Options

I need a new car...

2»

• Options
    DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
    edited March 2009
    Friend of mine owns a Kia, he likes it a lot.

I'd avoid buying a Saturn or a Pontiac for the exact reason given to buy them above: They're going to be discontinued, so if heaven forbid something bad happens to your car, it's going to be more expensive to fix.

Unknown User on
  • Options
    PeregrineFalconPeregrineFalcon Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    robothero wrote: »
    Friend of mine owns a Kia, he likes it a lot.

I'd avoid buying a Saturn or a Pontiac for the exact reason given to buy them above: They're going to be discontinued, so if heaven forbid something bad happens to your car, it's going to be more expensive to fix.

... What? It's a GM. The Astra a little less, since it's ferried over from the land of tea and crumpets along with its bits, but Pontiac and Chevy are the inbred backwater hicks of the automotive world - everything is sharing DNA. Pretty much everything but the body panels are interchangable. :P

PeregrineFalcon on
    Looking for a DX:HR OnLive code for my kid brother.
    Can trade TF2 items or whatever else you're interested in. PM me.
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Pretty much everything GM makes is a twinned vehicle.

Pontiac G5 = Chevy Cobalt

Saturn Aura = Chevy Malibu = Cadillac CTS = Buick LaCrosse = Pontiac G6

Chevy Impala = Buick Lucerne = Cadillac STS

And the Saturn Astra will be very similar to the Chevy Cruze, the new small car coming out.

Pontiac used to be a bitchin' muscle car brand in the 60's and 70's, then in the 90's it turned to just a different body style. Worse than death.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    WezoinWezoin Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Are you talking specifically new, as in new new, or are you considering used?

$10,000 can get you alot of car used, but you're very limited if you're only looking new - 1 year old.

I still think finding a few year old x-type wagon, getting it checked out by a trusted mechanic, and buying it for great cargo space and awesomeness would be great for your needs.

Wezoin on
  • Options
    eternalbleternalbl Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Another vote for Mazda 5, but then I work at a Mazda dealer.

Anyways, wired recently gave it wagon of choice for combination of good fuel economy and value for features. It was being compared to a BMW, an AWD subaru, and I think an Infiniti.

Also, put some snows on there and its a beast for winter driving. But BC winters can be fairly mild.

eternalbl on
    eternalbl.png
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    If you're in Wisconsin, then I'd suggest a Subaru sedan or hatchback. They're basically a Honda for the snow, incredibly safe, and they all come standard with AWD. As I said before, you really don't need a minivan or SUV, especially if you don't even have kids yet.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    CorvusCorvus . VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I know someone who owns a Rondo and seems happy with it as a family hauler. If your budget was higher, I'd suggest a Honda Fit as well, but even used ones are going to be out of that price range.

Corvus on
    :so_raven: