As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The TV Thread: Holiday 2010 has ALREADY begun!

• taliosfalcontaliosfalcon Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    xzzy wrote: »
    Scrublet wrote: »
    The LCD I got is viewable from any angle and the picture seems clear and sharp, so as far as I'm concerned, LCD screens are equivalent to plasmas, with none of the downsides.

You can possibly make a statement that you personally don't notice it, but asserting that LCD screens are equivalent to plasmas in off-angle viewing is retarded. It is not debatable whether LCDs wash their color out and fade off-angle...they do. And while I can't speak from experience, not being a professional screen reviewer, apparently they do it equally from the $12,000 screens you can't find in stores right down to the bottom-barrel lowest end screen at Best Buy.

I don't notice color fading on my LCD until I'm watching it almost exactly to one side. It's still watchable at least.. when most everyone I've ever talked to acts like LCD screens disappear as soon as you view from anywhere except the exact center.

A weakness I can tolerate when the alternative is burn-in.
    I think its fair to say that the majority of people won't notice color shifting for off angle viewing on good LCD HDTVs unless they're in a dark room walking back and forth in front of the tv specifically looking for it.

taliosfalcon on
    steam xbox - adeptpenguin
  • Post BluePost Blue Redmond, WARegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Taximes wrote: »
    I guess my question is: as a gamer, should burn-in even be making me hesitate about buying this?

Everything I see seems to say, "Burning-in is really hard to do nowadays! (as long as you adhere to the 151 enclosed protocols and perform the necessary bewitching rituals each Thursday within one hour of sundown)." I can easily turn the TV off rather than leaving it on pause, and I can deal with a breaking-in period of 100-200 hours, but I'm not too keen on having to change my gaming/TV habits for as long as I have this TV. I tend to pick games and plow through them, playing one game until I beat it or get sick of it. What about 2-3 hours a day on average? I don't play every day, but I do enjoy some marathon sessions now and again.

Should I opt for the cheap, prettyful plasma now, or wait until I can afford an LCD with a higher refresh rate?

I went with the "cheap" plasma (got my Pio 5020FD @ $2300, then for $2000 after doing a price match at best buy this week). I've had it two weeks now, and I have punished the thing with games. I have the exact same gaming habits as you, mostly on the PS3 with some Wii at the moment. The first thing I noticed is that most games don't even have static images anymore...almost all the games I play either move the HUD (in response to motion) or hide things (like health when I'm not being hit). I've done three hour movies with black letterbox, etc., and never even seen image retention. I did a huge amount of reading in the two months leading up to this purchase trying to get a solid handle on burn-in. The following facts seem to be pretty reliable:

-It takes AWHILE to burn something in. You will have sufficient warning that you are doing so. During your marathon session, every few hours just watch something else for a few minutes and see if you notice any image retention (the correctible precursor to burn-in). If you see image retention, most TVs have a built-in feature to blow it away using preloaded screens. Most TVs also have a feature that you can run constantly in the background that imperceptibly shifts pixels to reduce the chance of burn-in.

-Treating the TV nice for its first 150 hours helps ensure that all the phosphors break-in evenly. They age/deteriorate the fastest during this time period...aging them evenly early on means that you will have to age specific pixels MUCH harsher later on to achieve burn-in.

If you don't mind dealing with that, plasma will be fine. If not, wait for LCD. The reason I'm willing to go pro-plasma right now is the insanely high price of LCDs...Samsung's newest LED line is $3,000+, and it doesn't even do local dimming like last year's A950 line did...and Sony is even MORE expensive!

Edit: I thought about it, are you intending on using this TV for WoW? I feel confident gaming with 99% of games, but the sheer amount of static images from some people's UI-mods plus the incredibly long, repeated sessions WoW usually encourages would make me concerned about a plasma. When I rebuild my comp I will probably reactivate WoW for the hell of it for a month or two but I am going to be damn careful the whole time.
    As an owner of multiple plasmas, I can appreciate all the advice you offer here, and I'm conscientious enough to observe it myself, but the fact is that many of people can’t even be bothered to read a few paragraphs to inform their viewing habits, let alone set babysitting intervals throughout their game time. It’s unfortunate for picture quality, and I’m an advocate for plasma, but everyone has their own priorities.

Post Blue on
    Moments before the wind.
  • ScrubletScrublet Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Post Blue wrote: »
    As an owner of multiple plasmas, I can appreciate all the advice you offer here, and I'm conscientious enough to observe it myself, but the fact is that many of people can’t even be bothered to read a few paragraphs to inform their viewing habits, let alone set babysitting intervals throughout their game time. It’s unfortunate for picture quality, and I’m an advocate for plasma, but everyone has their own priorities.

I totally agree, and if someone comes in here asking what TV he should buy, and says he doesn't want to have to think about how to use it, I'm definitely not going to say "here's this great plasma man." Taximes doesn't like the motion blur on LCD, so he's going to want to watch his habits and go plasma. Most of that advice I typed out is pretty conservative though...you really can abuse these panels nowadays and get away with murder. The prime reason these plasmas are so cheap is residual fear from the early-gens. When LED LCDs start coming down in price and when Samsung recovers from their stupidity with this year's line, I'm guessing the race will start getting closer in picture quality.

Scrublet on
    subedii wrote: »
    I hear PC gaming is huge off the coast of Somalia right now.

PSN: TheScrublet
  • RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Hey all, how do these TVs stack up? Whatever I end up buying will be used primarily for gaming with a 360 and PS2 (no, that is not a typo)

LG 42" with 4ms / 120hz refresh for $1200

Sharp 42" 6ms for $1000

Also, while I have read the OP I know jack about HDTVs.

RiemannLives on
    Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Right chaps, still looking for advice on these Bravias. I'm currently looking at the V5500 but I don't know how it'll look with a 360 running on it. I've seen the S5500 in action and it looks just fine, but I'd be tempted up to the next model if it improves on things at all. Anyone know these and got some advice?

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • TaximesTaximes Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    snip

I went with the "cheap" plasma (got my Pio 5020FD @ $2300, then for $2000 after doing a price match at best buy this week). I've had it two weeks now, and I have punished the thing with games. I have the exact same gaming habits as you, mostly on the PS3 with some Wii at the moment. The first thing I noticed is that most games don't even have static images anymore...almost all the games I play either move the HUD (in response to motion) or hide things (like health when I'm not being hit). I've done three hour movies with black letterbox, etc., and never even seen image retention. I did a huge amount of reading in the two months leading up to this purchase trying to get a solid handle on burn-in. The following facts seem to be pretty reliable:

-It takes AWHILE to burn something in. You will have sufficient warning that you are doing so. During your marathon session, every few hours just watch something else for a few minutes and see if you notice any image retention (the correctible precursor to burn-in). If you see image retention, most TVs have a built-in feature to blow it away using preloaded screens. Most TVs also have a feature that you can run constantly in the background that imperceptibly shifts pixels to reduce the chance of burn-in.

-Treating the TV nice for its first 150 hours helps ensure that all the phosphors break-in evenly. They age/deteriorate the fastest during this time period...aging them evenly early on means that you will have to age specific pixels MUCH harsher later on to achieve burn-in.

If you don't mind dealing with that, plasma will be fine. If not, wait for LCD. The reason I'm willing to go pro-plasma right now is the insanely high price of LCDs...Samsung's newest LED line is $3,000+, and it doesn't even do local dimming like last year's A950 line did...and Sony is even MORE expensive!

Edit: I thought about it, are you intending on using this TV for WoW? I feel confident gaming with 99% of games, but the sheer amount of static images from some people's UI-mods plus the incredibly long, repeated sessions WoW usually encourages would make me concerned about a plasma. When I rebuild my comp I will probably reactivate WoW for the hell of it for a month or two but I am going to be damn careful the whole time.

Thanks for the advice. After thinking about it some more I've come to the realization that my hesitation isn't from watching for burn-in, it's just from the fear that it'll still happen somehow and ruin my $800 purchase. :P

And no, no WoW. I occasionally hook my PC up to the TV to watch movies or shows on it from the couch, but that's about it. I still do PC gaming at the desk.

Taximes on
    edited April 2009
    darleysam wrote: »
    Right chaps, still looking for advice on these Bravias. I'm currently looking at the V5500 but I don't know how it'll look with a 360 running on it. I've seen the S5500 in action and it looks just fine, but I'd be tempted up to the next model if it improves on things at all. Anyone know these and got some advice?

You being in UK, I'm not very familiar with the TVs. I went ahead to Sony UK out of curiosity to check out the differences (as an aside, I absolutely hate Sony's model number scheme). I'm going 100% off on-paper numbers here, which I've mentioned isn't always the best idea, but it seems like the V is an improvement for not much extra money. If you're planning on using the TV speakers, the V has several more options in terms of sound mode. More importantly, the V is using a different Bravia Engine and may have better contrast. I say may because it's advertising a higher dynamic contrast ratio, which while being completely bullshit on its own MAY indicate a higher native contrast ratio, which is slightly more useful.

If you can find the two TVs near each other in a store, ask to set them to identical settings (color, contrast, mode, etc.) If you can tell the difference go V otherwise save and go S. And while you're there, look at Samsung 6 Series LCDs...Samsung and Sony often have identical quality with Sony being more expensive simply because they are Sony.

Scrublet on

• TaximesTaximes Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    So, are there any significant differences between the Samsung PN42B450 and its counterpart from last year, the PN42A450? The only thing I've noticed, aside from price, is that last year's has an S-Video input, so I'm considering if that's worth an extra $40 to me.

Taximes on
    edited April 2009
    So, are there any significant differences between the Samsung PN42B450 and its counterpart from last year, the PN42A450? The only thing I've noticed, aside from price, is that last year's has an S-Video input, so I'm considering if that's worth an extra $40 to me.

I found this link: http://tvlampsnbulbs.com/2009/03/pn42a450-vs-pn42b450-plasma-hdtv/
    I've still not seen much on 2009 TV reviews, I'd go ahead and grab the newer one.

Scrublet on

edited April 2009
    fischer60 wrote: »
    Finding the best LCD TV can be quite difficult if one has no clue at all about HDTV's. The expert reviews are good instruments in acquainting about certain products. They proved helpful when I bought my first lcd tv.

Right off the bat, if a site is listing a Panasonic panel from 2007 as higher than the Pioneer Elite, which is almost unanimously considered to be the best TV ever made, you know something is very wrong. Not to mention it lists a Vizio panel with an equal average score to an Elite, and lists the top TV as a Sony XBR6 when Sony themselves make much better sets than that. Lets look at some of the "Expert Reviewers" listed under there:

ProductWiki - Doesn't even do reviews in the sense of the word, just a couple specs and some nobody's opinion rating
    Wired - Go read one of their reviews...one step up from ProductWiki. Wired is a great news site...not so good at reviewing products.
    electronicsme - again, another review that doesn't do anything except list manufacturer specs
    CNET - When one of their actual people does a review, it's not always half bad. Too bad half the links in that site are simply linking to product briefs...which is good education about HDTVs but still not an actual review of the TV.

I don't mean to trash that site that helped you, but any good reviewer should tell you what standards they reviewed with besides "we watched this and it was pretty cool." When looking for reviews, I would stick 100% to home-theater mag/sites and audiophile/videophile mag/sites...people who review this equipment and ONLY this equipment. AVSforum also has some people that give new meaning to the word obsessive about this subject. If you see reviews handing out 100% scores to TVs they are full of shit, because every single TV out there has an imperfection that needs work.

Scrublet on

edited April 2009
    darleysam wrote: »

You being in UK, I'm not very familiar with the TVs. I went ahead to Sony UK out of curiosity to check out the differences (as an aside, I absolutely hate Sony's model number scheme). I'm going 100% off on-paper numbers here, which I've mentioned isn't always the best idea, but it seems like the V is an improvement for not much extra money. If you're planning on using the TV speakers, the V has several more options in terms of sound mode. More importantly, the V is using a different Bravia Engine and may have better contrast. I say may because it's advertising a higher dynamic contrast ratio, which while being completely bullshit on its own MAY indicate a higher native contrast ratio, which is slightly more useful.

If you can find the two TVs near each other in a store, ask to set them to identical settings (color, contrast, mode, etc.) If you can tell the difference go V otherwise save and go S. And while you're there, look at Samsung 6 Series LCDs...Samsung and Sony often have identical quality with Sony being more expensive simply because they are Sony.

I did mention Samsungs to the guy I know when I was testing out the xbox, he said they don't stock them there because of reliability issues. It's the first I'd heard, but apparently they got tired of dealing with returns and faults, so stopped stocking them. As for my actual purchase, I decided to just say "what the hell" and buy the V5500. I'm hoping it'll arrive tomorrow, but it may be on monday instead :(

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • GrundlterrorGrundlterror Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Alright, I've been working for a bit and depositing extra money (something I rarely do) for the last few weeks and I've decided that I want to spend it on an HDTV. My SDTV has just got to go. Since I'm going through the trouble to save for this, I figure I might as well get a fucking awesome one.

I mainly use my tv for movies and gaming... I rarely watch cable (except sports).

I'd like to get a 50" at least.. although somewhere in the 40s would be acceptable also.

When I play video games I usually pull up a chair til I'm about 4 feet away from the TV, makes me feel immersed (even on my SDTV) so 1080p would probably be the preferred option for me. Plus, I'm just one of those people who would regret not going to 1080... even if 1080 isn't necessary (if someone can convince me otherwise I'd be willing to change my mind though).

I think I would prefer Plasma to LCD. Prices on Plasmas seem to be lower, the tv is going to be put in my basement so there would be very little light and I am not too concerned about burn-in. How exactly does burn-in work... say if I fell asleep while watching a dvd and when I wake up in the morning and its been on the DVD menu (static image) all night. Will I have burn-in then? Is there usually a sleep mode built into the TV? This feature that slightly moves pixels in the background to prevent burn-in... does it have a name (so I can check if the tvs that I'm looking at have this feature)? It really doesn't sound like LCD has many advantages over Plasma in my situation. Would you say this to be true?

Finally, I have about $1000 saved up for the TV right now with a $300 tax refund coming... so thats about $1400 I have for the TV. Honestly, I want to spend around this amount but if it's a bit more expensive I can wait another week or so.

So... with these details, what kind of HDTV should I get? Is my preference of Plasma over LCD justified? I'm very excited about this... but this is going to be the biggest single entertainment purchase I've ever made so I'm trying to do as much research as possible.

Thanks! <3

Grundlterror on
    steam_sig.png
  • chasmchasm Ill-tempered Texan Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    For that much money, you could get this LG. I love my LG 42LBX, which was the smaller predecessor to the one I linked. Best blacks I've seen aside from plasmas and the new LED LCD TVs. When it comes to plasmas, you really can't do better than Panasonic Vieras, IMHO, unless you're willing to pay the premium for a Pioneer that's no longer in production.

In your situation, the only disadvantage of a plasma is power consumption. That aside, burn-in isn't nearly as much of a concern as it used to be, but you could see some temporary effects from a game with a constant HUD, and that'll go away given enough time.

chasm on
    steam_sig.png
    XBL : lJesse Custerl | MWO: Jesse Custer | Best vid ever. | 2nd best vid ever.
  • ImprovoloneImprovolone Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Since its going in the basement, have you considered one of Samsungs LED engine DLPs? 67 inches/$1800 or 61/$1450.
    I love those TVs. So hard.

Improvolone on
    Voice actor for hire. My time is free if your project is!
    edited April 2009
    On the plasmas I was looking at the other day, they had that weird double-image effect (an LG and Panasonic side by side). That put me right off considering one.

On my own news, the Bravia came this morning and I got about 2 minutes with it before leaving my brother to play on it while I went to work :( It's on component at the moment, but I'm going to look for a good HDMI.

I'll post some opinions of it tonight or tomorrow, once I've had time to test it out.

edit: son of a bitch.. is it component or composite?

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
    edited April 2009
    Component. Composite is the red-white-yellow combo.

chasm on
    steam_sig.png
    edited April 2009
    Cheers. Another thing I was wondering, are there any guides to setting this thing up properly? Also when I set the TV to component and put the 360 on 1080p, it said something about displaying at 50hz. Is that normal or something I need to change?

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
    edited April 2009
    Pretty sure that's normal for PAL countries. I think.

As for settings, my advice would be to note the model number and do a search for it on AVS Forums. Someone's bound to have put up some decent settings.

chasm on
    steam_sig.png
  • ImprovoloneImprovolone Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    And someone in an earlier thread posted comparisons on the calibration he did vs numbers pulled from AVS and they were pretty much the same.

Improvolone on
    Voice actor for hire. My time is free if your project is!
    edited April 2009
    Which forums are these?
    You know, I've got the Halo 3 Legendary Edition, which has some kind of calibration thing on that. Would running through that help things?

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    It would probably help for Halo 3.

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
    edited April 2009
    Yeah, I figured it'd get me that far, but wasn't sure if it would be good as a general calibration tool that I might already have.

Further investigation will take place!

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • xzzyxzzy Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    The Halo 3 calibration does basically the same tests that any other calibration dvd will offer, just with Bungie characters and humor.

It probably won't give "optimal" for all situations but it's a good ballpark.

xzzy on
  • Dr. FaceDr. Face King of Pants Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Anyone have experience with the Samsung LCD 46B550? (or any other size within that series) Got a good writeup at CNET and customer reviews at various sites are generally good with the occasional bad review for product defect. Could be buying it this weekend after I take a look at comparable Sony Bravia's. Also, none of the 120hz model seem to be in my price range - is it really all that important? I understand the tech but have never actually seen it in comparison to 60.

Dr. Face on
    jswidget.php?username=DrFace&numitems=10&text=none&images=small&show=top10&imagepos=left&inline=1&imagewidget=1.png
    edited April 2009
    I was seriously considering the LN46B550, until I got an awesome deal on a LN46A650 at best buy.

It looked really nice in the store. The only downside I had to say about it was it didn't do 120hz, which is one of those subjective things. I really like the 120hz on the screen I ended up buying. It's not a night/day type of difference, it's just a subtle change in the image that worked well with me. I understand many people really dislike it.

If the A650 hadn't been such a good deal, I would have bought the B550. It held up well against a $2000 Panasonic that was sitting right next to it, if that tells you anything.

xzzy on
  • Dr. FaceDr. Face King of Pants Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I was seriously considering the LN46B550, until I got an awesome deal on a LN46A650 at best buy.

It looked really nice in the store. The only downside I had to say about it was it didn't do 120hz, which is one of those subjective things. I really like the 120hz on the screen I ended up buying. It's not a night/day type of difference, it's just a subtle change in the image that worked well with me. I understand many people really dislike it.

If the A650 hadn't been such a good deal, I would have bought the B550. It held up well against a $2000 Panasonic that was sitting right next to it, if that tells you anything.

What do people dislike about 120? Thanks for the info - I saw the B550 in store as well and it really did match up well against other LCD's around it that cost much more.

Dr. Face on
    jswidget.php?username=DrFace&numitems=10&text=none&images=small&show=top10&imagepos=left&inline=1&imagewidget=1.png
    edited April 2009
    The 120hz is kind of jarring when you watch a CGI heavy movie.

Malkor on
    edited April 2009
    Complaints it puts artifacts in the image, or it "looks like ass", like someone was filming on a cell phone.. unspecific complaints like that. Like the image is "too real".

But there's a lot of confusion with the topic. There's "120hz", and there's "Auto Motion Plus", which is some kind of wacky frame interpolation that tries to reduce blurring between two frames. I think some people complaining about the 120hz are actually complaining about AMP. The real benefit of 120hz is that the amount of cycles per second is evenly divisable by 24, which is the standard number of frames per second. On a 60hz screen, every other frame is held for 3 cycles. On a 120hz screen, every frame is held for 5 cycles.

The problem is that people tend to prefer what they're used to. They see a 120hz screen and are uncomfortable because there's something wrong with the image they can't put their finger on.. specifically, every frame spends the same amount of time on the screen. AMP compounds the problem by 'creating' frames and inserting them between 'real' frames to try and make motion even smoother. This does not always work well.

xzzy on
    edited April 2009
    Dr. Face wrote: »
    Also, none of the 120hz model seem to be in my price range - is it really all that important?

Please make sure you're talking about the right thing here. The important spec is the 120 Hz refresh rate that helps the LCD cope with quicker movement. However, manufacturers have started pairing that spec with their features that smooth movies. THIS IS NOT WHAT THE 120HZ WAS SUPPOSED TO DEAL WITH. The extra movie effect is what people hate about 120Hz...in movies and such it looks TOO smooth.

The 120 Hz is useful in general operation. The smooth-movie option should be disabled. (posted this without looking closely...xzzy nailed it.)

Scrublet on

• ClipseClipse Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    The important spec is the 120 Hz refresh rate that helps the LCD cope with quicker movement

No, the important part is that 120 is the least common multiple of 60 and 24, meaning that a 120Hz LCD can display both 24Hz (film) and 60Hz (TV/console) content natively. A higher refresh rate adds nothing to the ability to cope with quicker motion, except a guaranteed upper bound on the response time.

Clipse on
  • RaynagaRaynaga Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I wanted to give an update; the old version of this thread guided me to my purchase of this several months ago. Picture below:
    IMG_0591.jpg

This damn thing has been one of the best purchases of my life. Its huge, the price was great, the picture quality is amazing, and it handles anything I throw at it (blu-ray, gaming, television sd/hd) equally well.

So thank you TV Thread, I am happy to report that your earlier advice led me to a great product. And to anyone wondering about DLP: its a tremendous buy.

Raynaga on
    edited April 2009
    Alright, so I just pretty much impulse bought a Samsung PN50A460 without really checking out reviews. Great, kinda regretting it now. The ad said it was a 50" 1080p plasma but now I'm doubting that is actually true. I really can't find much information on the PN50A460 online (even on Samsungs own website).

My question is what the hell did I buy? It was only $800... so I figured a 50" 1080p Samsung Plasma is definitely worth it... I'm saving myself some money. Help!

Grundlterror on
    steam_sig.png
    edited April 2009
    Since its going in the basement, have you considered one of Samsungs LED engine DLPs? 67 inches/$1800 or 61/$1450.

I'm looking at these (HL61A750 61" in particular) and I noticed it only has a 10,000:1 contrast ratio... is that going to be a problem?

Grundlterror on
    steam_sig.png
  • taliosfalcontaliosfalcon Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Alright, so I just pretty much impulse bought a Samsung PN50A460 without really checking out reviews. Great, kinda regretting it now. The ad said it was a 50" 1080p plasma but now I'm doubting that is actually true. I really can't find much information on the PN50A460 online (even on Samsungs own website).

My question is what the hell did I buy? It was only $800... so I figured a 50" 1080p Samsung Plasma is definitely worth it... I'm saving myself some money. Help!
    As far as I can tell from google its only 720P although from the resolution (1365 x 768 pixels) i'm guessing it also does 1080i, maybe thats what the ad said? Doesn't seem like an amazing deal for that price, but its not bad either.

taliosfalcon on
    steam xbox - adeptpenguin
    edited April 2009

I'm looking at these (HL61A750 61" in particular) and I noticed it only has a 10,000:1 contrast ratio... is that going to be a problem?

http://www.practical-home-theater-guide.com/contrast-ratio.html should prove helpful

TLDR: No

Raynaga on
    edited April 2009
    Raynaga wrote: »

http://www.practical-home-theater-guide.com/contrast-ratio.html should prove helpful

Ah, I see. Thanks for the link! So I think I'm going to return the PN50A460 (which will be easy since I didn't actually pick it up yet) and go with the HL61A750. Whats the deal with this model, why is it so much cheaper than other LEDs?

Grundlterror on
    steam_sig.png
    edited April 2009

Ah, I see. Thanks for the link! So I think I'm going to return the PN50A460 (which will be easy since I didn't actually pick it up yet) and go with the HL61A750. Whats the deal with this model, why is it so much cheaper than other LEDs?
    It's not an LED LCD, it's LED DLP. :|

Malkor on
    edited April 2009
    Malkor wrote: »

So this is very bad? Would I be better off going Plasma??

Grundlterror on
    steam_sig.png
    edited April 2009

Not sure, to be honest. Here's the CNET review for it. Its a sister model of the one I have in the post a couple up from here. Mine's been a fantastic set. The only reason I could think of to not go LED DLP is if you wanted to wall-mount.
    Malkor wrote: »

Yeah, again, unless you are wall-mounting, there is absolutely nothing wrong with LED DLP. The old 70+ version of this thread is what led me to buy mine, and I haven't regretted it at all. Its easily the best balance of picture quality, size, and price. Numerous posters in that thread (and this one) can back me up on that one.

Raynaga on
  • ClipseClipse Registered User regular
    edited April 2009

That site reads like a whole bunch of bullshit without any (actual, cited) scientific support as far as I can tell. The notion that nothing higher than 50:1 is worthwhile in a dimly lit room is absurd - I can tell the difference in contrast between my LCD and an older CRT in even a fairly well-lit room, and in a dimly-lit room it's a night-and-day difference. And both displays are far over 50:1.

The only thing I can guess is that perhaps this was written about front projection displays (for which contrast really does suffer very badly from even dim lighting) and the website's staff assumed direct-view displays would be the same.

EDIT: I should probably clarify, I agree that 10,000:1 is a perfectly good contrast ratio for a DLP display. I just felt I should point out that that website is, in general, bogus.

Clipse on
This discussion has been closed.