As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Max Payne 3 coming this Winter

• Options
    Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    The first 2 MP games are really fucking great with mouse aiming.

Also with the modding.

Johnny Chopsocky on
    ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • Options
    anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    The first 2 MP games are really fucking great with mouse aiming.

Also with the modding.
    Oooh, yeah. Mods. I should go with the PC version.

anoffday on
    Steam: offday
  • Options
    IdolisideIdoliside Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    If he doesn't look constipated, i'm not buying it...

Idoliside on
    Proud member of Noah's Wangship Steam Group
    iusb_760x100.8161697.jpgBunting, Owls and Cushions! Feecloud Designs
  • Options
    GyralGyral Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I demand that they make Max Payne stroke his beard to start Bullet Time. No reason outside of the fact that it would look cool.

Gyral on
    25t9pjnmqicf.jpg
  • Options
    SithDrummerSithDrummer Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Gyral wrote: »
    I demand that they make Max Payne stroke his beard to start Bullet Time. No reason outside of the fact that it would look cool.
    There should be a very thoughtful "hmmmm" involved as well.

SithDrummer on
  • Options
    IdolisideIdoliside Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    im now re-downloading Max Payne and the Kung Fu mod, memories!

Idoliside on
    Proud member of Noah's Wangship Steam Group
    iusb_760x100.8161697.jpgBunting, Owls and Cushions! Feecloud Designs
  • Options
    GoombaGoomba __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2009
    subedii wrote: »
    Ampix wrote: »
    About the special ending:
    Wow, that is a really bad ending. I think that the tragedy of Max's character is only enforced by the fact that everybody dies around him, and then they slap you in the face with that. Good thing I didn't finish the game on hard.
    It may not have been true to the tragic nature of Payne, but goddamn it, Max just needs to win one once in awhile.

Pretty much. After everything that's happened to him, I felt Max was deserving of at least a little break.
    In either ending he was happy. So I really don't see why they would make a new game other than wanting money. I have such high hopes for this game.

Goomba on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Goomba wrote: »
    Wow, that is a really bad ending. I think that the tragedy of Max's character is only enforced by the fact that everybody dies around him, and then they slap you in the face with that. Good thing I didn't finish the game on hard.
    It may not have been true to the tragic nature of Payne, but goddamn it, Max just needs to win one once in awhile.

Pretty much. After everything that's happened to him, I felt Max was deserving of at least a little break.
    In either ending he was happy. So I really don't see why they would make a new game other than wanting money. I have such high hopes for this game.
    No, he was resolved. "It was all right." That's not the same as being happy.

Alternately
    he snapped, which is why he had a "dream" of his dead wife.

SithDrummer on
  • Options
    Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Goomba is the anti-thesis of hype.

Zen Vulgarity on
  • Options
    subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited March 2009

I don't know, I always felt that Max Payne's story wouldn't come to an end until he was dead. It just seemed to fit with everything else in the games. That's why I was expecting it'd be a trilogy, and that he'd die in the final game.

Of course, now that they've said this is going to be the beginning of a "new chapter" in his story, I'm concerned it's just going to be rubbish and probably have a cliffhanger ending.

subedii on
  • Options
    edited March 2009

No, he was resolved. "It was all right." That's not the same as being happy.

Alternately
    he snapped, which is why he had a "dream" of his dead wife.
    Fine, he wasn't happy. He'd found peace, whatever you want to call it. He didn't need to go around killing and trying to make things right anymore. His story was over.

Alternately
    Yes, wow, he snapped. Did you not play the games at all or something?

Goomba on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I still have my original Max Payne mousepad that came with the game when it first came out.

On topic, this new MP is going to suck. I just know it. From the looks of things, no one involved in the original 2 games is involved with this new one. I have lost much faith in Rockstar after GTA4.

That_Guy on
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    You have no idea how fast I clicked on this thread once I saw it

I am sad that Remedy is not involved but fuck it, more Max Payne is all I need

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    Shorn Scrotum ManShorn Scrotum Man Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Hooooooly shit.

They better not fuck this up. Too many good memories.

Of course, I'll probably like it regardless of what they do with it. Fuck, I liked the movie even D:

Shorn Scrotum Man on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    That_Guy wrote: »
    I still have my original Max Payne mousepad that came with the game when it first came out.

On topic, this new MP is going to suck. I just know it. From the looks of things, no one involved in the original 2 games is involved with this new one. I have lost much faith in Rockstar after GTA4.

Hahahaha.

Okay.

Zen Vulgarity on
  • Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    That_Guy wrote: »

Well firstly it's a different Rockstar studio, and secondly, GTA IV was a good game with a downbeat ending.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    MarikirMarikir Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Let's see, as I recall, in Max Payne 2, part of Max's internal struggle comes from the fact that he's falling in love with Mona. To him, this feels like a betrayal of his wife and child. He's not completely moved beyond their deaths. Combine that with the fact that by becoming involved with him, Mona is also put at risk, again threatening his love.

I believe that at the end of the game, he's finally reached some sort of resolution and has layed his wife and infant daughter to rest. That's why he could dream of his dead wife and it was alright. He no longer felt survivor's guilt.

If you go with the Hard Ending, this peace comes with
    Mona's survival.
    In the normal ending, he earns this as well, but only through
    Mona's death.
    So, while he may not be completely happy, he's at least moved on through the events of the game.

Frankly, Max is messed up in the head. But then, I imagine coming home and finding your wife and infant daughter dead at the hands of psychotic druggies would probably push anyone over the edge.

I'm actually kind of curious to see if the new game involves any mythological referrences like the first one.

Marikir on
    steam_sig.png "Hiding in plain sight." PSN/XBL: Marikir
  • Options
    The GunslingerThe Gunslinger Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    How do you make Max more world wary and cynical? If I remember correctly, Max already was the definition of world wary and cynical (with a psychotic streak thrown in for good measure).

Having said that, totally stoked for Max Payne 3. I need something to get the movie out of my system.

The Gunslinger on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    I really don't see how this will be connected to the first or second games at all because
    The only two people left alive are Max and Bravura. And he's apparently not even in New York at all anymore.

I really can't see this as anything but a cash-in on the name. Not unlike a certain movie.

Goomba on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    tofutofu Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I love Max Payne but 2 was where to end it.

This "new chapter" bullshit sounds like crap; guess they have to milk the cash cow though.

tofu on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Well the ending of MP2 did say that Max's journey into the night would continue.

I presume that means more than he was just going to start jogging after work now.

subedii on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    The credits did, but Max's story ended with 2.

Clearly there was some kind of disagreement between Remedy and Rockstar

tofu on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    tofu wrote: »

I think it's just that Remedy are still busy with Alan Wake. Rockstar was always involved with the Max Payne franchise, so it's not a complete surprise that they'd take over development on a new one.

Not that I think it'll give the best results or anything, but you never know.

subedii on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Alternately
    Yes, wow, he snapped. Did you not play the games at all or something?
    You misunderstand me. I'm saying that under that other interpretation, that would mark the first time that he ever explicitly doubts the truth of what has happened to him.

You have a point about only him and Bravura remaining, which adds yet another reason for me to be wary. Maybe the entirety of MP3 will be five hours of soliloquizing while slowing lifting a gun to your head.

SithDrummer on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    I sure hope Järvi is working on this, at least. But if he's not, at least I won't have to even consider getting it.

Edit: Wait, what? What's all this about doubting the truth? Where did you get that from?

Goomba on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    They planned to make a 3 (I'll just assume the credits line was the initial plan.)

However, 2 failed to sell well. I think Rockstar took a hit financially that year and blamed it partially on the lackluster reception of 2. So, the plans for 3 were scrapped.

Now, the question is, does this current version of 3 follow the initial plans? Or, since it's a completely new developer, is it a new way of going about it. Frankly, they did tie up a lot in the second, but I'm sure there's more to explore. I'd have to play through it again (just twist my arm, why don't you) but I think there's a few things that could be examined.

As long as they don't make Max Payne 3 an open-world, sandbox game, I'll probably be interested.

Marikir on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Marikir wrote: »
    They planned to make a 3 (I'll just assume the credits line was the initial plan.)

However, 2 failed to sell well. I think Rockstar took a hit financially that year and blamed it partially on the lackluster reception of 2. So, the plans for 3 were scrapped.

It sold well by most standards, just not the jaw dropping numbers that the first game did. IIRC Max Payne 1 sold around 5 million units, where Max Payne 2 sold more like 2 million units. They were expecting much higher sales, and the game got labelled a disappointment when it didn't reach those, and they had to recast expected company profits that year as a result.

subedii on
  • Options
    anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    edited March 2009

This "new chapter" bullshit sounds like crap; guess they have to milk the cash cow though.
    I don't think I'd call MP a cash cow.

anoffday on
    Steam: offday
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Max Payne 1/2 named body count (IIRC) in order: (obviously spoilers)
    1. Max's wife Michelle
    2. Max's baby girl
    3. Max's partner Alex
    4. The Finito brothers
    5. Rico Muerte
    6. Candy the whore
    7. Jack Lupino
    8. Boris Dime
    9. Frankie 'The Bat' Niagra
    10. Mona's sister Lisa
    11. The Trio at Punchinello's
    12. Angelo Punchinello
    13. B. B.
    14. Inner Circle members aside from Lem and Woden
    15. Nicole Horne
    16. Det. Valerie Winterson
    17. Mike the Cowboy
    18. Vinnie Gognitti
    19. Alfred Woden
    20. Vladimir Lem
    21. Mona Sax

There really isn't any other named character besides Bravura I can think of. No wonder Maxie got out of NYC.

vvvv (2 posts down) oh yes

SithDrummer on
  • Options
    edited March 2009

I think it's just that Remedy are still busy with Alan Wake. Rockstar was always involved with the Max Payne franchise, so it's not a complete surprise that they'd take over development on a new one.

Not that I think it'll give the best results or anything, but you never know.

I've always heard that Remedy didn't want to make a third, I could be wrong though.

I'll see what I can dig up later.

tofu on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    1. Max's wife Michelle
    2. Max's baby girl
    3. Max's partner Alex
    4. The Finito brothers
    5. Rico Muerte
    6. Candy the whore
    7. Jack Lupino
    8. Frankie 'The Bat' Niagra
    9. B. B.
    10. Mona's sister Lisa
    12. Angelo Punchinello
    13. Boris Dime
    14. Nicole Horne
    15. Det. Valerie Winterson
    16. Mike the Cowboy
    17. Vinnie Gognitti
    18. Alfred Woden
    19. Vladimir Lem
    20. Mona Sax

There really isn't any other named character besides Bravura I can think of. No wonder he got out of NYC.
    Also, there's the
    Inner Circle. They all died.

Goomba on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    1. Max's wife Michelle
    2. Max's baby girl
    3. Max's partner Alex
    4. The Finito brothers
    5. Rico Muerte
    6. Candy the whore
    7. Jack Lupino
    8. Frankie 'The Bat' Niagra
    9. B. B.
    10. Mona's sister Lisa
    12. Angelo Punchinello
    13. Boris Dime
    14. Nicole Horne
    15. Det. Valerie Winterson
    16. Mike the Cowboy
    17. Vinnie Gognitti
    18. Alfred Woden
    19. Vladimir Lem
    20. Mona Sax

There really isn't any other named character besides Bravura I can think of. No wonder he got out of NYC.
    Also, there's the
    Inner Circle. They all died.

There's a thought, wonder if they'll try to tie the plot in via that obscure angle.

subedii on
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Wait, Bravura?
    I thought he died after he got blown away by the gunman. Or maybe he got medical attention, but I don't remember anything actually confirming he survived to the end of the game

Also, as important as the story is to a Max Payne game, as long as the shooting and the slow-mo and shit is as good or better than 2, I couldn't care less, quite frankly

The fact that the first two games had a fun story was just delicious icing on the super moist chocolate cake that was the gameplay

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    I really don't know how obscure the main (sub)plot is, but I hope not. That would be pretty stupid.

Edit About Bravura
    He gets shot in the hostpital, then they operate, Max thinks he'll live, then the news reports that he's in stable condition and awake.
    I think. It was something like that, at least.

Goomba on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    anoffday wrote: »

When the story is concluded and you begin to make sequels just to utilize brand recognition it becomes a cash cow.

tofu on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Yeah, it was a news report on a TV somewhere that mentioned Bravura being in stable condition.

SithDrummer on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Yeah, that's what happened to Bravura. His fate was referrenced in the news. If you didn't pay attention, you missed it.

anoffday wrote: »

When the story is concluded and you begin to make sequels just to utilize brand recognition it becomes a cash cow.

When they release Max Payne Racing 3: Race Noir-ier, then I'll say they are milking it.

I'm willing to give them the slight benefit of the doubt due to the credits (yes, flimsy, I know) of Max Payne 2. But, as with all things, we'll see when it's released.

Marikir on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Marikir wrote: »
    Yeah, that's what happened to Bravura. His fate was referrenced in the news. If you didn't pay attention, you missed it.

When they release Max Payne Racing 3: Race Noir-ier, then I'll say they are milking it.

I'm willing to give them the slight benefit of the doubt due to the credits (yes, flimsy, I know) of Max Payne 2. But, as with all things, we'll see when it's released.
    Sami Järvi! If he isn't working on this then it's probably a cash-in.

Goomba on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    WibodWibod Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    So it's being developed by Rockstar Vancouver, they made HW:Cataclysm and helped develop CS. They haven't done anything else noteworthy since then, but most of the previous staff ended up at Ironclad and made SoaSE. Sam Lake is also writing Alan Wake, so I'm excited but also not expecting much.

Wibod on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Not to be a smart ass, but...shouldn't the writing for Alan Wake be, I don't know...done by now? At least, the lion's share of it? Hell, I'm not a game writer, so obviously I don't know, but I would think that the plot has been mostly settled on by now.

::shrugs:: In any case, as winter approaches, we'll be able to get a better handle on what Payne 3 is going to be like.

Marikir on
This discussion has been closed.