As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Street Fighter IV: IN-DE-STRUCT-ABLE

1585960616264»

• Options
    AntihippyAntihippy Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Gouken sounds so senile in english.

Antihippy on
    10454_nujabes2.pngPSN: Antiwhippy
  • Options
    ArdeArde Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Antihippy wrote: »
    Gouken sounds so senile in english.

Being comatose for almost a dozen years can do that to people or fictional characters, I hear...

Arde on
    Wii code:3004 5525 7274 3361
    XBL Gametag: mailarde

Screen Digest LOL3RZZ
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Doesn't explain how he kept those muscles. :P

He could probably crush a baby just by flexing.

Antihippy on
  • Options
    AKSU 308AKSU 308 Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    They should have used Sheng Long instead of Gouken seeing they changed Gouki to Akuma anyway. Would have kept the 'legend' going.

From Wikipedia:

The mistranslation spawned rumors about the existence of a Sheng Long character in the game,[2] and players sent letters to video game publications attempting to confirm the character's existence. In the April 1992 issue of the video game magazine Electronic Gaming Monthly, a method was "revealed" to reach Sheng Long in the arcade game. The reporter, cited as W.A. Stokins of Fuldigan, HA, claimed that the character could be found if a player using Ryu did not let the character suffer any damage during the entire game, and upon reaching the final match against M. Bison could neither hit Bison nor let him inflict any damage until the time limit expired, thus ending the round in a draw. After repeating this for ten consecutive rounds Sheng Long would then appear out of nowhere and throw Bison off of the edge screen and out of the way. The game's on-screen timer would then stop at 99 seconds, resulting in a "fight to the death" between Ryu and Sheng Long.[9]

Sheng Long was stated to feature the special moves of all the fighters, such as Chun-Li's "Spinning Bird Kick" and Sagat's projectile attacks, but inflict more damage. In addition, the character was supposedly faster than any other fighter in the game, negating the pause between projectile attacks. Other attacks mentioned included an air-based throw attack and a "Dragon Punch" shown to consume his fist in flames to represent his greater power.[9]

The joke became an international sensation when publications from Europe, Hong Kong and other countries reprinted the trick without verifying it or asking EGM's permission. A Hong Kong comic based on Street Fighter II by Jademan Comics altered their story to include the character.[1] Players tried unsuccessfully for weeks to unlock Sheng Long,[10] until it was revealed in the December issue of EGM that it was a hoax, with the staff stating they were surprised at the worldwide coverage the joke had received.[11]

AKSU 308 on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    One of his titles is AKA Sheng Long.

Antihippy on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Yeah I think from the trial stage. Sheng Long sounds cooler IMO.

AKSU 308 on
  • Options
    ChaosHatChaosHat Hop, hop, hop, HA! Trick of the lightRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I'm on now, working through trials if anyone wants to play a pretty good Chun and a handful of other characters I'm decent with.

Edit: It's a good thing I don't main someone that has meaningful FADC combos. I've been trying to do Ryu's srk fadc into ultra for a few days now. Nothing.

ChaosHat on
  • Options
    AuburnTigerAuburnTiger Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I just bought the Shoryuken Costume Pack and the SFIV Premium Theme #4.

Hee hee.

AuburnTiger on
    XBL: Flex MythoMass
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Hey Aksu, are you on PS3 or 360?

Just realised we're from the same continent and wondering if you wanna spar. :D

Antihippy on
  • Options
    eekeek Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Streets need to be fought, message eek711 on XBL for some hot tub o' lard Rufus action.

eek on
  • Options
    RaynagaRaynaga Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    eek wrote: »
    Streets need to be fought, message eek711 on XBL for some hot tub o' lard Rufus action.

Well, while I've definitely gotten better, fighting your Rufus was like being a 12 year old blond boy in the middle of a Guatemalan prison. The Blue Tornado business tore me to shreds.

Appreciate the matches! And I totally managed to win.

One.

Raynaga on
  • Options
    shadydentistshadydentist Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Good news everybody!

My Happ stick and buttons arrived in the mail today. Will be assembled by the end of the week (perhaps)

shadydentist on
    Steam & GT
    steam_sig.png
    GT: Tanky the Tank
    Black: 1377 6749 7425
  • Options
    Dr Mario KartDr Mario Kart Games Dealer Austin, TXRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    someone is telling me that ryu can hit an ultra from an ex-fireball, not in the corner, just straight up.

I'm skeptical.

Dr Mario Kart on
  • Options
    aBlankaBlank Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    someone is telling me that ryu can hit an ultra from an ex-fireball, not in the corner, just straight up.

I'm skeptical.

it's true. AFAIK, you just have to be really close to pull it off. You can also FADC after an EX fireball into ultra.

aBlank on
  • Options
    The Cow KingThe Cow King a island Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Im going on for a bout a hour. Some one come fight Honnndaaa or Vega depending on what I'm feeling.

GT: Metal Death5

The Cow King on
    icGJy2C.png
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    I'm on Xbox 360. Add me to your list, AKSU 308 is my nick. Anybody else from Australia feel free to add me as well, just tap out a short message that you're from Penny Arcade forums.

I'm always happy to get some practice.

AKSU 308 on
  • Options
    Fizban140Fizban140 Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2009

I'm skeptical.
    I am pretty sure he can hit his ultra off an uppercut cancel thing, so I would not be suprised if this works. Either on wake up or other craziness.

Fizban140 on
  • Options
    eekeek Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Yeah, I just tested the mid-screen ex -> ultra. It works, though it isn't easy, timing is pretty tight.

eek on
  • Options
    Fig-DFig-D Tustin, CA, USRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    If someone hits you just as the EX fireball is coming out then the timing becomes much less strict. I speak from experience. On the receiving end of that of course.

Fig-D on
    SteamID - Fig-D :: PSN - Fig-D
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Goddamn I suck today. :(

So many Zangiefs...

Managed to trounce a few though.

Antihippy on
  • Options
    AuburnTigerAuburnTiger Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Antihippy wrote: »
    Goddamn I suck today. :(

So many Zangiefs...

Managed to trounce a few though.

Gouken's got a great move for the lariat; Z motion plus kick puts him over the top for a two hit combo. They never seem to learn, either!

AuburnTiger on
    XBL: Flex MythoMass
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Lariat doesn't bother me. I just sweep.

It's just the way you have to perfectly zone all the time that makes him really irritating.

It's like fighting a hairy iceberg.

Managed to get this 1770 bp one good though. He pretty much had me down a pixel of health left, and waiting at the corner waiting for me to come to him. So I just rushed in with a EX shouoken.

<3 invincibility frames.

Edit: Awww, sorry Aksu, I'm with PS3.

Antihippy on
  • Options
    StokedUpStokedUp Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    watch?v=Rx8vZzayh20

Here's just a test recording I did to see if I could post some street fights on the forum and whatnot. Both as for help with my strategy and whatnot as well as just showing interesting fights like tourney matches or PA player matches.

The quality ain't so good I know. I'm new to this and i'm not sure if my camera can get any better but i'll try for sure. The sound got messed up so I HAD some great old audio to fill in but apparently theres copyright infringement. I had to swap the audio for some random song so I decided to put Abel Okugawa or somethings beat... haha his name is Abel. Get it?

Anyway, the matches weren't great and I was very distracted while playing but I still pulled off the win twice against tough matchups (for me anyway) with Abel. Nothin flashy and plenty of mistakes. Anyways, let me know about the quality if you think its decent enough for this kind of thing.

Oh and any tips on recording matches would also be great. (like filling the entire screen D: wow i'm dumb)... anyways enjoy! And i'll be online in a few moments

edit: oops, problems. uno momento. Not sure how to embed the video. So heres the link until I figure it out. I'm ashamed

edit2: I think I got it. :D

StokedUp on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Gamertag(SSF4/MW2)StokedAidzzzSC2 ID Stoked.655
    Uploaded SC2 Replays
  • Options
    Nick TNick T Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Is anyone on the forum a Gen user or familiar enough with his Gekiro move to help me with the timing? Sweet fancy Moses I just can't get the timing down for that thing to get all the hits to land reliably for HK. I can land 6 hits a lot of the time but that isn't special.

Thanks in advance.

Nick T on
    PSN: ConvicNic
  • Options
    GroveGrove Los AngelesRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    So are we now going over 100 pages with threads? I only ask because this one and RE5 are over and I'm always hesitant to post when I think the thread is about to disappear.

Grove on
    Selling PS3 & 360 Madcatz TE Stick
  • Options
    RaynagaRaynaga Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    The fact that this hasn't been locked yet, and that the Islam-movie-link thread in a G&T forum is also still open leads me to believe that the mods are out of the office at the moment, so to speak. The 100 limit still exists.

Raynaga on
  • Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Nick T wrote: »
    Is anyone on the forum a Gen user or familiar enough with his Gekiro move to help me with the timing? Sweet fancy Moses I just can't get the timing down for that thing to get all the hits to land reliably for HK. I can land 6 hits a lot of the time but that isn't special.

Thanks in advance.

I've found two ways to reliable do the timing.

&

That's the best way I can describe it to you via the interweb. I'll be available for fightings tomorrow if you want. I can land the full kick about 90% of the time now online and close to 100 offline.

Taramoor on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Decided to use Sagat for the first time.

Holy shit I should not be winning this many matches.

Antihippy on
  • Options
    CaenemCaenem Sarasota, FLRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Taramoor wrote: »

Thanks in advance.

&

That's the best way I can describe it to you via the interweb. I'll be available for fightings tomorrow if you want. I can land the full kick about 90% of the time now online and close to 100 offline.

Another thing I've found to work pretty reliably is try to time your kicks when the other guy's body is about equal to your crotch level. Each kick knocks them up a little bit, and the 1...2...3...4.5.6.7 timing sort of goes along with when they're falling and hit the sweet spot (old man wrinkley nuts). The EX Gekiro is a free pass and you can decide when to kick, there's no timing involved. I use the medium kick most because that's the timing that's easiest for me.

Caenem on
    But you, pig, are a lucky one. Tell us what we wish to know, and you may yet keep your bacon.
    Nemlock for online gaming
  • Options
    SnareSnare Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    StokedUp here's my list of things I noticed...

With Chun-Li you were jumping far too much, almost every attack you did started with a jump, and they really saw it coming early on. Nice use of combos though, coming out pretty smoothly with the upkicks.

Also you played very aggressively, I used to do the same, you've gotta learn to balance offensive and defensive play.

With Sagat the fierce Tiger Knee's really got you punished, I wouldn't even bother using them except for closing distance on a knockdown. I also saw quite a few c.HK's that gave them an advantage. Try using lighter attacks if you aren't sure or are just poking from close range.

During the second round of the Sagat match the Abel was punishing you because you were being too aggressive, just hold back and wait for them to fuck up.

Snare on
  • Options
    ArdeArde Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Snare wrote: »
    StokedUp here's my list of things I noticed...

With Chun-Li you were jumping far too much, almost every attack you did started with a jump, and they really saw it coming early on. Nice use of combos though, coming out pretty smoothly with the upkicks.

Also you played very aggressively, I used to do the same, you've gotta learn to balance offensive and defensive play.

With Sagat the fierce Tiger Knee's really got you punished, I wouldn't even bother using them except for closing distance on a knockdown. I also saw quite a few c.HK's that gave them an advantage. Try using lighter attacks if you aren't sure or are just poking from close range.

During the second round of the Sagat match the Abel was punishing you because you were being too aggressive, just hold back and wait for them to fuck up.

StokedUp was using Abel in those vids. :P

@StokedUp: Your use of j.MK is definitely improving - you're using it very well for cross-ups as well as early anti-air.
    One thing you should be careful of is using j.MK on Sagat especially if you're in range for his s.HK or f.HK - a decent Sagat who knows this match-up well enough will bait you to jump in so that he can do f.HK to ultra.

Arde on
    Wii code:3004 5525 7274 3361
    XBL Gametag: mailarde

Screen Digest LOL3RZZ
  • Options
    Nick TNick T Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Caenem wrote: »
    Taramoor wrote: »

Thanks in advance.

&

Another thing I've found to work pretty reliably is try to time your kicks when the other guy's body is about equal to your crotch level. Each kick knocks them up a little bit, and the 1...2...3...4.5.6.7 timing sort of goes along with when they're falling and hit the sweet spot (old man wrinkley nuts). The EX Gekiro is a free pass and you can decide when to kick, there's no timing involved. I use the medium kick most because that's the timing that's easiest for me.

Thanks to both of you. I know it's hard to describe that online, I've been trying to keep him at crotch level and following the timing but I think it just gets tough after the 4th or 5th hit on the timing. And I need to land the whole thing if I ever want to get past his stupid last trial. If only that could be EX.

Nick T on
    PSN: ConvicNic
  • Options
    SabreMauSabreMau ネトゲしよう 판다리아Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    The most I'll usually play against a single opponent is 20 games, so that I can cycle through all of Sakura's regular and alternate outfits. But few people stick around that long. When they do, it can be a marathon of excellent gaming.

Just got one of those marathons against a guy with the Perfectionist title. An FADCing Ryu who knew exactly what he was doing. Those are the kinds of games I look for when I go randomly searching in Player Match. If I meet a flowchart, I'm dropping him after one game, but this guy was a worthy opponent. Gave me more losses in one sitting than I'd had in a while, but as long as it's a challenging matchup (while not being a hopelessly challenging matchup), 'tis all good.

SabreMau on
  • Options
    wonderpugwonderpug Registered User regular
    edited April 2009

From what I've heard, if you manage to land the 6th hit you can just spam the button to get the last kick in.

wonderpug on
  • Options
    PhotonPhoton Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I got my fightstick today! it has made me very awful but im willing to put in the time practising with it!

Im confused at what is a "normal" layout though, in the button config screen when i switch it to arcade stick, Type A B and C all seem really strange, do people actually play with those? or are they designed for sticks with different physical layouts?

Punches along the top and kicks along the bottom seems to make the most sense for me

Photon on
    PSN: photon_86
  • Options
    wonderpugwonderpug Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Photon wrote: »
    Im confused at what is a "normal" layout though, in the button config screen when i switch it to arcade stick, Type A B and C all seem really strange, do people actually play with those? or are they designed for sticks with different physical layouts?

Different controllers have different button layouts, that is, the buttons are generally arranged the same way, but they'll differ on which button is X, which is Y, etc. The different config types are there to make the punch and kicks line up properly with these different controllers.

You want the top row to be, light punch, medium punch, and heavy punch (left to right), and the bottom row to be kicks in the same order of strength. If you have an 8-button stick it's up to you whether you want the attacks to be on the leftmost 6 buttons in a staggered Japanese style layout, or the rightmost 6 buttons in the traditional American style straight grid.

wonderpug on
  • Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    New thread here:

CLICK ME!

MNC Dover on
    Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page