or High Elf masks, but I did come pretty close to killing Stanos solo)...when I cancelled my gold sub last month I felt like I'd finally closed out my EQ career in a satisfying manner instead of the bitter way I'd ended it 10 years ago. Not finishing the rogue epic stuck with me for all those years, and I can't really explain why. Just one of those things, I guess.

That's almost exactly what I did. I had never really gotten high enough to explore Kunark or Velious, so having the chance to do those was great.

Some of the stuff I'm glad I accomplished:
    -Cleared Mistmoore and got a Lute of the Howler

-Got a Dark Elf mask and raised my faction so I could explore (My character's backstory involved wanting revenge against Dark Elves, so I needed to infiltrate Neriak)

-Kill Sir Lucan D'Lere (The backstory of my Wood Elf Bard was that he was "raised by the Sentries of Marr", so he worshiped Erollisi Marr and opposed the Freeport Miltia

-Saw Nagafen and Lady Vox

-Visited the Planes of Fear and Hate (and got to run from Cazic-Thule)

-Explored Sanctus Seru and Katta Castellum

• Options
    I actually want to duo through some Dungeons of Norrath content, that was the expansion where I left the game. Regardless, with housing, and mercs, and their easy cash shop... I'm feeling like this will be my new casual game.

With the research I've done, I'm kind of leaning that this is the EQ I want now. Something casual, where I can see all those landmarks again, play the game I enjoy without feeling a need to complete it. It might actually be fun.

• Options
    REG RyskREG Rysk Lord Rageface Rageington The Exploding ManRegistered User regular
    So many memories...why do I think about doing this?

I'm picturing a P1999 druid so I don't have to spend too stupid long running, or at least I do it with SoW and can kite/solo.

• Options
    edited May 2013
    Aren't druids really popular on p1999 because of that? When I played EQ years ago I always felt like I was playing a less represented class.

Catastrophe_XXVI on
  • Options
    REG Rysk wrote: »
    So many memories...why do I think about doing this?

I'm picturing a P1999 druid so I don't have to spend too stupid long running, or at least I do it with SoW and can kite/solo.

You should just try the current state of EQ. As quaint as P1999 is... it's really un-welcoming to "trying something new".

• Options
    I jumped on for an hour or two. Couldnt get the feel for it again. And I kept staring at my Shaman but knew if I logged into him I would be losing xp pretty fast :) So if I want to level up a melee with mercs I still most likely want to go with a hybrid right? Solo for Warrior and the like are still not the best idea i imagine?

• Options
    BullioBullio Registered User regular
    I jumped on for an hour or two. Couldnt get the feel for it again. And I kept staring at my Shaman but knew if I logged into him I would be losing xp pretty fast :) So if I want to level up a melee with mercs I still most likely want to go with a hybrid right? Solo for Warrior and the like are still not the best idea i imagine?

Any class is feasible with mercs. You can level to 60-65 with a tank merc pretty quickly if you stick to pre-PoP stuff. After that it depends on the class, but generally you'll want to start carrying a healer merc around with you. If you're leveling a melee character that isn't a rogue, expect to just idle for 10+ minutes with autoattack on while your merc heals you. Post-PoP stuff hits like fucking airtanks and has shitloads of HP.

It's why I never really went past level 70 with my rogue.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    I made an Ogre Beastlord on Firiona Vie (mostly for the XP bonus).

Took ages getting the UI all set up, about to head off... They've totally redone the new player experience.

• Options
    DigitalSynDigitalSyn Dr Digital Cumming, GARegistered User regular
    Damn you Anon - Your making want to play EQ again. Oh to see BlackBurrow and clear Mistmoore again

Xbox360: D1G1T4LSYN ( Yes, those are numbers. )
    PSNID: DigitalX86
    Nintendo ID: digitalsyn
    3DS Friend Code: 5300 - 9726 - 6963
    Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/D1G1T4LSYN/
  • Options
    DigitalSyn wrote: »
    Damn you Anon - Your making want to play EQ again. Oh to see BlackBurrow and clear Mistmoore again

Yeah, me too. I think I'm going to use a shroud to drop myself to a lower level and have some fun running around.

• Options
    DigitalSynDigitalSyn Dr Digital Cumming, GARegistered User regular
    Installing the client now. Gonna try the live servers, no p1999.

Xbox360: D1G1T4LSYN ( Yes, those are numbers. )
    PSNID: DigitalX86
    Nintendo ID: digitalsyn
    3DS Friend Code: 5300 - 9726 - 6963
    Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/D1G1T4LSYN/
  • Options
    I don't want to play live, I want nostalgia so that would be totally a non-starter.

• Options
    I don't want to play live, I want nostalgia so that would be totally a non-starter.

Trust me, there's still enough.

Myself, I logged onto Xegony-Druzzil Ro with my 59 Bard this weekend. Ran around Lower Guk and killed the Ghoul Lord (got 2xSkull Shaped Barbute - I remember when I was so excited to buy one for cheap back in 2000).

Then ran around Karnor's Castle some. Then I shrouded to level 35 and ran around killing some stuff in Mistmoore, at least until I got in over my head. Overall I managed to earn around 5 AAs.

If anyone else is thinking of indulging some nostalgia, it would be fun to have people to group with when I'm shrouded to lower levels!

• Options
    I gave it a try for a little bit on Saturday.

I'm not a fan of that new starting zone. Not even a little. Funny thing is, there's way to much going on there for it to be fun, and we're trapped underground? WTF.

Also I tried to get my old druid's name and it wasn't available on the few servers I tried. again, WTF? I have been able to get that name on every single game I have ever played since EQ.

• Options
    Yeah, I'd want to come in with a P1999 static party if I did anything.

It's unreasonable, but something I would probably try if I found the time and people.

• Options
    I wouldn't mind a solid P1999 group, but... Yeah, I don't really think it's feasible. My play desire comes in waves with EQ, can't even kind of promise a consistent schedule.

It would be sooo nice though.

• Options
    And that's the kind of thing I would be looking for. Like, 2-3 hours on a weeknight with 5-10 people. I'd be all over it.

• Options
    Honestly, the community in P99 is pretty shitastic. They've had numerous problems with GM favoritism and for the most part the people there are douches. I played it for about six months after it launched. I did meet some good folks, but they were few and far between. That being said, the problem would be alleviated with a good group.

I know that on regular EQs test server, there is a small but growing progression guild that just started up. They have some characters in the low 20's and are pretty pumped (at least in general chat) when they get a banded drop or patchwork. Might be worth looking into as A) test is free gold subscription and B) if you decide you want to go full blown EQ you can have other characters or accounts on there for free.

• Options
    badpoet wrote: »
    Honestly, the community in P99 is pretty shitastic. They've had numerous problems with GM favoritism and for the most part the people there are douches. I played it for about six months after it launched. I did meet some good folks, but they were few and far between. That being said, the problem would be alleviated with a good group.

I know that on regular EQs test server, there is a small but growing progression guild that just started up. They have some characters in the low 20's and are pretty pumped (at least in general chat) when they get a banded drop or patchwork. Might be worth looking into as A) test is free gold subscription and B) if you decide you want to go full blown EQ you can have other characters or accounts on there for free.

Yeah, I looked into P99 and I got a similar impression.

Like I mentioned earlier, their rules on "trains" are messed up and open to GM abuse. Plus, their camp "rules" let people completely monopolize any camp they want without a wait-list.

On the not complaining front, I messed around on Xegony some more with my bard. Apparently when they gave me most of the expansions for free, I got a bunch of items I could claim. A 100% reduction bag with 24 slots? Yes please!

• Options

I'm not a fan of that new starting zone. Not even a little. Funny thing is, there's way to much going on there for it to be fun, and we're trapped underground? WTF.

Also I tried to get my old druid's name and it wasn't available on the few servers I tried. again, WTF? I have been able to get that name on every single game I have ever played since EQ.

First, when you create your character, there's a small button on the right that says tutorial. Unclick it. The tutorial sucks.

Second, there are probably millions of old characters on EQ servers, so a lot of names are not available. The last time they did a character purge was like 2003 or something. I've had pretty good luck with my usual ones, though.

• Options
    badpoet wrote: »

First, when you create your character, there's a small button on the right that says tutorial. Unclick it. The tutorial sucks.

Second, there are probably millions of old characters on EQ servers, so a lot of names are not available. The last time they did a character purge was like 2003 or something. I've had pretty good luck with my usual ones, though.

And at one point there was a bug where deleting a character wouldn't clear the name. That caused me some problems.

And the server merges mean it's possible that one of your characters is already on that server taking the name. (Unless you logged into your same account, but then why aren't you logging into them?)

• Options
    Just hit Dubious with the Heretics on my Wood Elf Bard. I can wonder around Paineel without an illusion!

The faction system in EQ is the thing I miss the most in modern MMOs. I want to have to make decisions between different sides!

• Options
    I tried P1999 and remembered that it lacks all the conveniences of modern gaming. Let it remain a memory...

• Options
    I tried P1999 and remembered that it lacks all the conveniences of modern gaming. Let it remain a memory...

People that enjoy that don't want those conveniences. They want to re-live their nostalgia, but it really doesn't work for most folks (hence the low population). I'll take modern EQ over any of the classic server stuff any day of the week.

• Options
    krylon666krylon666 Registered User regular
    I'm probably going to try playing one of the classic EQs again. I setup p1999 last night but couldn't find the password to me eqemu login account, which is unrecoverable (which just seems fucking dumb).. Not that I had any great characters, but when I played a few years ago I had a bard that I liked that was getting pretty fun to play.

Anyway, I may start something new on p1999 - but I'm down to checkout the official EQ since its totally free as well. I just don't like the idea of all the old content being super easy (or maybe it just provides more xp now). When I played back in the day I started before Kunark and played in Kunark a bit. I remembering camping near a windmill (and having to dodge a nasty Iksar NPC necromancer on the way back to town). So I wasn't too high level, but it was fun and challenging. I got a sense that the sub level 60-70 stuff in EQ now is a breeze. I'd like to see a lot the content I never played through, but I don't want it to feel trivial. That's why p1999 is so appealing - since they're pacing it all out. But at the same time its fucking old school unforgiving EQ so I probably won't be able to stick with it for too long..

tldr - I want to play an mmo, but can't make up my mind

• Options
    PailryderPailryder Registered User regular
    the one thing eq didn't do when it relaunched F2P that it desperately needed was a better default UI setup. I think it takes most people that have played previously 20-30 minutes to get a good UI that let's them use their abilities, see chat, have their maps, bags, character slots, etc. all in a good place. If you haven't played EQ before (or heaven forbid only played it back in the original UI days) i could see giving up right at the start...also yeah the tutorial is NOT good, BUT it goes introduce everything if you love reading text...which is EQ i guess :)

• Options
    krylon666 wrote: »
    I'm probably going to try playing one of the classic EQs again. I setup p1999 last night but couldn't find the password to me eqemu login account, which is unrecoverable (which just seems fucking dumb).. Not that I had any great characters, but when I played a few years ago I had a bard that I liked that was getting pretty fun to play.

Anyway, I may start something new on p1999 - but I'm down to checkout the official EQ since its totally free as well. I just don't like the idea of all the old content being super easy (or maybe it just provides more xp now). When I played back in the day I started before Kunark and played in Kunark a bit. I remembering camping near a windmill (and having to dodge a nasty Iksar NPC necromancer on the way back to town). So I wasn't too high level, but it was fun and challenging. I got a sense that the sub level 60-70 stuff in EQ now is a breeze. I'd like to see a lot the content I never played through, but I don't want it to feel trivial. That's why p1999 is so appealing - since they're pacing it all out. But at the same time its fucking old school unforgiving EQ so I probably won't be able to stick with it for too long..

tldr - I want to play an mmo, but can't make up my mind

Some of the new gear does trivialize old world content, that's a fact of mudflation. BUT, and this is important, you can choose not to use new gear (there are plenty of "progression guilds" on servers that limit players gear, etc.) or you can move up a tier or two in difficulty by moving to a higher level zone.

No one would be forcing you to use Defiant gear (basically really good newbie gear that's way better than old world gear). Use banded and bronze weapons and the goblins in Runnyeye will be just as big of a challenge.