As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Street Fighter IV: IN-DE-STRUCT-ABLE

• Options
    SkutSkutSkutSkut Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Arde wrote: »
    SkutSkut wrote: »
    I stopped giving a shit about BP when I learned you could have 1 bad game against someone with 200 and lose about an hour and a halfs work.

If you're on 360 I could chun it up with you.

Wanna play, Skut? My XBL tag is mailarde.

Yeah I think I got you added I'll hop on.

SkutSkut on
  • Options
    GF-BoceifusGF-Boceifus Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Arde wrote: »
    I stopped giving a shit about BP when I learned you could have 1 bad game against someone with 200 and lose about an hour and a halfs work.

If you're on 360 I could chun it up with you.

Wanna play, Skut? My XBL tag is mailarde.

Just wanted to say sorry I missed the invite last night Arde, I was playing a ranked match when you sent the invite and as soon as it was over I tried to get in but the room was full. I might be on tonight but with new south park and reno 911 odds are I won't be on till tomorrow.

Stoked, you shouldn't have any problems vs Guile with Sagat. I helped Evil out with this matchup last Friday, and if you'd like to get some games in just let me know. Once Sagat properly learns the zoning game against Guile it's almost impossible for me to get a win with my current playstyle. Sometimes it sucks playing turtle vs. turtle, but that's Sagat's best option if you ask me.

GF-Boceifus on
    steam_sig.png
    XBL / GFWL: Boceifus
  • Options
    StokedUpStokedUp Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Hmmm I suppose. I just hate losing to guiles who do nothing but sonic boom and flash kick... D: im a baby like that

StokedUp on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Gamertag(SSF4/MW2)StokedAidzzzSC2 ID Stoked.655
    Uploaded SC2 Replays
  • Options
    MarikirMarikir Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    StokedUp wrote: »
    Hmmm I suppose. I just hate losing to guiles who do nothing but sonic boom and flash kick... D: im a baby like that

Seems like I have this issue to with my Chun vs a Guile. I know my biggest issue is the damn c.HK that Guile has. I always try to time it between the strikes and 70% of the time, I miss. I need to learn to be patient. Knowing that is fine, but doing it is actually pretty damn hard.

Marikir on
    steam_sig.png "Hiding in plain sight." PSN/XBL: Marikir
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Yeah I think I learnt finally that jumping in is usually a bad idea against a competent player.

Its a tough habit to break for sure.

Man I also keep getting these lag spikes. Im not sure if its d/c or not but f*** its annoying.

StokedUp on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Uploaded SC2 Replays
  • Options
    DocDoc Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2009
    StokedUp wrote: »
    Yeah I think I learnt finally that jumping in is usually a bad idea against a competent player.

Its a tough habit to break for sure.

Man I also keep getting these lag spikes. Im not sure if its d/c or not but f*** its annoying.

When I play sagat I just do his standing fierce kick as anti-air. It's so highly reliable that what typically happens is they jump in, I smack them, they land, jump in, I smack them, they immediately jump in again and I smack them. Then they just stand there for a few seconds and I taunt.

Doc on
  • Options
    thepassengerthepassenger Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Doc wrote: »
    When I play sagat I just do his standing fierce kick as anti-air. It's so highly reliable that what typically happens is they jump in, I smack them, they land, jump in, I smack them, they immediately jump in again and I smack them. Then they just stand there for a few seconds and I taunt.
    It's kinda funny to see the light bulb go off in their heads after you hit them with something like that 2 or 3 times. Although one time I fought a Ken, and he met my Sakura c.HP a couple times after jumping in, he paused for awhile, and then jumped in again (only to eat another fist). o_O

thepassenger on
    PSN: ohvermie <- ADD ME FOR STREET FIGHTING ACTION!
  • Options
    MarikirMarikir Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Doc wrote: »
    It's kinda funny to see the light bulb go off in their heads after you hit them with something like that 2 or 3 times. Although one time I fought a Ken, and he met my Sakura c.HP a couple times after jumping in, he paused for awhile, and then jumped in again (only to eat another fist). o_O

Yeah, I remember you doing this to my Chun a few nights ago. Sakura's c.HP is damn effective.

Marikir on
    steam_sig.png "Hiding in plain sight." PSN/XBL: Marikir
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Same with Dhalsim. His back standing roudhouse has a crazy hitbox yet people still try and jump in on him.

StokedUp on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Uploaded SC2 Replays
  • Options
    Fizban140Fizban140 Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2009
    What is Sagat suppose to do against Guile? I tried fireball spam but he will just jump in at me and I either can not get the uppercut off or he will back up before my knee or uppercut hits and he will punish me.

Fizban140 on
  • Options
    surefire1982surefire1982 Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Fizban140 wrote: »
    What is Sagat suppose to do against Guile? I tried fireball spam but he will just jump in at me and I either can not get the uppercut off or he will back up before my knee or uppercut hits and he will punish me.

Guile has always been a tricky fight for me (a friend of mine mains guile, and we've sparred quite a bit, we go 50/50, usually, but it's a hard fight. The key I find against him is to bait him into doing something stupid, and punishing him for it. Mix up the fireballs, alternating between low/high, fast/slow, and try not to chuck a fireball if he is anywhere closer than full screen distance.

Also, find a way to get a tiger uppercut between kicks in his double sweep.

surefire1982 on
    Laxity spawns a lifetime of heresy. Never forgive, never forget.
    PSN: surefire1982
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    I'm going to end up returning my PS3 Fightpad. Just having too many problems with it trying to hold a connection, and when it does, it often gets stuck (i.e. jumping constantly because it thinks i'm holding the up button)...i'm dissapointed because there are no other pads out there that are wireless and have a 6 button layout on the face. Anyone else here have a ps3 fightpad that could comment?

surefire1982 on
  • Options
    4rch3nemy4rch3nemy Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Yeah, it's hilarious when people jump in repeatedly as Dhalsim. It's a free win against flowcharts.

EDIT: in response to stoked a page ago or so. stupid forum. stupid 4rch.

4rch3nemy on
  • Options
    AuburnTigerAuburnTiger Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I'm going to end up returning my PS3 Fightpad. Just having too many problems with it trying to hold a connection, and when it does, it often gets stuck (i.e. jumping constantly because it thinks i'm holding the up button)...i'm dissapointed because there are no other pads out there that are wireless and have a 6 button layout on the face. Anyone else here have a ps3 fightpad that could comment?

Wireless controllers are for aristocratic, silver spoon-fed snobs; WIRED controllers are where it's at!

AuburnTiger on
    XBL: Flex MythoMass
  • Options
    shadydentistshadydentist Registered User regular
    edited April 2009

Guile has always been a tricky fight for me (a friend of mine mains guile, and we've sparred quite a bit, we go 50/50, usually, but it's a hard fight. The key I find against him is to bait him into doing something stupid, and punishing him for it. Mix up the fireballs, alternating between low/high, fast/slow, and try not to chuck a fireball if he is anywhere closer than full screen distance.

Also, find a way to get a tiger uppercut between kicks in his double sweep.

A turtling Guile is easy, because you can fireball spam faster than he can.

If he moves in on you, you have to just play smart. Vary up your fireballs so you don't become predictable, and keep in mind that between your tiger knee, F. HK, and tiger upper, you've got a lot of options against the jump-in.

shadydentist on
    Steam & GT
    steam_sig.png
    GT: Tanky the Tank
    Black: 1377 6749 7425
  • Options
    edited April 2009

Wireless controllers are for aristocratic, silver spoon-fed snobs; WIRED controllers are where it's at!

hey i like my silver spoon! *gets back on high horse to mingle among the wealthy landowners*

surefire1982 on
  • Options
    DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    templewulf wrote: »
    Daedalus wrote: »
    oldtype wrote: »
    Is there any chance of getting a decent stick for this within the next... century?

I really, really want to start playing but the lack of joystick availability is the only thing holding me back.

Build your own. LizardLick will start stocking parts again in a couple weeks. It's seriously not all that hard.

What do you recommend for stick housings to an apartment-dwelling no-tool-haver. I have a soldering iron and requisite electronics skills, but carpenter I ain't.

You are in exactly (seriously, exactly) the same position that I was in when I started.

http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?t=81347

Daedalus on
  • Options
    acidlacedpenguinacidlacedpenguin Institutionalized Safe in jail.Registered User regular
    edited April 2009

hey i like my silver spoon! *gets back on high horse to mingle among the wealthy landowners*

isn't the Hori Real Arcade Pro 3 (HRAP 3) wireless?

acidlacedpenguin on
    GT: Acidboogie PSNid: AcidLacedPenguiN
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    isn't the Hori Real Arcade Pro 3 (HRAP 3) wireless?

yes, but i've always preferred pads, since I played mostly console versions (SF2 for the SNES)...never went to arcades much growing up, thanks to being in a small town.

The only thing i'll miss about the fightpad is the 6 button layout. I much prefer the dualshock pad, since i played alot of SFA1,2 and 3 on the PS1, and so my hands have become accustomed to it.

Oh and Daedalus, that's a sweet breakdown of how you built your arcade stick!

surefire1982 on
  • Options
    GF-BoceifusGF-Boceifus Registered User regular
    edited April 2009

You do not need a tiger uppercut or a tiger knee. f.HK is all you need against a jumping in Guile. Honestly the only way that he will ever get in on you is if he predicts you will throw a tiger shot and jumps over it at mid screen, so to recap.

Guile at full screen = tiger shot spam
    Guile between full screen and half screen = more tiger shot spam, and if he jumps use f.HK
    Guile closer than half screen = stop throwing tiger shots and get offensive like you normally would.

I believe that using pre-charging Guile can match the tiger shot spam at full screen, but it requires a very sick execution to pull off for longer than 10 seconds. Be wary of ex booms at long range, but don't be too afraid because they don't do too much damage. And as always, NEVER JUMP IN ON A CHARGED GUILE. Even if he isn't charged, DON'T JUMP IN HAVEN'T YOU SEEN HIS c.HP!

GF-Boceifus on
    steam_sig.png
    XBL / GFWL: Boceifus
  • Options
    Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Minerva_SC wrote: »
    How to beat cammy on any difficulty with gief:

1) crouch block at about 1 to 2 character lengths away
    2) see that spinning fist? lariat it
    3) repeat steps 1 and 2 till dead.

yea, if you space it right she spams this move over and over and over and you can lariat it every time. just jump the ultra and SPD her every time she cannon drills and youre gold. took me a while to figure the pattern, but once i did finishing off the last couple hard time trials was cake.

Ah_Pook on
  • Options
    AuburnTigerAuburnTiger Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Ah_Pook wrote: »

yea, if you space it right she spams this move over and over and over and you can lariat it every time. just jump the ultra and SPD her every time she cannon drills and youre gold. took me a while to figure the pattern, but once i did finishing off the last couple hard time trials was cake.

What distance is the right "space" ?

AuburnTiger on
    XBL: Flex MythoMass
  • Options
    solsovlysolsovly Registered User regular
    edited April 2009

You do not need a tiger uppercut or a tiger knee. f.HK is all you need against a jumping in Guile. Honestly the only way that he will ever get in on you is if he predicts you will throw a tiger shot and jumps over it at mid screen, so to recap.

Guile at full screen = tiger shot spam
    Guile between full screen and half screen = more tiger shot spam, and if he jumps use f.HK
    Guile closer than half screen = stop throwing tiger shots and get offensive like you normally would.

I believe that using pre-charging Guile can match the tiger shot spam at full screen, but it requires a very sick execution to pull off for longer than 10 seconds. Be wary of ex booms at long range, but don't be too afraid because they don't do too much damage. And as always, NEVER JUMP IN ON A CHARGED GUILE. Even if he isn't charged, DON'T JUMP IN HAVEN'T YOU SEEN HIS c.HP!

I would even keep throwing shots if he is Focus Absorbing them at full screen. Guile's ultra is such a small threat that it's worth the Focus Damage for pressure or actually getting lucky with a tiger shot.

solsovly on
  • Options
    edited April 2009

What distance is the right "space" ?

1-2 character lengths, like that other guy said. somewhere right outside sweep range. fire up Vs CPU with cammy on hardest and you can feel it out. also you can get down SPDing her cannon drills that way while youre at it.

Ah_Pook on
  • Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    edited April 2009

DON'T EVER JUMP IN ON GUILE.

Throw fireballs until he is within jump-in range; at this point, if he predicts your fireball, he will jump-in and combo you.

Turtle hard. Force him to come to you. The tough part is that guile's jump arc is hard to hit with a tiger knee or HK, so you will have to force him to make mistakes.

Be patient and play very conservatively. His only options are to
    -sonic boom you - which you can beat with your fireballs
    -jump in - which you should be able to counter if you aren't recovering from a fireball
    -pressure with overheads and throws and flash kicks to stuff your attacks, up close - toughest thing to beat, make sure you're always ready to throw or tech, and punish any holes in his offense with a low LK or MK > Tiger Shot or Tiger Upper or Tiger Knee. If you're up close, a crouching LK will interrupt his double sweep between sweeps. When in doubt, wait and block, and watch for the throw.

DON'T JUMP IN ON HIM. The only time you should ever EVER jump is when you know you've got a solid crossup opportunity with a jumping LK, preferably to Tiger Shot or Tiger Upper.

But DO NOT JUMP IN ON HIM. The only time that will be safe is if you're hitting him as he's recovering from a slow move, like if you predicted a sonic boom, or you're punishing a whiffed ultra.

Patience and calm when he's pressuring you up close is key.

Evil Multifarious on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    If you're up close, a crouching LK will interrupt his double sweep between sweeps. When in doubt, wait and block, and watch for the throw.

ah...i never thought of that...i was always trying to cram a tiger uppercut inbetween the sweeps and would whiff it in most cases....

surefire1982 on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    you can focus attack in between the two sweeps, also. you gotta either time it really well and hit the lvl2 for a crumple or backdash out though, or itll leave you eating a flashkick.

Ah_Pook on
  • Options
    JelloblimpJelloblimp Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    you can focus attack in between the two sweeps, also. you gotta either time it really well and hit the lvl2 for a crumple or backdash out though, or itll leave you eating a flashkick.
    Absorb the first sweep then release, since he is doing a move it will be a level 1 FA counter which will crumple.
    Edit for below: oh, dohh.

Jelloblimp on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Jelloblimp wrote: »
    Absorb the first sweep then release, since he is doing a move it will be a level 1 FA counter which will crumple.

No he's saying you can block the first hit and then FA the second.

TheStig on
    bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    SivrajSivraj Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Jeeez, i just lost 125 in one match. Erasing my last 6 wins.

I think i'll stick to Player Matches for a while.

Sivraj on
    XBL - Degami | Steam - Degami | Battle.net - Degami #1837 | PSN - Degojin
  • Options
    L.E.O.L.E.O. Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    does anyone here play with the joy pad? and if so what is your button configuration? 360 joy pad that is.

L.E.O. on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    I use standard setup for the 360 controller. yeah I could probably be better if I had a stick but eh, charge characters don't require ballroom dancing on your analog stick and buttons to get them to do decent combos.

SkutSkut on
  • Options
    4rch3nemy4rch3nemy Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I use a wireless 360 controller and use the analogue thumbstick to play. I think if I started using the D-Pad I'd get much more out of the controller but the D-Pad is in such an uncomfortable position to play Dhalsim with (teleports galore, always use L-bumper) that I don't bother.

Once I get my fightpad (if ever, at this rate) I'll use that, though.

In other news, I've been doing really well.. even though I said I'd not play the game until I got a fightpad/stick. I just won another ~7 in a row with my Sim. Unfortunately they were mostly scrubs and then an E-Honda came and wrecked my shit horribly.

4rch3nemy on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    4rch3nemy wrote: »
    I use a wireless 360 controller and use the analogue thumbstick to play. I think if I started using the D-Pad I'd get much more out of the controller but the D-Pad is in such an uncomfortable position to play Dhalsim with (teleports galore, always use L-bumper) that I don't bother.

Once I get my fightpad (if ever, at this rate) I'll use that, though.

In other news, I've been doing really well.. even though I said I'd not play the game until I got a fightpad/stick. I just won another ~7 in a row with my Sim. Unfortunately they were mostly scrubs and then an E-Honda came and wrecked my shit horribly.
    the cool thing about the d-pad is that its way faster, but i cant do hadokens on that shit to save my life.

so i use both the analogue and the d-pad, d-pad for dashing and quick jumping.

L.E.O. on
  • Options
    The Grey GOATThe Grey GOAT Registered User regular
    edited April 2009

I don't know if you have the room for it, but get the X-Arcade stick if you can. It works for PS3 with an adapter I think (the display in the store worked fine) but it's huge and bulky. However it is 2 sticks in one so you can play friends locally without having to buy 2 seperate controllers. Or you could just by a 360 and get a better fight stick :P

x-arcade-two-player.jpg

The Grey GOAT on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "Faster, Faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death." -HST
  • Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Yeah, my brother saw something like that at fry's, i'm not sure if it was the same brand but he said one of the stick was already broken and not registering a lot of commands. That button layout looks pretty lame too, plus you can't put the stick on your lap or take it with you to a tourny.

TheStig on
    bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    I use standard setup for the 360 controller. yeah I could probably be better if I had a stick but eh, charge characters don't require ballroom dancing on your analog stick and buttons to get them to do decent combos.
    damn, i dont know how you do it, the standered set up has the (all Punches) and (all Kicks) directly on top of the analogue stick, man that shit is impossible to get to. i switched those buttons to the right button and trigger, and put FA and throw on the left ones, i can never do a proper HP or HK but screw it its worth it to have FA and Throw so accessible.

L.E.O. on
  • Options
    fRAWRstfRAWRst The Seas Call The Mad AnswerRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    i find it incredibly easy to hit both a/x for grabs and y.b for FA.
    Maybe im just fat

fRAWRst on
    J3qcnBP.png
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    L.E.O. wrote: »
    damn, i dont know how you do it, the standered set up has the (all Punches) and (all Kicks) directly on top of the analogue stick, man that shit is impossible to get to. i switched those buttons to the right button and trigger, and put FA and throw on the left ones, i can never do a proper HP or HK but screw it its worth it to have FA and Throw so accessible.

thumb on stick, middle finger rest on LT and switches to LB when needed.

SkutSkut on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    L.E.O. wrote: »

thumb on stick, middle finger rest on LT and switches to LB when needed.
    how good are you? can you beat the game on hardest? how is your on-line play?

L.E.O. on