As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Onlive - New Cloud Game Service

• Options
    agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I think they even have full online. I was able to do some splinter cell coop in the demo.

agoaj on
    ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    If they could just get a better library I'd be all set. Better yet - build their tech into Steam and I'd be a PC gamer again. If they would add the new Civ or Sims games I'd buy them. Heck, if they could make it so I could play WoW on my Netbook I'd probably consider starting playing that again too!

The primary issue I have at this point is simply there are no games that I want to play that I don't already have on my 360.

Lindsay Lohan on
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    If they could just get a better library I'd be all set. Better yet - build their tech into Steam and I'd be a PC gamer again. If they would add the new Civ or Sims games I'd buy them. Heck, if they could make it so I could play WoW on my Netbook I'd probably consider starting playing that again too!

The primary issue I have at this point is simply there are no games that I want to play that I don't already have on my 360.

That probably means only that you don't know enough about PC games.

Stormwatcher on
    Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I dont like how the games look or feel (trying to do acrobatics in Just Cause 2 causes me physical pain with the input delay), still with a TBS game it'd be cool

But even the cheapest notebooks you can get can handle TBS games

override367 on
  • Options
    OrogogusOrogogus San DiegoRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Civilization's requirements can be surprisingly high. I couldn't run Civ 4 on my laptop because I didn't have... T+L support, I think? And I hear Civ 5 can take excessively long AI turns on even powerful desktop machines.

Orogogus on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Well right, civ 5 is the worst optimized game to be released since civ 4 though

I can see it if they release civ 5 on onlive
    Olivaw wrote: »
    Man, I might just buy Assassin's Creed II and Splinter Cell for this

If I'm gonna have to have a constant internet connection for those games, I might as well tie them to a service that I can play anywhere with no hassle!

I couldn't handle the delay in splinter cell, it felt like I was controlling the mouse from across the room with a broom handle, make sure you've played through the demo first to be sure it doesnt bug you

override367 on
  • Options
    SudsSuds Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Well right, civ 5 is the worst optimized game to be released since civ 4 though

I can see it if they release civ 5 on onlive
    Olivaw wrote: »
    Man, I might just buy Assassin's Creed II and Splinter Cell for this

If I'm gonna have to have a constant internet connection for those games, I might as well tie them to a service that I can play anywhere with no hassle!

I couldn't handle the delay in splinter cell, it felt like I was controlling the mouse from across the room with a broom handle, make sure you've played through the demo first to be sure it doesnt bug you

It's really hit and miss. I wonder if it has to do with the game, because I didn't notice any control lag with Darksiders.

Suds on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I keep on getting network problems. I have no problem with any other online intensive programs and speed tests don't give me any problems even over decent periods of time.

Couscous on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    the game is also kind of blurry for me and I have a 24mbps connection.

My nephew loves the shit out of onlive but his computer is from many millennia ago. I don't think onlive is bad, it's just not for me

override367 on
  • Options
    MikeRyuMikeRyu Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Apparently I can't even begin because of latency issues. Just when I think I can actually get into PC gaming without the hassle it knocks me back again.

MikeRyu on
    Ranmasig5.png
  • Options
    Sleet01Sleet01 Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    MikeRyu wrote: »
    Apparently I can't even begin because of latency issues. Just when I think I can actually get into PC gaming without the hassle it knocks me back again.

According to the spiel I heard at PAX, OnLive relies on a combination of localized server centers and direct-routing agreements with ISPs to keep latency low. If you're not close to a server center or are not connected through one of the Big ISPs - Xfinity, Verizon, Qwest, what-have-you - you're probably SOL.

Sleet01 on
    And it's oh, boys, can't you code it <huh> and program it right;
    Nothin' ever happens in this life of mine.
    I'm haulin' out the data on the Xerox line!
  • Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Sleet01 wrote: »

According to the spiel I heard at PAX, OnLive relies on a combination of localized server centers and direct-routing agreements with ISPs to keep latency low. If you're not close to a server center or are not connected through one of the Big ISPs - Xfinity, Verizon, Qwest, what-have-you - you're probably SOL.

This looks like it might be the case. My college has Internet faster than a greased pig but OnLive keeps dropping my connection 2 minutes in because of latency. AKA it no worky. Nice try, OnLive.

TychoCelchuuu on
  • Options
    Sleet01Sleet01 Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I had a few thoughts, and am looking for slavish validation here:

1) OnLive needs to make Steam a server-side option, so you can buy/download games from Steam and use them through their service *OR* locally, as you wish. If I could use their service to play my already-purchased Steam games and have my saves available, I'd pay for a monthly subscription. As long as they have a separate pay system and don't have a reciprocal re-download system, why would I buy anything from them that I can get through Steam?

2) OnLive needs a home server option, possibly connected to Steam. There are old games I'd love to be able to host out from my box to Anywhere, and which will never be available on OnLive. I'd pay $50 for that software, and the stuff I want to play From Anywhere doesn't care about latency.

3) OnLive needs to make their experimental iPhone client available ASAP. Preferably in conjunction with 1) and 2). I'd pay $2.99, plus a *modest* subscription fee, to be able to play my Steam version of World of Goo on a bus ride, or to be able to host X-COM from my home machine to my iPhone. Having a centrally-controlled controller profile system would be nice too; one setup for WASD games, one for dual-analog games, one for mostly-mouse games would probably be enough.

What say you all?

Sleet01 on
    And it's oh, boys, can't you code it <huh> and program it right;
    Nothin' ever happens in this life of mine.
    I'm haulin' out the data on the Xerox line!
  • Options
    MerculoreMerculore Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    After reading the newspost I signed up to Onlive purely to spectate other people playing video games when I am too drunk to play them myself. Its like a G4 that doesnt suck and is LIVE, I frikk-in love it.

I will not be purchasing any "pretend" merchandise off the service but if a demo/voyeuristic observation of a game is cool enough I may rant about it to friends so that they might purchase it from the "store".
    The real store:
    Walmart/Target/Gamestop

Sorry if I'm doin it wrong fellas..

Merculore on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    I am literally addicted to watching people play JustCuzII.........

Pee breaks suck tho.

Merculore on
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited October 2010

This looks like it might be the case. My college has Internet faster than a greased pig but OnLive keeps dropping my connection 2 minutes in because of latency. AKA it no worky. Nice try, OnLive.

I'm also at college so that could explain it.

Couscous on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    I wonder...... Can the player I'm observing see me cheerin & jeerin?
    If so, so-so cool.
    If no, wasting clicks & giggles.

Merculore on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Couscous wrote: »

I'm also at college so that could explain it.

And guess what? I tried it tonight and it worked fine. I'd give it another go.

Darksiders actually worked perfectly, in fact. The graphics weren't as nice as I can get on my own computer but then again I could do this on a netbook. I liked how it informed me that people were spectating me. I felt like I should be doing some sort of color commentary or something.

TychoCelchuuu on
  • Options
    elliotw2elliotw2 Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    If they get a good collection of demos, this might be the best demo service ever made for the PC. 30 minutes of demo, no downloading, maybe control lag

elliotw2 on
    camo_sig2.pngXBL:Elliotw3|PSN:elliotw2
  • Options
    edited October 2010

Darksiders actually worked perfectly, in fact. The graphics weren't as nice as I can get on my own computer but then again I could do this on a netbook. I liked how it informed me that people were spectating me. I felt like I should be doing some sort of color commentary or something.
    If U R awesome @ the game I will totally watch you Side with the Dark.
    Speak yer Name-Tag and I will tune in to yer fox-news-game-channel Mr. Celebrity.

NO PEE BREAKS ALLOWED

Merculore on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    They really need to just let you use your steam account on this thing, even though I see limited use for it I could pretty much just sell my laptop since if I wanted to game I could use onlive on the school computers (or get a netbook instead)

override367 on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Merculore wrote: »

If U R awesome @ the game I will totally watch you Side with the Dark.
    Speak yer Name-Tag and I will tune in to yer fox-news-game-channel Mr. Celebrity.

NO PEE BREAKS ALLOWED

If I actually wanted to broadcast myself playing a game I wouldn't use OnLive, and I do in fact do game commentary on my YouTube channel. Also if I were to purchase Darksiders it would be for real, not on OnLive (I was playing the demo).

TychoCelchuuu on
  • Options
    XaviarXaviar Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I used to be able to play onlive.. Albeit with slight latency issues, though it didn't really bother me.

Haven't been able to get on since they went free though. "You connection is too high latency for good video" or whatever.

Xaviar on
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Xaviar wrote: »
    I used to be able to play onlive.. Albeit with slight latency issues, though it didn't really bother me.

Haven't been able to get on since they went free though. "You connection is too high latency for good video" or whatever.

Yeah, I've actually been trying it again today and I had a good connection for like ten minutes before it started getting real bad

I guess making it free opened them up to getting their servers hammered

You'd think they'd be more prepared for this sort of thing

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Man, the whole "try the game free for thirty minutes" thing is awesome for games like Splinter Cell, cuz you can just try out Deniable Ops and go "man, this game is pretty sick"

But then you get a game like Assassin's Creed 2, which is twenty five minutes of stupid cutscenes between characters no one cares about and brief moments of gameplay which involve talking to the stupid characters, running after the stupid characters, and maybe punching some guys, plus five minutes of actual gameplay featuring Etzio, the only likable character in the game that you get to see

That's a pretty shitty demo

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    This would be way too neat if I could launch Onlive directly from windows media center.
    Kudos to whoever figures that trick out first.

Merculore on
  • Options
    bigwahbigwah Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Merculore wrote: »
    This would be way too neat if I could launch Onlive directly from windows media center.
    Kudos to whoever figures that trick out first.

Easy to do. Download Media Center Studio, follow easy directions.

bigwah on
    LoL Tribunal:
    "Was cursing, in broken english at his team, and at our team. made fun of dead family members and mentioned he had sex with a dog."
    "Hope he dies tbh but a ban would do."
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    bigwah wrote: »
    Easy to do. Download Media Center Studio, follow easy directions.
    Wow dude, that is the coolest program. I got it working after only a few tries.
    Right the fuck on brother, mad kudos to you.

Gonna mess some more with that proggie!

Merculore on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Oh sweet-bottoms, it (onlive) even works with the media center remote control.

Merculore on
  • Options
    NackmatholnNackmatholn Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Sooo, It looks like Onlive is doing a pretty big sale for Halloween. Mafia 2 for $25. Borderlands for $10. Other things too. Sale ends at 11pm PST 10-31-10 (2am EST 11-1-10).

http://www.onlive.com/games/featuredgames

Nackmatholn on
    camo_sig2.png PSN - Nackmatholn
  • Options
    citizen059citizen059 hello my name is citizen I'm from the InternetRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Onlive has announced (officially) their console/box/whatever:

http://www.pcworld.com/article/211027/onlive_microconsole_to_cost_99_subscription_option_in_the_works.html
    onliveconsole.jpg

Interesting points in the story:

-The microconsole is $99
    -If you preorder you'll get one free game
    -"In addition to its rental and Full PlayPass plans, later this year OnLive will add a monthly flat-rate plan, providing unlimited access to a broad library of quality games and indie titles."

So a monthly fee that lets you play games, instead of having to rent or purchase individual games. This sounds much better IMO; as the article states, sort of a Netflix-like model.

citizen059 on
  • Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    That actually seems like a pretty good deal. Also, surprisingly decent-looking controller.

Glal on
  • Options
    citizen059citizen059 hello my name is citizen I'm from the InternetRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Yeah. And I'd much rather pay a monthly flat fee (depending on how much it is) to play some of those games rather than pay full price for them individually.

I know a lot of people say they don't like this sort of thing because they'd rather own the physical copy forever...but for me, it's rare that I feel like I'd need to. Most of the time, I play through a game once or twice and then I'm done with it.

I have a desk drawer full of CD's of old games going as far back as Wing Commander III, some of which haven't been installed in 10+ years and likely won't ever be played again. It was only last year I got rid of my original CD copy of Asheron's Call and Motor City Online.

citizen059 on
  • Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I've been debating getting the box, since I was actually extremely impressed when I played fully through Arkham Asylum over the service.

Depending on how much it is, the monthy-fee-for-full-access-to-everything version would be amazing.

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I'd wait until they specify just what that offer includes before jumping to conclusions, I imagine they'd need special permission from each publisher before they'd be allowed to do that. They said "a broad library", not "our broad library".

Glal on
  • Options
    ociousocious Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I just got two emails from OnLive thanking me for being a founding member and buying games. The first says they are giving me a free system and free game to go with it. The next email says I get another free game. What a hook up. I am a huge fan of OnLive, immensely impressed by the tech, but now they are getting all Valve like on me and earning my respect.

ocious on
    Life is a ____ , depending on how you dress her.
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Whoa, nice. Only got the free game one. Havn't decided what exactly to use it on yet, though.

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
  • Options
    XaviarXaviar Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Huh. Free game AND free console? Just got the emails too. Sold. Well, not really sold. You get the idea.

I like the idea of onlive, and will continue to keep an eye on them and continue to support them, but I need a better connection to use them as much as I'd like. =(

Sill, I have no problem accepting free things that will be awesome once my connection does get better =)

Xaviar on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Okay, after reading the blog, that makes more sense. You have to have bought two or more full PlayPasses before today to get the free console.

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
  • Options
    agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I don't think so, I've only bought a 3day Just Cause pass, and Trine when it was on sale for 4 bucks.

agoaj on
    ujav5b9gwj1s.png